Old 05-19-2020, 09:59 AM

There's nothing as much fun as spending your morning calling up contractors for a home project.

It's always an indication of a grade-A operation when you call the company number and a halting voice (sometimes with TV blaring and kids screaming in the background) answers, "Hullo?". Um, is this Brackenfuss Plumbing, or a random nitwit I awakened from a 12-pack-induced slumber?

My favorite online review of the day so far: "In spite of their somewhat informal names, Spanky and Shaggy were true professionals."
Old 05-19-2020, 10:49 AM

Well, go with Spanks and Shags, then.

We'll await your "Oh holy hell, now my home is .. " thread.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Can I scream now? Yes? GOOD.

AAAAIIIIIIIGGRRRTGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHG

<pantpant>

My elderly, sick cat has started pissing in the carrier I feed him in. I've had to clean up urine 3x over the last 1.5 days. This is on top of him screaming every hour that I'm hungry and feed me NOW. (Yes, I've gotten to the point that I feed him as soon as he starts screaming, or he continues screaming for an hour or more. He is very loud and very shrill.)

I have to do my laundry in the dark because the light's burned out in my laundry room. Replace the bulb, you say? Sure. Except the fucking builders put the light fixture on the ceiling but next to the wall that is right behind the washer/dryer, and the ceiling is 9 feet or so. Thanks to the vertical distance, even on a 2-step ladder I am too short to reach the fixture, and thanks to the horizontal distance I have to be leaning about 2 feet or so, so even if the step ladder were high enough I still couldn't reach it.

And now, now, thanks to a ham-handed Adobe tech and a recent update to Photoshop, I can no longer export files to a directory I fucking well have write permission to because Photoshop has decided I don't have permission if the file already exists in that directory.

SCREEEEAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 05-19-2020, 11:39 AM

There needs to be a PSA campaign: "Your mask does you no good hanging on your chin."
Old 05-19-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Who the hell GMOed flour to be invisible? I have goddamn flour moths, I have had them for about 14 months now. I see one every 2-3 days or so, without fail. But there is no unsecured or sealed flour/meal/dough mix anywhere. I have looked 2 million times, including an absolute scouring 6 times; checking and double checking every shelf, drawer, nook and cranny, there is no possible source. But they just keep showing up. ARGGHHHH!
Sorry for not seeing this until today but here's my experience with these pests. We had an infestation of pantry moths in our garage last year. Apparently they were in some bird seed (sunflower) that sat in the garage all winter in an old recycling tub. Luckily they never got a foothold in the house, but it took us a couple months before we finally got them under control. We had to throw out a bunch of stuff in the garage that had grubs all over in it, including my lawn mowing shoes and several gardening hats. I was picking grubs off the bicycles and out of the bike tire treads. Those fuckers were everywhere. We took all the shelving units out of the garage, broke them completely down and cleaned them before reassembling and putting them back. We stopped going out to the garage from the door in the house, and would only go into the garage from outside. My wife bought a bug light and numerous traps and repellents, and we did a daily search for grubs. (They liked to crawl up the wall and pupate in the corner between the wall and ceiling.)

And I learned my lesson about buying bird seed. I no longer buy 40lb bags of sunflower seeds, I buy 12 lb bags and store the seed in a galvanized bucket with a tight-fitting lid. And I never take the lid off the bucket until I am outside at the feeder.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 05-19-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Can I scream now? Yes? GOOD.

AAAAIIIIIIIGGRRRTGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHG

<pantpant>

My elderly, sick cat has started pissing in the carrier I feed him in. I've had to clean up urine 3x over the last 1.5 days. This is on top of him screaming every hour that I'm hungry and feed me NOW. (Yes, I've gotten to the point that I feed him as soon as he starts screaming, or he continues screaming for an hour or more. He is very loud and very shrill.)
I wonder if kitty has decided that he wants a covered litter box? If not, try lining the carrier with pee pads to make clean up easier and be happy he isn't peeing under your bed.

My allergic reaction just keeps on giving. The swelling has gone down, but now the soles of my feet are sore. You know how the palms of your hands feel after clapping really loudly, stinging and sore? That's how the soles of my feet feel and I'm prancing around like the real Little Mermaid walking on knives. I know I was complaining about being bored, but seriously? This is not the sort of distraction I was wanting.

Last edited by flatlined; 05-19-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
I wonder if kitty has decided that he wants a covered litter box? If not, try lining the carrier with pee pads to make clean up easier and be happy he isn't peeing under your bed.
He's always been bad about using the litter box for peeing. Pooping he's generally there. But peeing? Covered litter box or not, he seems to prefer the walls and the floors and has since I got him. I have seven litter boxes for two cats, and they're located in all his favorite spots. He just moves to the side. ,

I've had covered litter boxes for him in the past. He doesn't really seem to like them.

Pee pads in the carrier is a good idea, though. Even without them, if he is using the carrier instead of the floor and walls, it's easier to find and clean up. I should be grateful for that, it's just that with the lockdown he has much more time to get on my last nerve.

Good thing I love the little fucker. Would you believe, at 16 with IBD and hyperthyroidism, I've still gotten him to gain 1.5 pounds since the end of last October? He looks like a cat again, albeit a skinny one with decent fur (tis shedding season), instead of a cat skeleton with icky fur.

Last edited by Morgyn; 05-19-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:15 AM

I feel terrible about the things you are going through, but there's nothing I can do other than wish you well. The cats I've seen (and I've seen a few) only seem to last about his current age. He's definitely a Senior Kitizen. Is his condition one that has the prognosis of getting better? Is he suffering? I'm sorry... but only you would know.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My allergic reaction just keeps on giving. The swelling has gone down, but now the soles of my feet are sore. You know how the palms of your hands feel after clapping really loudly, stinging and sore? That's how the soles of my feet feel and I'm prancing around like the real Little Mermaid walking on knives. I know I was complaining about being bored, but seriously? This is not the sort of distraction I was wanting.
How about this kind of distraction?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-20-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Good thing I love the little fucker. Would you believe, at 16 with IBD and hyperthyroidism, I've still gotten him to gain 1.5 pounds since the end of last October? He looks like a cat again, albeit a skinny one with decent fur (tis shedding season), instead of a cat skeleton with icky fur.
Holy cow, 1.5 pounds is amazing! Especially for a hyper-T kitty!!! Good on you!!! And on asshole cat who is only living to drive you crazier than you thought possible.

Do you have a plan to keep the hourly feedings up when you go back to work? As long as you are are worried about that, now would probably be a good time to search "timed pet food feeders". If you need the electric gooshy feeders, you might need to look for a bigger carrier so you can have a couple of them to last the day.

What? Me? Of course I have never once gone overboard on an old, sick kitty.

BTW, kaylasdad99 I think I don't like you very much right now, LOL!

Yesterday, I had small blisters develop on my hands and between my fingers. Tonight I have those same blisters happening between my toes. Yeah, walking is so much fun.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:45 AM

Ok, how the fuck does the electric usage at my shop go up when I haven't been there for 2 months? I just got my NYSEG bill and it shows higher electric consumption for the last month than in January, when I was actually there. It seems someone is stealing from me. Just what I need when my company isn't making any income.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

He actually gained a full pound between the end of October and the end of January, and that's when I was working in the office 3x a week and was better able to withstand his yowling the other four days. The most recent half-pound was ... hmmm, I think about the end of March, when I'd been doing the shelter in place for just 2 weeks.

If I could I'd leave out kibble 24/7, but the prescription food is very expensive and there is a younger, healthier cat who'd get his nose into it also. I can't afford to put out enough to satisfy both of them, or I would.

Frankly, I think he only does the multi-yowling because he knows he can push me to feed him. One of the reasons I think that is because he usually stops around noon-ish and doesn't restart again until 5 or 6. Admittedly, he's normally asleep then.

Mundane Super Hero, I've had a hyper-T cat before who lived until a month shy of his 20th birthday, and he developed it at about the same age Shiva has. (Shiva's been hyper-T for about a year now.) Shiva's weight gain makes me think he could last another 4 years or so, too. He seems pretty happy for the most part. In October I thought I would have to put him down because he looked so bad, but the vet said he was in good shape despite the weight loss so we decided to wait and see, and since then he's gotten healthier. He doesn't appear to be suffering, just very, very hungry for the hours of 7-noon and 6 to 11 .... bloody cat.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I knew this was going to be a mistake. I love my daughter-in-law to death, but when her father sent me a friend request on FB, I thought "probably a bad idea". The guy isn't awful, but he's a boozer and he's had a stroke, and I just don't feel like dealing with someone I don't really know. But my wife said "Well, he raised two terrific daughters, so how bad could he be?"

Yeah, okay. So I accepted the request. The first thing I see from him is he's changed his home page photo to a picture of the ten commandments.

A-a-a-a-a-n-d, blocked.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

My son was at fault in a bad car accident a couple of years ago, driving a car registered to us and covered by our insurance. It's taken all this time, but the sword of Damocles is about to fall, by which I mean, the lawyers are ready to hash this out now. I am really scared.

Plus, a couple of days ago, my husband did something stupid and burned his arms and face. Second degree burns, skin gone or toasted. It's nothing for me to rant about, but I don't feel we're having a lucky week.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

(((Dung Beetle)))

Neither of those things sound mini. Sending good thoughts.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Friday afternoon, one of my molars went hot very unexpectedly. I called my dentist, but he had just left town for a week. Because he wouldn't be able to do anything until the infection went down, I called my doctor and asked for some amoxi which I started taking that night.

Saturday afternoon, the palms of my hands stung like I'd slapped something which made me wonder if maybe I should slow down a little on the hand sanitizer.

Yesterday, all was good until about 3:00 when my shoes got really tight and I realized I had a dark, icky rash covering my feet and calves. I knew it was an allergic reaction to something, so took a shower and a benadryl. My breathing was fine, I didn't really itch anywhere, wasn't in any distress other than the swollen hands and feet, so we didn't go to Urgent Care.

Today, I went to see my doctor and got the wonderful news that I have become to one of the cheapest, most reliable antibiotics around during a pandemic. For the next 5 years, I am to avoid all penicillin. Yeah, I know that antibiotics don't work for virus caused diseases, but they can help with secondary issues.
I discovered my penicillin drugs allergy pretty much the same way a couple of weeks ago. Molar pain, dentist closed due to pandemic, prescribed amoxicillin by phone, then rash. I already knew I was allergic to sulfa drugs after developing the same type of rash following my first kidney stone, so another class of antibiotic added to the no-no list.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
My son was at fault in a bad car accident a couple of years ago, driving a car registered to us and covered by our insurance. It's taken all this time, but the sword of Damocles is about to fall, by which I mean, the lawyers are ready to hash this out now. I am really scared.

Plus, a couple of days ago, my husband did something stupid and burned his arms and face. Second degree burns, skin gone or toasted. It's nothing for me to rant about, but I don't feel we're having a lucky week.
Ah, jeez, Dung Beetle. Both of these sound pretty horrible.

If your insurance company is providing the lawyer, then it's more than likely a reasonable settlement will be reached and it will be covered by them. I was sued once for $5 million over a fender bender (no, I am NOT kidding, known ambulance chaser lawyer, so said the insurance company lawyer); I think the settlement was $20K, and I didn't have to pay for it, so take heart.

And lordy, your poor husband. I dunno what to say there other than I hope the medical care is top-notch and that your husband follows instructions.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words, you guys. I'm sort of freaking out here.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:44 PM

I'm such a fucking idiot. Getting ready to do my taxes for 2019, and discovered that while I prepared my taxes last year (2018), I NEVER MAILED THE GODDAMN THINGS.

Guess that explains why I haven't gotten a stimulus check yet. Fucking fuck. The worse thing is that as a government employee that's a condition of employment. They could fucking fire my ass over that.

Fortunately have a call with a tax guy to do my 2019 taxes. But until I get my 2018 filed, I'll be over here shitting fucking bricks.

Goddammit.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 PM

Why in the HELL do people call tech support if they're not going to shut up, listen, and follow directions?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
I discovered my penicillin drugs allergy pretty much the same way a couple of weeks ago. Molar pain, dentist closed due to pandemic, prescribed amoxicillin by phone, then rash. I already knew I was allergic to sulfa drugs after developing the same type of rash following my first kidney stone, so another class of antibiotic added to the no-no list.
Thank you for posting this. Like others, it comforts me to know that this isn't really personal, just something that happens for no reason at all.

Dang, Dung Beetle I sure hope your husband recovers as painlessly as possible.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Thank you for posting this. Like others, it comforts me to know that this isn't really personal, just something that happens for no reason at all.

Dang, Dung Beetle I sure hope your husband recovers as painlessly as possible.
Lots of people I suspect.
I discovered my penicillin allergy a long time ago, as well as any drug with 'cillin' in the name. Sulfa drugs work okay but unfortunately aren't indicated for everything. And Ciprofloxacin, which was fine a few months ago, now gives me hives.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, don't throw gasoline on the brush fire, kids. The hell of it is, my husband really does know better. He burns our fallen trees all the time (with diesel fuel). I can't say a word, I've gotten away with plenty of dumb mistakes in my life. I'm sure he will never do it again.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:05 AM

Holy shit! Mistake as in, "I thought it was water," or mistake as in, "I did not think it would go boom" and how do I punctuate the ending of this sentence properly anyway?

Either way, burns huuuuurt. Does he have to deal with the lawyers, too?

Flatlined, sit your ass back down. Can you borrow a wheelchair? Walking on blisters could pop them in a nice, infection-prone way.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Mistake as in, I'm just going to take a chance this one time...
As far as the burn pain, he's been pretty stoic. I think we both agree the lawyers may hurt us worse.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Flatlined, sit your ass back down. Can you borrow a wheelchair? Walking on blisters could pop them in a nice, infection-prone way.
This.

S-a-a-a-a-y, ISTR that one of your kittehs recently spent a few weeks requiring to be carried from place to place. Think said kitteh could be persuaded of the fairness of the proposition that it's YOUR turn?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-22-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
Ok, how the fuck does the electric usage at my shop go up when I haven't been there for 2 months? I just got my NYSEG bill and it shows higher electric consumption for the last month than in January, when I was actually there. It seems someone is stealing from me. Just what I need when my company isn't making any income.
Have you discovered that a thousand homeless people have found a way to recharge their phones on your dime?
Old 05-24-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Why in the HELL do people call tech support if they're not going to shut up, listen, and follow directions?
It must be frustrating.

On the other hand, maybe you're the fourth person they've gotten hold of who asked "Have you tried restarting your computer?".
Old 05-24-2020, 07:32 PM

The building turned off the heat mechanism but they can't turn the Cool air on til next week. And they know it's going to be mid eighties now and all week. And I don't have a fan. My window faces sunset so that helps make it hotter. 😤
Old 05-24-2020, 08:31 PM

The "Mask" issue is hitting a boiling point and is definitely partisan politics here and elsewhere. People are pushing their strollers in front of cars to passive-aggressive show off that they are not wearing masks. CNN is reporting at least three murders this weekend alone over not wearing masks. Not one single person wearing a mask has been the aggressor; they are all the crazies demanding to not wear masks.

Now I just saw this article that several violent protests seem to be planned for tomorrow around the nation. This link is to the NC chapter of one:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...242971806.html

Memorial Day: Staying Home = Staying Away from the No-Mask PAC-paid Thugs that will be out there looking to start fights.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
It must be frustrating.

On the other hand, maybe you're the fourth person they've gotten hold of who asked "Have you tried restarting your computer?".
That's a desperation last resort. I usually start, after determining browser/OS, by having them clear the browser or go private/incognito. Switching devices is also a possibility if they're simply not able to deal with the original device getting into the web site I support.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post
The "Mask" issue is hitting a boiling point and is definitely partisan politics here and elsewhere. People are pushing their strollers in front of cars to passive-aggressive show off that they are not wearing masks. CNN is reporting at least three murders this weekend alone over not wearing masks. Not one single person wearing a mask has been the aggressor; they are all the crazies demanding to not wear masks.

Now I just saw this article that several violent protests seem to be planned for tomorrow around the nation. This link is to the NC chapter of one:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...242971806.html

Memorial Day: Staying Home = Staying Away from the No-Mask PAC-paid Thugs that will be out there looking to start fights.
*sigh* I miss the days when NC wasn't the Stupid Carolina.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:25 PM

Some shows that I had set to record on our DVR didn’t. So I look at the list and see that for some unfathomable reason my 25 year old niece has recorded 46 episodes of “My 600 Pound Life” as well as 6 episodes of some show called “1000 Pound Sisters”. I had told her a few weeks before to start binge watching them or something to get the number down. Instead, there were more than ever and the DVR was full and the episodes were marked as never delete, so my shows didn’t overwrite them.

So, seeing as how I’m the payer of the cable bill I told her to start deleting now to get it down to under 30 hours. She said “How do you expect me to figure that out?” She has an honors college degree in mechanical engineering. So I rolled my eyes and said “get it down to 15 episodes, then”— (some, if not all, of these shows are actually two hours long. )

So she picks up the remote and starts deleting. I stick my head into the Living Room 15 minutes later and she’s still going through the episodes, looking at the descriptions, trying to figure out which ones to let go. I came back into the room over an hour after that and she was still torturing over which shows to erase.

I had a thought so I went to my TV set and checked something. Then walked back into the Living Room and said “Hey, good news! Both these shows are available On Demand. They have over 100 episodes available”.

Her response “But the episodes I recorded have special bonus scenes.”

AARRRRGGGGG! I’ve been locked up for too long.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-25-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:11 PM

here's my fucked up Sunday... it didn't start out that way but here we go

my aunt is one of these people that when she has a social occasion with the "golden family" she starts prepping the day before which irks me because I know its just a special performance so she can get a pat on the head

Well about 5 pm is when things took a shit .....

Well We'd forgotten that the gifted Omaha steaks (and yes they were as a good as advertised) we were having today was eaten up a month or two a ago so there were much swearing and gnashing of teeth .. Well she has a target card and target was having a holiday sale so she decided to go there

But my aunt has two flaws 1. she cant do almost anything socially alone... I don't know why but shell wait days and weeks to go to the store because "I hate going by my self " and 2 her refusal to learn how to use anything technological beyond pressing the off and on button

Well both of these foibles came back to bite her in the ass because she will not learn how to use uber on her phone .... .when she wants to use it I do it on the PC for her

Well since she didn't want to go by herself she invited her frenemy who has a host of "quirks" that could fill up a pit thread by themselves but it's her neurological condition that plays in yesterdays fiasco

So she comes over and I order uber for them to go to target and right after the ride is confirmed my PC does a windows update that takes about 2 in a half hours....... meaning I can't use the PC for the ride home ... so there waiting in target which is being overly careful and is just an uncomfortable place to shop atm

Well, aunts friend goes outside to wait for her since she's done shopping and getting nasty looks from staff for "hanging around" but doesn't realize once your out you can't go back inside ..... and I'm trying to download uber on the tablet so I can call for the ride home ..... after uber gets over technical difficulties it downloads ...

now remember what I said about my aunt's refusal to do anything technical because its too hard? well she can't/won't find the message with the uber code on it so I can open the uber account and call for a ride ...... but she figures her friend will help so she goes outside to find her and friend isn't there ..

now whats alarming is friend has a problem where she gets dizzy and passes out where ever shes standing and since aunt is worried she's running around the store looking for her because security guard said she didn't see her leave ...... and aunts now outside looking for her and can't find her and it's been an hour since shes last seen her

So aunt decides she walked home and does the same thing ... it's about a mile in a half and shes loaded up with groceries ..... took her about an hour 20 to get home but the kicker? apparently, while she was waiting for my aunt the security who said she hadn't seen her leave .. warned her about loitering and friend tried to argue and hang around but security guard threatened shed call the police if she was still there when she looked again so she went home on her own

well aunt called me to call friends hubby and let him know what's up and while I was talking to him she walked through their door

So aunt gets home and is in a bad mood all evening while we're getting everything shiny and the bbq grill cleaned her and friend hash out what happened this morning

But the funny thing is when I had uber resent the code to verify the account is hers on her phone it works perfectly ....... so yeah Sunday sucked .. today was pretty good the golden family was only very mildly obnoxious and the food was good so it was pleasant today...
Old 05-25-2020, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

I completely changed out 4 of the 7 litter pans today. My senior, IBD, hyperthyroid kitty is busy turning one of them into a chemical waste dump with especially odiferous waste.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:21 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
I completely changed out 4 of the 7 litter pans today. My senior, IBD, hyperthyroid kitty is busy turning one of them into a chemical waste dump with especially odiferous waste.
Amazing how much stench can come out of such a small butt, isn't it. My Tiny Apex Predator can lay out the most amazing stinkbombs *sigh*
Old 05-26-2020, 03:45 AM

Bloody students! No, you haven't been added to any coursework upload links for your language assessments because you failed to respond to three specific emails plus a couple of general reminders to tell us what you planned to do. Don't wait until a couple of hours before the submission deadline to come whining to me that "nobody told me I had to" and trying to blame my team for your failures.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:25 AM

I hate periods, and I'm supposed to have two more years to go.

Yeah, it's mini.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Nava, mine's been going on for over two weeks now. I guess I'm going to have to go to the damned doctor. I turn 50 this year, so I'm already figuring this must be menopause. From what I've read so far, that means I'm basically going to fall apart like the one-hoss-shay and have to wear diapers the rest of my life. I went on a bit of a crying jag yesterday, which is so not me, but it's been a bad month.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I hate periods, and I'm supposed to have two more years to go.

Yeah, it's mini.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Nava, mine's been going on for over two weeks now. I guess I'm going to have to go to the damned doctor. I turn 50 this year, so I'm already figuring this must be menopause. From what I've read so far, that means I'm basically going to fall apart like the one-hoss-shay and have to wear diapers the rest of my life. I went on a bit of a crying jag yesterday, which is so not me, but it's been a bad month.
Hey Ladies

Here’s the thing that no one warns you about. You will always read that your periods may become irregular as you start to reach menopause. So I thought - that means I’ll start getting them less often, it’ll be 5 or 6 weeks instead of 4 weeks, then I might start missing them completely then eventually they’ll dwindle down to nothing.

But in reality they started coming two or three weeks apart. Then they’d disappear completely for several weeks, then the two week cycles would come back. This went on for something like 7 or 8 years, seriously. I thought I would never reach the other side.

Now, with all that safely in the rear view mirror, I can’t understand how I put up with periods for 40 years. It’s awesome not to have to deal with that anymore.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Hey Ladies

Here’s the thing that no one warns you about. You will always read that your periods may become irregular as you start to reach menopause. So I thought - that means I’ll start getting them less often, it’ll be 5 or 6 weeks instead of 4 weeks, then I might start missing them completely then eventually they’ll dwindle down to nothing.

But in reality they started coming two or three weeks apart. Then they’d disappear completely for several weeks, then the two week cycles would come back. This went on for something like 7 or 8 years, seriously. I thought I would never reach the other side.

Now, with all that safely in the rear view mirror, I can’t understand how I put up with periods for 40 years. It’s awesome not to have to deal with that anymore.
AND the massive bleeding ones with extra cramps and clots. So much fun.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I hate my life. We spent the entire day getting my work computer re-imaged and I still have to do a fuckton of reconfiguring and setup. And what happens within half an hour of the IT guy's leaving?

My thermostat dies. AGAIN. So I am without A/C. And the HVAC service, which I thought had 24/7 emergency, apparently doesn't even though its website says it does.

I may not be recommending them anymore, unless they can give me a really GOOD reason for this. Reduced service because of COVID may or may not be a good reason, depending on whether I get any sleep tonight.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Hey Ladies

Great. Now I have to worry that my irregular periods might be the beginning of menopause and not just my IUD wearing out.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 PM

I used to have pain where I couldn't get off the floor. Then menopause and I'm thrilled... Til I notice the forgetfulness, the aging, and total lack of desire.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:43 PM

And the forgetfulness. 😁
Old 05-26-2020, 09:01 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

You must really like the forgetfulness.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:09 AM

It's humid here, and in the 80s. Turned the thermostat to "cool" and ... nada. I slowly realize I have not seen a compressor at the new house. (I've barely lived here two months, and it was snowing one month ago.) Oh, shit. There is no AC at all.

Did not sleep well last night. Am debating setting up camp in the delightfully cool basement for a night or two, but even three sleeping bags one on top of the other don't make concrete very comfortable.

I'm gonna have to break down and buy a window unit, aren't I?

In other bitches, the light in my lava lamp burned out. Carefully unscrewed ... the bulb from the socket! The adhesive failed, I guess, but now I have found no way to get at the socket part itself to fish/twist that part out.

I'm sticky, and underslept, and now my lava lamp can't be lit up. Waahhh!!!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Morgyn, purplehorseshoe, I hope you guys have some electric fans!
Old 05-27-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Did not sleep well last night. Am debating setting up camp in the delightfully cool basement for a night or two, but even three sleeping bags one on top of the other don't make concrete very comfortable.

I'm gonna have to break down and buy a window unit, aren't I?
Are you actually in Texas? In which case you'll probably need a window unit.

Somehow, I thought you were in upper Midwest somewhere - in which case you might consider a bed for the basement. WAG more-or-less the same cost (depending on how good a mattress you need), and no running costs.

The basement in the family home in MN stayed cool all summer long - I used to sleep down there when working the night shift picking peas/canning corn.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Her response “But the episodes I recorded have special bonus scenes.”

AARRRRGGGGG! I’ve been locked up for too long.
Deep breaths; think of happier times. Pull the 'Chance' card that reads:

Go to Calm. Go Directly to Calm.
Do not rip DVR out of the Entertainment Center
Do not Approach Niece with Face Contorted with Rage