Old 05-12-2020, 07:00 PM

Yay! The two large bottles of hand sanitizer finally arrived late this afternoon. Not fair to accuse UPS of maybe not even ringing the doorbell as I was having a nap at the time, but thankfully the driver had the presence of mind to leave the package on a porch chair instead of taking it back and causing massive headaches for everyone concerned. This is not exactly a high-crime neighborhood and Amazon leaves stuff on the porch all the time, often without even bothering to ring.

And kudos to the seller, RED Medical Supplies in BC, for including a free package of isopropyl alcohol wipes and a bunch of latex gloves as part of their "safe shopping" wishes. They also charged very reasonable market prices for quality hand sanitizer.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:03 PM

I had a small package sent to me by UPS at the beginning of February. No show. Eventually I gave up, and was annoyed enough to initiate a complaint/investigation which involved far more time and hoop-jumping than even my cynical ass had expected, even given that they'd reasonably try to discourage excess/frivolous claims.

I was eventually also annoyed enough to put in a *twice monthly reminder in my fucking phone* to keep following up (politely) because jack diddley fucking squat had been the result so far.

Anyhooo .. guess what showed up late last week? Three solid months. Go U.P.S.

But I digress, as I originally came here to lodge a complaint against Honda's design dept. The buttons for my car windows are set way further up than I seem to expect, so inevitably I roll down the back window instead of mine, or my passenger.

Trivial, you say.

I say: occasionally a car window needs to be opened on a very highly expedited timeframe, such as for a sudden "OMG gonna puke" or the cherry in a lit cigarette fell out. Hi officer! No reason to wonder if I'm impaired, let's make a great first impression!

I've owned this car for two and a half years, hell I lived in it for a solid week on the drive up from Tx to Mich and I *still* roll down the wrong window. Every. Fucking. Time.

I have found this to be an utter annoyance.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:03 PM

It's not the car, dear. It's that your seat is too far back. You need to pull it up so that you're breathing on the steering wheel like I do (so I can reach the damn peddles)
;-)
Old 05-12-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
But I digress, as I originally came here to lodge a complaint against Honda's design dept...
The switches on the door of my Honda don't open and close the window. They lock/unlock the doors. The unlabeled window switches are on the dashboard under the speedometer... sigh. It's a 2000 Insight, the first hybrid, and they were trying to be futuristic and innovative. But not practical.

I've owned the car for years, but whenever I have to get that window down quickly (like trying to pay to get out of a parking garage with a line of cars behind me)... I still lock the door instead.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had a small package sent to me by UPS at the beginning of February. No show. Eventually I gave up, and was annoyed enough to initiate a complaint/investigation which involved far more time and hoop-jumping than even my cynical ass had expected, even given that they'd reasonably try to discourage excess/frivolous claims.

I was eventually also annoyed enough to put in a *twice monthly reminder in my fucking phone* to keep following up (politely) because jack diddley fucking squat had been the result so far.

Anyhooo .. guess what showed up late last week? Three solid months. Go U.P.S.

But I digress, as I originally came here to lodge a complaint against Honda's design dept. The buttons for my car windows are set way further up than I seem to expect, so inevitably I roll down the back window instead of mine, or my passenger.

Trivial, you say.

I say: occasionally a car window needs to be opened on a very highly expedited timeframe, such as for a sudden "OMG gonna puke" or the cherry in a lit cigarette fell out. Hi officer! No reason to wonder if I'm impaired, let's make a great first impression!

I've owned this car for two and a half years, hell I lived in it for a solid week on the drive up from Tx to Mich and I *still* roll down the wrong window. Every. Fucking. Time.

I have found this to be an utter annoyance.
I have the same problem with my Prius. Frequently.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
The switches on the door of my Honda don't open and close the window. They lock/unlock the doors. The unlabeled window switches are on the dashboard under the speedometer... sigh.
I feel the same about this as the inscrutable shower fixtures I posted about earlier. In my job I drive a lot of rental cars and I'm more and more dismayed at the shoddy ergonomics. I'd be really surprised to learn there is a good engineering reason for the window switches to be located somewhere other than near those windows. Which means they made that decision based on aesthetics, I suppose.

Same for these new shifters I'm seeing. We've had gearshifts for what, over a hundred years now? Suddenly they have to be rotary knobs, or toggle switches instead of putting a lever into a physical detent.

For chrissake, can't we have a little standardization and ergonomics based on functionality? They're human operated moving vehicles first and entertainment delivery mechanisms / artistic expressions a distant fucking second.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:31 AM

This is why I drive a 20-year-old car. I don't want to learn the new trendy places to put basic functions. Also it's getting harder and harder to find a manual drive car and I don't wanna give mine up.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I have the same problem with my Prius. Frequently.
Awww. Thanks. I'm charmed that other people have the same problem; it's somehow comforting.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Awww. Thanks. I'm charmed that other people have the same problem; it's somehow comforting.
And that right there is the reason I spend so much time hanging out here...
Old 05-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Aren't a lot of transmissions electronically controlled now? In those cases, there doesn't need to be a physical connection to the transmission, hence the move away from a stick-shaped mechanism to shift. That still doesn't excuse shoddy designs though...a lot of it seems to be tied in to designers thinking that everyone is happy receiving all of their feedback from one or two tiny screens on the dash.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:11 AM

Well, COVID-19 has finally infected someone I know personally. Up to now, if I wanted to worry about the health of someone I know, I had to fall back on the two people dear to me who have recently been diagnosed with cancer - not exactly trendy. Now I feel like I'm a little more up to date.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Aren't a lot of transmissions electronically controlled now? In those cases, there doesn't need to be a physical connection to the transmission, hence the move away from a stick-shaped mechanism to shift. That still doesn't excuse shoddy designs though...a lot of it seems to be tied in to designers thinking that everyone is happy receiving all of their feedback from one or two tiny screens on the dash.
My friend just bought a new Ford Fusion and brought it over for me to test drive. It's a nice car (I love all the sensors on his high-end version) but having to turn a little knob to engage the transmission feels ridiculous. The throttle controls on a modern jetliner look just like they did in the 1930s -- the basic design of the human interface remains the same, even if it's fly-by-wire.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:07 PM

Today, my BB finally lost it over politics. He wants to leave Texas and move to Nevada. He has a whole bunch of good reasons/excuses and I do agree with most of them, but moving totally sucks and I don't wanna. I also don't wanna leave my personal work kingdom.

I don't wanna stop working, I don't wanna lose our housekeeper, I don't wanna lose my garden, I don't wanna move away from yet more friends.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:18 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Any consideration of compromise, such as moving to Austin? That's practically leaving Texas right there.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:10 PM

Youtube is driving me nuts.

I like to leave videos on autoplay while I'm doing chores. But, not only does it frequently play videos I've already seen, but it even ends up in two video loops of VideoA -> VideoB -> VideoA -> VideoB.
I've given up on their video suggestions and autoplay; I have to manually go through the list of my subscribed channels for new videos and/or manually search for videos that are close to my interests from other channels.

This thing's worth billions, it's so strange how key parts of the functionality are still, frankly, pretty amateurish.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:49 PM

Who the hell GMOed flour to be invisible? I have goddamn flour moths, I have had them for about 14 months now. I see one every 2-3 days or so, without fail. But there is no unsecured or sealed flour/meal/dough mix anywhere. I have looked 2 million times, including an absolute scouring 6 times; checking and double checking every shelf, drawer, nook and cranny, there is no possible source. But they just keep showing up. ARGGHHHH!

Last edited by wolfman; 05-14-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Bay leaves are your friend, but moths hate them!

Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2020, 08:30 PM

They'll be happy with any dried goods. Boxed cereal, crackers, anything. I've even found them in sealed packages of ramen.

You may have to bite the bullet and do a clean sweep of all boxed goods.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

My neighbor has been pruning his trees with a chainsaw, for hours at a time, morning to evening, on a daily basis since last week.

I'm surprised he's got any foliage larger than a dandelion left on his property at this point.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Bay leaves are your friend, but moths hate them!

Good Luck!
Really? I'll have to try that. I have a bay tree (culinary bay - not California laurel). (I've had arguments about that.)
Old 05-15-2020, 08:47 AM

Don't forget to check dry pet food. We got a bag once that when we opened it up the inside was completely covered with white webs, and teeny little holes had been chewed out through the bag all over. Ick.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:47 PM

So I've given several online webinars for customers now and EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN time the same guy takes a phone call about 40-45 minutes in. Yes, I mute everyone but it never seems to work for this cat. I know you are not from this country, and maybe don't understand instructions that well, but after 2 months in lockdown doing nothing but online meetings has NO ONE taught you how to go on mute? And who the fuck is it that calls you every day at 12:45?
Old 05-15-2020, 06:56 PM

I went to Walmart today. Went to the usual place to look for a top, juniors female. Lady standing there talking to a friend /customer, one foot apart, says, oh, you want over there, ladies. No actually I want juniors because they fit me, some of us are small enough that it works. Then the cashier says keep your receipt, you can't return anything until this disease worry is over. Really. What if it's not, how long does it last on clothing?
Old 05-15-2020, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Went to Home Depot couple days ago . 95% plus customers had masks on as were all the clerks. Fine, I had a mask on too, one of the clerks yelled at me for trying to go in the Exit only . I wasn’t. I told to chill..my goodness.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:58 AM

Have had a spot of roommate drama here. Very long story somewhat shorter, she's supposed to have been taking care of my feral cats since I've been unable to get up and down the stairs to get back there. I asked a mutual friend of ours to pick up some Chinese food for me Wednesday evening and she offered to look in on the ferals while she was here. Turns out, as she discovered, my roommate hasn't been taking care of them after all. It wasn't an error or a miscommunication- I asked after them frequently because I know she forgets boring responsible things and she said she was doing it. So she wasn't just forgetting, either. She was knowingly not doing it and lying about it. My friend was livid, and rightfully so. I tried to defuse the situation, defend my roommate, and make peace because I'm stupid and just didn't want to start anything. It didn't work, nor should it have- there was at least 3 or 4 days' worth of poop and the food and water bowls were empty and dry. That's unacceptable. This isn't just failing to do the dishes. They're live animals and to not take care of them is a shitty thing to do to me and a way shittier thing to do to them.

So our friend called her (she must have been on her way home at the time) and gave her an earful. And then she, in turn, called everyone she knows to tell them what a conniving bitch I am and how I had conspired against her for this and how I can't be trusted and she doesn't want her animals or kid around me anymore and she has to find a place to move to immediately because they're not safe here.
And again/still, in the moment, all I wanted was to make peace, so I apologized to her and told her I hadn't meant anything to come back on her, that I had indeed tried to defend her, and what had happened on my end was totally innocent. Which is true. I wanted egg rolls, not drama. But I also really want my cats to be taken care of. She said we were cool. But what she did not do was apologize to me or acknowledge that any wrong thing had happened, even accidentally, on her end.
What she also has not done is check in on the feral cats at all since then. That was Wednesday evening. I had a friend do it yesterday and asked my landlord today to help me get my second rollator out onto the porch and move a few things around so that I could take care of them myself.

Only. It turns out it really is extremely difficult getting out there and back in. Not 100% impossible, but definitely impossible-adjacent. I don't know how I'll do it every day. And it's certainly not safe- I have to get down and back up two pretty steep steps to the landing to the basement stairs and then there's a door out to the sun room and another step. For that part, I have to use my crutches, not the walker, and I'm very unsteady on those. If I lose balance, I'm going down those basement stairs. This is so stupid. I've figured out ways not to have to depend on her for most things. They're not always elegant or ideal or cheap and sometimes it just amounts to "go without," but that's life. All except this one super important thing that really needs to be done every single day.

But the story's not quite over yet. Yesterday, she took her dog to the vet and found out she has a mass in her throat and the outlook isn't good. Which sucks both because I adore that dog and because now I can't even say anything to her because she actually has a legit reason to be upset. It's her normal MO to be just so stressed by the couple basic adult things she's expected to do that she always has to treat herself/take a break/have a day out, which means she overdraws her account and still doesn't have anything done, so she needs treats/presents/a break/a day out to deal with that and she can't possibly be expected to take on another thing. But this is an actual thing that really sucks, so I really would be an asshole if I went to her now and told her I think she owes it to me to take some responsibility for what happened. But in the meantime, she's still calling everyone she knows and describing it as something terrible that's been done to her and how her dog being sick is on top of all the other f'ed up stuff that's happening in her life, so there's definitely no hint of taking responsibility and also no sign of dropping the subject on her end.

All I can say is, if she does move out, I'll really miss her kid and her dog, but it will overall be for the best. She lives here because she needed a place to go, not because I needed a roommate. If she has another place, then great. (But as a bitchy aside, when the idea of buying a house with her boyfriend of two months backfires, I don't wanna hear about it)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:58 AM

I don't get it. Why are you sharing space with this person?
Old 05-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

My employer sent out a link to a National Geographic article for us to read. Nat Geo wanted an email addy...we promise it will be easy to unsubcribe. Like a moron, I forgot to use a throwaway email.

I never got to read the article, because even after submitting an email, the screen just sat there doing nothing. Then they sent a slew of thanks for subscribing emails, but I still could never read a single article. And it is a ridiculous process to unsubsribe, requiring a verification email that they keep saying they send but I never receive. I've tried multiple times over the last 4 days, but no joy. Trying to use their help is impossible. So fuck you, website people at National Geographic and your communication partner that manages email subscriptions. You suck.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:50 AM

Brian Scuddamore, CEO of 1-800-GotJunk, and his TV ads. "If you want junk to disappear, all you have to do is point!".

I keep pointing at his grinning mug but it doesn't work,
Old 05-16-2020, 01:00 PM

I got a come-on in the mail from a water softener company, inviting me to submit a water sample for free testing.

I'm tempted to fill the little bottle with distilled water to see what horrible defects they report.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I got a come-on in the mail from a water softener company, inviting me to submit a water sample for free testing.

I'm tempted to fill the little bottle with distilled water to see what horrible defects they report.
Fill it with urine and really blow their minds.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I don't get it. Why are you sharing space with this person?
That was in the long-story-long version . And I'm angry, so I'm prone to rambling and going off on tangents and try to over-explain my side and so on.

Basically. She's a friend and co-worker. I knew some of this about her before (the flakiness, the drama, the tendency to create her own crises) but not nearly the extent of them. She keeps it together better at work. And she makes a big show of both how well she takes care of her animals and what a kind and generous person she is and how she'd do anything for her friends. And when it's interesting or fun or someone's watching, she is. The dog goes hiking and goes for car rides and goes to work and all that goes on Facebook. It never occurred to me to wonder if she was getting let outside regularly and fed every day. She took me out to a park in my wheelchair a few weeks ago. It's not that she never does anything nice. It's just that if it isn't one of those things- fun, dramatic, public, or quick and immediate (like she will sometimes go grab me a drink if I ask her to or help carry something in the house), she isn't doing it. She isn't doing it for any animal, she isn't doing it for me, she isn't doing it for her kid, and she isn't doing it for herself, either. And since most of that tedious and mundane stuff is sort of private/nobody has any reason to care (until it hits a crisis point, at which point she gets someone else to deal with it for her), you don't really get to see that unless you live with her.

She lives here because she was evicted after not paying her bills/rent. Like I said- I knew she wasn't good at responsible stuff. I just wanted to help and to fix it for her. I thought if I could see to it that she had a place to live that was safe and stable and where she didn't have bills to pay, she could get her head above water and get back on track. I've lost my home before as well (different set of circumstances) and having someone who let me rent a room made a huge impact on my life. That has not turned out to be the case for her. But she had that sweet little girl and the dog and the cats and terrible credit and no money and where else was she supposed to go? There was no way she was going to find a place to rent and, while there were people she and the kid could stay with temporarily, it's a lot to ask of someone to suddenly bring an adult, a child, two cats, a dog, and all someone's stuff into their household (plus now the boyfriend and the other dog, although they weren't part of the equation at the time) on a permanent basis and it was not very likely she was going to find a place that wasn't "just for now."

I know there was a lot that was unwise in that decision. Everyone says you should never move in with your friend. I knew from the get-go that it was going to be difficult, but I thought I could be better and more adaptable and more tolerant and learn to be fine with it and I'm not as much as I'd like to be. I'm also not necessarily the easiest person to live around, I guess, especially now that I'm a grumpy shut-in and useless husk of a human. But at least I take care of my animals.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:49 PM

Now I'm wondering why you consider her a friend.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:11 PM

You know when, like, someone dies and there's an obituary? And the obituary gets to the part where some famous people Tweet about how much they miss the guy, and the article quotes the tweet, then they go ahead and embed the actual tweet so you have to see the quote, like, two times?

I hate that.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:01 AM

It's May: Let The Fire Pit Wars Begin!

Ladies and Gentlemen, for me "Life in The Time of Pandemic" isn't a very exciting read... and on your best day you would never find Kate Beckensale's number in it.
I do my household chores (like you all do) and I keep the music and the movie volume down as people are telecommuting. One of my very few vices left is to enjoy my backyard.

Now, until recently, it had been a Stalag-7 type situation with scumbags neighbors installing 10,000 candle power outside lights for harassment security, but thanks to Code Enforcement,
the Nazis are on the run. So, now would be the time for a deeply personal meditation from sunset until dark with a fire pit, a cigar, a glass of ice-water, and the occasional glass of red wine.

Or so I thought. Evidently "The Karens" didn't like having to stop using their Nazi searchlights and stomping about waiting to ask for 'papers'. One of them (using a range finder I guess?) determined that my firepit was only about 8 feet from my home, not the code minimum of 10 feet, and had hatched a plan to call 911 and report a fire the very next time I had a fire pit.

Well, word got back to me (it always does, "Karen") so I decided to make some changes. Yesterday, I chainsawed eight pieces of fairly thick limbs down to fire pit sized lengths. (I'm sure she was jumping with glee...!) I then measured 15 feet away from the house ( 1.5 times code distance) twice, planting a stake at each.

I then managed to lift/move the firepit so that it was just past the line between both stakes. I then set up the wood and the chairs so I could enjoy them best and went inside for a leisurely dinner.
Dinner was marvelous : slow cooked potroast... and when all of the dishes were done, I took a leisurely walk outside to enjoy a cigar and a glass of wine at the new set-up.

Well, 9 o'clock rolled around and what did I hear? Why, it's a fire truck (With eight firemen in full gear!). Good Ole "Karen" : she had dialed 9-1-1 anyway!

Now I should tell you that "Karen" has a husband (along with several feral spawn) who is just as much of an asshole as she is, but at least socializes with some of the other neighbors. He had seen that I had already moved my fire pit earlier that day knew that I was now 100% within code. He merely had forgotten to tell his "Karen" that. ( It's just so hard to marry good Minions these days...)

So, the firetrucks come whirring down the street... and he runs out in front of them to stop them. On Bended Knee he said, "No, no ... it's a mistake! My wife was mistaken. She didn't know we were running a fire pit across the street and she called 9-1-1. Please oh Please don't report this! It was a mistake! We weren't intentionally trying to abuse the 9-1-1 system..." (Ok, maybe not that last sentence; literacy isn't his forte).

Well, then our fire dept was Pissed... but I don't think they took the steps to charge them anyone... and they roared off down the street. They may have been thinking "those people at number 25 are Total Assholes" and that may have even ended up in their log, but they didn't say it out-loud.

TL;DR " 'Karen' Cries Wolf. Ooopsies...! "

"Narcissa Malfoy is Lucius’ wife and Draco’s mother, a blonde with blue eyes and a constant look on her face as if there were something smelly under her nose..."

Last edited by Mundane Super Hero; 05-17-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Mundane Super Hero, it sounds like you need to render 10 kilos of bacon, and make sure the exhaust blows in Karen's general direction. Either the smell will drive her crazy from the fact it's meat products, or it will make the ferals hungry and they will bug her.

Win-win.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Mundane Super Hero, it sounds like you need to render 10 kilos of bacon, and make sure the exhaust blows in Karen's general direction. Either the smell will drive her crazy from the fact it's meat products, or it will make the ferals hungry and they will bug her.

Win-win.
You know, this is a fabulous excuse to clean up and test/tighten all of the connections in the old BBQ grill! It's an old stainless job, but if you maintain her right, she'll last half way to forever. As for ten kilos of bacon... while I'm sure that my college grad & his HS brother would demolish it... but why not make a full meal out of it?

Now it has been a few years since I've made one of these bad boys, but Sir...? They Are Good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IiUAtoNBk
What I have learned is that more than 1/4 of a small onion is a waste of space. Some slightly different recipes call for cream cheese to be used mixed with cheddar. When I present my meat, I want it to radiate heat, so I'm going to add a few pickled peppers and some sprinkles of crushed red pepper.

But, and I have YOU to thank for this... this time I'll make a triple weave of bacon! That's one weave, rolled, put to the side... a second weave that the first weave rolls inside... and a third weave added after that! Also, I'm toying with frying up a 1/4 of bacon first and crumbling it inside with the cheese.

I'll need to make sure that I have a meat thermometer ... and slow cooking on low for hours and hours would be the order of the day... but I think that I might be able to achieve the same effect...

Last edited by Mundane Super Hero; 05-17-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:25 PM

I pit the fuckers blowing things up outside like it was a war zone. Tomorrow (Monday) is Victoria Day here in Canada and fireworks are traditional (which is to say, the police overlook assholes making loud banging noises by blowing things up). I bet 99% of these fuckers have no idea who Queen Victoria even was, but they sure enjoy loud bangs when they hear them! Pretty soon it will be Canada Day, July 1, and it will go on for multiple nights again around that time. This neighborhood seems particularly fond of exploding objects. I think it has to do with large numbers of apparently highly patriotic and Queen-Victoria-admiring 12-year-olds. I didn't realize that selling exploding objects during a pandemic lockdown was considered an essential service, but I guess it is.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I pit the fuckers blowing things up outside like it was a war zone. Tomorrow (Monday) is Victoria Day here in Canada and fireworks are traditional (which is to say, the police overlook assholes making loud banging noises by blowing things up). I bet 99% of these fuckers have no idea who Queen Victoria even was, but they sure enjoy loud bangs when they hear them! Pretty soon it will be Canada Day, July 1, and it will go on for multiple nights again around that time. This neighborhood seems particularly fond of exploding objects. I think it has to do with large numbers of apparently highly patriotic and Queen-Victoria-admiring 12-year-olds. I didn't realize that selling exploding objects during a pandemic lockdown was considered an essential service, but I guess it is.

I'm here in the US... is THAT what all that fuckery is about?

I swear that it sounded like shotgun target practice last night ...
Old 05-18-2020, 05:40 AM

This side of the pond people have started what began as clapping for the NHS at 8pm on a Thursday evening, which then turned into 'make as much noise as possible' to thank [key workers, NHS, someone], including setting off fireworks. I'm sure that's what the national health service and other emergency services would love people to do, set off fireworks in the garden or street

Of course, the same people who get most into 'thanking key workers' by doing this frequently seem to have no issue whatsoever with having friends round despite lockdown, yelling at supermarket staff for enforcing rules and calling teachers lazy cowards for objecting to schools being reopened when there's pretty good evidence that it's really not being thought through very wel.l
Old 05-18-2020, 09:21 AM

As some Dopers may know, I have an electric scooter that I ride around on quite often. With the warmer weather, I've been riding every evening. It is great fun.

Yesterday I was riding and a car pulled along side me. This in itself isn't unusual. My scooter (which is a trike) attracts attention. It isn't unusual for a motorist to pull up next to me and ooh and ahh. Some people just give me a thumbs up. I've never had a motorist say anything negative or do anything hateful.

Until yesterday. The car pulls up along side me and the front seat passenger throws a liquid on me. I hear laughter as the car speeds away, so I know the act was intentional.

The driver behind them suddenly pulls up next to me and I can tell by his face that he saw the whole thing. He asks if I know the guys who splashed me. "Naw," I say.

"You want me to get his tags?" he asks. I can tell he is incensed on my behalf. I gotta say, this got my heart pounding in a good way. But I told him I was fine. What crime was committed? I'm sure there is something on the books that would fit, but I didn't want to go through the process of finding out.

The guy speeds after the jerks anyway. I watched him chase them around a corner and through a red light. I wanted to follow to see the drama unfold, but I thought again. What if guns were pulled? What if bullets rang out? What if I saw someone get killed just over a cup of water (I wasn't sure it was water at first, but a smell test later confirmed it).

When I got home, my thoughts began to swirl. What if the front seat passenger had coronavirus and splashed me with his nasty backwash? My feet and scooter got the brunt of it, but what if there were some aerosols that I breathed in? I know this is irrational worrywartism, but is it really? Someone who would try to humiliate an innocent scooterist just minding her business probably isn't the type of person to worry about whether they should be concerned about infecting someone.

Then my thoughts swirled in another direction. What if it was a hate crime? Maybe that's why the witness was so mad; perhaps he believed that he'd seen something worse than a jerk just being a jerk.

I thought about watching the 11 o'clock news to see if the affair had resulted in serious violence. But I decided I didn't really want to know.

Y'all, I hate jerks so much. In that moment when that guy speed off to go get those guys, I was all, "KILL THEM! BRING ME THEIR HEADS SO I MAY STOMP ON THEIR BRAINS AND USE THEIR EYEBALLS AS CAT TOYS!!" In that singular moment, he could have done what he wanted with those guys and I wouldn't have cared. It was an exhilarating feeling. It was an awful feeling. So the experience helped me to see how road rage happens.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I am so sorry, monstro. Fuck those guys, your cat probably wouldn't even want their nasty eyeballs.
My first thought about things like this is usually that it was done by teenagers. I know even grown folk can behave like stupid assholes, but for teenagers I think it's a law.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:44 PM

I am at my wits end. I had to take my daughter to my mom's because I need to work, can't work from home and her daycare is closed. My daughter has autism, which I've talked about before, and isn't potty trained, which I've also talked about before. We've been trying to find other arrangements but private babysitters are expensive because I have to pay their whole wage, unlike at a daycare where you pay part. I did pay a private babysitter for three weeks but I ran out of money. I've been calling daycare centers and in home daycares and keep finding they are either closed or they won't take her.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:36 PM

That moment when, you realize that you've watched all of "Good" Netflix and are down to really bad David Spade movies.

( Spoiler Alert: "The Wrong Missy" earned five full 'Oh Hell Noes' from writers trying to claw their way out of Dante's Inferno. )
Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 PM

There was one with Spade and Sandler that was delightfully stupid. Spade is uptight guy who runs into old wild friend, they get drunk, boat blows up, so Sandler fakes their deaths...
Old 05-18-2020, 08:56 PM

Wanted to add a rant to what I just typed in MPSIMS:
Quote:
My brother couldn't staaaaand his locks not being just right, and paid his stylist to come over and cut his hair. Great, give her (and the people she interacts with) some germs and get some in exchange, just because you're uncomfortable (or maybe just vain).

I haven't been shorn since February, and it's driving me bonkers, but I'm embracing my Homeless Werewolf Look, to celebrate "sacrificing for the common good".
So, what's with "Conservatives" like my brother not being willing to discomfort themselves even a little bit to keep others healthy?

(...and themselves!)

I live in a fairly liberal college town, and we've flattened our curve pretty well, except for the spikes when the right-wing yahoos come out to protest (by standing six inches apart and yelling, breathing each others' spittle).

I would've assumed that "sacrificing for the common good" would be a core conservative value. But they're just too selfish to do it!
Old 05-18-2020, 08:58 PM

^ You don't get the idea of sacrifice. They're willing to sacrifice other people, not to inconvenience themselves in any way whatsoever.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:45 PM

Friday afternoon, one of my molars went hot very unexpectedly. I called my dentist, but he had just left town for a week. Because he wouldn't be able to do anything until the infection went down, I called my doctor and asked for some amoxi which I started taking that night.

Saturday afternoon, the palms of my hands stung like I'd slapped something which made me wonder if maybe I should slow down a little on the hand sanitizer.

Yesterday, all was good until about 3:00 when my shoes got really tight and I realized I had a dark, icky rash covering my feet and calves. I knew it was an allergic reaction to something, so took a shower and a benadryl. My breathing was fine, I didn't really itch anywhere, wasn't in any distress other than the swollen hands and feet, so we didn't go to Urgent Care.

Today, I went to see my doctor and got the wonderful news that I have become to one of the cheapest, most reliable antibiotics around during a pandemic. For the next 5 years, I am to avoid all penicillin. Yeah, I know that antibiotics don't work for virus caused diseases, but they can help with secondary issues.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
Friday afternoon, one of my molars went hot very unexpectedly. I called my dentist, but he had just left town for a week. Because he wouldn't be able to do anything until the infection went down, I called my doctor and asked for some amoxi which I started taking that night.

Saturday afternoon, the palms of my hands stung like I'd slapped something which made me wonder if maybe I should slow down a little on the hand sanitizer.

Yesterday, all was good until about 3:00 when my shoes got really tight and I realized I had a dark, icky rash covering my feet and calves. I knew it was an allergic reaction to something, so took a shower and a benadryl. My breathing was fine, I didn't really itch anywhere, wasn't in any distress other than the swollen hands and feet, so we didn't go to Urgent Care.

Today, I went to see my doctor and got the wonderful news that I have become to one of the cheapest, most reliable antibiotics around during a pandemic. For the next 5 years, I am to avoid all penicillin. Yeah, I know that antibiotics don't work for virus caused diseases, but they can help with secondary issues.
That sounds like so. much. fun. I have so much sympathy for you. I'm not allergic to penicillin and its cousins, but I am allergic to the sulfas, something I discovered when I developed a bright red, itchy, rash over my entire body a few decades ago. Your reaction sounds so very much worse to experience. I hope the rash goes away soon.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:46 AM

SiL the Doctor "can't risk going to a hairdresser's" (sic, her words) because of infection risk, so she paid someone under the table to go do their hair at home. Note that she is in fact working; she is more likely than other people to catch and transmit this bug.

If it was another person whatever, but damnit, did she spend all those hours in Epidemiology asleep?

Last edited by Nava; 05-19-2020 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Who the hell GMOed flour to be invisible? I have goddamn flour moths, I have had them for about 14 months now. I see one every 2-3 days or so, without fail. But there is no unsecured or sealed flour/meal/dough mix anywhere. I have looked 2 million times, including an absolute scouring 6 times; checking and double checking every shelf, drawer, nook and cranny, there is no possible source. But they just keep showing up. ARGGHHHH!
We had an infestation a few years ago which started in a can of steel cut oats (yes, those suckers are small enough to slip between the lid and lip). Got rid of the oats, got rid of all opened flour/grain goods, wiped down the shelves, etc. Everything was fine for a bit until we had another infestation in one of those cardboard cornmeal containers. They eventually found an empty plastic jar I once used for dog treats -- mmm, crumbs

Thankfully we haven't had any since the second deep cleaning. I do keep my flour in the freezer, though, as a precaution.