Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 05-07-2020, 12:51 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,040
From The Hill:
Quote:
The interview will be posted on Kelly's official Instagram and YouTube pages, with clips being released to networks and publications prior to the full sit-down airing, Kelly told The Hill.
  #152  
Old 05-07-2020, 12:53 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 5,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Megyn Kelly tweeted that she has interviewed Reade. As far as I know, Kelly isn't actually working for anyone these days so I'm not sure what the plan with her interview is. I'm sure she has one and isn't just interviewing people in her basement for fun, I just dunno what it is.
I'm sure, like all serious journalists, in the interest of balance, she also interviews the multiple women who have accused Trump of misdeeds.

(Yes, I just shot milk out of my nose laughing while I wrote this.)
__________________
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
- C. Darwin
  #153  
Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Running with Scissors is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Small blue-green planet
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
I agree with all of this, and it's what I'd categorize from my earlier post as 'maximizing partisan advantage.'

I'm curious how you fit her alleged contemporary reports of the assault (to friends, her mom, etc) into your framework of evaluating her veracity? If it weren't for those, I'd feel comfortable completely dismissing this for lack of evidence combined with evidence of her prevarication and optimizing political advantage. But those contemporary reports nag at me.
What I wrote doesn't necessarily rule out that she's telling the truth. I actually suspect that she is, although I don't have enough info to judge either way. But why wait so long? IIRC she indicated that she was a Bernie and/or Warren supporter, and that she's a Trump hater. If she really wanted Bernie to win, she would have come forward with this info before Biden indicated his intention to run.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit." -- Nigel Tufnel
  #154  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Do Not Taunt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running with Scissors View Post
What I wrote doesn't necessarily rule out that she's telling the truth. I actually suspect that she is, although I don't have enough info to judge either way. But why wait so long? IIRC she indicated that she was a Bernie and/or Warren supporter, and that she's a Trump hater. If she really wanted Bernie to win, she would have come forward with this info before Biden indicated his intention to run.
Interesting. I actually think she's not telling the truth. As someone posted upthread, usually with people who commit assaults while from positions of power (different from Kavanaugh, who was a high school student at the time) have a pattern of doing so. Biden doesn't. His pattern is to be overly familiar, which certainly comes with its own problem, but not to commit acts of assault. But, like I said, I have doubts because of the contemporary reports.
  #155  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:16 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running with Scissors View Post
If she really wanted Bernie to win, she would have come forward with this info before Biden indicated his intention to run.
I don't think so. People have fairly short outrage periods and coming out too early allows him to spend a few months in the wilderness and re-emerge with these allegations being last season's news.
  #156  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:19 PM
Do Not Taunt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I don't think so. People have fairly short outrage periods and coming out too early allows him to spend a few months in the wilderness and re-emerge with these allegations being last season's news.
I think around the time of the intense speculation that Biden would run, but before his formal announcement strikes me as good timing, though I see your point as well. But would you agree that after every other candidate has thrown in the towel and endorsed Biden is poor timing?
  #157  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
But would you agree that after every other candidate has thrown in the towel and endorsed Biden is poor timing?
If you're running on the idea that "Ok, Biden is out so we have to give it to the second place guy" then that would be the ideal time. After all, if Biden dropped out early, the moderate wing would have likely picked some consensus moderate instead who would be the nominee right now. The only way Sanders wins is if he's the clear second place guy and you convince people that it matters. Which is the crux of the questioning about her "Countdown" tweet (Paraphrased -- Some guy: "I bet a two way between Biden and Sanders would go different now", Reade: "Just wait... three... two... one...")

I mean, I don't think there's a chance in hell of the DNC giving it to Sanders, nor should they, but there's a whole lot of people out there doing the "It HAS to be Sanders if Biden drops out" thing.
  #158  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:53 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I don't think so. People have fairly short outrage periods and coming out too early allows him to spend a few months in the wilderness and re-emerge with these allegations being last season's news.
If we assume the assertion made is true then not only is she a Sanders/Warren supporter but ALSO a Trump hater.

If her goal was to maximize the chances for Sanders/Warren to win and hurt Trump then she would have come out with the news sometime early in 2020 to try and torpedo Biden's primary run.

Coming out with the news now really only helps Trump. It would make no sense for her to come out with this now if we also believe she hates Trump.
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
  #159  
Old 05-07-2020, 02:23 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Coming out with the news now really only helps Trump. It would make no sense for her to come out with this now if we also believe she hates Trump.
Nah. There's a ton of Sanders people convinced that (a) Biden needs to drop out, (b) Sanders needs to be given the nomination because "Second place" and (c) Only Sanders can beat Trump because somethingsomething young voters somethingsomething blue collar proletariat.

Even before the allegations were widely known, it was still a constant "Oh, now Trump is going to win, if ONLY Sanders had the nomination... etc" from Sanders supporters I know.
  #160  
Old 05-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,530
There is of course another possible motive. Republicans have no problem bribing people to make up false accusations. There is no evidence that this happened in her case, and thus far Wohl's attempts of scandal mongering have been so ham fisted as to be easily debunked at a moments notice, but Biden is an obvious target, and perhaps this is the one time they managed to get it to work.
  #161  
Old 05-07-2020, 03:12 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Nah. There's a ton of Sanders people convinced that (a) Biden needs to drop out, (b) Sanders needs to be given the nomination because "Second place" and (c) Only Sanders can beat Trump because somethingsomething young voters somethingsomething blue collar proletariat.
Even if you were correct in that assessment of all these Sanders people still after Biden it remains that the strategy she should have followed, if her goal was to get Sanders or Warren elected and hurt Biden, would have been to come out with these accusation last January or February (or whenever it was Biden really jumped in).

Waiting till now hurts Biden but helps Trump and is hugely counter-productive if those were her goals.

It says a lot about the crazy in your own head to think that this is really some weird Sanders/Bernie Bro plot. Do you think they are plotting in the basement of a pizza parlor? If they are doing that I bet that is where they are.
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
  #162  
Old 05-07-2020, 03:49 PM
Unreconstructed Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running with Scissors View Post
Comparing the Kavanaugh issue to Biden is a false equivalency for a couple of reasons. Before his supreme court nomination, almost nobody had heard of him, so Ms. Ford did not have as much of a reason to come forward, and if Kavanaugh had not been confirmed, the Pubbies would have come up with another conservative justice instead. Biden's been well known in public service for decades.
Everyone’s different, and there’s no “wrong” way to come forward with allegations of sexual assault. It could be that, for Reade, Biden’s profile made it harder for her to come forward. Maybe if Biden had a lower profile she’d have come forward sooner?

Quote:
Were these charges not sufficient enough to bring up when he was nominated for VP? Or how about when he first announced that he was throwing his hat into the ring for the 2020 nomination? It seems that it was only after he became the presumptive nominee that the charges really became public, where Biden cannot be realistically replaced by another candidate.
Maybe she just wasn’t ready to come forward while Biden was VP? And as for why she waited until Biden had the nomination, maybe she hoped he’d lose and fall into obscurity? Or maybe, once she learned he was running for President again, she deliberately waited until he won the nomination so she could inflict maximum damage and humiliation on him in revenge for his assault? I’m not saying any of these explanations are true, but they seem credible enough to me.

Obviously, we need to know why Reade didn’t come forward sooner, but we have to bear in mind that this is a very sensitive issue and, if she does have her reasons, they only need to be good enough for her. She’s under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to justify her decision to us or to conform to our idea of how a sexual assault survivor “ought” to behave.
  #163  
Old 05-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Running with Scissors is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Small blue-green planet
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Everyone’s different, and there’s no “wrong” way to come forward with allegations of sexual assault. It could be that, for Reade, Biden’s profile made it harder for her to come forward. Maybe if Biden had a lower profile she’d have come forward sooner?
Biden had a lower profile before he was nominated for VP. She had indicated that she was reluctant to say something against a sitting senator, yet she has no problem doing it against the arguably more important presumptive Democratic nominee for president? Yes I know, reasons, and all that. I'm just very suspicious.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit." -- Nigel Tufnel
  #164  
Old 05-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
It says a lot about the crazy in your own head to think that this is really some weird Sanders/Bernie Bro plot. Do you think they are plotting in the basement of a pizza parlor? If they are doing that I bet that is where they are.
I never suggested it was a plot. I said that I disagreed with the people saying "Well, if it was a plot, THIS would have been a better time..."

I personally think she has some grudge, perhaps overblown or exaggerated in her mind, and decided to come out with it after Biden was all but nominated for whatever reasons. I mean, I couldn't tell you why she keeps changing her story and backpedaling on stuff; I'm certainly not going to authoritatively tell you why she picked that particular day.
  #165  
Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 6,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
Interesting. I actually think she's not telling the truth. As someone posted upthread, usually with people who commit assaults while from positions of power (different from Kavanaugh, who was a high school student at the time) have a pattern of doing so. Biden doesn't. His pattern is to be overly familiar, which certainly comes with its own problem, but not to commit acts of assault. But, like I said, I have doubts because of the contemporary reports.
Are you certain you're not thinking of this post, in the Troll thread?
  #166  
Old 05-07-2020, 09:33 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I never suggested it was a plot. I said that I disagreed with the people saying "Well, if it was a plot, THIS would have been a better time..."
To be fair, if it was a plot, that would suggest some planning. You plan plots...that's what makes them a plot.

If this were a plot, suggesting some thought went in to it, then yeah, there were better times to do it.
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
  #167  
Old 05-07-2020, 09:42 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
A problem that progressives and democrats have is that they're easy to pull apart, with lots of little subgroups within the progressive movement. Republicans, OTOH, are united in their love of inequality.
  #168  
Old 05-07-2020, 11:25 PM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the Land of Smiles
Posts: 21,576
In another thread we learn
Woman who accused Fauci of sexual assault now says Trump supporters paid her to lie

What's the over-under on how much Ms. Tara Reade was paid? Was she just the low bidder, or did applicants have to pass a screen test?
  #169  
Old 05-07-2020, 11:54 PM
Stranger On A Train is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 19,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
I'm curious how you fit her alleged contemporary reports of the assault (to friends, her mom, etc) into your framework of evaluating her veracity? If it weren't for those, I'd feel comfortable completely dismissing this for lack of evidence combined with evidence of her prevarication and optimizing political advantage. But those contemporary reports nag at me.
Vox: "The agonizing story of Tara Reade: I started reporting on Tara Reade’s story a year ago. Here’s what I found, and where I’m stuck."

Stranger
  #170  
Old 05-08-2020, 01:07 AM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 42,068
"This year, Reade has emerged as an ardent Bernie Sanders supporter, with a much more damaging story to tell about Biden, who is now the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee."

Uh-huh. I see.
__________________
"Hell is other people." -- Jean-Paul Sartre
  #171  
Old 05-08-2020, 08:35 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I do believe Reade is a victim and Biden is a perpetrator of something. I personally don't think Biden actually got his fingers inside of her, but he probably grabbed her ass and probably got a handful of ass from others as well.

We can't avoid the fact that Biden is a serial creep - I won't defend him in that sense. Shit, just look at the pictures of him grabbing women and children, and where he puts his hands. Not all of those are photo-shopped - some might be, but not all. I accept that Biden's a creep.

I'm still voting for him, because since about the age of 27 I realized that voting in presidential elections isn't about voting for the man; it's about voting for or against policies. Biden's mere presence in the White House will make the world a better place. Period. Just make sure that women maintain their social distancing from him - at least 30 feet apart - and all will be well.
  #172  
Old 05-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Stranger On A Train is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 19,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I do believe Reade is a victim and Biden is a perpetrator of something. I personally don't think Biden actually got his fingers inside of her, but he probably grabbed her ass and probably got a handful of ass from others as well.
On what basis do you make that assertion?

Stranger
  #173  
Old 05-08-2020, 10:17 AM
Do Not Taunt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Are you certain you're not thinking of this post, in the Troll thread?
Nope. It was this one by Stranger, in this thread.

Thanks for posting that. Will give it a read-through this morning as time allows.
  #174  
Old 05-08-2020, 10:57 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
On what basis do you make that assertion?

Stranger
It's already an established fact that Biden has a history of touching women in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable and has had problems knowing boundaries. This isn't rumor; this is fact.

There's also a growing body of evidence - circumstantial though it may be - to support Reade's claims that she complained of being violated somehow during the time that she was working in Biden's office.

It's possible that she was violated by someone in Biden's office and not Biden himself, but there's no evidence that this is the case. Nobody has suggested that anyone else has been implicated other than the former senator himself.

I don't buy that she was full-on sexually assaulted because there just isn't enough evidence to support that claim at this time.
  #175  
Old 05-08-2020, 11:17 AM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,689
As regards the "If Biden goes, then we must nominate Bernie..." line of reasoning, a word....

Cuomo. And if it can occur to me, its occurred to him.
  #176  
Old 05-08-2020, 11:31 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's already an established fact that Biden has a history of touching women in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable and has had problems knowing boundaries. This isn't rumor; this is.
I think even that is so exaggerated that it doesn’t rise to factual. It’s the political playbook - if you find the big lie that maybe has a tiny grain of thread of truth and repeat it twenty million times and it becomes truth.

I found the comprehensive list of Biden’s “accusers”.


EIGHT women accused him of things like touching their shoulders or standing too close.

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-...l-fundraiser-5

His career is what - 50 years long— I see no accusations but Reade’s that even have a sexual element and yet you believe he grabbed her ass?

I believe her initial statement about him touching her neck and shoulders, but that’s about it. The tell a lie a million times thing is going to work and Trump will be re-elected, though.
And I’m going to blame every single person that gave this story credence just as much as blame the people that vote for Trump.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-08-2020 at 11:32 AM.
  #177  
Old 05-08-2020, 11:33 AM
Running with Scissors is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Small blue-green planet
Posts: 1,504
Released today:

Former Senate aide Tara Reade calls on Joe Biden to withdraw from presidential race

I am becoming more and more suspicious of her motives.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit." -- Nigel Tufnel
  #178  
Old 05-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running with Scissors View Post
To be fair, that's exactly what you'd expect an accuser to want. What did Ford want, other than for Kavanaugh's nomination to be withdrawn? What is Reade supposed to say - "I'm accusing Biden, but it's okay for him to continue on as presidential nominee?"
  #179  
Old 05-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Stranger On A Train is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 19,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's already an established fact that Biden has a history of touching women in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable and has had problems knowing boundaries. This isn't rumor; this is fact.

There's also a growing body of evidence - circumstantial though it may be - to support Reade's claims that she complained of being violated somehow during the time that she was working in Biden's office.

It's possible that she was violated by someone in Biden's office and not Biden himself, but there's no evidence that this is the case. Nobody has suggested that anyone else has been implicated other than the former senator himself.

I don't buy that she was full-on sexually assaulted because there just isn't enough evidence to support that claim at this time.
So you don’t really believe Reade in the claim that she (now) vehemently asserts to be true, but you think ‘something’ must have happened, so your resolution is not to look at evidence or credibility but to just split the difference and assert that Biden did some other specific act that is not quite as bad as digital penetration even though no one has accused him of that? That makes zero sense. Let’s not contribute to the culture of ‘alternative facts’ by concocting a story with no basis in evidence or statement.

Biden has a history of unwelcome touching of arms and shoulders or overly long hugging (which is inappropriate in and of itself) and Reade’s original story is that someone may (or may not) have retaliated against Reade for objecting to being sexualized (which is also inappropriate but all to common in that time and place), but all claims of sexual assault and digital penetration appear to be novel, unsupported by any previous claims or statements, and are otherwise inconsistent with Biden’s apparent behavior and other claims made about him. Reade’s most recent claims should be investigated and treated with the degree of plausibility consistent with fact, circumstantial evidence, and Reade’s credibility in other matters.

Stranger
  #180  
Old 05-08-2020, 12:27 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 36,374
Reade is being represented by a Trump campaign donor and a former writer & editor of Russian propaganda.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-08-2020 at 12:27 PM.
  #181  
Old 05-08-2020, 01:49 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
So you don’t really believe Reade in the claim that she (now) vehemently asserts to be true, but you think ‘something’ must have happened, so your resolution is not to look at evidence or credibility but to just split the difference and assert that Biden did some other specific act that is not quite as bad as digital penetration even though no one has accused him of that? That makes zero sense. Let’s not contribute to the culture of ‘alternative facts’ by concocting a story with no basis in evidence or statement.
It's not alternative facts; it's merely speculation, which is what pretty much everyone on this thread is doing to one degree or another.

Look, I'm still very much a Biden supporter. I'm not resolving to look or not look at anything. I'm anything, I'm predisposed to not want to believe her. I wasn't there in 1993 - I don't truly know one way or another. I'm airing my thoughts like practically everyone else here. But (until the last 24 hours)*, the evidence that we had in the public domain was that Biden had multiple complaints of unsolicited touching that made other women uncomfortable. The evidence also seems to indicate that she had disclosed her issues with her time on Capitol Hill long before now - at least from what I've seen.

*Having said that, there is the matter of new evidence coming to light that appears to call into question her motives, such as the fact that she had been charged with check fraud and the fact that she's represented by a republican hack. So that absolutely casts doubt on her claims.

Regardless, I seriously doubt there's anything that's going to get me to change my vote for Biden.
  #182  
Old 05-08-2020, 01:59 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
EIGHT women accused him of things like touching their shoulders or standing too close.
And sniffing hair. He also finds very questionable resting spots for his hands when he's in camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
His career is what - 50 years long— I see no accusations but Reade’s that even have a sexual element and yet you believe he grabbed her ass?
Women didn't start speaking out against George H W Bush until about a year before he died. I admit - I don't know one way or the other, and I'm only speculating. I'm not circulating fake news or giving credence to her claims; I'm just speculating based on available facts. And I'm happy to change my opinion when new facts surface.
  #183  
Old 05-08-2020, 02:23 PM
Stranger On A Train is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 19,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's not alternative facts; it's merely speculation, which is what pretty much everyone on this thread is doing to one degree or another..
What you stated isn't "merely speculation"; this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I do believe Reade is a victim and Biden is a perpetrator of something. I personally don't think Biden actually got his fingers inside of her, but he probably grabbed her ass and probably got a handful of ass from others as well.
is a very specific scenario that, while not as the same level of crime as forcible digital penetration, is still a crime and is at odds with his behavior as otherwise detailed. The notion that there is some threshold of behavior that is actually assault but is still acceptable to as a candidate for president is ethically unsound and politically unsustainable, because unlike Trump, a Democratic candidate can't appeal to the base by making the barely obscured argument that getting away with assault makes him a stronger candidate.

If Joe Biden forcibly "grabbed her ass" or otherwise made some overtly sexual physical contact, he should be held accountable for that. And if there is no evidence and no pattern of behavior, while Reade and her corroborators display changing stories, that should go to credibility, as should alternative motivations by Reade calling for Biden to step down. This notion that he did 'something', but that it should be overlooked for political expediency is going to have people--not all of them Trump boosters--making legitimate claims of hypocrisy, which is ultimately just as destructive as the divisiveness of having to delve into Biden's behaviors.

Stranger
  #184  
Old 05-08-2020, 02:32 PM
xenophon41's Avatar
xenophon41 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Somewhere up country.
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I'm not circulating fake news or giving credence to her claims; I'm just speculating based on available facts. And I'm happy to change my opinion when new facts surface.
The problem here is that the available facts about Biden's touchy-feely tendencies (shoulder and neck rubs, hair smelling, leaning in) don't match your speculation (he musta grabbed Reade's ass).

Yes, both sets of actions would make a woman (or anyone) uncomfortable at least, but one set, the one we have video evidence of and all of the other women complain about, is a collection of overly familiar physicality like the one clingy aunt who smothers you in a kissy hug every year at holiday time. Your speculation just doesn't go with that set of behavior; you're describing the uncle no one with any sense leaves their kids in the same room with.
  #185  
Old 05-08-2020, 04:13 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
The problem here is that the available facts about Biden's touchy-feely tendencies (shoulder and neck rubs, hair smelling, leaning in) don't match your speculation (he musta grabbed Reade's ass).
Not exactly, no, and I acknowledge that. But his behavior definitely displays an obliviousness to personal boundaries, which is also what underlies more serious behavior like groping. It's not at all unreasonable to suggest that if he's capable of sniffing hair, running fingers through hair, giving creepy massages, and placing his hand right underneath women's (not to mention underage girls') breasts that he at least might be capable of taking it a step further. In fact, a lot of sexual assault and sexual harassment progresses in stages, from questionable transgressions of boundaries to outright groping. I repeat: I don't know for sure what Biden did or didn't do, but at least some of the evidence doesn't look good for Biden, and I'm far from the only one who thinks it. Ass grabbing is just my hunch - I could be wrong and maybe nothing happened, and I've said that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Yes, both sets of actions would make a woman (or anyone) uncomfortable at least, but one set, the one we have video evidence of and all of the other women complain about, is a collection of overly familiar physicality like the one clingy aunt who smothers you in a kissy hug every year at holiday time. Your speculation just doesn't go with that set of behavior; you're describing the uncle no one with any sense leaves their kids in the same room with.
Not that we know of yet - I agree. But a person could be forgiven for wondering if Reade's claims are the tip of another iceberg.

Look, I want Biden to win probably more than you do, but I'm not going to live in a bubble and pretend he's not at least a middling creep. No person would get away with the shit that he's photographed doing. He gets away with it because people want to 'splain it away as goofy Uncle Joe - you can do that if you want. I choose to live in the real world.

Just as an example of some of the defenses that have been used to defend Biden recently, consider Axelrod's claims that there was a thorough vetting that surely would have pinged their radar had there been any serious behavior. If that's the case, how come he sailed through 2 terms as vice president before anyone knew that women stepped forward to complain that he made women feel uncomfortable with his hair sniffing? If you want to believe that the stresses of the vice presidency broke him and that he started this behavior after 2009, that's your choice. I speculate he's had a life long tendency to touch and grab and only now are women feeling comfortable enough to step forward and complain about it.

I call it like I see it.
  #186  
Old 05-08-2020, 04:52 PM
Fretful Porpentine is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Bohemia. A seacoast.
Posts: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Just as an example of some of the defenses that have been used to defend Biden recently, consider Axelrod's claims that there was a thorough vetting that surely would have pinged their radar had there been any serious behavior. If that's the case, how come he sailed through 2 terms as vice president before anyone knew that women stepped forward to complain that he made women feel uncomfortable with his hair sniffing? If you want to believe that the stresses of the vice presidency broke him and that he started this behavior after 2009, that's your choice. I speculate he's had a life long tendency to touch and grab and only now are women feeling comfortable enough to step forward and complain about it.
I think it's more plausible that he simply hasn't done anything that would have struck anybody as seriously wrong in 2009. People take the ideas of personal space and bodily integrity way more seriously now than they did even ten years ago. I think, on the whole, this is a positive cultural shift, but it is a shift. Tara Reade's recent allegations would have been clearly and unambiguously wrong, even then; "he's a little too touchy-feely with women and it makes me uncomfortable" would not.
  #187  
Old 05-08-2020, 04:58 PM
Stranger On A Train is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 19,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I call it like I see it.
You made up an assault scenario that no one reported and which is just marginally better than what Reade has most recently claimed, and then decided that your invented scenario was not bad enough to prevent you from supporting Biden with no real rational basis whatsoever.

Stranger
  #188  
Old 05-08-2020, 05:00 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 24,694
Tara Reade was charged with check fraud on August 2, 1993, and the Biden office offered her a chance to resign in lieu of termination. She resigned, but to save face, she started the sexual harassment complaints (only to friends, though).

https://twitter.com/ZacAKAMadu/statu...981537281?s=19

This is why she was terminated on August 6th, 1993. Because she was kiting checks or something.
  #189  
Old 05-08-2020, 05:16 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 42,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Tara Reade was charged with check fraud on August 2, 1993, and the Biden office offered her a chance to resign in lieu of termination. She resigned, but to save face, she started the sexual harassment complaints (only to friends, though).

https://twitter.com/ZacAKAMadu/statu...981537281?s=19

This is why she was terminated on August 6th, 1993. Because she was kiting checks or something.
Actually fired for check fraud, as it turns out. Represented by a Chump crony. And we now know she became an ardent Bernie supporter. It's becoming clearer and clearer that this is just the last desperate gasp of the Bernie Bozos. I like Bernie, but his supporters are shit. He deserves better followers. Hell, it would not surprise me if any day now Linty Fresh and Unreconstructed Man try their hand at leveling their own personal rape accusations against Biden.
__________________
"Hell is other people." -- Jean-Paul Sartre
  #190  
Old 05-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
I think it's more plausible that he simply hasn't done anything that would have struck anybody as seriously wrong in 2009. People take the ideas of personal space and bodily integrity way more seriously now than they did even ten years ago. I think, on the whole, this is a positive cultural shift, but it is a shift. Tara Reade's recent allegations would have been clearly and unambiguously wrong, even then; "he's a little too touchy-feely with women and it makes me uncomfortable" would not.
This simply isn't true. Even in 2001, anyone on this board would have been paper-trailed and fired within a month for doing half of what Biden has been doing. Women could and did make their feelings known about their personal space and dignity being infringed upon very well. While in the Army, I personally witnessed both NCOs and officers converted into instant civilians for this kind of shit, and that was in the early 90s. Bill Clinton was accused of sexual harassment in the mid-90s for this kind of shit--rightfully so.

The last time this argument might have held water would have been in the VERY early 90s. Even then, the fact that everyone else was doing it has never really been a good excuse.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash
  #191  
Old 05-08-2020, 05:22 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Tara Reade was charged with check fraud on August 2, 1993, and the Biden office offered her a chance to resign in lieu of termination. She resigned, but to save face, she started the sexual harassment complaints (only to friends, though).

https://twitter.com/ZacAKAMadu/statu...981537281?s=19

This is why she was terminated on August 6th, 1993. Because she was kiting checks or something.
Unless I'm missing something, the only factual part of that is the court case against Reade for check fraud and her termination date. Everything else is just guesswork by the Twitter guy? Like, he doesn't have anyone saying Reade was fired because of the charges, he's just assuming it happened?

(I think Reade's story has a lot of issues but I don't want to start spreading stuff that isn't supported)
  #192  
Old 05-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Unreconstructed Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Actually fired for check fraud, as it turns out. Represented by a Chump crony. And we now know she became an ardent Bernie supporter. It's becoming clearer and clearer that this is just the last desperate gasp of the Bernie Bozos. I like Bernie, but his supporters are shit. He deserves better followers. Hell, it would not surprise me if any day now Linty Fresh and Unreconstructed Man try their hand at leveling their own personal rape accusations against Biden.
A few points:

1) Given the frenzy to discredit Reade at all costs, you’ll forgive me for wanting a little more evidence of criminality than a couple of screenshots posted some random on Twitter.

2) Even if she’s guilty, guess what? Women who commit crimes do, on occasion, get raped. I know. It blows your fucking mind, doesn’t it?

3) Bernie’s supporters are no worse than the supporters of any other candidate. Although they are less likely to whine about being picked on. The Bernie Bro thing is just a dumb meme that gained traction when other candidates realised they couldn’t go after him on policy.
  #193  
Old 05-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Hell, it would not surprise me if any day now Linty Fresh and Unreconstructed Man try their hand at leveling their own personal rape accusations against Biden.
Ha-ha, get it? Rape is funny!

You are truly a worthless piece of shit, Sam. If you're representative of what Biden fans are like, why shouldn't people vote for Trump?

And by the way, unless Biden comes out of the closet sometime, those charges wouldn't stick. I'm a guy.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash

Last edited by Linty Fresh; 05-08-2020 at 05:53 PM.
  #194  
Old 05-08-2020, 06:50 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
You made up an assault scenario that no one reported and which is just marginally better than what Reade has most recently claimed, and then decided that your invented scenario was not bad enough to prevent you from supporting Biden with no real rational basis whatsoever.

Stranger
I didn't make up anything; I supposed that based on what we know about Biden and the admittedly limited amount of evidence that has come to light about Reade's allegations, I thought it was probable that Biden has probably done something. In retrospect, I acknowledge that pinching asses was probably too specific, but I didn't once claim I had proof or facts - I think I've tried to make it clear that I didn't and that it was just my sixth sense.

I never thought I'd be saying something that aligns me with UltraVires, octopus, and Shodan, but I think we know that if this were Senator Rubio or some other Republican, we wouldn't stop at assuming that he's only sniffed hair, given creepy shoulder rubs, and inadvertently put his hand near breasts during photo ops (speaking of things that are only "marginally better"). He'd be getting the third degree. I'd be piling on, too.

Last edited by asahi; 05-08-2020 at 06:51 PM.
  #195  
Old 05-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 64,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
Ha-ha, get it? Rape is funny!

You are truly a worthless piece of shit, Sam. If you're representative of what Biden fans are like, why shouldn't people vote for Trump?
You don't need a cheap-ass excuse like that to vote for Trump-just admit that you are voting for him.
"You MADE me do it!!" crap doesn't fly any more, and neither does posting waves of unsubstantiated crap about Biden with the obligatory "But I'M not voting for Trump" tag at the end.
  #196  
Old 05-08-2020, 07:30 PM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
You don't need a cheap-ass excuse like that to vote for Trump-just admit that you are voting for him.
"You MADE me do it!!" crap doesn't fly any more, and neither does posting waves of unsubstantiated crap about Biden with the obligatory "But I'M not voting for Trump" tag at the end.
I've posted nothing, crap or otherwise, regarding the truth of the rape accusations. If you want to poison the well and throw a rape accuser under the bus before the investigation even starts, be my guest.

I have said twice in this thread that I'm not voting for Trump. But if you want to scream and curse everyone who doesn't immediately fall down and join you in kissing your candidate's gnarly, harassing ass--with tongue--knock yourself out.

Just don't be too surprised when enough Americans take a look at this shit, shake their heads, and either vote Trump to piss you off or stay home.

And don't be too quick to blame them, either. I certainly won't. You've had four years to figure out that people aren't necessarily going to vote for a shit candidate just because he or she isn't quite as shitty as the other guy. You've also had four years to come up with someone better. And Biden is the best you can do? BIDEN?? Aren't you the one who continues to shriek about how Biden is our only option, and we should just recognize the reality and vote for him? Maybe if you'd posted a little less after November 2016 and paid attention to reality a little more, you could have come up with something better.

Maybe the reason no one really posts here anymore is that we have better stuff to do. Like learn how to live with the fact that Trump is here to stay, because the people who might have made a difference were too busy whining about the electoral college and how politics was so unfair to actually--you know--come up with someone a little better than Biden. Or Franken. Or Bernie (I've already said that I'm not a fan of his.).

But hey, you're right. It's all about voting for the less shitty candidate while fucking over anyone and everyone who might get in his way, regardless of their right to be offended or even heard. Who cares if he still smells like shit, right?
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash

Last edited by Linty Fresh; 05-08-2020 at 07:33 PM.
  #197  
Old 05-08-2020, 08:35 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 45,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
This simply isn't true. Even in 2001, anyone on this board would have been paper-trailed and fired within a month for doing half of what Biden has been doing.
Didn't happen with Harvey Weinstein. Or Bill Cosby. Or Kevin Spacey.
  #198  
Old 05-08-2020, 08:48 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Didn't happen with Harvey Weinstein. Or Bill Cosby. Or Kevin Spacey.
Or Donald Trump. Still hasn't happened with him. And he's on tape bragging about it.
__________________
My new novel Spindown

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-08-2020 at 08:48 PM.
  #199  
Old 05-08-2020, 09:03 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
You've also had four years to come up with someone better. And Biden is the best you can do? BIDEN??
Biden isn't "the best you can do". Biden was the guy who did the best job of getting votes in the primary. Everyone else did a worse job by a significant degree. Everyone else did a worse job, with four years warning, of coming up with policies and arguments that would appeal to the voters and convince them to come out and vote for them. That's how elections work. Biden did the best job of getting nominated, everyone else -- from Bernie Sanders to Pete Buttigieg to Tulsi Gabbard -- did a frankly shitty job based on how quickly Biden sewed it up.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-08-2020 at 09:04 PM.
  #200  
Old 05-08-2020, 09:06 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 64,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
But hey, you're right. It's all about voting for the less shitty candidate while fucking over anyone and everyone who might get in his way, regardless of their right to be offended or even heard. Who cares if he still smells like shit, right?
Remember this post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie
Step #1...Get Trump out. Just get him and all his family and cronies out.
Step #2...Flip the Senate if at all possible.
Step #3...After the next 3-4 SC judges are appointed by Biden and confirmed by a Dem Senate, then we worry about purifying the Democratic party. It needs it, we can do it, first things first.
So, bucky, what the fuck are your priorities?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017