Old 05-07-2020, 07:23 PM

Am I wrong, really want to know. I texted pastors wife and said a business messaged me saying they were taking applications, to pick up paper one. I told her to pray I could find a ride there(cant walk into food places til the 21st). She said why didn't I just come out and ask her. She said it was pushy and offensive to hint around. Pastor called and explained for 45 minutes that I'm the only one who doesn't ask directly and everyone finds that offensive. Sigh.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:13 PM

I wouldn't even try to be friends with people like these two. This is just too negative and manipulative... and probably half of what they say is untrue as well (everyone does not find you offensive).
Old 05-08-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
And while we're at it... how about a full door for the shower? Lately I'm seeing these half or even quarter doors, and the water inevitably gets all over the bathroom floor. Who the hell thought of this? Solutions for problems that don't exist! We know how showers should work - get back to basics!
OMG, that sounds exactly like the bathroom at the hotel where we stayed for a family wedding last summer. Talke the shower, walk through a puddle to the other side where you left your clothes. End up taking clothes into the room itself so you can dry off and change. Which kind of defeats the entire purpose :eyeroll:
Old 05-08-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
OMG, that sounds exactly like the bathroom at the hotel where we stayed for a family wedding last summer. Talke the shower, walk through a puddle to the other side where you left your clothes. End up taking clothes into the room itself so you can dry off and change. Which kind of defeats the entire purpose :eyeroll:
After my post I realized it gets worse - there is no surface on which to put anything in the shower, and no place to hang a towel. Have to put soap and stuff on the floor. Unbelievable.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

It almost sounds as if such hotels are trying to tacitly discourage their guests from taking showers in the first place.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Am I wrong, really want to know. I texted pastors wife and said a business messaged me saying they were taking applications, to pick up paper one. I told her to pray I could find a ride there(cant walk into food places til the 21st). She said why didn't I just come out and ask her. She said it was pushy and offensive to hint around. Pastor called and explained for 45 minutes that I'm the only one who doesn't ask directly and everyone finds that offensive. Sigh.
Why did you listen to him for 45 minutes? I'd have hung up on him in the first minute. You don't owe him anything beyond the barest minimum amount of courtesy. He called you, you didn't call him. I would find a different church where the pastor isn't as judgmental.

Last edited by cochrane; 05-08-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:40 AM

I plan to. There have been other red flags I've not mentioned. He's preached many a time about how no one is born gay and it's a sin, etc. It was so nice at first. Always look for red flags, I overlooked them with my ex.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I plan to. There have been other red flags I've not mentioned. He's preached many a time about how no one is born gay and it's a sin, etc. It was so nice at first. Always look for red flags, I overlooked them with my ex.
My take on the old saying is: I love wearing my rose-colored glasses, but I have to remember that when I do, red flags just look like "Ooh, fun! Flags!"
Old 05-08-2020, 12:36 PM

Not a rant, but nowhere else to really put this (not in MPSIMS or CS):

Blue cheese and coffee is a HORRIBLE combination. Thankfully, the taste doesn't linger, but it's bad.

That is all.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:45 PM

My BIL is a fucking nutjob and this pandemic has brought out the very worst in him. Only he's not going the direction of "freedom or die," he's more along the lines of, "breathing outside air means certain death."

As a result, neither he nor my nephews have left the house. Since March 10th. It's almost been two fucking months. And when I say "left the house," I mean, "walked into the back yard" or "went on a walk." My sister is miserable. She has to go through a "decontamination zone" whenever she goes to the grocery. Before she goes to the grocery, there is an hour-long discussion of her "strategy." When she returns, she secretly washes the bleach solutions he sprays directly onto the vegetables.

I don't get it. If I were in the same situation I would probably have separated at the very least. Unfortunately my BIL isn't working. He keeps telling my sister his therapist thinks his behavior is totally "appropriate," but therapists are generally only as good as the information they're provided, and I'm relatively sure she hasn't been told that he hasn't physically crossed the threshold of their home in two months or that he's told the kids that even allergies are a potential sign of illness. I'm sure he hasn't mentioned that their eldest washes his hands raw because he's terrified he'll get sick. Or that the kid screams at people from the doorway if he thinks they're walking too close.

Anyway, I feel for her. And I can't imagine what it might be like to live with that kind of terror so consistently. But it fucking pisses me off at the same time.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
My BIL is a fucking nutjob and this pandemic has brought out the very worst in him. Only he's not going the direction of "freedom or die," he's more along the lines of, "breathing outside air means certain death."

As a result, neither he nor my nephews have left the house. Since March 10th. It's almost been two fucking months. And when I say "left the house," I mean, "walked into the back yard" or "went on a walk." My sister is miserable. She has to go through a "decontamination zone" whenever she goes to the grocery. Before she goes to the grocery, there is an hour-long discussion of her "strategy." When she returns, she secretly washes the bleach solutions he sprays directly onto the vegetables.
So it's okay for HER to go out of the house but too dangerous for him to do so, even if he goes through the same decontamination she does?

There's a lot more wrong in that marriage than his being a nutjob.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
So it's okay for HER to go out of the house but too dangerous for him to do so, even if he goes through the same decontamination she does?

There's a lot more wrong in that marriage than his being a nutjob.
Yeah, that's the other problem I have. It seems to be all about him - he doesn't seem worried that his family might get sick. It's that HE might get sick. Which also pisses me off. I have never once heard him express a substantial amount of concern for his family getting sick over and above that they might get him sick if they catch the virus.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:25 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

There is a whole parade of red flags regarding that church and its pastor, assuming your description is accurate. One can safely conclude that their theology does not permit female ministers to be ordained (or whatever their equivalent is of ordination); however, from your posts it is more than obvious that the wife is the de facto leader of the church.

Second, it is not likely that they don;t read anything other than the Bible and church-approved literature. What they expect, nay demand is for their flock to only read what the pastor/wife approve and to accept the pastor/wife's interpretation.

Next, the behavior of the wife towards you is nothing short of abuse. She complained about you not being direct, but her indirect method of belittling you and insulting you is one that can only come about through dedicated and constant practice.

Look, I have no problem with Evangelicalism for the most part, what I have a problem (actually a few problems with) is the behavior of certain Evangelicals and their extremism. Those two people in that church are extremists. One of my favorites of my own sayings is "An extreme position is extremely wrong". Those two are extremely wrong.

And what hold do they have over you? It seems to be financial. You mentioned earlier that you have been "income-free" for a year, but rely on them for your rent. You can get government assistance for that, especially now. Heck, I would not be surprised if they condemned you for even thinking about seeking government assistance, but the "help" those two proffer is tied with a Gordian Knot. And don't forget that they are not, according to the Bible, supposed to be doing that for their own glory (such as being indebted somehow to them), but for God's glory.

Your best bet is to take another poster's advice and find yourself another venue for your spiritual nourishment, and don't forget to check on the government programs available.

Last edited by Monty; 05-08-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:42 PM

The rent is one third of income, or 25 dollars. Good news is I got my stimulus check so no worries about that. Thanks for the feedback, sometimes people can see things in ones situation that you can't, but enough was enough. They will assume I am being rebellious and not teachable but I answer to God.Tomorrow I was supposed to get my printed certificate of membership.

Last edited by SuntanLotion; 05-08-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:50 PM

This is her third husband, who keeps saying no one is born gay, and gay people can't get to heaven, and he knows my son was gay.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

How about a rant unrelated to the virus, for a change? It's more than a week into May, and it was snowing earlier today. We've yet to get two nice warm days in a row this entire spring. Usually, by now, it should be above 60 more often than not, and it's snowing.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:29 PM

Could we split the difference, please? It's 95F here, and I don't get along well with temperatures over about 80-ish.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
This is her third husband, who keeps saying no one is born gay, and gay people can't get to heaven, and he knows my son was gay.

Extremist Christian "leader" with more than one marriage? Nah, nobody saw that one coming.

By the way, "was gay"? Is your son still alive? One does not become Gay or stop being Gay; it's not a choice.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:20 PM

He died three years ago this month. I was a supportive mom. Pastor claims no one can be born gay, but he hasn't read about the hormone bath a fetus gets at about eight weeks to form a masculinized brain and body, and sometimes it doesn't run according to plan. I had been quite polite considering the things he's said. I've always been too polite that way.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
How about a rant unrelated to the virus, for a change? It's more than a week into May, and it was snowing earlier today. We've yet to get two nice warm days in a row this entire spring. Usually, by now, it should be above 60 more often than not, and it's snowing.
Payback for winter
Old 05-08-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
He died three years ago this month. I was a supportive mom. Pastor claims no one can be born gay, but he hasn't read about the hormone bath a fetus gets at about eight weeks to form a masculinized brain and body, and sometimes it doesn't run according to plan. I had been quite polite considering the things he's said. I've always been too polite that way.

I'm truly and genuninely sorry for your loss. The preacher's stance on homosexuality shows that he does not pay attention to science and also that he does read a bit more than scripture.

Here's hoping you find a better place, as another poster and I have said, for your spiritual nourishment.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:08 PM

Thank you. I texts this woman, her husband and her have a ministry, and she said what I told her is what was discussed on the video. If churches can gather again, I will find a proper one. I've belonged to about seven churches all these years and didn't have this problem. Done talking about it. Now let's discuss this weather which is proving climate change is right.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Yesterday I had my windows open. Tomorrow we're expecting snow showers, although no accumulation.

Bugger this for a game of soldiers.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post

Bugger this for a game of soldiers.
I don't know what this phrase means, but I like it
Old 05-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
I don't know what this phrase means, but I like it
I picked it up reading Tom Holt books. From the context, I'd say it's an expression of extreme disgust with a situation that is beyond nonsensical.

Ah. Urban Dictionary (mostly) agrees.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
After my post I realized it gets worse - there is no surface on which to put anything in the shower, and no place to hang a towel. Have to put soap and stuff on the floor. Unbelievable.
Ours had a very narrow ledge for soap and shampoo.

The sink, OTOH, was one of these futuristic narrow half moon types with a narrow shelf right above it. If you splashed water on your face your hands would hit against it thereby knocking whatever you had on that shelf onto the puddled-from-the-shower floor. Plus no place to hang a hand towel.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Death toll in my raised garden and flower planters: 2 peppers, 1 basil, holding on two bleeding hearts. They were covered but this freakish weather = bad news for greenery.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Death toll in my raised garden and flower planters: 2 peppers, 1 basil, holding on two bleeding hearts. They were covered but this freakish weather = bad news for greenery.
Sorry to hear about your casualties.

I'm going out in a little while to check on whether my covered tomato plants survived 29F. There's nothing that spells "class" in a garden like having overturned trash dumpsters covered with tarps for protection purposes. Martha Stewart would approve.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:04 AM

So... Just to recap.... My May Rant

First there was the 'General Flynn'
Then Manafort's bribe from that Putin
Thousands dead,Trump's virus rate
Unemployment is Depression,Great

Foods stores having product runs
Let's not forget 'fat guys with guns'
Beaches are going 'Business Class'
Constitution used to wipe Trump's ass...!

Trump aides have the COVID Flu
Pence aides now say they have it Too!
States are opening with no heed
(And Steven Miller Might Still Breed...!)

Ivanka got one positive too
(As 'Veruca Salt' was Bound to Do)
Jared 'jacked PPE to donor's Co
(Where is Homer Simpson's "Doh!" ? )

Racists shooting joggers from a car
Shannigans from AG Barr!
Moscow Mitch wants states all broke
Texas 'Pubs want us all to croak...!

New Press Bimbo that'd 'never lie'
(how fast does 15 minutes fly?)
FOX only reports on Tara Read
(Whose lawyer pays kick-backs to GOP???)

FOX notices viewership drop
(Clogs on that base starting to pop?)
Trump's killing off the US Mail
Too much voting makes his campaigns fail...!

Social Distancing and cops are back
(who only ticket if you're black)
America's a flaming burning Hell
Trump says he's "Great" and "All is Well"...

Not sure how I should bring in this close
(I'm sure Georgia has a fire hose)
Trump's likely digging a new Mote
(I Hope To God You People Vote...!)
Old 05-10-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Now I understand why folk wisdom says don't plant your tomatoes after Mother's Day. Fortunately I started my basil late so it's still just a little seedling in the window.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post

Shannigans from AG Barr!

We didnít stop the virus/Could have been prevented/But our leaderís demented.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post

Shannigans from AG Barr!

Chris Farley voice-that was awesome
Old 05-10-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:

I'm not on the SNL 'vetted/approved/related to someone' list (and they're done for the season anyway).

Maybe Colbert. He could pull it off...
Old 05-10-2020, 02:49 PM

Hey is there some kind of NEC reason why my breaker panel, currently on a wall in my basement, isn't instead on the wall at the top of the stairs leading to the basement? I have two wells/pits down there, and each get pumped out independently. One is the sorm water sump pump, and the other is for the washing machine/water softener/utility sink/floor drain. The pumps in each pit failed simultaneously a few weekends ago, and I got about three inches of water in the basement. Against common sense, I quickly poked my toe into the water to see if it was electrified. It was not. So I sloshed through the basement, all the way to the far wall where I flipped the breakers for the washing machine, furnace, and water heater.
Now how come I couldn't just do that from the top of the stairs?
Old 05-10-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Hey is there some kind of NEC reason why my breaker panel, currently on a wall in my basement, isn't instead on the wall at the top of the stairs leading to the basement? I have two wells/pits down there, and each get pumped out independently. One is the sorm water sump pump, and the other is for the washing machine/water softener/utility sink/floor drain. The pumps in each pit failed simultaneously a few weekends ago, and I got about three inches of water in the basement. Against common sense, I quickly poked my toe into the water to see if it was electrified. It was not. So I sloshed through the basement, all the way to the far wall where I flipped the breakers for the washing machine, furnace, and water heater.
Now how come I couldn't just do that from the top of the stairs?
I respectfully reject your rant. Breaker panels are the entry points of electricity into the house, so they should be located as close as possible to where the electricity actually does enter the house. Otherwise you have long lengths of still-live wiring even after you shut it off. In every house I have ever owned, the breaker panel (and the master electric cutoff switch) was within a few feet of the outside electric meter and directly where the main wiring enters the house. In both the current house and the former one, this was on the opposite side of the basement from the stairs. Houses are not designed to deal with the idea of your basement becoming an impromptu indoor swimming pool.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
... Otherwise you have long lengths of still-live wiring even after you shut it off.... .
OK, this makes sense. But basements fill with water all the time, so the electrical service accomodating an easy shutoff still seems reasonable to me.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Makes me grateful that my electric comes in at my garage.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:59 AM

Not sure what's so jacked about my diet lately, but even I couldn't stand my own fart clouds yesterday. Jesus almighty, I'm grateful for social distancing or I'd have embarrassed myself.

So, uh, if your grocery cashier occasionally giggles randomly at seemingly nothing, and finds excuses to step away from the register to fiddle with the candy display at any opportunity ... she might just be tooting a couple off & then standing in her own fart cloud. Cuz I sure was!

I turn 40 in less than a month, am ostensibly some sort of lady or shit, and I still giggle at farts. What does that say about me?
Old 05-11-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
I turn 40 in less than a month, am ostensibly some sort of lady or shit, and I still giggle at farts.
Ditto, except I'm about to turn 50. I'm not going to grow out of this.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:06 AM

I'm 50 and still laugh my head off at the campfire scene in "Blazing Saddles". I think maturity is overrated at times.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Not sure what's so jacked about my diet lately, but even I couldn't stand my own fart clouds yesterday. Jesus almighty, I'm grateful for social distancing or I'd have embarrassed myself.

So, uh, if your grocery cashier occasionally giggles randomly at seemingly nothing, and finds excuses to step away from the register to fiddle with the candy display at any opportunity ... she might just be tooting a couple off & then standing in her own fart cloud. Cuz I sure was!

I turn 40 in less than a month, am ostensibly some sort of lady or shit, and I still giggle at farts. What does that say about me?
I know what you're going through, phs. I've had the barking spiders myself the last couple days, and the smell can drive Pepť Le Pew away.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:02 PM

So, in light of the current situation, the local supermarket has changed two aisles into a roped-off one way system, leading to the tills (policed by a bloke who stands two feet away from whoever's at the front of the queue and chats to them while waiting for a till to open up). I've got everything I need but washing powder, which is halfway down the one-way system. Go up to get it, guy managing the till queue (which is one person long at this point) yells at me 'Scuse me, Have you finished shopping?'
'No, I just need to get washing powder'
'Can't go in there'
'Why?'
'Need to have finished shopping to go in there'
'But all I need is washing powder, and it's right there'
'No, you have to come back out'
'So... how do I get washing powder?'
'You can get it when you've finished shopping'.

So, today I learned that getting stuff from the last two aisles of a supermarket is, apparently, not shopping. Sadly I still did get charged for it...
Old 05-11-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Oooh, slalexan! You should read this article! It's very entertaining and also might be of some help: https://captainawkward.com/2020/05/0...ed-out-person/
I also like to read stuff over at this site: https://yesandyes.org/
I'm a Viking at finding motivational stuff on the internet that inspires me to...find more ways to fuck off on the internet.
Thank you. It actually helped.

In other news, a friend of mine seems to have finally hit rock bottom. He and his wife are church friends of mine. We are pretty close. His wife has recently separated from him due to his being an emotionally abusive addict. Since then, he's continued to spiral out of control but, last night, started posting really dark stuff on Facebook, all while saying he's too much of a wuss to kill himself. I honestly don't know what to do. He posted again this morning so I suppose he's still with us. I just wish he'd get help. And before you ask, we have offered to help him get help in the past, stopping short of kidnapping him and dropping him off at rehab. It didn't stick.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Posted as an after thought:

I probably should have ended with :

Nows...! The...! Time...! To...!
See What America's coming to...!
Nows...! The...! Time...! For...!
Finding out what Voting's For...!

(Say, that's musical comedy. That boy-sized suit and comedy thief John Mulaney won't see this, will he...? )
Old 05-11-2020, 08:31 PM

Having Mrs. Chef, Chef Jr. and Lil' Miss Sous-Chef (not so little anymore - she's finishing her junior year of high school for crying out loud) quarantined with me and underfoot all the time is making me uncomfortably realize how selfish I am. I have been working at home for a long time now, but I hate NEVER having any time by myself. If I want to cook myself something, I have to factor in what other people want, and sometimes I don't FEEL like either getting outvoted and making something other than what I wanted or having to make enough to share. Sometimes it makes me absolutely grit my teeth when Mrs. Chef hollers yet again for some bit of help with something she could absolutely do herself if she just would. I'm not saying they shouldn't be sheltering in place, but why do we have to be sheltering in the SAME place? I can't miss you people if you never go away!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Troy View Post
Having Mrs. Chef, Chef Jr. and Lil' Miss Sous-Chef (not so little anymore - she's finishing her junior year of high school for crying out loud) quarantined with me and underfoot all the time is making me uncomfortably realize how selfish I am. I have been working at home for a long time now, but I hate NEVER having any time by myself. If I want to cook myself something, I have to factor in what other people want, and sometimes I don't FEEL like either getting outvoted and making something other than what I wanted or having to make enough to share. Sometimes it makes me absolutely grit my teeth when Mrs. Chef hollers yet again for some bit of help with something she could absolutely do herself if she just would. I'm not saying they shouldn't be sheltering in place, but why do we have to be sheltering in the SAME place? I can't miss you people if you never go away!
I don't have anyone to shelter with, so I get more alone time than I'd like. I expect if I couldn't get away from anyone, I'd be pretty frantic by now.

Meantime, I'm dealing with idiot cousins who have bought into the whole COVID ain't so bad, and why should the lives of people like us who are healthy have to change? I ain't wearing no mask nor staying home, damnit!

It's disheartening.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Troy View Post
My Mother's Day gift (which I asked for) was a few hours alone in my house. It was amazing. I also work at home most of the time, but working at home with the whole family here is for the birds.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:20 AM

I'd be happy to be a good citizen and wear a mask if I fucking had some. The pack of 50 that I ordered (which is coming from China) has finally made some progress on the tracking site, going from "not found" to a shipping label being created in Shenzhen. Due here June 1.

And the two large bottles of hand sanitizer that I was able to snag before they went out of stock are coming domestically via UPS (not my choice). According to the comments on Yelp, UPS has to be the world's worst courier company -- exorbitant customs brokerage charges (not applicable in this case), late deliveries, lost parcels, rude and incompetent staff, etc. According to their tracking info the package arrived in a huge regional warehouse last Thursday -- about a half-hour's drive from here -- and has been sitting there ever since. ETA was Monday, but since it never got to the "out for delivery" stage, I was doubtful, and indeed nothing showed up. The only thing that has now changed is the ETA is now technically today, Tuesday, but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't show up today either. It's scary to think that hospitals might be depending on these useless fuckers for critical medical supplies. Maybe they've learned by now to always use FedEx or Purolator.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:18 AM

It occurs to me UPS must have a different reason than most to be unhappy about Covid: now their continual lies about 'attempted delivery no one home' are even less likely to be believed.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:23 PM

I live in Johnstown, PA. On Tuesday, May 5th, I mailed a package to a friend in Niles, Ohio. A distance of 140.4 miles by car. The package was set to arrive on Thursday.

Wednesday it arrived in Omaha, NE. It spent two days there, then made its way to Pittsburgh, passing Ohio twice on its journey. As luck would have it, my friend received her birthday gift (did I mention it was a gift and her birthday was last Wednesday?) on Monday, May 11. Hooray for the U.S. Postal Service!

The box I mailed to my friends in Vegas is currently sitting in Los Angeles, because of course it is.