Old 05-13-2020, 04:07 AM

Your last social function?

When and what was the last social function you attended (defined as an organized gathering of more than 10 people who don't ordinarily reside together or near each other)?

I attended a funeral(!) around March 17th. By then, locally the start of the shutdown had begun with schools, sports, and cinemas closed and restaurants reduced to takeaway The full lockdown would arrive on March 20th.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:23 AM

I went to a music club back in ... March? ... February? I can't even remember at this point.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:59 AM

Well, I went to a company Christmas party in 2014 or so. Does that count?
Old 05-13-2020, 06:15 AM

My company had our annual "rah rah company!" all-hands (except for APAC region) conference the last week of February for about 1500 people. Basically a week of TED-talk style presentations and training during the day and team-building social activities, happy hours, general drinking and partying at night. Plus an evening at Disneyland.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:40 AM

Monday, March 9, we threw a Purim party. This is a huge holiday on the Jewish calendar, and actually, way bigger than Chanukah, but the goyim play up Chanukah because it's close to Christmas. Purim is the biggest holiday that is not mentioned in the Torah. It celebrates the events of the book of Esther.

Our one big thing we do every year is a Purim bash and pinball tournament. We don't do anything else the rest of the year, unless there's a milestone birthday, or something-- we don't host seders, break-the-fasts, and very rarely, Thanksgivings (and then, just the once). I've did a baby shower once, too. But the Purim bash is how we reciprocate for all the stuff we get invited to. We probably drop $2,000 on it, because we buy a lot of booze.

You are supposed to get drunk on Purim, and we provide the means for anyone who wants to fulfill that mitzvah. We used to procure a van so we could shuttle people home, but now, we live in a place where people can't leave their cars overnight, so we set up an Uber thing, where people who want to can join in a Uber van ride, and we pay for that.

Anyway, after people are oiled up, we make a lot of noise to a reading of the book of Esther, every time the name of Haman in mentioned. So we warn the neighbors, and invite them. We read a condensed version, so it lasts only about 15 minutes.

We have a buffet supper, and TONS of hamantashen (traditional pastry). I make 9 different kinds, something for everyone. Mine look even better than the ones in the link, but I don't have a picture of mine.

We do set an age minimum of 16 for our guests, and ask that people under 18 come with a parent or guardian. We supply some non-alcoholic beer and virgin mixed drinks, as well as soda and juice.

A couple of times, we've had a pinata, but because these are usually on a weekday, we try to bring them in pretty early, since most people have work the next day.

We end the evening with a pinball tournament. This year, the first prize was a year of Amazon prime, and second prize was TP with Trump's face on it. We had no idea how appropriate those would be. Third prize was a bumper sticker that said "I'd rather be playing pinball," but at least it wasn't something like a movie pass with an expiration date.

It was a pretty good way to go out, for me. We don't have a huge apartment, but we had about 25 guests, crowded into the place. We boarded the dog, and shut the cat in the boychick's room (along with the boychik, voluntarily, who was allowed to have a pizza in his room-- woo-hoo! he was at a friend's part of the evening, and delivered back with his pizza about 1/2-way through).

That was it.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

I think I was probably at a restaurant with 10+ people sometime in February, but if not, it would have been a colleague's going-away party at the end of January or beginning of February.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:36 AM

Went to a party two weeks ago on Saturday. Crossed the state line to do it, too.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:57 AM

I was in a Wednesday night curling league. We had a game on the 11th of March, and it's traditional to hang around afterwards and socialize for a while. The winning team buys the first round.

I had tickets for a concert that Friday, and was going to ask someone at the club to join me, but it was pretty obvious that wasn't going to happen.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 AM

March 7, right before everything went to hell in a bucket for our state we attended the Brahms Vs. Radiohead show put on by composer Steve Hackman and our local symphony . Things were starting to get weird then but we were naive to how weird they were yet to be.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"-Diderot

Last edited by The Chao Goes Mu; 05-13-2020 at 08:07 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-13-2020, 08:16 AM

I cannot recall. There was a Christmas event that I did not go to because I was sick that would have qualified. It has likely been more than a year since I attended something that fits the OP criteria.

Last edited by DinoR; 05-13-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:37 AM

I went to a party Super Bowl Sunday. Other than that, I think the last time I was in a place with a big crowd, was when I met some friends at a local brewery on a Saturday night in early to mid-February.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Super Bowl party at a family member's house. Around 50 people (annual event).

A week later, went to a scuba gathering of 15 people at a local lake. Not really socializing, but we were often <6 feet apart. A few went out for dinner after the dive, but we retreated to our RV to eat alone, which is normal for us.

Nothing since then, but that's not really abnormal for us.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I went on an overnight ski trip with my ski club from March 8-10. We traveled by chartered coach bus up to Sugarbush in Vermont. At that point the virus still seemed like it was far away. We went to bars and restaurants without much thought on this last trip of the season.

The day after we got back is when the sh*t started hitting the fan here in Connecticut. My adult son went to dinner that night with friends at a sushi houseóthatís the last social event he went to. That same night my wife and I went grocery shopping and bought a monthís worth of groceries. My wife hasnít left the house since then (March 11th).
Old 05-13-2020, 09:41 AM

I can hardly remember pre-lockdown. I think my last memory was being at Starbucks and chuckling that the pandemic wouldnt affect us. Yes, I'm an idiot. I cant wait to be able to go somewhere and sit down and enjoy coffee or a beer.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:43 AM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

It's been years. Another couple met us for drinks and dinner at the end of February, but that was well below the OP's number limit. We don't like socializing in large groups.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Swing costume party in late February. Fun times.

I'm looking forward to getting back to that at some point.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
...That same night my wife and I went grocery shopping and bought a monthís worth of groceries. My wife hasnít left the house since then (March 11th).
Actually, now that I think about it, we made a point of only buying two weeks of groceries, because thatís what was being recommended at the time and we didnít want to be hoarders. I wish we had bought some more then, though, because we ran low on items like toilet paper and disinfectant a few weeks later and couldnít easily get any.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

I was last in my office on March 6th. I attended a worship service at my church on March 8th.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Mrs Magill threw me a 50th birthday party at the beginning of March. My family and friends came in from Raleigh. It was nice seeing everyone. It would have been nicer if we could have done it without worrying that we would be a disease vector. Our parents aren't spring chickens anymore.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:11 AM

I went to my favorite cheap restaurant, Subway, near my work (Vanderbilt University Library), the day before we were given laptops and told to work from home -- Thursday, March 19,2020. My last "sit-down-in-a-restaurant" meal! Just a few people in there at the time....
Old 05-13-2020, 10:17 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Our annual Ball in February.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 AM
SD Curator of Critters

My mother passed away on March 2 in New York, and we had the wake on March 8 and funeral/burial on March 9. After the burial, as is traditional in our family, we had a lunch for about 50 family and friends at one of her favorite restaurants.

My mother, who was 89, had been declining for six months. Although coronavirus had already hit New York, her death wasn't related. It wasn't considered a great concern at the time, and restrictions didn't start being put in place until the weekend after her funeral.

I feel fortunate we were able to have the gathering when we did. Two weeks later and it wouldn't have been possible. And although coronavirus was already circulating, I haven't heard that any participants have come down with it.

I just barely made it back to Panama on March 18, three days before all international flights were cancelled. I have no idea when I'll be able to see the rest of my family again.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

My last board game meet-up. It was March 14.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:47 AM

I don't keep a diary/journal and smoke way too much to have a short-term memory. We used to go out to breweries and restaurants most Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. I miss it, but cannot even imagine going back to our old routine. I'm sitting here getting teary eyed just thinking about it.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:53 AM

February 2nd was the last for us we went to a Superbowl party. We ended up canceling my dad's 70th birthday party on March 14th and the annual St. Patties day party we go to was canceled as well though I think most of that was they just had their second kid in January.

ETA: I did go out to dinner with a client on March 13th but I'm not sure there were 10 people in the building.

Last edited by Oredigger77; 05-13-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 AM

I worked as an election judge on March 17. If that doesn't count, I went to an Aqua Zumba class on March 13. If that doesn't count, then it was a baby shower for my niece February 29.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

The weekend of February 29th - March 1st. A Flyball tournament in Lindsay, California. At the time knew of at least one case of community transmission of the novel coronavirus in the state, following the arrival at a military base in the region of evacuees from China. I brought a few cheap disposable facemasks from work and wore one most of the time, but I was the only attendee to do so.

In my motel room on the morning of departure I had the local news channel on, and I remember seeing footage of a stretcher brought out of a nursing home in WA - the first US death.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
My mother passed away on March 2 in New York, and we had the wake on March 8 and funeral/burial on March 9. After the burial, as is traditional in our family, we had a lunch for about 50 family and friends at one of her favorite restaurants.
We had a memorial for my mother (at her request) at her favorite restaurant in NYC in 2017. Just made me remember. It was several months after shiva, and really, I actually had a very good time. There was lots of food, and an open bar, all paid for from my mother's estate; exactly what she would have wanted. People got up and shared stories, and lots of people had traveled a ways to be there. Again, at my mother's request, my brother and I spent some time putting together lists of things to do in the city for free or cheap, and booked a floor on an hotel, so we got a group discount, first come, first served-- but many people knew others in the city, and had someone to stay with, so actually, we just assigned the last room a few weeks before the memorial.

My mother loved Manhattan; she had good years other places, but she wanted everyone to have a great time.

While it's very sad to lose someone after a long life, it's not necessarily tragic, when they die in a bed, with people around them (in my mother's case-- not TOO MANY-- she hated crowds ), and a morphine drip.[/hijack]
Old 05-13-2020, 11:32 AM

Doctors office. Can't remember the date. It was after my hospital stay.

I know the clinic is not really a social event, but I would not normally do anything else.

If that doesn't work, we hosted a Super bowl party.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:59 AM

Physical Therapy, March 2
Old 05-13-2020, 01:01 PM

I went to a dance club on Monday, March 9th. Probably about 60 people in a pretty small space. I remember thinking at the time that this 'ronavirus thing was getting serious and maybe this wasn't such a good idea. But it still seemed like an abstract threat at that point. In the next few days everything changed.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:10 PM

I had to go to the doctors office a few weeks ago, it was a bit nerve racking. The doctor calmed my fears by mentioning that they only had one person with Covid come in the previous day....
Old 05-13-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

My son and I went to the San Jose Sharks hockey game on March 7. The authorities had already warned against large gatherings. Perhaps as a result, the crowds was smaller than normal. A lot of people said the game should have been canceled, so within days the county enacted a ban on gatherings like that.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:26 PM

If we're counting medical appointments, I had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I stated ahead of time that if it didn't look like they were taking proper precautions at their office, that I'd back out and reschedule. However, they had a team in the lobby making sure that there were only a couple of people at a time in the waiting room, and there were only four widely separated chairs in a waiting room that used to hold fifteen or so. No magazines or other public-handled items were in evidence. They wiped down insurance cards, pens etc. with alcohol, and, I am sure, the mammography machine. I felt reassured and went ahead with my appointment.

It was weird seeing and talking to people other than a grocery cashier.

Before the lockdown, the last thing we did was to go to a superb Thai restaurant, around March 10 or so. Man, I miss restaurants.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:30 PM

I was in a small meeting on March 16th.

Las time I attended a large gathering of any kind was in January when I went to a local pub to watch the college football championship. I went out to some smaller meet-ups and that sort of thing until late February or early March.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Beginning of March was highly unusual for me. Heart surgery on March 4, then we flew to San Diego for a business conference (about 80 attendees) on March 7, returning home on the 10th.

I was still out for recovery from surgery when the state went to lockdown.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:03 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
While it's very sad to lose someone after a long life, it's not necessarily tragic, when they die in a bed, with people around them (in my mother's case-- not TOO MANY-- she hated crowds ), and a morphine drip.[/hijack]
My mother had a hard time her last few months, but she passed away in her sleep in her own bed in the house she had been born in, which is better than most people get. (We had a full time aide, who found her asleep and breathing at 2 AM, but cold when she checked again at 4:30 AM.) I had seen her last on January 2.

Last edited by Colibri; 05-13-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:10 PM

A church gathering in March or February. I can't even recall when.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:53 PM

I went to the movies to see Arrival on March 11. Very strange walking home afterward with so few people on the street.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:45 PM

I was at a martial arts seminar the weekend of March 7/8. Stayed in an AirBnB place with most of the senior instructors and a few others, about 8 people total, and then about 40 or so at the seminar itself. We're not a hugging and kissing type group, but we did share a kitchen, meals, and bathrooms.

And the Thursday after I got home, I had a scare that I might have been exposed to the virus before that event, so I had to warn them all. Turned out to be a false alarm, but those two days where I thought I might have exposed all my friends really sucked.

By that point, I was working at home, so I wasn't worried about spreading anything any further, but that scare was a wake up about how quickly you could go from "Everything's fine!" to "I might have killed my friends".

One of those friends is in recovery from a bad cancer, so killing him was actually a real possibility.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:05 PM

We have a group of eight families in my neighborhood that is pretty much joined at the hip. Our kids call each other cousins, we normally get together about once a week, we go on vacations together, etc. My last social event was a gathering of about four of those families at one of their houses. We had about 15 people all together, including kids, on March 14th. We were aware of the coming shut downs and we were all careful to wash our hands when we came in and we even tried to stay distanced from each other while we were just sitting around (not they kids - they were in their normal huddle). I haven't seen any of them in person since. We have done a weekly zoom cocktail hour. That actually hasn't worked out too badly, since we can all seem to muster sitting at our kitchen tables for a couple hours in our pajamas once a week. It'll be nice to get back to our normal get togethers, though, when we've made it through this.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
My last board game meet-up. It was March 14.
Me too (not the same gathering). My game group met once a week and had a monthly game day. Our last game day was the 14th. Technically groups of less than 10 could still meet the next game night, but our host location cancelled thier other events (even small ones) and wanted to be consistent.

Brian
Old 05-14-2020, 09:48 AM

March 7th we held our last show (pro wrestling) in Stroudsburg PA. They had 1 case there already and we all felt this was probably the last for awhile. Things got weird the very next week.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
When and what was the last social function you attended (defined as an organized gathering of more than 10 people who don't ordinarily reside together or near each other)?
I was at work, as usual, on March 12.

That probably isn't what you meant, but:

Organized gathering? Check.
More than 10 people? Check.
Don't ordinarily reside together or live near each other? Check.

Assuming that doesn't qualify, I was at a Chinese new year party at a friend's home, I guess that would have been January 25. There were probably more than 10 people there, but I can't say for sure. But fuck that, it was a social function either way, the number is bullshit.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:01 PM

Dinner and a movie on Saturday, March 14. The restaurant was slightly less busy than one would expect. Monday the 16th was my last day at the office; the Bay Area went into total shutdown that day. Since then I've been indoors - not counting grocery runs - with 1 or 2 other people (plus my wife) on a half-dozen occasions.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Halloween party. Might have been the one the year before last, though. Lock down is a kind of theoretical thing, for me.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

April 23rd. My 2 yr-old great nephew's funeral.

StG
Old 05-14-2020, 01:25 PM

Your last social function?

Last as in most recent or last ever?
Old 05-14-2020, 05:04 PM

Early March retirement party with several people yucking it up about the stupidity of distancing and grabbing other people and hugging them. I left as soon as it wasn't rude to do so; it was early in COVID and there weren't yet orders from the governor.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:19 PM

Office party/potluck at my boss's house, mid-January.