Old 05-13-2020, 09:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
For Dopers who are already in their retirement years, but say they would happily jump back to being age 20 and broke, how do you think that might make your life feel (good or bad)? Do you think you might suffer from feeling over-extended in life, since this would essentially boost your life by half a century (you might have originally passed away at age 80, but now, thanks to jumping back to young age, you're going to die at age 80 + 50, thus living a total of 130 years?)

Do you think you might get hit by too much "life fatigue?"

Nice. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. When you go back as a 20 yr old, it's not with the current life experience and knowledge. Everything is erased or didn't happen at all. You're just young again and start from scratch.

Even still, yes, I read that the billionaires of today who are advanced in years would easily trade all that money back to be young again.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:54 PM
BANNED

What I'm trying to get at here with this question is to expose the fact that majority consensus is proving that money is not the most important thing here. While money is important and great, the most important thing is the "life experience"....you don't want to erase your memories or the children you've had....you want to do things you've never had a chance doing or whatnot.

I've been arguing with my RL situation about why some people don't understand why I'd be upset to get paid money for doing nothing. Because the point is, I don't want just the money. I don't want to just skip the whole year and get paid my salary. I want to enjoy the year and fill with experiences, memories, good and bad times, have emotion, passion, and fulfillment in my days. So while it may seem like people think why complain for getting paid to do nothing, there are many reasons to complain about that life. It's not fulfilling or rewarding at all. This is relation due to the covid19 situation and everyone's life being sort of put on hold or grinded to a halt.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflakes2 View Post
What I'm trying to get at here with this question is to expose the fact that majority consensus is proving that money is not the most important thing here. While money is important and great, the most important thing is the "life experience"....you don't want to erase your memories or the children you've had....you want to do things you've never had a chance doing or whatnot.
Were you under the impression that many people think money is the most important thing in life? To whom are you exposing this enlightenment?

Quote:
I've been arguing with my RL situation about why some people don't understand why I'd be upset to get paid money for doing nothing. Because the point is, I don't want just the money. I don't want to just skip the whole year and get paid my salary. I want to enjoy the year and fill with experiences, memories, good and bad times, have emotion, passion, and fulfillment in my days. So while it may seem like people think why complain for getting paid to do nothing, there are many reasons to complain about that life. It's not fulfilling or rewarding at all. This is relation due to the covid19 situation and everyone's life being sort of put on hold or grinded to a halt.
Perhaps I run in strange crowds, but I don't know of a single person who thinks the current situation is good and enjoys giving up all of those things you mentioned, whether currently employed or not.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I can readily understand why people are upset by not being able to get the particular experiences they'd been expecting to have.

But having said that -- even if you're stuck in a one room apartment, you've obviously got internet access. There's a near-infinite number of things you could learn, and/or watch, and/or listen to; and more people who you can communicate with than you could possibly have time to. You may not be able to have emotion, passion, and fulfillment in your expected or ordinary ways; but I see no reason why you can't have them at all.

And when your physical circumstances are circumscribed, try looking closer. Do you have access to a yard or garden? Try looking hard, really hard, at a square foot of ground. How many species can you find, if you look close? That won't work so well if your ground is all pavement, or has been carefully poisoned of everything but one species of grass (though in the latter case try looking underneath, you might be surprised); but try listening, really hard. How many different sounds can you identify? How many different flavors are in your kitchen? Do you know what your walls are made of? Can you find out? Do you know how those materials are made, where they come from?

Yes, of course it hurts not to be able to do particular things that you love doing. But that's not a reason to conclude that you can't have any experiences at all.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I already know what I'd choose but here are the details of the debate.

Let's say you have two choices:

A) You are 20 years old but have $0 in the bank

or

B) You are retired at 65 years old and have $1 million in the bank

Which life path would you choose?
Sounds to me like two points on the same life path! Mine, specifically. (OK, I had ~$1000 in the bank from summer jobs when I was 20, and now I'm 66 with a bit more than a million, but close enough for government work.)
Quote:
Start off at 65 as a retiree and have a million bucks
to do with for the rest of your life or be young (like 20 years old) but have not a penny to spend and
start from scratch with nothing.
Is there a brainwipe that goes with this?

Because if there's not, there's no way I'm going back to 20. I'll retire comfortably in 2023, and won't have to work another day after that. I have zero interest in starting my working lifetime all over again, putting in another 40 years of showing up at the office, when I'm this close to being done with it. Seriously, fuck that shit.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 05-15-2020 at 01:43 PM.