Old 05-02-2020, 09:46 AM

I pit Ms. Tara Reade for putting our country through this

I am not claiming that her account of assault is false, there is no way to be certain of that. Even if she confessed tomorrow that she conjured up (made up) the assault element to her previous allegation of unwanted touching for reasons X,Y,Z there will be those who will be convinced that it indeed happened (otherwise why would anyone make up such a thing in the first place!?) and that she retracted because she was pressured by some dark force.

I believe her account is improbable but not impossible in the sense that logically one can imagine that if we, for example, dropped a hammer from the roof it will float up in to the sky and disappear into space (it's just never been witnessed as such.)

I want to criticize her explicitly for the following:

1. Not bringing it up last year when she alleged unwanted touching. This is irresponsible.

2. Not bringing it up when Joe chosen as VP in 2008.

I think these are legitimate reasons to criticize anyone, she's an adult and she has to act like an adult.

I do *not* accept the rationale/excuse that victims will often blah, blah, blah. No thanks.

I also want to pit society at large for accepting this bullshit from accusers and making excuses for them: it's not too much to ask that accusers make their charge in a timely manner (say within days, weeks, or even months at the latest.) Please, none of this X decades after the fact, it is simply unfair and irresponsible. Being an 'alleged victim' should not give you the leeway to behave irresponsibly.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:14 AM

Did you feel the same about Christine Ford when she came forward with her decades old allegation on the eve of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court? Because, if not, it kinda seems like you’re more interested in playing politics and using #MeToo as a shield than actually sticking up for survivors.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:26 AM

Ew. No.

I'm honestly not sure what to believe at this point. I'm wrestling with it. I'll admit I don't want it to be true, and I worry that may cloud my judgment. I'm not a huge fan of Biden specifically, but I'm a huge fan of anyone who can take down Trump. But I don't want to overlook sexual assault to get there.

That said, I completely disagree with the OP. Decent people everywhere should be able to agree on one thing: Reade deserves to be pitted if and ONLY IF she's lying now.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Did you feel the same about Christine Ford when she came forward with her decades old allegation on the eve of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court? Because, if not, it kinda seems like you’re more interested in playing politics and using #MeToo as a shield than actually sticking up for survivors.
Did any of Kavanaugh's accusers praise him for helping stop sexual assault?
Old 05-02-2020, 10:55 AM

And does nobody find it odd that what she's accusing Biden of could basically be called "the trump maneuver"?
Old 05-02-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla.Liz View Post
I do *not* accept the rationale/excuse that victims will often blah, blah, blah. No thanks.

I also want to pit society at large for accepting this bullshit from accusers and making excuses for them: it's not too much to ask that accusers make their charge in a timely manner (say within days, weeks, or even months at the latest.) Please, none of this X decades after the fact, it is simply unfair and irresponsible. Being an 'alleged victim' should not give you the leeway to behave irresponsibly.
Wow! You really suck!
Old 05-02-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Did any of Kavanaugh's accusers praise him for helping stop sexual assault?
She wouldn’t be the first survivor who praised her abuser, and she won’t be the last.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
She wouldn’t be the first survivor who praised her abuser, and she won’t be the last.
Did you even click the link or just read it?
Quote:
In 2017 Alexandra Tara Reade praised Joe Biden for his action in helping stop sexual assault, not just once, but on multiple occasions.

Between September of 2016 and May of 2017, Alexander Tara Reade used a Twitter account, under the name Tara McCabe, to spread praise of Joe Biden via tweeting, retweeting and liking various Tweets.

:snip:

In an article Reade wrote in 2009, she claimed to have left Washington DC for the midwest because her husband Tate, at the time, had received a job offer for a Congressman. She claims to have also received a job offer to work for a Governor’s race in California around the same time period.

However, in the article “Bring on the Light,” which Reade wrote in December of 2018, and has since deleted, she stated that she left politics and Washington DC because she was sick of American imperialism and because she “love[d] Russia with all her heart.”

Then in her article for The Union in April of 2019, her story changed yet again, blaming her move on Joe Biden essentially having her blacklisted.

But then in March of 2020, Reade says that Biden fired her[.]

[I]n January of 2020, Reade wrote that she was telling her story because of a picture the media has drawn conveying Joe Biden as a “champion of women’s rights.”

She calls the concept of Biden being a champion of women’s rights a “hypocrisy,” but she too was boosting Biden as a champion of women’s rights in 2017 when she retweeted multiple tweets doing just this.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:27 AM

So much hypocrisy...
Old 05-02-2020, 11:28 AM

So much hypocrisy...
Old 05-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

From the same link:
Quote:
In 2017, Tara Reade could not praise Joe Biden enough for his politics, and his treatment of women. Then, suddenly in 2019, her tune began to change. Not only did she begin accusing Biden of workplace misconduct and then eventually sexual assault, but she was also pushing Russian/GOP conspiracy theories about Burisma.
They couldn't tie Joe Biden to Burisma so she's trying to discredit him this way? Is she doing this on her own or is Trump's reelection campaign paying her to make him "radioactive"?
Old 05-02-2020, 12:04 PM

I think her actions will be directly responsible for the rollback of 100 years worth of civil rights and sexual discrimination legislation. She will get her “justice” but all of our daughters and granddaughters will grow up in a world where they are legal chattel.

It will take less than 4 years to finish remaking the judiciary. You will lose your abortion rights by 2024, it will be considered murder.

The laws against marital rape may be overturned. I would not be surprised if there isn’t new legislation requiring witnesses in order to even prosecute rape. The will start prosecuting homosexuality as a crime again.

Gerrymandering will be so complete that there will not ever be another free election past 2024.

I really do believe all this and more will happen if Trump gets re-elected, and way faster than you can imagine.

She’s a selfish little bitch. I don’t find anything remotely credible about her story. I’m seriously starting to think that the progressive wing of the Democratic Party would rather spend the rest of their lives having one long butthurt pity party than actually being but in the position of being able to effect change.

At least I’m old and I had the privilege of living out my working years during Golden Age of equal rights. It’s going to suck to watch it all fall away, but it’s the people that are going to have to live in the upcoming Dark Ages that they are enabling that will really suffer.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:04 PM
BANNED

I guess you disagree with the guy who said - To be fair, he probably does too.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-02-2020, 12:14 PM

One thing that's for certain is the Trump ass-lickers and Bernie cultists are using her hard. As if trash like Shodan give a shit about Tara Reade. Hypocrisy? Shove it up your disgusting, rapist-loving asses.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla.Liz View Post
You're taking the side of abusers here. You're no different than they are. You are showing the same situational ethics.

The #metoo movement is about taking accusations seriously enough for a good-faith investigation. Ms. Reade deserves that much.

It may turn out that she's lying. It does appear she's changed her story multiple times, it does appear that this is a contrivance, but she deserves the same investigative process that Christine Blasey Ford got. Actually that was a travesty. Any victim deserves better than that rigged, rushed shitshow.

And we need to do it now, not the week of the election.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I guess you disagree with the guy who said - To be fair, he probably does too.

Regards,
Shodan
Did you read the link?
Old 05-02-2020, 01:50 PM

#Metoo is kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Me Too Founder: Biden Could Show ‘What It Looks Like To Be Both Accountable And Electable’

Quote:
Tarana Burke, the activist behind the anti-sexual violence movement, did not outright denounce Joe Biden when weighing in on Tara Reade’s accusations.

The founder of the Me Too movement spoke up on Tuesday to explain what she believes is an “inconvenient truth” about the sexual assault allegations against Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

Tarana Burke, who founded Me Too in 2007, said former congressional aide Tara Reade’s accusations against Biden are being felt differently because of the 2020 election, which will now feature two men in powerful positions who have been accused of sexual assault
Though she didn't come right out and say it, it's basically hold your nose and vote anyway.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I'm really uncomfortable mounting an attack on Tara Reade. I suspect the truth is not in her, but it is important to listen to the evidence such as it exists, and even if it looks dismissably empty of validity, to give her the courtesy of treating her as someone who believes what she says even if isn't true.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:26 PM
BANNED

They are being felt differently because it is a Democrat. That's all there is to it.

Winning elections is more important than anything. When a Republican acts like this is true, liberals lose their shit at Republicans. When a Democrat acts like this is true, liberals lose their shit at Republicans.

The shit you people post and expect to be believed.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-02-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
They are being felt differently because it is a Democrat. That's all there is to it.

Winning elections is more important than anything. When a Republican acts like this is true, liberals lose their shit at Republicans. When a Democrat acts like this is true, liberals lose their shit at Republicans.

Regards,
Shodan
A lot of Democrats are indeed being hypocritical, but you're a misogynistic, victim-blaming, rapist-apologizing and defending piece of shit, and the hypocrisy of others doesn't justify your misogynistic rapist-apologism and rapist-excusing bullshit.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And the possibility that Trump's CREEP put her up to this has no bearing? Suuuuure.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Did you even click the link or just read it?
Nope. Because I’d read it before, weeks ago. I wasn’t impressed. The article is full of dishonest bullshit, but instead of going through it paragraph by paragraph I’ll just point out that it was written by Ed Krassenstein.

You might not be aware of this, but Ed Krassenstein is a notorious crook who was busted for fraud in 2016, and was banned from Twitter for operating fake accounts and buying followers.

Krassenstein’s job is basically to figure out ways to monetise #ResistanceTwitter. I don’t trust him to portray Reade’s story fairly, because it’s not in his financial interest to do so. Bottom line, I just trust her much, much more than him.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 05-02-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
There is, sadly, a lot of truth to this, and it's hard not to become polarized in such a constantly polarized environment. (I am not by any means excepting you from that trend, sir, but your own polarization doesn't make you wrong in this instance).
Old 05-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nope. Because I’d read it before, weeks ago. I wasn’t impressed. The article is full of dishonest bullshit, but instead of going through it paragraph by paragraph I’ll just point out that it was written by Ed Krassenstein.

You might not be aware of this, but Ed Krassenstein is a notorious crook who was busted for fraud in 2016, and was banned from Twitter for operating fake accounts and buying followers.

Krassenstein’s job is basically to figure out ways to monetise #ResistanceTwitter. I don’t trust him to portray Reade’s story fairly, because it’s not in his financial interest to do so. Bottom line, I just trust her much, much more than him.
IOW, you have nothing so you shoot the messenger.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
I haven't examined the facts enough yet to hold an informed opinion on Reade's accusations.

But it's a foregone conclusion that anyone who opposes Trump in any way will be hit with false accusations of misdeeds that Trump himself is actually guilty of. We know this not just from countless, ridiculously obvious instances ("YOU'RE the puppet!") but from gleeful admissions from Trump and his John-the-Baptist figure Roger Stone. The strategy neutralizes accusations against Trump, and sows confusion over the very existence of truth.

To paraphrase Voltaire: if Tara Reade didn't exist, it would have been necessary for the Trump campaign to invent her.

You can't say Obama did this to his opponents.

What am I saying? Of COURSE you can. That's the whole idea.

Last edited by F. U. Shakespeare; 05-02-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You're absolutely right: Republicans really are that bad.

If it was a choice between today's republican party and one that didn't have Mitch McConnell and Donald Trump and instead looked more like Larry Hogan or Mike Dewine, Democrats might very well be asking Biden to step aside right now.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
There is, sadly, a lot of truth to this, and it's hard not to become polarized in such a constantly polarized environment. (I am not by any means excepting you from that trend, sir, but your own polarization doesn't make you wrong in this instance).
The difference is that Republicans are god awful. I fully acknowledge the hypocrisy, but being a hypocrite is a low-level offense. There are many things worse than that -- like electing republicans to control the White House, Congress, and SCOTUS.

So what if we're being hypocritical? It's republicans, not democrats, who invented the family values litmus tests anyway; it was the 'christian values' republicans, and democrats just like to point out *their* hypocrisy.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:35 PM

Tara Reade isn't putting the country through this. Rotten people in politics and the media are putting us through this.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Tara Reade isn't putting the country through this. Rotten people in politics and the media are putting us through this.
Agreed.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
I don’t find anything remotely credible about her story. I’m seriously starting to think that the progressive wing of the Democratic Party would rather spend the rest of their lives having one long butthurt pity party than actually being but in the position of being able to effect change.
The self-identified “progressive wing of the Democratic party” are largely people who want to dismantle the party as it exists and replace it in toto with democratic socialism, hence why they boost candidates who are not actually members of the party. Whether you regard this as good or bad depends on your economic leanings and how likely it is that the entire demographic of the party is likely to swing left, but it is quite apparent that the hard-left “progressives” are willing to pull the temple down upon their heads rather than compromise one iota on their ideals, hence the near constant undermining of Elizabeth Warren (who shares the bulk of their policy ideals tempered with the pragmatism of having spent decades in working with bankruptcy and personal finance law) in favor of “Bernie” (who has no practical achievements to his name other than rabble rousing). Of course, it doesn’t help that the center-right wing of the party championed by political pragmatists like Nancy Pelosi and Dianne Feinstein essentially refuse to even acknowledge the talking points of the progressive faction, which fosters further division to no good end other the vain hope of appealing to people who are politically apathetic anyway.

Anyway, with regard to sexual assault allegations, I’ve said this previously:
To date, every famous personality who has been credibly accused of sexual assault or harassment in the past year has seen multiple allegations due to a pervasive pattern of abusive behavior which you’d expect of someone who uses power or celebrity to force themselves on others.
So, let Tara Reade have her moment in the sun and see whether her story (which appears to have changed multiple times as has her stated allegiances to political interests) is corroborated by any fact or credible testimony. Frankly, I don’t think Biden was a particularly brilliant pick as a candidate and wouldn’t be disappointed to have him step aside for someone else who isn’t Vermont Larry David but that would obviously cause a lot of additional churn, so the sooner this is exposed as either credible or fraudulent the better.

And every time some Trumpeter tries to thrash this about, just repeat clips of him talking about “grab them by the pussy”, or sneaking backstage to oggle beauty pageant contestants, or talking about how he wants to fuck his daughter.

Stranger
Old 05-02-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
IOW, you have nothing so you shoot the messenger.
Nothing wrong with shooting the messenger if the messenger is a known crook.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
Have you asked MN Senator Al Franken what he thinks of your statement? Oh, wait...
Old 05-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nothing wrong with shooting the messenger if the messenger is a known crook.
IOW, you're admitting that you have nothing.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
Have you asked MN Senator Al Franken what he thinks of your statement? Oh, wait...
Shodan hasn't figured out that some people, even some Democrats, actually really care about fighting sexual assault. Even more than they care about politics. It's kind of sad.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Shodan hasn't figured out that some people, even some Democrats, actually really care about fighting sexual assault. Even more than they care about politics. It's kind of sad.
He figured it out a long time ago, but when the facts don't fit your agenda...
Old 05-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
It’s not that he hasn’t figured it out; he just doesn’t care, and the opportunity to stir shit like the infantile troll he is. Really, you should ignore him because he adores attention even (or perhaps especially) if it is negative.

Stranger
Old 05-02-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
It’s not that he hasn’t figured it out; he just doesn’t care, and the opportunity to stir shit like the infantile troll he is. Really, you should ignore him because he adores attention even (or perhaps especially) if it is negative.

Stranger
You're probably right. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
IOW, you're admitting that you have nothing.
For fuck’s sake, YOU have nothing you dumb shit! You have a collection of tweets ripped from their context by a known liar, and sellotaped together with baseless insinuations and boilerplate Russia fear mongering. I’m not going to waste my time deconstructing Krassenstein’s article because I already know it was written by a crook with a track record of lying, fraud, and disingenuous fuckery, so what’s the fucking point?

Was Tara Reade busted by the feds for fraud? Was Tara Reade banned from Twitter for buying tens of thousands of fake followers to falsely establish herself as a major player in a political movement? No? Then she fucking wins, doesn’t she? She has more credibility than Ed Krassenstein, so if they disagree then I’m going to side with her. If you’ve got a problem with that then I suggest you find an article that wasn’t written by a dishonest piece of shit. Until then, fuck off.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 05-02-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
He must be feeling hard done by. He put his hand on some women's lower rear regions while posing for photographs, and he's gone. Biden grabs someone by the pussy and everyone's fawning all over him.

Regarding the OP, I think the accusation is most likely true, and I can't condemn someone outing a powerful rapist, even if it helps Donald Trump.

The accusation seems most likely to be true because it hasn't changed over time, contrary to claims elsewhere in this thread. She has several witnesses proving that she told the same story at the time. She has make her story public piecemeal, but hasn't changed any part of it. Blasey Ford couldn't claim either of those things.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:44 PM

National Archives Refute Biden's Statement
https://www.yahoo.com/news/as-biden-...201631973.html

The Biden Bros need to stop sending Tara Reade death threats. Can't Biden control them? They are such nasty people, especially on Twitter.

Now they wanna fire Chris Hayes for dedicating an entire 2 minutes on her!
Old 05-02-2020, 06:03 PM

Where were you paragons of social justice when over 20 women accused Trump of sexual misconduct? Nowhere. Lying, ass-licking trash. And Mort Sahl is funny as brain cancer.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For fuck’s sake, YOU have nothing you dumb shit!
How about two Tweets calling Reade a fraud? Or is her being a crook okay with you?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-02-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:12 PM

nm

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 05-02-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyard View Post
He must be feeling hard done by. He put his hand on some women's lower rear regions while posing for photographs, and he's gone. Biden grabs someone by the pussy and everyone's fawning all over him.

Regarding the OP, I think the accusation is most likely true, and I can't condemn someone outing a powerful rapist, even if it helps Donald Trump.

The accusation seems most likely to be true because it hasn't changed over time, contrary to claims elsewhere in this thread. She has several witnesses proving that she told the same story at the time. She has make her story public piecemeal, but hasn't changed any part of it. Blasey Ford couldn't claim either of those things.
Trump who has admitted ON CAMERA that he grabs girls by the pussy? I’m not saying two wrongs make a right here, but Trump’s accusers run into the thirties and that is ignored by the Christian Right for some odd reason.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:51 PM

I do not believe her. But just to be fair, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am, I'll not believe one of trump's accusers either.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyard View Post

Lolwut? She can't even decide why she left DC. First it was because she hated American imperialism and loved Russia. Then it was because she resigned after the incident. Most recently, it's because Biden fired her and blackballed her.

Her own story, along with that of her brother, changed dramatically.

Hell, she can't even decide whether or not she filed a complaint or what's in it. At first there was, and it would prove everything true. And then there wasn't. And then it didn't mention anything like harassment or assault. And now the people directly quoting her are lying.

Biden has called for an investigation. I'd like to see the results of that before saying it's "most likely true", because there are enough holes to drive a semi through. Hell, maybe Biden DID do it (as I seriously considered when the allegation was first made). If that's shown the case, in even the smallest way, my disappointment will be immeasurable. But don't ask me to sit here and listen to the story change over and over and tell me it's staying the same.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, it isn't like the GOP is known for making false accusations against political opponents or anything! That certainly isn't something we should take into consideration! And they definitely don't have a go-to guy for that kind of thing, who is known to have done it multiple times! I'm sure the GOP Tara Reade is making these accusations in good faith, and isn't trying to time it to coincide with the election nobody is even thinking about this early in the year!
Old 05-02-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Largely true.

Fox News et al are gleefully flogging the same sort of low-rent evidence (and worse) that they complained about during the Kavanaugh mess, while there's also breathtaking hypocrisy on the Dem/liberal side. The current prize goes to the N.Y. Times, which just editorialized thusly:

"His campaign, and his party, have a duty to assure the public that the accusations are being taken seriously. The Democratic National Committee should move to investigate the matter swiftly and thoroughly, with the full cooperation of the Biden campaign...Any inventory (of Biden's files) should be strictly limited to information about Ms. Reade and conducted by an unbiased, apolitical panel, put together by the D.N.C. and chosen to foster as much trust in its findings as possible."

An "unbiased, apolitical panel" under the auspices of the D.N.C? Might as well appoint Wile E. Coyote as director of the Roadrunner Civil Rights Commission.

*I'm highly skeptical of Reade's claims, particularly since they got markedly amplified after her initial revelations got limited attention.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
This. Can we also pit those who insist on believing her not because they can genuinely argue she’s credible, but out of some infantile mentality of tit-for-tat (“b-but you believed Kavanaugh’s accuser!!!”) or a blind adherence to a predictably problematic slogan for an online social movement that effectively encourages you to follow feelings instead of facts?
Old 05-03-2020, 01:38 AM
Elephant Whisperer

The Obama team vetted Biden with a fine-toothed comb in 2008 and found nothing questionable in his background and certainly nothing like this.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-03-2020 at 01:38 AM.