Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Fuck off. Ann Hedonia's post was weapons grade crazy. It's the SDMB equivalent of right wing Facebook spam warning all Good Christian Folk that if the Democrats win in November they'll be bribing lesbian welfare queens to abort their toddlers by Christmas. Just 100% batshit crazy nonsense.
I had to admit that my first reaction was "Oh, come on, things aren't going to get THAT bad." Then I remembered that I'm a white guy whose bi side doesn't show and I felt a little doubt. THEN I remembered all the horrible things that HAVE happened in the last three years, things that I would never have believed would happen so quickly after the White House started getting Cheeto-dust fingerprints all over it, and I gotta tell you, it sounds less like batshit crazy and more like a completely possible worst-case scenario.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Yeah, that was some real 'let the subtext become the text' photo-shopping.

(Though of course the pic is properly described as "three dildos holding oversized sex-toys.")

Fifteen other examples here: the Cheney photo is particularly cute: https://www.boredpanda.com/dildos-re...mpaign=organic
If I'm Harry Whittington, I'm thankful he only used a shotgun when he shot me in the face.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:44 AM

Was it really Bill Gates who first said the following?
Quote:
We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don't let yourself be lulled into inaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
You are crazy as a shithouse rat. Seriously, get help.
Ms. Hedonia was projecting thirty years into the future. Obviously we can't predict accurately that far, but if Trumpism stays empowered, America could head straight for a dystopia very quickly. If anything, the future may be worse than Ms. Hedonia describes. Even five years can be a long time: if you had a sneak preview of 2020 in 2015 you'd think it was wild fiction or a nightmare.

When I watched the TV series Handmaiden's Tale my first reaction — even though premises' details were unrelated — was that I was watching the sort of future sought, whether wittingly or not, by the GOP.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
If I'm Harry Whittington, I'm thankful he only used a shotgun when he shot me in the face.
Now that's a mental image that's going to linger...
Old 05-15-2020, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Today on Politico, Natasha Korecki paints a picture of Tara Reade as being little more than a con artist.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:16 PM

Yep, just finished it. Pretty devastating take-down of Reade.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:23 PM

PBS News Hour tonight had a segment on this. Tara Reade's case grows weaker. I'd link but it's not available online yet.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 PM

Here it is.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Was it really Bill Gates who first said the following?

Ms. Hedonia was projecting thirty years into the future. Obviously we can't predict accurately that far, but if Trumpism stays empowered, America could head straight for a dystopia very quickly. If anything, the future may be worse than Ms. Hedonia describes. Even five years can be a long time: if you had a sneak preview of 2020 in 2015 you'd think it was wild fiction or a nightmare.

When I watched the TV series Handmaiden's Tale my first reaction — even though premises' details were unrelated — was that I was watching the sort of future sought, whether wittingly or not, by the GOP.
I want to repeat that I was a little over the top and off-topic when I wrote the bit about gays being executed. I wish I could go back and edit it to “entrapped, arrested,shamed and forced to undergo chemical castration”.

Because, with the exception of that one thing, everything I described was status quo at some point during my lifetime. A lifetime of half-assed compromise candidates and holding my nose and voting for the least bad candidate worked. But I also know how tenuous it is and how many people want to undo it by reverting to the America of 1955.
Even if when we can’t advance it, it takes work to maintain it at hold the ground we’ve gained.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

That’s one of the hardest hitting Politico articles I’ve ever read. They’re not known for that type of journalism. That tells me they were more gentle on Reade than could have been.

I’ve known a couple of people like her. Absolutely toxic, completely messed up lives. At least it appears that drugs or alcohol have never been an issue in her life.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
That’s one of the hardest hitting Politico articles I’ve ever read. They’re not known for that type of journalism. That tells me they were more gentle on Reade than could have been.

I’ve known a couple of people like her. Absolutely toxic, completely messed up lives. At least it appears that drugs or alcohol have never been an issue in her life.
One of the best pieces of investigative journalism I've seen from Politico.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:34 AM

That Politico story might just be the worst piece of "investigative journalism" that I have ever seen.

They found some of Tara Reade's former landlords, who say she didn't always pay her rent.

They discovered that Tara is her middle name, and she sometimes used her first name.

They discovered that she sometimes used her married name just after she got divorced.

They discovered that she claimed to be a victim of domestic violence in her marriage, but her husband denied it.

Apparently she didn't tell everyone she met she was raped, which even this article briefly points out is standard for rape victims.

I suppose this is meant to bring her credibility into question, as if Biden isn't a pathological liar. It's an utter fiasco. A smear job designed to support Biden against one of the highly credible accusations against him.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:51 AM

Please keep these two links handy for anyone who suspects that Tara Reade might not be a liar:

Old 05-16-2020, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyard View Post
That Politico story might just be the worst piece of "investigative journalism" that I have ever seen.

They found some of Tara Reade's former landlords, who say she didn't always pay her rent.

They discovered that Tara is her middle name, and she sometimes used her first name.

They discovered that she sometimes used her married name just after she got divorced.

They discovered that she claimed to be a victim of domestic violence in her marriage, but her husband denied it.

Apparently she didn't tell everyone she met she was raped, which even this article briefly points out is standard for rape victims.

I suppose this is meant to bring her credibility into question, as if Biden isn't a pathological liar. It's an utter fiasco. A smear job designed to support Biden against one of the highly credible accusations against him.
Stay away from the brown acid.

One reason for frequent name changes is debt and another is to avoid skip tracing.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
One reason for frequent name changes is debt and another is to avoid skip tracing.
Also a frequent tactic of con artists. I had a grandmother like that: her name and background changed to fit whichever story was most beneficial to her at the time.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

An interesting point came out in my online political chat groups. Many of the diehard #IBelieveTara types were harassing the media about their lack of coverage. And many of them weren’t being polite about it.

Now, they may be getting their coverage of the Tara story but they won’t like it.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Was this the same Politico story the rest of us read? If so, your attempt to summarize it was ... peculiar. Let me mention some parts you missed:
Quote:
“You can use these words: manipulative, deceitful, user,” said Kelly Klett, an attorney who rented Reade a room in her home in 2018. “Looking back at it all now, that is exactly how I view her and how I feel about her.”

... Hummer ... described Reade as “very clever, manipulative. ... I do think she’s a liar.”

Hummer provided an email from an exchange in which, within weeks of starting at the ranch, Reade asked whether she could bring her car on Hummer’s property to hide it from “the repo man.” Hummer declined.
... Hummer also alleged Reade called a veterinarian to the ranch to service her personal horse, leaving Hummer to pay a $1,400 bill.

... When [Chung] returned to the house he had once fixed up for her, he said the floors had been damaged by animal waste. In the end, Chung recounted, he lost thousands of dollars in court-related fees, lost rent and repair costs.

When he confronted her, Chung said, “She knew exactly what she had done to me and there was no remorse. I knew there was never a chance I’d get my money back.”
Old 05-16-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

So some of the people behind Reade have tried to organize minors to defend her. Minors!!!
https://twitter.com/nomiblocksjerks/...715053056?s=21
Old 05-16-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Indeed. It's real funny (and by "funny", I mean "sad") how privileged liberals - rightfully, for a change - were all #WeBelieveSurvivors about ol' Kavanaugh, but once a survivor comes out talking turkey about Sloppy Joe... out comes a mixture of radio silence, excuses, and straight-up attacks on the survivor.

"Ooh, she missed rent payments!" Yeah... common for people who struggle with the absurd amounts landlords tend to want. So?

The name thing? So many people use their middle names, or don't even use their given names at all... so?

"Her husband denied it." So? What do these guffgibbons expect, the average abuser to just outright admit to it?

It's nothing but straw-grasping, and it's shameful. These people are just as in denial as the average MAGAt - unwilling to connect the easy-ass dots from "someone who does this kind of perverted mess" to "rapist".

Thanks to the pandemic of sociopathy in this country, which unfortunately reflects most of the world these days, any candidate that even hinted at wanting to start chipping away at the "my privileged, arbitrary squad over everything" mentality that permeates this land, and indeed has caused the ostracism of those considered "universal outsiders" like myself, got hosed down.

The result? We have sexual predators in both "major" 2020 presidential candidates. Lovely. I, myself, am gonna skip the "'pool of piss' or 'pool of shit'?" choice this year and opt for some nice, fresh H'20 instead. I do not do "lesser evils", and if (when) the Day-Glo Dotard gets a second term, I'll have morals and Godliness intact while sipping a nice graveyard to the second round of liberal "however did this happen?!?!?!?!" meltdowns.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:55 PM

There is help available. 1-800-you're in cult you dumb fuck.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:18 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
There is help available. 1-800-you're in cult you dumb fuck.
There is no help for idiot asswipes.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Was this the same Politico story the rest of us read? If so, your attempt to summarize it was ... peculiar. Let me mention some parts you missed:
Those parts:

One of her former landlords insulted her.

She tried to stop her car being repossessed.

She didn't pay a bill from a vet.

Another of her landlords says she damaged the floors of the premises she rented.

I suppose that all amount to her being a lying whore who couldn't have been raped. I mean you can't rape someone who has dirty floors, that's just common sense, right?
Old 05-17-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:
septimus's quotes from politico:

You can use these words: manipulative, deceitful, user,” said Kelly Klett, an attorney who rented Reade a room in her home in 2018. “Looking back at it all now, that is exactly how I view her and how I feel about her.”

... Hummer ... described Reade as “very clever, manipulative. ... I do think she’s a liar.”

Hummer provided an email from an exchange in which, within weeks of starting at the ranch, Reade asked whether she could bring her car on Hummer’s property to hide it from “the repo man.” Hummer declined.
... Hummer also alleged Reade called a veterinarian to the ranch to service her personal horse, leaving Hummer to pay a $1,400 bill.

... When [Chung] returned to the house he had once fixed up for her, he said the floors had been damaged by animal waste. In the end, Chung recounted, he lost thousands of dollars in court-related fees, lost rent and repair costs.

When he confronted her, Chung said, “She knew exactly what she had done to me and there was no remorse. I knew there was never a chance I’d get my money back.
Yeah, that's probably painting a picture of a coughcoughCONcough

Quote:
I suppose this is meant to bring her credibility into question...
What were you expecting? A Breitbart fluffpiece?
(Yeah, I know - those bothersome facts.)

Quote:
...as if Biden isn't a pathological liar.
Nope.
Biden might be a bumbling gaffe-meister, but the pathologiocal liar territory has been staked out with a much larger claim by Tara Reade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyDunnit View Post
Indeed. It's real funny (and by "funny", I mean "sad") how privileged liberals - rightfully, for a change - were all #WeBelieveSurvivors about ol' Kavanaugh, but once a survivor comes out talking turkey about Sloppy Joe... out comes a mixture of radio silence, excuses, and straight-up attacks on the survivor.
I'll easily (as you should) give the credibilty nod to Ford over Reade on that one, thanks.

Quote:
"Ooh, she missed rent payments!" Yeah... common for people who struggle with the absurd amounts landlords tend to want. So?

The name thing? So many people use their middle names, or don't even use their given names at all... so?

"Her husband denied it." So? What do these guffgibbons expect, the average abuser to just outright admit to it?

It's nothing but straw-grasping, and it's shameful.
No, not shameful - it's called building a credible case to establish Reade's lack of credibilty. How many more perfectly legitimate pile-ons of her weaselry would it take for you and blindboyard to be maybe convinced that Tara Reade's rep is just so absolutely going down the hallowed shitter?

Quote:
These people are just as in denial as the average MAGAt - unwilling to connect the easy-ass dots from "someone who does this kind of perverted mess" to "rapist".
Yeah? Creepy-feely old uncle shit that Biden has been advised to tone down (and probably will, safe to say?) is tantamount to "rapist", then, huh? Nah, I'd say President Tennis Ass might have more rapey kinda inclinations, if you're gonna try to go down that road. If you're even hinting at the worry of JB of having been or becoming a rapist...yeah - a just a bit more denial on the MAGAT side, perhaps.

Quote:
Thanks to the pandemic of sociopathy in this country, which unfortunately reflects most of the world these days, any candidate that even hinted at wanting to start chipping away at the "my privileged, arbitrary squad over everything" mentality that permeates this land, and indeed has caused the ostracism of those considered "universal outsiders" like myself, got hosed down.
Wow. Lofty. Quite the high-falutin' pandemic you got going there, but nah Gabbard's not chipping away at fucking anything, thanks. And Gravel devolving into libertarian - meh. Oh the osctracism permeating thls land to hose you down.

Quote:

The result? We have sexual predators in both "major" 2020 presidential candidates. Lovely.
A false equivalence that doesn't need to be mentioned twice in the same post.

Quote:
I, myself, am gonna skip the "'pool of piss' or 'pool of shit'?" choice this year and opt for some nice, fresh H'20 instead. I do not do "lesser evils"...
Oh, so I guess you've never voted before, Trump enabler.

Quote:
...and if (when) the Day-Glo Dotard gets a second term, I'll have morals and Godliness intact while sipping a nice graveyard to the second round of liberal "however did this happen?!?!?!?!" meltdowns.
Well bless your heart you particularly douchebaggish schandenfreude-y (to reiterate) Trump enabler.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
No, not shameful - it's called building a credible case to establish Reade's lack of credibilty. How many more perfectly legitimate pile-ons of her weaselry would it take for you and blindboyard to be maybe convinced that Tara Reade's rep is just so absolutely going down the hallowed shitter?
Some actual legitimate ones would suffice. The contents of that Politico article either amounts to so little it would drown in my cat's water dishes, or reeks of liberal manufactales. The section featuring the "real estate investor" is especially priceless - a trashy, morals-bereft occupation for trashy, morals-bereft people; no decent person reads that and feels even a pang of sympathy for someone as Hellbound as a damn "real estate investor".

Quote:
Oh, so I guess you've never voted before, Trump enabler.

Well bless your heart you particularly douchebaggish schandenfreude-y (to reiterate) Trump enabler.
I vote in every election I'm eligible for, actually. I research as much as possible. I vote for candidates that pass the character test. But, this is America, so I do have to make heavy use of that write-in box (and leave a lotta races blank). A "lesser evil" is still evil, and cozying up to evil in any form, including voting for it (except for some light heightening of them contradictions from time to time ), is an affront to God and Nature (barring extreme circumstances, and no, a false choice like Trump vs Biden doesn't count), so I refuse to do so.

Last edited by DoggyDunnit; 05-17-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Some actual legitimate ones would suffice. The contents of that Politico article either amounts to so little it would drown in my cat's water dishes, or reeks of liberal manufactales.
Claims are great, but how about some facts or just shut the fuck up, then?

Quote:
The section featuring the "real estate investor" is especially priceless - a trashy, morals-bereft occupation for trashy, morals-bereft people; no decent person reads that and feels even a pang of sympathy for someone as Hellbound as a damn "real estate investor".
Has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:
I vote in every election I'm eligible for, actually. I research as much as possible. I vote for candidates that pass the character test. But, this is America, so I do have to make heavy use of that write-in box (and leave a lotta races blank). A "lesser evil" is still evil, and cozying up to evil in any form, including voting for it (except for some light heightening of them contradictions from time to time ), is an affront to God and Nature (barring extreme circumstances, and no, a false choice like Trump vs Biden doesn't count), so I refuse to do so.
In other words, stupid and proud of it.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Some actual legitimate ones would suffice. The contents of that Politico article either amounts to so little it would drown in my cat's water dishes...
Hey fill your boots in normalizing shitty behaviour all you want - you do you.

Quote:
...or reeks of liberal manufactales.
WTF? Do you always sound like a Russian shill?

Quote:
morals-bereft people.
Quote:
is an affront to God and Nature
Oh good - a dougiemonty sock. (at least, please - that second quote has to goofy hyperbole.

Quote:
I research as much as possible.
In which you're doing a spotty job of it in this thread.

Quote:
I vote for candidates that pass the character test.
oooooooo, so deep, man.

Quote:
A "lesser evil" is still evil, and cozying up to evil in any form, including voting for it (except for some light heightening of them contradictions from time to time ), is an affront to God and Nature (barring extreme circumstances, and no, a false choice like Trump vs Biden doesn't count), so I refuse to do so.
Uh yeah, my point still obviously stands - I'm surprised that you ever vote in the first place with such goofy metrics. Not every politician is a stellar outlier like Barack Obama, so if you can't accept the painfully-obvious-as-fuck inevitabilty of having to pick between the lesser of two evils, then feel free to wallow in, yeah, your Trump enabling.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
WTF? Do you always sound like a Russian shill?
Sounds like a Russian shill, but probably not a Russian shill. Just someone who believes that has, for all practical purposes, rejected the idea that his country is a democracy. His contempt for everyone else's votes is so great that he votes for write ins out of spite, knowing damn well that there's actually a difference between Biden and Trump but is so disgusted with the moderate left that he refuses to participate in a system that allows the lesser of two evils to compete against each other in the final contest (he said it himself).

He thinks he's making a statement and expressing an inspired love of democracy, but he's not; it's actually democracy debased. He would rather do something that will help the guy who is openly flouting democratic norms instead of the guy who, in his mind, is a democrat but won't promise to reform boldly or quickly enough.

As I have said, this November's election isn't just a referendum on Trump; it's a referendum on our own democratic political traditions. I think we know where doggy-d stands.

Last edited by asahi; 05-17-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It's nothing but straw-grasping, and it's shameful. These people are just as in denial as the average MAGAt - unwilling to connect the easy-ass dots from "someone who does this kind of perverted mess" to "rapist".
There are a bunch of really important issues that have emerged during the whole Reade/Biden debate, but this post is complete dumbfuckery.

Firstly, I think that, when Reade's accusations against Biden first became public, there were a lot of people who did not exactly cover themselves in glory. There were individuals and organizations who, after allegations of sexual misconduct emerged about people like Brett Kavanaugh, jumped straight on the "guilty until proven innocent" bandwagon, ridiculing any notion of evidence or due process. But when someone on their own side of the political fence was accused, they suddenly developed a commitment to investigations and hard evidence and research and due process. It was a pretty bad look, and will remain bad whether it turns out that Reade is a lunatic attention-seeker, or whether her accusations are completely accurate.

When Reade's accusations first emerged, I was completely willing to believe that they might be true, despite the fact that I generally like Biden and would certainly prefer him over the toxic-orange nincompoop currently in the White House. My basic position was that her accusations should be taken seriously (NOT believed without question; that's not the same thing), and that, if she made the allegations to law enforcement, then they should investigate as required by law. I also expected and hoped that investigative reporters would look into the allegations to determine whether or not they were credible. And that is, over time, what has happened.

Having kept up with the reporting, I am finding Reade less credible as time goes on. The fact that none of the stuff in the Politico article is specifically about assault or sexual harassment doesn't change the fact that the investigation calls her general credibility and reliability into question. The contortions that you and blindboyard have engaged in to misrepresent the article are quite something to behold. It's not just that "she missed rent payments"—I think most people here would say that simply missing payments doesn't call her credibility into question at all—it's that she engaged in a variety of behaviors that were clearly dishonest. It's not just that she "used her middle name"; it's that she appears to have used multiple names in ways designed to cover her past behaviors. Every person I know who uses his or her middle name does so habitually and indeed does it all the time. I don't know anyone who switches back and forth on a regular basis, although I concede that some people might do this. She didn't just not pay a vet bill; she skipped out and left it to be paid by the person who owned the property.

None of this, taken as a whole, means that Biden didn't assault her, or that she is lying about that one specific thing. Even habitual liars tell the truth about some things. Much (all?) of it would also most likely be inadmissible if Biden were put on trial for sexual assault. But in the public sphere, broad credibility is an issue when we evaluate the claims that people are making, and when you combine the credibility issues with the lack of evidence, it's going to be hard for her to make a credible case, either legally or in the court of public opinion.

Nor does the fact that Biden does some creepy shit mean that he's a rapist, or that we should simply be willing to "connect the easy-ass dots" to draw such a conclusion, as you so stupidly assert. As I said earlier, if further investigation does show that her claims against Biden are credible, I won't be at all surprised, mainly because I'm not particularly surprised anymore when ANY politician or other powerful person turns out to have a history of sexual misconduct. But right now, her accusations are a bit difficult to credit.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Oh good - a dougiemonty sock. (at least, please - that second quote has to goofy hyperbole.
Nope. I'm a religious communist, and proud of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Sounds like a Russian shill, but probably not a Russian shill. Just someone who believes that has, for all practical purposes, rejected the idea that his country is a democracy. His contempt for everyone else's votes is so great that he votes for write ins out of spite, knowing damn well that there's actually a difference between Biden and Trump but is so disgusted with the moderate left that he refuses to participate in a system that allows the lesser of two evils to compete against each other in the final contest (he said it himself).

He thinks he's making a statement and expressing an inspired love of democracy, but he's not; it's actually democracy debased. He would rather do something that will help the guy who is openly flouting democratic norms instead of the guy who, in his mind, is a democrat but won't promise to reform boldly or quickly enough.

As I have said, this November's election isn't just a referendum on Trump; it's a referendum on our own democratic political traditions. I think we know where doggy-d stands.
"moderate left".

Look at where Biden is on this. The fact that someone as far right as Biden is considered "moderate left" in this country is just... wowza.

This is me. A "lite" version of me would be roughly between a 2/-2 and a 6/-6 on the left side of that compass on on both axes - that's a moderate leftist. Biden ain't nowhere close to that.

Biden is Trump lite. Sorry, Charlie, but that's just how things be. It's a microcosm of the fact that there's no fundamental difference between the Republicans and the Democrats. Keep in mind, I don't particularly even *like* Bernie, Tulsi, or Gravel, but at least their hearts are in the right places, even though - and refer to the chart above again - they are *barely even left-wing*, themselves and could (and should) be further in.

Last edited by DoggyDunnit; 05-17-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Look at where Biden is on this. The fact that someone as far right as Biden is considered "moderate left" in this country is just... wowza.

This is me. A "lite" version of me would be roughly between a 2/-2 and a 6/-6 on the left side of that compass on on both axes - that's a moderate leftist. Biden ain't nowhere close to that.

Biden is Trump lite.
Well, shit, if a little internet toy whose creators refuse to say who they are and refuse to say how they score stuff say so, I guess it must be gospel.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

...And in the race to see which has sold out faster in the Covid era, toilet paper and #metoo are neck and neck!
Old 05-17-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
...And in the race to see which has sold out faster in the Covid era, toilet paper and #metoo are neck and neck!
...thus displaying once again that you really don't understand #MeToo.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I forgot that it was a weapon intended to be aimed at Trump, which has now circled back on the left.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I forgot that it was a weapon intended to be aimed at Trump, which has now circled back on the left.
You're fundamentally ignorant on this topic, and probably unable to be educated and understand. I've certainly tried and tried in many threads, and you show absolutely no inclination to even consider the possibility that some people truly actually care about fighting sexual assault more than politics. Sad and tiresome, but there it is.

Hopefully any girls and women in your life (and perhaps even more importantly, boys and men) learn about this from fundamentally decent and open-minded people (obviously not you!) who see sexual assault and rape as the truly monstrous society-wide crime that it is, rather than some amusing one-liner to use as political snark for internet points.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-17-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
You're fundamentally ignorant on this topic, and probably unable to be educated and understand. I've certainly tried and tried in many threads, and you show absolutely no inclination to even consider the possibility that some people truly actually care about fighting sexual assault more than politics. Sad and tiresome, but there it is.

Hopefully any girls and women in your life (and perhaps even more importantly, boys and men) learn about this from fundamentally decent and open-minded people (obviously not you!) who see sexual assault and rape as the truly monstrous society-wide crime that it is, rather than some amusing one-liner to use as political snark for internet points.
He's not ignorant, iiandyiiii, he's just trolling. Anything to own the libs.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Emphasis added.
Quote:
The Political Compass is a universal tool, applicable to all western democracies. It shows the whole potential political landscape, not simply one within the confines of any particular country. For example, Bernie Sanders is popularly perceived in his own country as an off-the-wall left figure; in other western democracies he would sit squarely within the mainstream social democratic parties that regularly form governments or comprise the largest opposition.
Here, too.

No, Biden is not moderate left by the criteria of that site. By US standards, he's the most progressive candidate of a major party in a century.

BTW, the choice between Biden and trump is what we're voting on here. If you want a Green president, voting Democrat now is the fastest way to get there.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:20 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I vote in every election I'm eligible for, actually. I research as much as possible. I vote for candidates that pass the character test. But, this is America, so I do have to make heavy use of that write-in box (and leave a lotta races blank). A "lesser evil" is still evil, and cozying up to evil in any form, including voting for it (except for some light heightening of them contradictions from time to time ), is an affront to God and Nature...
You do all the research... but believe in God? Yeah, might want to expand the critical thinking there.

And you actually buy that "The Political Compass" means anything?

Last edited by RickJay; 05-17-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nope. I'm a religious communist, and proud of it.

"moderate left".

Biden is Trump lite. Sorry, Charlie, but that's just how things be. It's a microcosm of the fact that there's no fundamental difference between the Republicans and the Democrats. Keep in mind, I don't particularly even *like* Bernie, Tulsi, or Gravel, but at least their hearts are in the right places, even though - and refer to the chart above again - they are *barely even left-wing*, themselves and could (and should) be further in.
You’re a troll and a particularly stupid troll.

I don’t give a fuck where Bernie Sanders or Biden fits on some stupid world scale, they’re not running for President there. In case you haven’t noticed, the race is for President of the USA.

Also, while there may be far left fringe parties in other democracies, they don’t hold power.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
Emphasis added.

Here, too.

No, Biden is not moderate left by the criteria of that site. By US standards, he's the most progressive candidate of a major party in a century.

BTW, the choice between Biden and trump is what we're voting on here. If you want a Green president, voting Democrat now is the fastest way to get there.
We've got two fascists, neither of which will lead to much of anything positive. So no, choosing the diet fascist won't get there any "faster" - or at all, for that matter.

And no, Biden is not "the most progressive candidate of a major party in a century". A good several are much more left than he is, and a couple are actually objectively "left" (albeit verrrrrry tepidly, Bernie-style). And the best example is one that actually became President - FDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
You do all the research... but believe in God? Yeah, might want to expand the critical thinking there.

And you actually buy that "The Political Compass" means anything?
Ah, yes, the old "anyone who's religious doesn't think" canard. Cute. Being such a flaming atheist is not a sign of intelligence and rationality; it's a sign of bigotry. Higher powers give purpose to not only humanity, but the universe as a whole. To think otherwise amounts of a form of nihilism, which - sorry, not sorry - I don't do. I'm not just a temporarily-sapient sack of matter that didn't live before this biological birth and won't live ever again after my eventual biological death. The soul matters.

And yes. It's a measurement tool. You might as well dismiss other ways of measuring things, too, based on such hard-hitting scientific refutations as the fact it exposes the zombie the Dems nominated as nothing more than Diet Trump.

Quote:
You’re a troll and a particularly stupid troll.

I don’t give a fuck where Bernie Sanders or Biden fits on some stupid world scale, they’re not running for President there. In case you haven’t noticed, the race is for President of the USA.

Also, while there may be far left fringe parties in other democracies, they don’t hold power.
I'm only a "troll" insofar as you consider me a "troll" for being sincerely honest about my culture, morals, etc and you simply not liking that. I'm not pretending; this is genuinely who I am, formed by my circumstances. Circumstances that woke me up to a hell of a lot of suppressed truths.

Newsflash: The United States is part of the world, and the whole world matters. Not everything revolves around America, and America doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Your second statement is correct in the most useless way. Of course they don't hold power - the CIA, MI6, etc make sure that elections get rigged all the time. And when the rigging fails and a real leftist force does win power somewhere, it's coup time! And this ain't just the Operation Condor of the history books, this just happened last October with Evo Morales, an actual leftist duly elected in Bolivia (to the point even the US front posing as a "watchdog" later admitted they lied about the election being 'fraudulent'), getting couped out.

Some succeed despite the coup attempts, like Maduro's Venezuela (rip in peace, Guaido's failed coup), and Castro's Cuba, and they're definitely examples that imperial mess can be caught, neutered, and sent back home... but they're exceptions, not rules. The fact anti-left sabotage & coups are so prevalent speaks to how immersed this era is in pure evil, as several Biblical books and several other holy texts speak of. Can't be having none of that "actual civilization" stuff popping up, no siree Bob

Last edited by DoggyDunnit; 05-17-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:40 PM

This is what passes for 'critical thinking' on Facebook.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:18 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
We've got two fascists, neither of which will lead to much of anything positive. So no, choosing the diet fascist won't get there any "faster" - or at all, for that matter.

Are you serious? Biden is not fascist. Trump, on the other hand, adores that philosophy.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:33 AM

DoggyDiddit: are you an insult to religion by trying to be associated with it in any way, shape or form? Answer honestly.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
DoggyDiddit: are you an insult to religion by trying to be associated with it in any way, shape or form? Answer honestly.
...for once in your life.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh
And don't be too quick to blame them, either. I certainly won't. You've had four years to figure out that people aren't necessarily going to vote for a shit candidate just because he or she isn't quite as shitty as the other guy.
@ Linty Fresh — So on a 1-to-10 shittiness scale you put Trump at 8.9 and Biden at 8.6?

God must love stupid clueless people: He made so many of them.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
@ Linty Fresh — So on a 1-to-10 shittiness scale you put Trump at 8.9 and Biden at 8.6?

God must love stupid clueless people: He made so many of them.
(sputter) . . . Why, how DARE you? Where do you get the nerve to . . .

Wait a minute. I wrote that, like, a week ago. Are you still pissed about something you read a week ago?

On the Internet??

Sigh . . . Poor old Wile E. Coyote. You know you're not going to catch the Roadrunner, but every time he zips by and beep-beeps your butt, it just flicks a switch, right? You just can't help it. You can't leave me around chocolate. We can't leave you logged in.

And yeah, I put Biden at slightly less shitty than Trump. What's your point? I'll vote for the lesser of two evils. I won't fight for the lesser of two evils.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
Sigh . . . Poor old Wile E. Coyote. You know you're not going to catch the Roadrunner, but every time he zips by and beep-beeps your butt, it just flicks a switch, right? You just can't help it. You can't leave me around chocolate. We can't leave you logged in.
You know, I have to run off to work, but I was looking at what I typed here, and something clicked.

That's it. THAT'S IT!! That's what this board reminds me of. We used to be the smartest, hippest people on the Internet, but that was in the glory days of . . . well, not having anything better to do.

Not any more. This is a message board filled with Wile E. Coyotes and Elmer Fudds. We're just wandering around wondering why nothing goes right. We're playing a part. We're playing a role. We just keep saying the same things over and over again and making the same mistakes, and we don't listen and we don't learn.

Doubt me? Fine. Go search for threads in the Pit and Great Debates from 2003 and 2004, back when I came on, and tell me you can spot the difference. It's the same damned thing, right? Democracy is on the ropes (Joking aside, it's ALWAYS on the ropes. Get that part straight), but that's OK, because Kerry is going to beat Bush. Why? Because Kerry is waayyy less shitty than Bush, right? Right?

And then surprise, surprise, it all goes to shit, and we don't get anything, and the Acme catapult is ruined, and we can't even return it, because we voided the warranty.

Sigh . . . I mean, think about it: What would be the point of a Looney Tunes episode with no action and where Elmer Fudd puts down the shotgun, sits under the tree, and just . . . thinks. Reflects. Just thinks to himself along the lines of "OK, maybe it's me. What's wrong with my radar? How do I get back on track?" I just don't think the kids would understand. The kids want to see Elmer fuck up and fail and be humiliated, and as long as the Looney Tunes pay checks keep coming, Elmer is happy to oblige. Well, not happy. But certainly comfortably established in his role.

Worth a thought, right?

Last edited by Linty Fresh; 05-18-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Are you serious?
No, just a Facebook and Twitter philosopher.

In other words, badly misinformed but convinced he's another Hegel or Marx.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:11 AM

The lifeboat of our democracy has sprung a leak a long way from shore and is in danger of capsizing taking us all down with it. Some people are frantically bailing water trying to keep it a float, while others are complaining that the buckets we are using are not as large as they could be and nor made out of certified organic hemp, and won't lift a finger until such buckets are made available. If the boat sinks well, its the people bailing who were the problem.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
The lifeboat of our democracy has sprung a leak a long way from shore and is in danger of capsizing taking us all down with it. Some people are frantically bailing water trying to keep it a float, while others are complaining that the buckets we are using are not as large as they could be and nor made out of certified organic hemp, and won't lift a finger until such buckets are made available. If the boat sinks well, its the people bailing who were the problem.
Read your history, Buck. The lifeboat of our democracy (a constitutional republic, to be precise) has always been somewhat leaky. Every once in a while, the lifeboat capsizes, and a bunch of us are left foundering in the water until we manage to get ourselves back. I'm with you on that. Constitutional abuse is something we all need to watch against, and again, if you read your 20th-century history, you'll find that it doesn't matter whether the president has an "R" or "D" after his name.

On that note, I don't think there's anything particularly unique about this election or even this president. Ooooh, we put a total fuckwit in the White House. That hasn't happened since 2004! Maybe if we learn the lessons from 2004, we can save the lifeboat of democracy.

What we need isn't more people bailing water or bigger hemp buckets. We need a beacon. We need the lighthouse of inspired leadership to lead us to the shores of knowledgeable political process so that we can stagger into the tavern of constructive bipartisanship and drink the heady ale of good civics while carousing with the saucy wenches of sensible legislation, and . . . OK, you're better at this than I am, but my point stands. The sky isn't falling, Chicken Little, and there's going to be a 2024 presidential election regardless of who wins. Maybe we shift focus to preparing for THAT one, perhaps?
Old 05-18-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Isn't the standard religious view that we're all, each and every one of us, evil? Nobody is perfect but God, right? So every time you vote, between any two human candidates, you're always picking a lesser evil. The third party and write-in candidates you pick are evil, too.