Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 05-08-2020, 09:24 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
And don't be too quick to blame them, either. I certainly won't. You've had four years to figure out that people aren't necessarily going to vote for a shit candidate just because he or she isn't quite as shitty as the other guy. You've also had four years to come up with someone better. And Biden is the best you can do? BIDEN?? Aren't you the one who continues to shriek about how Biden is our only option, and we should just recognize the reality and vote for him? Maybe if you'd posted a little less after November 2016 and paid attention to reality a little more, you could have come up with something better.

Maybe the reason no one really posts here anymore is that we have better stuff to do. Like learn how to live with the fact that Trump is here to stay, because the people who might have made a difference were too busy whining about the electoral college and how politics was so unfair to actually--you know--come up with someone a little better than Biden. Or Franken. Or Bernie (I've already said that I'm not a fan of his.).

But hey, you're right. It's all about voting for the less shitty candidate while fucking over anyone and everyone who might get in his way, regardless of their right to be offended or even heard. Who cares if he still smells like shit, right?
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
  #202  
Old 05-09-2020, 12:40 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 37,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
I have said twice in this thread that I'm not voting for Trump.
Why would you think that matters? This isn't about how you vote. It's about which side you are helping. And you are creating a narrative where it's okay to not vote against Trump.

You are ignoring that we already have had investigations into the woman's allegations--her original ones. And they were not substantiated. So she came up with worse allegations. When someone changes their story to be worse, it is a pretty good sign they are lying. It's the most basic way to show someone is lying--show that they can't keep their story straight.

You then parrot lines about how bad Biden is, without giving any actual reasons he would be bad. You push the propaganda line about how bad it is to have to pick between the lesser of two evils when, as I've pointed out in every thread that tries this: picking the lesser of evils is how democracy works. You will never get a candidate who is 100% what you want. The only reason to push that narrative is that it makes sure that you are never at fault.

Complaining about things that have already happened doesn't actually cause any change. If you want change, you have to accept reality for what it is and work with that, not sit on your ass and complain that things didn't go your way.

Being able to say "I told you so" is not a win. If you think Biden is bad, then help us make the best of a bad situation.

The way you talk, you'd think Bloomberg won.
  #203  
Old 05-09-2020, 01:57 AM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,898
No smoking gun, but another bit of data.

1996 court document shows Tara Reade told ex-husband of harassment in Biden's Senate office

Quote:
A 1996 court document obtained by the San Luis Obispo Tribune shows that Tara Reade, the former Senate aide who has accused former Vice President Joe Biden of sexual assault, told her ex-husband about “a problem she was having at work regarding sexual harassment in U.S. Senator Joe Biden's office.”
The document doesn't name the alleged perpetrator so ol' pervy Joe's got that going for him.
  #204  
Old 05-09-2020, 02:46 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 6,227
Didn't she say she quit because she was sexually harassed/assaulted?

This person on twitter says that Tara Reade posted a document she had requested from the Senate Office of Disbursement that showed her employment history. There is a picture of the first page of the document.

They then went through the form and used OPM codes to determine that she didn't resign. She was first docked pay for unacceptable behavior or conduct and then she was fired. There are court documents available showing that she was being charged with check fraud (but you have to pay for them), but a screen shot of them is available in the twitter thread.

I've asked where they got that employment history, I have no idea how to find it (assuming it is still out there on the interwebs).
  #205  
Old 05-09-2020, 05:46 AM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Why would you think that matters? This isn't about how you vote. It's about which side you are helping. And you are creating a narrative where it's okay to not vote against Trump.
It . . . is OK to not vote against Trump.

Am I missing something? Is Trump not going to be on the ballot this year? Trump is the incumbent president eligible for reelection, and a whole bunch of people are going to be voting for him, and they'll be perfectly within their rights to do so. I might not agree with them, and I might think Trump is a douchebag (He is), but Dog bless America and praise the Lloyd, right? Vive la difference! As I said, looking at Biden and this crew, I think I even understand their point of view. If the best we can come up with is Biden and the best methods of refuting arguments are eating our own and making jokes about false accusations of rape, then maybe four more years of licking our wounds might just be what we as a party need. Four years alone with our thoughts . . . and maybe a Supreme Court judge pick or two . . . Sigh . . . but hey, that's freedom, right?

And as for:

Quote:
So, bucky, what the fuck are your priorities?
Well, Czarcasm, I guess my priorities are "Get Trump out."

Looking at you guys, I'm thinking that's the easy part: Just wait until 2024.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash

Last edited by Linty Fresh; 05-09-2020 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Changed "you" to "we" and "your" to "our." Try to remember that I'm a democrat, too.
  #206  
Old 05-09-2020, 08:08 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
Try to remember that I'm a democrat, too.
Yeah. Right.
  #207  
Old 05-09-2020, 09:44 AM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 31,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
Looking at you guys, I'm thinking that's the easy part: Just wait until 2024.
You haven't been paying attention. There may not be a 2024.
  #208  
Old 05-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
You haven't been paying attention. There may not be a 2024.
Yeah. Right.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash
  #209  
Old 05-09-2020, 10:46 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
"We tried to warn the Democratic party."

"They didn't give us Magic Bernie."

"Sheeple!"

Blah! Blah! Blah!

What the fuck do you want, an X-Box in every household? Fine, here you go, now fuck off.

Last edited by asahi; 05-09-2020 at 10:49 AM.
  #210  
Old 05-09-2020, 11:19 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 64,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
Well, Czarcasm, I guess my priorities are "Get Trump out."
Then fucking act like it, dipshit. Here's your clue: Count the right-wingers opposed to what you have said in this thread.
  #211  
Old 05-09-2020, 11:55 AM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Then fucking act like it, dipshit. Here's your clue: Count the right-wingers opposed to what you have said in this thread.
Dipshit? You mad, bro?

And what right-wingers in this thread? Right-wingers aren't in this thread. Right-wingers aren't really on this board. Right-wingers are out there manning phone lines, working IT for Trump, and otherwise getting the vote out. They are probably breaking quarantine and risking their stupid, uneducated necks, but they are staying on message. Whatever they're doing, I guarantee you that they're doing something and preaching the word. It's sort of like what you and you're little buddies are doing on what remains of this board, but smarter and not quite as self-righteous.

Hey . . . quick thought . . . Now that we're talking about priorities, what are YOU doing? I see you post here all the time. Matter of fact, I saw something you posted about retiring. Was that you? I'm pretty sure it was you. So as long as we're talking about dipshits and walking the walk, when's the last time you got off your fat retired ass and hung up a sign that wasn't on your own property? Or are you more of an idea man?

I mean, I don't really like Trump, but then again, you don't see me shying away from our party's faults. You don't see me cursing out a fellow democrat for having the audacity, the unmitigated GALL to not act like a republican and just swallow all the shit that's being dished out, just because there's a "D" at the end of it. I'm certainly not going to call evil good, incompetence talent, or black white, because that's not the type of guy I am.

Hell, I don't even do that with republicans. They have their ideas, and we have ours. We're right, and they're wrong. That's the idea. But it's not about the idea, is it? It's about getting the idea out there.

Sooooooo, on that note, Czarcasm, tell me what I should be doing. I'll be checking in here from time to time, but I'm working today, so I might be in and out. But I'm happy to hear what you have to offer. I mean, you do have something to offer, right? This being a Saturday, and you not working and all.

Let's hear it.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash

Last edited by Linty Fresh; 05-09-2020 at 11:59 AM.
  #212  
Old 05-09-2020, 12:45 PM
xenophon41's Avatar
xenophon41 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Somewhere up country.
Posts: 5,146
Wow, ain't you somethin' Linty? I mean, some of us try and be thoughtful and complete in our political thinking, try and educate ourselves about not only policies and different political systems but the real mechanisms of government to try and formulate our personal theories of change and test them against the real world. But what a waste of time when we have all of you 'committed Democrats' and big "p" Progressives to set it all straight for us by filling the internets with terabytes of the increasingly popular unified field theory of political disaffection: all Democratic Presidential primary winners (except insert favorite historic example here), all Boomer liberals and 90% of Dems who actually manage to get elected SUUUUKK MAN!

Which is just so helpful to us I can't believe you get push back.

If only I had some shorthand for describing you geniuses of political theory... Bob Seger came close with "Beautiful Loser", but I think I'll go with Czarcasm's choice above. Pithier.

Last edited by xenophon41; 05-09-2020 at 12:46 PM. Reason: trimmed redundancies
  #213  
Old 05-09-2020, 01:10 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
Yeah. Right.
Yes, right.



Twenty years from now, when your daughter’s husband brutally rapes her and she is told that she has no recourse because he was just exercising his rights as a husband, please try to remember how you helped get justice for Tara Reade.

Twenty years from now, when your son is dating a black women and the raid his house and test the sheets and arrest him for miscegenation and throw him in jail, please remember how you helped Tara Reade. When your other son is caught in a homosexual act and executed, you can remind yourself about how you helped Tara Reade as you watch.

Thirty years from now, when your mom has dementia and Parkinson’s but you can’t get any help for her because Medicaid has been defunded, remember how you stood up for Tara Reade.

Thirty years from now, when you are writhing in pain in the end stages of a highly curable cancer but you couldn’t get so much as a painkiller, much less an available treatment because you don’t have hundreds of thousands of dollars to spare —- please use your dying breath to remember how you helped Tara Reade.

You are taking for granted the rights that were accumulated through decades of small incremental change. And these rights aren’t as robust as you think. Once our voting rights are suppressed, which is what WILL happen if Trump gets a second term, 100+ years of gain in civil and human rights will be destroyed in within the span a few years.

But you threw it all away to help Tara Reade.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-09-2020 at 01:10 PM.
  #214  
Old 05-09-2020, 01:30 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,898
And the left scoffs the right for making slippery slope arguments. I believe you just posited the frictionless surface slope.
  #215  
Old 05-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 64,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
Hey . . . quick thought . . . Now that we're talking about priorities, what are YOU doing? I see you post here all the time. Matter of fact, I saw something you posted about retiring. Was that you? I'm pretty sure it was you. So as long as we're talking about dipshits and walking the walk, when's the last time you got off your fat retired ass and hung up a sign that wasn't on your own property? Or are you more of an idea man?
My "fat retired ass" is busy picking up tons of food and distributing it to people at my local food pantry. I support candidates with a little money and a lot of phone bank time. In my spare time I try to counter supposedly Democratic assholes that spend their time pointing out the faults of the Democratic candidate instead of pointing out the faults of the Republican candidate.
Only one political party in this country is trying to discourage people from voting by casting doubt that there are any candidates worth voting for, and they thank you.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 05-09-2020 at 01:34 PM.
  #216  
Old 05-09-2020, 01:36 PM
Unreconstructed Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Yes, right.

Twenty years from now, when your daughter’s husband brutally rapes her and she is told that she has no recourse because he was just exercising his rights as a husband, please try to remember how you helped get justice for Tara Reade.

Twenty years from now, when your son is dating a black women and the raid his house and test the sheets and arrest him for miscegenation and throw him in jail, please remember how you helped Tara Reade. When your other son is caught in a homosexual act and executed, you can remind yourself about how you helped Tara Reade as you watch.

Thirty years from now, when your mom has dementia and Parkinson’s but you can’t get any help for her because Medicaid has been defunded, remember how you stood up for Tara Reade.

Thirty years from now, when you are writhing in pain in the end stages of a highly curable cancer but you couldn’t get so much as a painkiller, much less an available treatment because you don’t have hundreds of thousands of dollars to spare —- please use your dying breath to remember how you helped Tara Reade.

You are taking for granted the rights that were accumulated through decades of small incremental change. And these rights aren’t as robust as you think. Once our voting rights are suppressed, which is what WILL happen if Trump gets a second term, 100+ years of gain in civil and human rights will be destroyed in within the span a few years.

But you threw it all away to help Tara Reade.
You are crazy as a shithouse rat. Seriously, get help.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 05-09-2020 at 01:37 PM.
  #217  
Old 05-09-2020, 01:50 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
You are crazy as a shithouse rat. Seriously, get help.
You can put the mirror away now.
  #218  
Old 05-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Unreconstructed Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You can put the mirror away now.
Fuck off. Ann Hedonia's post was weapons grade crazy. It's the SDMB equivalent of right wing Facebook spam warning all Good Christian Folk that if the Democrats win in November they'll be bribing lesbian welfare queens to abort their toddlers by Christmas. Just 100% batshit crazy nonsense.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 05-09-2020 at 02:01 PM.
  #219  
Old 05-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Yes, right.

. . .

But you threw it all away to help Tara Reade.

(ellipses mine)

Oh man, I love future porn. Can I play?

20 years from now when the republicans win their fifth straight presidential election, because the democratic party seems to have some sort of religious belief against learning from their mistakes, please try to remember how you stuck up for Joe Biden.

20 years from now when the USA resembles the Weimar Republic with cable and people are fighting and killing each other in the streets and burning down shops with Molotov cocktails and voting for Nazis, fascists, and communists, because the mainstream parties are totally ineffectual at putting up a fight or adapting to the times, please try to remember how you stuck up for Joe Biden.

24 years from now, when one of your old, out-of-touch, grabby, greedy, lowdown democratic candidates actually wins somehow, but abortion gets turned over to the states without a fight, because the dem thought that getting re-elected was a lot easier and more fun than actually fighting for the platform you elected him to, please try to remember how you stuck up for Joe Biden.

Now what I mentioned about is not that much likelier to happen than what you hypothesized, but party stupidity works both ways.

Now there's an upside to that. I said "Yeah. Right." in response to 2024. I'm no Freeman Dyson, but the last time I checked 2024 was not 20 years out, so it looks like you and I have a little time to get back on the right path. It's too late for 2020, but may I put forth the humble suggestion that maybe we can spend the next four years looking for a guy younger than retirement age? Someone who has passion for his work, puts the country above private ambitions, and has a loving faithful relationship with his or her spouse? Someone who can actually CONNECT with the disaffected youth of today? You know, like we did back in 2008 with Obama? Is that so hard? Is that so much to ask? Is it too much to ask to get a democrat who acts like a democrat, or at least a grown-up?

See, because until we do, until we learn not to sacrifice principles for expediencies, the democratic party is the whore who accepts checks. Only we're the ones who wind up getting fucked, because even when the democrats lose, the inner circle tends to keep the jobs. Think about that for a second.

Or you know what? Think about it for an hour.

Aw, hell, think about it for the next six months. And remember: Win or lose, we pick up the check for this one. We pay. Not Biden.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash
  #220  
Old 05-09-2020, 02:21 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Fuck off. Ann Hedonia's post was weapons grade crazy. It's the SDMB equivalent of right wing Facebook spam warning all Good Christian Folk that if the Democrats win in November they'll be bribing lesbian welfare queens to abort their toddlers by Christmas. Just 100% batshit crazy nonsense.
It's definitely easy for comfortable white people to know everything's going to be okay... but for those folks who don't have that privilege, maybe they might be a bit scared of several more years of policies that could result in their suffering or even death, and that of those they care about.
  #221  
Old 05-09-2020, 02:30 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,141
NM

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-09-2020 at 02:31 PM.
  #222  
Old 05-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Twenty years from now, when your son is dating a black women and the raid his house and test the sheets and arrest him for miscegenation and throw him in jail, please remember how you helped Tara Reade. When your other son is caught in a homosexual act and executed
I could say a lot of things, but......come on. Let's keep things non-crazy.

Last edited by Velocity; 05-09-2020 at 02:38 PM.
  #223  
Old 05-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I could say a lot of things, but......come on. Let's keep things non-crazy.
Actually, Velocity, absolutely nothing against you, but I feel the need to stick up for Ann Hedonia on this one. While I don't think what she described is THAT likely to happen, I do believe that there are plenty of mainstream republicans who would love to see it happen. I remember the flag burning amendment almost passing back in the day. I remember the PATRIOT Act and the kinds of things that caused me to switch parties in the aughts. It's good to keep how bad things can get in mind.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash
  #224  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:01 PM
Unreconstructed Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
It's definitely easy for comfortable white people to know everything's going to be okay... but for those folks who don't have that privilege, maybe they might be a bit scared of several more years of policies that could result in their suffering or even death, and that of those they care about.
No. Not even going to entertain this childishness with you. Ann Hedonia's post was a catastrophizing fantasy, totally unconnected to anything that's actually going on in the real world. It's masochistic identitarian persecution pornography. I've got no time for it, and anyone who does isn't worth taking seriously.
  #225  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:06 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
No. Not even going to entertain this childishness with you. Ann Hedonia's post was a catastrophizing fantasy, totally unconnected to anything that's actually going on in the real world. It's masochistic identitarian persecution pornography. I've got no time for it, and anyone who does isn't worth taking seriously.
Yeah, bigotry, misogyny, and a lack of access to health care are such fantasies...
  #226  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:12 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Fuck off. Ann Hedonia's post was weapons grade crazy. It's the SDMB equivalent of right wing Facebook spam warning all Good Christian Folk that if the Democrats win in November they'll be bribing lesbian welfare queens to abort their toddlers by Christmas. Just 100% batshit crazy nonsense.
It's only crazy if you take her literally, consult your horoscope, and try to figure the exact dates when her prophesies will materialize.

She's simply pointing out that voters have a choice: they can do things that make Trump's behavior more or less likely to happen, and that there are really negative consequences if Trump and McConnell are in power this time next year.

She's not wrong.
  #227  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:13 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Yeah, bigotry, misogyny, and a lack of access to health care are such fantasies...
But they are fantasies -- for Republicans.
  #228  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Unreconstructed Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Yeah, bigotry, misogyny, and a lack of access to health care are such fantasies...
Are you trolling me? Ann Hedonia told Linty Fresh that the return of anti-miscegenation laws was a logical consequence of their decision to stick up for Tara Reade; that people would be executed for being gay and that it's Tara Reade's defenders who'd be to blame. That's crazy, and you know it's crazy.

If you truly believe that America can go from nearly nominating Pete Buttigieg for President in 2020, to stringing him up in the town square like a Taliban warlord in 2024 if Trump wins, then - and, sincerely, I cannot stress this enough - you are fucking mental.

But you're not mental. And you don't really believe this could happen. So what are you playing at? Why are you trying to deliberately sanitize what Ann Hedonia said? Why are you trying to substitute the actual, specific crazy things she predicted with vaguer and more nebulous concepts that are harder to pin down? What's in it for you?

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 05-09-2020 at 03:19 PM.
  #229  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:20 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Are you trolling me? Ann Hedonia told Linty Fresh that the return of anti-miscegenation laws was a logical consequence of their defending Tara Reade; that people would be executed for being gay and that it's Tara Reade's defenders who'd be to blame. That's crazy, and you know it's crazy. If you truly believe that America is going to go from nearly nominating Pete Buttigieg for President in 2020, to stringing him up in the town square like a Taliban warlord in 2024 then - and, sincerely, I cannot stress this enough - you are fucking mental. But you're not mental. And you don't really believe this could happen. So what are you playing at? Why are you trying to deliberately sanitize what Ann Hedonia said? Why are you trying to substitute the actual, specific crazy things she predicted with vaguer and more nebulous concepts that are harder to pin down? What's in it for you?
She was using hyperbole to make a rhetorical point. And according to some of the polling I've seen, lots of those awful things really are pretty popular among Trump supporters.

A black guy just got lynched in Georgia, and if it wasn't on tape, probably nothing would happen to his killers (hell, even with it on tape, nothing may happen to his killers). We're not nearly so far from this awful stuff as you seem to think.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-09-2020 at 03:21 PM.
  #230  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Unreconstructed Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
She was using hyperbole to make a rhetorical point.
That's just your interpretation. My interpretation, which has the benefit of being drawn from the words she actually chose to use, is that Ann Hedonia genuinely thinks that being gay will become a capital crime if Donald Trump wins re-election in November. Furthermore, this won't be the fault of Donald Trump, or his supporters, or Russian trolls, or the DNC, or anyone else. No. It'll be the fault of people who want Tara Reade's complaint to be properly investigated. That's Q-Anon level crazy logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii
And according to some of the polling I've seen, lots of those awful things really are pretty popular among Trump supporters.
Really? I'd be very interested to see these polls which show that Trump supporters want gay people to be executed by the state. Do you have them to hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii
A black guy just got lynched in Georgia, and if it wasn't on tape, probably nothing would happen to his killers (hell, even with it on tape, nothing may happen to his killers).
That's a horrible crime. And it seems to very nearly have been a miscarriage of justice. But if you're trying to spin my objections to Ann Hedonia's fever dream as some kind of denial of the existence of racism then you can just stop wasting your time. It's not denying racism to point out that Ann is full of shit. Her paranoid fantasies aren't related to anything that's actually happening in the real world today. There's no anti-miscegenation movement vying for political influence. The government hasn't been infiltrated by Iranian Mullahs. Saying these things will happen if Donald Trump wins is just left-wing glurge, and it's functionally and factually indistinguishable from its right-wing equivalent that the trans-rights movement wants to turn your Kindergartner into a lady-boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii
We're not nearly so far from this awful stuff as you seem to think.
We're a thousand light years from it. Stop feeding her paranoia.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 05-09-2020 at 04:03 PM.
  #231  
Old 05-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
Returning our regular news ...
Ms. Reade's lawyer contributed to the Trump campaign.
https://time.com/5834049/tara-reade-biden-lawyer/
  #232  
Old 05-09-2020, 04:27 PM
Mundane Super Hero is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Returning our regular news ...
Ms. Reade's lawyer contributed to the Trump campaign.
https://time.com/5834049/tara-reade-biden-lawyer/

I'm sure that was just a kick-back of some of the money given them by prior agreement.
  #233  
Old 05-09-2020, 04:33 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Really? I'd be very interested to see these polls which show that Trump supporters want gay people to be executed by the state. Do you have them to hand?
The % that wants to criminalize homosexuality for the whole country is around 30%. https://news.gallup.com/poll/1651/ga...an-rights.aspx

I couldn't find a partisan breakdown in this poll, but it's ticked up very recently. I think it's reasonable to suppose that most of those are Trump supporters.

Quote:
That's a horrible crime. And it seems to very nearly have been a miscarriage of justice. But if you're trying to spin my objections to Ann Hedonia's fever dream as some kind of denial of the existence of racism then you can just stop wasting your time. It's not denying racism to point out that Ann is full of shit. Her paranoid fantasies aren't related to anything that's actually happening in the real world today. There's no anti-miscegenation movement vying for political influence. The government hasn't been infiltrated by Iranian Mullahs. Saying these things will happen if Donald Trump wins is just left-wing glurge, and it's functionally and factually indistinguishable from its right-wing equivalent that the trans-rights movement wants to turn your Kindergartner into a lady-boy.
No, both sides are not the same. Supposing that increasing bigotry, misogyny, and hatred might continue to increase, and could cause death and sufferin,g seems like a pretty damn appropriate fear to me.

Quote:
We're a thousand light years from it. Stop feeding her paranoia.
The way to make sure the Holocaust never happens again is to recognize that it could happen, and vigilance is needed to make sure it doesn't. Insisting that it's "a thousand light years" away sounds like a method to fail to see it coming at all. I don't think we're close, but we're significantly less far than I would have thought a few years ago. There is a really, really ugly part of America, and it's many tens of millions of people.
  #234  
Old 05-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
That's just your interpretation. My interpretation, which has the benefit of being drawn from the words she actually chose to use, is that Ann Hedonia genuinely thinks that being gay will become a capital crime if Donald Trump wins re-election in November. Furthermore, this won't be the fault of Donald Trump, or his supporters, or Russian trolls, or the DNC, or anyone else. No. It'll be the fault of people who want Tara Reade's complaint to be properly investigated. That's Q-Anon level

We're a thousand light years from it. Stop feeding her paranoia.
It was a little hyperbolic and gay execution was over the top, but everything else in my post describes situations that happened and laws that were enforced DURING MY LIFETIME. And apparently I got your attention.

We are not 1000 light years away from it, we left everything I described (except the gay execution stuff ) behind less than 60 years ago. I remember when miscegenation was illegal. I remember when marital rape was legal and there are still marital exceptions in some states rape laws.

And why they didn’t execute gays they arrested, prosecuted and jailed plenty of them, and even entrapped them.

I also remember when crime of passion was a legal defense for murder, meaning “she really pissed me off when she looked at that other guy” made it OK legally.

I remember every job I didn’t get because the interviewer said “The guys here are old-fashioned and don’t like the idea of working with a woman”. And I remember the college professor that told me that there was no way in hell he was giving straight A’s to a woman that wouldn’t sleep with him, his exact words. At best, the anti-discrimination laws meant these guys had to stop saying the quiet part outloud.

Maybe I was over the top but I appreciate what we have now because I know what it like to live without it. And I know there are powerful forces now working to fill the courts with religious conservatives.
  #235  
Old 05-09-2020, 06:06 PM
xenophon41's Avatar
xenophon41 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Somewhere up country.
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
The way to make sure the Holocaust never happens again is to recognize that it could happen, and vigilance is needed to make sure it doesn't. Insisting that it's "a thousand light years" away sounds like a method to fail to see it coming at all. I don't think we're close, but we're significantly less far than I would have thought a few years ago. There is a really, really ugly part of America, and it's many tens of millions of people.
Amen, brother. “It can’t happen here” has always been fantasy. It can happen wherever a large enough and powerful enough plurality can be persuaded that the “others” are a threat that must be dealt with.
  #236  
Old 05-09-2020, 06:07 PM
Bruce Wayne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running with Scissors View Post
Comparing the Kavanaugh issue to Biden is a false equivalency for a couple of reasons. Before his supreme court nomination, almost nobody had heard of him, so Ms. Ford did not have as much of a reason to come forward, and if Kavanaugh had not been confirmed, the Pubbies would have come up with another conservative justice instead.
You have a short memory. The Kavanaugh hearings were months before the midterms and It wasn’t clear at the time the Republicans were going to retain the Senate majority. Had the Democrats delayed Kavanaugh’s confirmation long enough and had they also flipped the Senate they’d have way more leverage with any Supreme Court nominee.
  #237  
Old 05-09-2020, 07:23 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
“It can’t happen here” has always been fantasy. It can happen wherever a large enough and powerful enough plurality can be persuaded that the “others” are a threat that must be dealt with.
That's right.

We know that somewhere around 30% of Americans approve of discrimination against the groups Ann Hedonia described. We know, further, that a large proportion of them have no objection to violence against those groups: look at the border camps; the support for police who gun down unarmed black men; the lack of outcry from that part of the population when transgender or gay people are assaulted.

There was nothing remotely "crazy" about the projections Ann Hedonia posted. And as to whether support for Tara Reade is reasonably implicated in giving Trump's right the chance to move toward those things: of course it is. Anything that keeps someone from voting for the likely Democratic candidate is implicated in empowering the authoritarian right (in the form of Trump).
  #238  
Old 05-09-2020, 07:31 PM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 21,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Amen, brother. “It can’t happen here” has always been fantasy. It can happen wherever a large enough and powerful enough plurality can be persuaded that the “others” are a threat that must be dealt with.
It's worse than that. You don't even have to persuade a plurality to your side. All you need is enough people to not mind very much, or even better yet -- fear those who are persuaded.

That is the goal of every one of those assholes who showed up armed to the teeth at the Michigan state house. They weren't interested in exercising 2nd A rights. They were interested in intimidation and gathering enough like minded people to their side. If they succeed, brown shirted marches and nazi style pogroms are not a far walk.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #239  
Old 05-09-2020, 07:55 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
It's worse than that. You don't even have to persuade a plurality to your side. All you need is enough people to not mind very much, or even better yet -- fear those who are persuaded.

That is the goal of every one of those assholes who showed up armed to the teeth at the Michigan state house. They weren't interested in exercising 2nd A rights. They were interested in intimidation and gathering enough like minded people to their side. If they succeed, brown shirted marches and nazi style pogroms are not a far walk.
Today I saw them described as "ammosexuals."

Not sure if they'd like that, or not. (They shouldn't, of course. It's not intended as a compliment.)
  #240  
Old 05-09-2020, 08:08 PM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 21,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Today I saw them described as "ammosexuals."

Not sure if they'd like that, or not. (They shouldn't, of course. It's not intended as a compliment.)
I do hope Cleatus, Billy Bob and Trey see the photoshopped pictures of themselves holding huge dildos.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #241  
Old 05-09-2020, 09:20 PM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I could say a lot of things, but......come on. Let's keep things non-crazy.
Meanwhile in the real world:

President Donald Trump used his address at the United Nations General Assembly Tuesday to bolster his global initiative to decriminalize homosexuality.

"My administration is working with other nations to stop criminalizing homosexuality,"


This "Resistance" LARPing is all about living in a fantasy to avoid self examination, just imagine everything bad in the world is because of them, then by default the LARPer is a champion for all that is good.
Objectivity and principles do not apply, as is being amply demonstrated here with the blatant double standards at play.
  #242  
Old 05-10-2020, 08:00 AM
naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Meanwhile in the real world:

President Donald Trump used his address at the United Nations General Assembly Tuesday to bolster his global initiative to decriminalize homosexuality.

"My administration is working with other nations to stop criminalizing homosexuality,"


This "Resistance" LARPing is all about living in a fantasy to avoid self examination, just imagine everything bad in the world is because of them, then by default the LARPer is a champion for all that is good.
Objectivity and principles do not apply, as is being amply demonstrated here with the blatant double standards at play.
Objectively the Trump administration has been terrible on LGBT rights _in_ the US. Objectively the Trump administration hasn't done anything on international LGBT-rights until someone with a personal interest in the matter saw an opportunity to sell it as an attack on Iran. And what have they done anyway, other than speak about it? Are they going to impose sanctions on Iran perhaps?
  #243  
Old 05-10-2020, 06:33 PM
Rushgeekgirl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Memphis
Posts: 6,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Meanwhile in the real world:

President Donald Trump used his address at the United Nations General Assembly Tuesday to bolster his global initiative to decriminalize homosexuality.

"My administration is working with other nations to stop criminalizing homosexuality,"


This "Resistance" LARPing is all about living in a fantasy to avoid self examination, just imagine everything bad in the world is because of them, then by default the LARPer is a champion for all that is good.
Objectivity and principles do not apply, as is being amply demonstrated here with the blatant double standards at play.
I try to avoid this part of the forum because it's generally so petty and uncivil but I have been curious about the general opinion about Tara Reade so I clicked.

I gotta ask, did you actually READ what you just posted here? Because it does not in any way support what you are trying to promote. His message was not meant to be about helping LGBT community but to bolster nationalism.


"Throwing in a reference to opposing the criminalization of same-sex relations while at the same time stating that the national supersedes the international, and that tradition and culture are sacred, is one more example of President Trump's hypocrisy," OutRight Executive Director Jessica Stern said in a statement.

Trump made claims when he was campaigning that he would support the community but he has done nothing since elected but use the community and this is an outstanding example. Meanwhile in the REAL world we are seeing rights to custody, rights to marry, rights to adopt and rights for trans people, especially young trans people, taken from us in many Republican states without a peep from this wonderfully supportive-of-LGBT president.
  #244  
Old 05-10-2020, 06:39 PM
Rushgeekgirl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Memphis
Posts: 6,205
Also...

"Meanwhile"



The Trump administration has taken quiet steps to dismantle LGBTQ health initiatives by defunding key fields of research, prohibiting the use of the word "transgender" informal studies and removing protections for LGBTQ workers and patients. https://www.ebar.com/bartab/fundraiser/286160

Oh yeah he's REAL supportive. This isn't political for me. I have a trans son and a bisexual daughter and I am seeing the changes. I have seen how quick people are to discriminate and it's starting to look a lot like the bigotry the LGBT community faced here in the South in the 80s. We are definitely seeing regression, we are seeing more violence against members of the trans community. We are seeing these Focus on the Family groups trying to criminalize doctors even DISCUSSING options for trans teens. And has Trump tried to stop this? NO, he's too busy trying to make out like the real danger is the foreigners. Those bad ol' Muslims.
  #245  
Old 05-10-2020, 06:40 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,229
Present Donald Trump on (a) Tuesday (in September 2019) - I'm not sure why we need to know it happened on a Tuesday eight months ago, but can you give us some examples of REAL WORLD efforts he's undertaken, not just empty words at the UN one day last fall?
  #246  
Old 05-10-2020, 06:49 PM
Rushgeekgirl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Memphis
Posts: 6,205
As for Reade, you'd have to be a moron to not recognize she's lying about being raped. She might have felt uncomfortable with how huggy Biden is. Hell he could have said things that made her feel icky. Old guys do that some times thinking they're being fun and flirty and don't even think about it. I've experienced it my whole life but when she decided to go from feeling uncomfortable to him raping her it was obvious she wasn't being honest. I have seen this woman's story used by politician who want to make Biden look bad. They don't give a shit about Tara Reade, they're using her just like she claimed Biden used her. Convenient tool of the ones who don't want Biden in office, I'd say. Looking at what evidence we have at this point that's more rational than her stories. Maybe she should have stuck with her original story and it would have been more believable. Then again it lacked the "oompf" needed to really make people question Biden's morals.

Not me though. If it's between a guy who has one woman who has a somewhat suspicious claim against a guy who bragged about grabbing women in the pussy, who has been recorded leaning in far too much, making weird and outright creepy comments about dating his own daughter (please do not try to excuse that shit because if your buddy said it you'd have been squicked out and you know it!) I'm gonna go with the first one.
  #247  
Old 05-10-2020, 07:17 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I do hope Cleatus, Billy Bob and Trey see the photoshopped pictures of themselves holding huge dildos.
Yeah, that was some real 'let the subtext become the text' photo-shopping.

(Though of course the pic is properly described as "three dildos holding oversized sex-toys.")

Fifteen other examples here: the Cheney photo is particularly cute: https://www.boredpanda.com/dildos-re...mpaign=organic
  #248  
Old 05-10-2020, 08:49 PM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
Present Donald Trump on (a) Tuesday (in September 2019) - I'm not sure why we need to know it happened on a Tuesday eight months ago, but can you give us some examples of REAL WORLD efforts he's undertaken, not just empty words at the UN one day last fall?
That was his biggest achievement in 2019, or maybe of his entire tenure. Oh wait, my bad, he also managed to rename NAFTA.
__________________
Flush the Turd 2020
  #249  
Old 05-10-2020, 10:37 PM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,862
and really made Puerto Ricans appreciate the bounty of, well, Bounty.
  #250  
Old 05-10-2020, 11:53 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
and really made Puerto Ricans appreciate the bounty of, well, Bounty.

And the dignity he brought to the office of the president with that very well managed and choreagraphed, almost ballet-like, distribution of the Bounty.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017