Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2020, 06:19 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20

Which one is paradise for you, which one is hell, and where do you think you live?


Imagine a paradise where no one is ever laughing honestly, then imagine a hell where everyone is always laughing honestly.
Does it matter which has been described as paradise or hell?
or rephrased:which one is really paradise, and which one is really hell, according to your judgement?
or rephrased:which one do you prefer?

and after you made your choice the question for debate is, is your choice different than the world you live in and why, according to your judgement again (please be limited in the size of your responses)?
  #2  
Old 05-13-2020, 06:46 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
In case you are wondering, for me the answer is paradise is where everyone is laughing honestly, isn't it for you?
  #3  
Old 05-13-2020, 06:55 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 42,759
I'm trying to understand what you mean. Is this a supernatural setting, and in hell, 24/7 people are eternally guffawing, with no break, because everything is hilarious? And in the other setting, things are gong on, but laughter just isn't one of them?

Or are you saying that in the hell setting, there's no social laughter, and people are straight-faced unless something tickles their fancy, whereas in the other setting, there's no laughter at funny things, only social laughter?

Like, help me understand what choice I'm making.
  #4  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:07 AM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 21,219
Clarification: Is everyone laughing with you or at you?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #5  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:08 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
1)imagine a Paradise , any way you want to but, where no one is ever laughing honestly.
2)imagine a Hell, any way you want to but, where everyone is always laughing honestly.
I need you boys and girls to use your imagination, I can't be telling you how to imagine, this is up to you.
3)After you imagine, where you do think you live in and why?
4)Because for me, paradise is where everyone is always laughing honestly (unless some of you can imagine something else), and then we can discuss the various problems about the world you live in, in the order of importance of your choice.
5)So any of you who really want to debate, I'm listening.
  #6  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:26 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Also in case you think the below , below my reply

"it is not fun to have to read one person's opinion, which is that only one way of thinking about a subject is correct, when everyone knows humans are variable."
Start from:
Everyone knows humans are variable.
Because of this, on a subject, many ways of thinking about it are correct.
If all ways of thinking about a subject were correct, there would be no reason to think about a subject.
So some ways are correct, some are not, and people will have to judge.
How do humans, judge? In the end in a fun way, because if in the end it isn't fun, why are they spending all this time and effort judging?
?
  #7  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:32 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,989
Hello, Alex. Welcome to the Straight Dope.

I see that you've followed previous moderator instructions and are attempting to post narrower topics of discussion, but I'm not sure how much traction you're going to get with this one. Can you try framing the topic of your debate in a single, concise sentence? For example:

"Resolved: laughter is the best medicine."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
I need you boys and girls to use your imagination, I can't be telling you how to imagine, this is up to you.
This is not going to work here. You have to put in the work to frame the debate in a meaningful and approachable way before you expect people to engage with you. The fact that posters are taking time to ask you for clarification is a good sign - it means that you're being given an opportunity to refine your thought process. Condescending to us isn't going to get you anywhere, though.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 05-13-2020 at 07:33 AM.
  #8  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:34 AM
xenophon41's Avatar
xenophon41 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Somewhere up country.
Posts: 5,118
The problem is not a lack of imagination among your actual and potential respondents, it's your inexact or undefined terms and lack of explication, AlexPontik.

LHoD shows the language problem with the phrase "laughing honestly". I think you mean "a [ heaven or hell ] where, when persons laugh they are laughing [ genuinely or for effect without feeling actual amusement ]. But you posed the question, you should explain what you mean by honest laughter. He also highlights the language problem with the phrase "always laughing". You might mean "when people laugh it is always [ "honestly" or "dishonestly" ] (however you're defining honest/dishonest in this context). LHoD wonders if you mean "laughing continuously without pause".

If you want folks to entertain your query, it's quite helpful to avoid equivocal language in how you pose it.


For myself, I'd say any reality that excludes the middle we all actually live in -which includes honest amusement, wry appreciation, mordant consideration, formulaic social niceties, dad jokes and all the variously earnest, disingenuous and vaguely conscious forms of human interaction- sounds pretty hellish to me.
  #9  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:49 AM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 21,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
1)imagine a Paradise , any way you want to but, where no one is ever laughing honestly.
2)imagine a Hell, any way you want to but, where everyone is always laughing honestly.
I need you boys and girls to use your imagination, I can't be telling you how to imagine, this is up to you.
3)After you imagine, where you do think you live in and why?
4)Because for me, paradise is where everyone is always laughing honestly (unless some of you can imagine something else), and then we can discuss the various problems about the world you live in, in the order of importance of your choice.
5)So any of you who really want to debate, I'm listening.
Imagine, if you will, a hell with all the classic bells and whistles: fire, ice, torture, pain, horrors that defy imagination, for eternity. Now imagine laughter amidst. Do you feel better or worse about the situation you find yourself in?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #10  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:51 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Gentlemen,

I mean nothing more and nothing less, than the words I wrote down.
What this means to you, it is up to you.
The question is as exact, as it should be, and no more and no less.
What you think and write back is up to you
(also please try to understand, I am not trying to offend you in any way, if this is simply a bad discussion, just ignore it, in the end, nothing comes out from a bad discussion)

Quote:
For myself, I'd say any reality that excludes the middle we all actually live in -which includes honest amusement, wry appreciation, mordant consideration, formulaic social niceties, dad jokes and all the variously earnest, disingenuous and vaguely conscious forms of human interaction- sounds pretty hellish to me.
In short a reality that is fun, you can start writing more and more words after that, there is a single word in language that can sum up what you want.
You want to have fun.
But because fun is what you do in life, it will be not a given in life, you will have to work for it, for whatever en devour you set your mind on.
(if fun was a given in life, what exactly do you all here think you would have to do in life?)
And, I now shocking, you can have fun and be honest, or you can have fun and be dishonest.
And, even more shocking, the ones who have fun and be dishonest, are doing this because this way it is easier for them to have fun than doing it honestly.
And, the greatest shock of all, society is getting taken on a ride throughout the entire human history, because "dishonest fun humans" get to positions of influence in society. How? You guessed it! By having dishonest fun.
  #11  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:54 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Anything you can all imagine here, is either honest fun (regardless right or wrong) or dishonest fun (regardless right or wrong, again) , or does any of you think they do something other than this?
  #12  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:56 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 42,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
1)imagine a Paradise , any way you want to but, where no one is ever laughing honestly.
2)imagine a Hell, any way you want to but, where everyone is always laughing honestly.
I need you boys and girls to use your imagination, I can't be telling you how to imagine, this is up to you.
Come on, dude. Your first two sentences are literally telling us how to imagine. It's a cop-out to say you need us to use your imagination. I genuinely can't tell what the fuck you're trying to discuss. And usually I can tell, so I think the communication failure is on your part.

But I'll take you as you say. Bullshit that it's paradise to be laughing honestly at all times. YOU WOULD GET HUNGRY, because you can't eat while laughing honestly. You would go mad from lack of sleep. Your abdominal muscles would be in agony after the first hour, and ten thousand hours later, no matter how honest the laughter, you'd also be begging for the sweet release of oblivion.

Neither of your scenarios is a paradise, but after a day of your "always laughing" horror, yeah, I'd do just about anything to transfer over to an existence with no honest laughter. And so would you.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 05-13-2020 at 07:56 AM.
  #13  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:02 AM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 21,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik
Anything you can all imagine here, is either honest fun (regardless right or wrong) or dishonest fun (regardless right or wrong, again) , or does any of you think they do something other than this?
Define:
1) Honest fun
2) Dishonest fun

If a sociopath is having fun at someone's expense, is he having honest or dishonest fun?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #14  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:16 AM
xenophon41's Avatar
xenophon41 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Somewhere up country.
Posts: 5,118
Honestly, good luck in your future endeavors, AlexPontik. I'm'a bow out of the thread.

You might be trying to have a discussion about human consciousness, free will or machine intelligence. Damned if I know. So far the only real intent I'm discerning is a need to Socratically baby-step us all toward some unique insight. Fortunately for your thread, there are those willing to put in more work to figure it out. And kinder in their response to your unprompted tutelage.

Something you may find quite helpful in your continuing efforts to communicate your thinking would be one of the widely available online English composition & grammar courses. The syntax and grammar of whatever language in which you communicate are the tools you use not only to impart, but also to construct your reasoning. If others aren't picking up the wisdom you believe you're laying down, it may be because they can't recognize it.
  #15  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:29 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Define:
1) Honest fun
2) Dishonest fun

If a sociopath is having fun at someone's expense, is he having honest or dishonest fun?
From the individual's point of view, one knows if the fun he/she has is honest or dishonest.
Because when one doesn't know if he/she is honest , then one has problems (I don't think I need to argue more here, but feel free to comment, if more clarifications are needed)
From a third person's point of you, people would judge the individual, and decide, on their own, whether that individual is honest, or not.
What will happen after that in specific, I don't know.
But at a certain point, if the individual's actions affect other people negatively, then they will find out.
When that happens, I don't know either, but it follows logically that this will happen.
Why? Because in the end if people didn't find what affected them negatively, then it didn't affect them negative, did it? (the question is should the argument go somewhere else and I am wrong?)

In the example you mention regarding the sociopath.
I'll use the definition google provided:
Quote:
Sociopath: a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior.
From the sociopath's point of view, he/she is having honest fun. When he/she is not having honest fun, even the sociopath knows, because when the sociopath doesn't know, the sociopath has problems.
Usually sociopaths are considered skilled at being sociopaths, so I would argue that they know when they lie, they just don't care.

From a third person's point of view, he/she is a sociopath, and nothing else.
My point of view is also that, namely that a sociopath, is...well...a sociopath.
  #16  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:36 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post

But I'll take you as you say. Bullshit that it's paradise to be laughing honestly at all times. YOU WOULD GET HUNGRY, because you can't eat while laughing honestly. You would go mad from lack of sleep. Your abdominal muscles would be in agony after the first hour, and ten thousand hours later, no matter how honest the laughter, you'd also be begging for the sweet release of oblivion.
Paradise is where everyone is laughing honestly at all times, is not the same as
Paradise is where everyone is always laughing honestly.

Where everyone is always laughing honestly, when one is laughing, one is always honest.
Where everyone is laughing honestly at all times, there is no time when someone isn't laughing.
  #17  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Words have meaning gentlemen...
I have no problem answering to your comments, but your will need to ask me, after you think.
  #18  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:51 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
The words Think,Feel,Experience above, by definition, provide answers to the following questions:
1) Think:if I calm down emotion, what is the conclusion I reach?
2) Feel: what emotions come to me?
3) Experience: if I look from the viewpoint, within everything ,it is me, and it is the rest , what is the connection I have with the rest in time?
  #19  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:53 AM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
feel and experience will come in handy later in the conversation, so keep their definitions in mind as well.

Last edited by AlexPontik; 05-13-2020 at 08:54 AM.
  #20  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:53 AM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 21,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
From the individual's point of view, one knows if the fun he/she has is honest or dishonest.
Because when one doesn't know if he/she is honest , then one has problems (I don't think I need to argue more here, but feel free to comment, if more clarifications are needed)
From a third person's point of you, people would judge the individual, and decide, on their own, whether that individual is honest, or not.
What will happen after that in specific, I don't know.
But at a certain point, if the individual's actions affect other people negatively, then they will find out.
When that happens, I don't know either, but it follows logically that this will happen.
Why? Because in the end if people didn't find what affected them negatively, then it didn't affect them negative, did it? (the question is should the argument go somewhere else and I am wrong?)

In the example you mention regarding the sociopath.
I'll use the definition google provided:

From the sociopath's point of view, he/she is having honest fun. When he/she is not having honest fun, even the sociopath knows, because when the sociopath doesn't know, the sociopath has problems.
Usually sociopaths are considered skilled at being sociopaths, so I would argue that they know when they lie, they just don't care.

From a third person's point of view, he/she is a sociopath, and nothing else.
My point of view is also that, namely that a sociopath, is...well...a sociopath.
Sounds like what you're saying is that one person's hell is another person's heaven.

Obvious statement is obvious.

What shall we discuss next?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #21  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:57 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 42,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
Paradise is where everyone is laughing honestly at all times, is not the same as
Paradise is where everyone is always laughing honestly.

Where everyone is always laughing honestly, when one is laughing, one is always honest.
Where everyone is laughing honestly at all times, there is no time when someone isn't laughing.
Okay, see, that's the clarification I was asking for. You're not using adverbs correctly: "always" and "honestly" both modify "laughing," the way you wrote it, leading to the interpretation I had. That's why I asked if it were supernatural. You need to rephrase your question if you want to ask whether I'd prefer to be around people whose laughter is always honest laughter when it comes.

And even then, your question has an undefined premise: what is "dishonest laughter"? Is it laughter that intends to deceive the listener? Are you familiar with the research on social laughter, and how does this research inform your question?
  #22  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 24,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
Words have meaning gentlemen...
Well, at least you understand the problem people have with your posts.
  #23  
Old 05-13-2020, 09:00 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Okay, see, that's the clarification I was asking for. You're not using adverbs correctly: "always" and "honestly" both modify "laughing," the way you wrote it, leading to the interpretation I had. That's why I asked if it were supernatural. You need to rephrase your question if you want to ask whether I'd prefer to be around people whose laughter is always honest laughter when it comes.

And even then, your question has an undefined premise: what is "dishonest laughter"? Is it laughter that intends to deceive the listener? Are you familiar with the research on social laughter, and how does this research inform your question?
Missing your classroom, are you?
  #24  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:05 AM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 33,369
Time goes slowly, but carries on
And now the best years have come and gone
You took me by surprise
I didn't realize that you were laughing

If you look at "laughing" long enough you become convinced that it should be pronounced "logging", and where does that leave us?
  #25  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:16 AM
Shodan is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,870
Why would people be laughing honestly in hell? Why wouldn't they be laughing honestly in Paradise?

Regards,
Shodan
  #26  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:24 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
Gentlemen,

I mean nothing more and nothing less, than the words I wrote down.
What this means to you, it is up to you.
The question is as exact, as it should be, and no more and no less.
What you think and write back is up to you
(also please try to understand, I am not trying to offend you in any way, if this is simply a bad discussion, just ignore it, in the end, nothing comes out from a bad discussion)


In short a reality that is fun, you can start writing more and more words after that, there is a single word in language that can sum up what you want.
You want to have fun.
But because fun is what you do in life, it will be not a given in life, you will have to work for it, for whatever en devour you set your mind on.
(if fun was a given in life, what exactly do you all here think you would have to do in life?)
And, I now shocking, you can have fun and be honest, or you can have fun and be dishonest.
And, even more shocking, the ones who have fun and be dishonest, are doing this because this way it is easier for them to have fun than doing it honestly.
And, the greatest shock of all, society is getting taken on a ride throughout the entire human history, because "dishonest fun humans" get to positions of influence in society. How? You guessed it! By having dishonest fun.
So which Perv Level is this?
  #27  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:49 AM
xenophon41's Avatar
xenophon41 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Somewhere up country.
Posts: 5,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
Words have meaning gentlemen...
Well, at least you understand the problem people have with your posts.
Well, not entirely.

(I know I said I was bowing out, but some ideas are crucial to the GD forum, chiefly, the rules of the language and graphics we use in these discussions. So here's my $.02)

Words have definitions; they signify things or actions or aesthetics, etc. Words are placeholders for our consideration of reality. Their precise meanings are contained in how we use those words within a language.

So, in using words we impart meaning contextually, syntactically and semiotically.

Context - If I type "fun" in the proposition for a debate topic, I might be addressing the formality or whimsy of the topic itself, I might otherwise be dealing with "fun" as a concept for consideration or I might be merely promoting the participation of others. If I use it while listing my own reasons for participating in a thread, I'm denoting my relative enjoyment of the argument.

(Example: Reading the OP is not fun. Responding is fun, but rather empty. Cooperation from the OP in establishing the what-the-fucks and the who-did-whats might make the thread just a little bit funner.)

Syntax - If I use "fun" as a noun, I'm talking about an enjoyable state of being that can be utilized, influenced and altered. If I use the adjectival definition to modify a different noun, however, I'm universalizing and generalizing that state of being into a quality I expect that other thing to generate in the perceptions of others when they interact with it.

But if I offer that word up in a thesis as a stand in for an ideal I've conceptualized as a fundamental motivator for human behavior, I'm using it semiotically: it stimulates a specific set of ideas and emotions for me because I've attached them to that word. In order to impart that semiotic meaning to readers or listeners, I need to lead those people along the process through which I've derived or assigned the meaning.

Alex: that means that, for us to understand what you mean by "fun" you've got to construct that set of ideas and emotions in a way we can recognize. We're glad to follow along, but you must give us a path. That will require iterative dialogue (a back and forth Question and Response attempt to establish a shared understanding) between you and interlocutors (your participants in the thread), not definitions or repetitions.

Otherwise, your respondents will continue having their own fun at cross purposes to whatever-the-fun your intent here is.
  #28  
Old 05-13-2020, 11:03 AM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 21,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Alex: that means that, for us to understand what you mean by "fun" you've got to construct that set of ideas and emotions in a way we can recognize. We're glad to follow along, but you must give us a path. That will require iterative dialogue (a back and forth Question and Response attempt to establish a shared understanding) between you and interlocutors (your participants in the thread), not definitions or repetitions.
Perhaps he means for us to GLEAN what afflicts him...
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #29  
Old 05-13-2020, 11:13 AM
BeepKillBeep is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,064
AlexPontik. As others have said, there might be an interesting philosophical debate here, but the wrapper makes it unclear. A significant issue is the use of words in a way that is atypical to their usual context. As an example, suppose I were to ask "What physical parameters that define the human body make it easier to play the piano?" All of those words have a meaning, but the use of "physical parameters that define the human body" here is atypical for the context and obfuscate the intent, and in particular the use of the word parameters. If I ask the question as "What physical characteristics make it easier to play the piano?" suddenly it becomes crystal clear.

The other issue is the lack of conciseness. As Johnny Bravo kindly pointed out, try to boil things down to one direct question with no use of internal jargon.

For example, I think the debate is: If paradise requires a person to be happy by compulsion can it still be considered paradise (the gilded cage problem)? But honestly, I'm perhaps only about 10% sure that this is right.

I think having these kind of deep philosophical discussions can be interesting, and you'll find plenty of participants for such here on the SDMB, but take a step back and try to improve the presentation.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 05-13-2020 at 11:15 AM.
  #30  
Old 05-13-2020, 12:33 PM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 21,218
One option for the world where nobody is laughing honestly is that nobody is laughing at all. That in turn could be because everyone is miserable, obviously, but could also be because we're all in a state of awestruck serenity or sometihing.

I'm a solemn person overall and wouldn't necessarily rule out the no-one's-laughing world but I'd sure want to know details first. I don't want to end up in a quiet room where people are intently whispering "don't make waves, don't make waves", ya know?

As for the world in which I currently live, most people laugh when something hits them as funny, and that often has to do with tensions and surprise and juxtaposition; some of the humor, and the laughter, is mocking and cruel; some is desperate and maniacal, or nervous and hollow, but only the forced laughter where someone is laughing for effect or because it is expected of them would I characterize as "dishonest". Then there's the laughter of joy and delight; that exists in my world as well.

Umm, what was the question again?
  #31  
Old 05-13-2020, 12:56 PM
D'Anconia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
Gentlemen,

I mean nothing more and nothing less, than the words I wrote down.
So you're quoting Humpty Dumpty as a reference in Great Debates?

That's not how this board works.
  #32  
Old 05-13-2020, 01:11 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boonies??
Posts: 23,351
I'm not a gentleman.

I know the answers to all your queries. Too bad I can't reveal them. Sorry, I'm just one of the 'wimmins'

Thanks so much.

Us girls just wanna have fun!
__________________
Bad, bad, bad!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-13-2020 at 01:15 PM.
  #33  
Old 05-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Why would people be laughing honestly in hell? Why wouldn't they be laughing honestly in Paradise?
In Hell you get Carlin, Pryor, Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg... in Paradise it's nothing but angels telling knock-knock jokes.
  #34  
Old 05-13-2020, 04:04 PM
xenophon41's Avatar
xenophon41 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Somewhere up country.
Posts: 5,118
"Knock knock"
Who's there?
"Orange!"
Heh. Orange wh--
"FRIVOLITY'S FOR SINNERS! YOU GO TO HELL!"
  #35  
Old 05-13-2020, 04:13 PM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,989
"Would you like to hear a joke!?"
"...hello, Zerachiel. Sure."
"Knock knock."
"Who's there?"
"It's me, Zerachiel!"
  #36  
Old 05-13-2020, 04:21 PM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 27,989
OK, I'll play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
1)imagine a Paradise , any way you want to but, where no one is ever laughing honestly.
In my imagined paradise, everyone has a sense of humor, and honest laughter comes easily.

Therefore, you've posed a paradox. If there were an answer, it wouldn't be a paradox.
  #37  
Old 05-13-2020, 04:45 PM
TreacherousCretin's Avatar
TreacherousCretin is offline
Horrified Onlooker
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 5,923
This thread reminds me of my first joint.
  #38  
Old 05-13-2020, 05:46 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 5,060
Gentlemen, I want to play a game.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #39  
Old 05-13-2020, 05:59 PM
Wesley Clark's Avatar
Wesley Clark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
Imagine a paradise where no one is ever laughing honestly, then imagine a hell where everyone is always laughing honestly.
Does it matter which has been described as paradise or hell?
or rephrased:which one is really paradise, and which one is really hell, according to your judgement?
or rephrased:which one do you prefer?

and after you made your choice the question for debate is, is your choice different than the world you live in and why, according to your judgement again (please be limited in the size of your responses)?
Theres at least 2 factors in our emotional well being.

1. External circumstances
2. Neurology

Technically you can put someone in hell and if you inject them with enough of the right drugs (heroin and MDMA) they'll feel great. And if you put someone in heaven but you increase their CO2 levels until they have a severe panic attack they'll hate it.

True paradise would have both circumstances and neurology primed for paradise.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #40  
Old 05-13-2020, 06:02 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Gentlemen, I want to play a game.
Can't even shout.
Can't even cry.
The Gentlemen are coming by.
  #41  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:33 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 64,003
I can fill in the other aspects of heaven and hell as long as I keep the "heaven = dishonest laughter" and "hell = honest laughter"? I'll play along.

I imagine a hell where people laugh honestly while they are being flayed alive and ghost pepper sauce is poured into the wounds, and a heaven where people laugh dishonestly while their every desire is answered.

Now explain to me again why you would prefer hell over heaven, AlexPontik.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 05-13-2020 at 07:35 PM.
  #42  
Old 05-14-2020, 12:12 PM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
This thread reminds me of my first joint.
Thin and seedy?
  #43  
Old 05-14-2020, 12:50 PM
AlexPontik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Let me first apologize, if this feels up to now feels like a waste of your time.
I tried to write below what I mean the following way, which may be closer to your perspective, view, experience of life.
I think I can write the following about you, being aware I have never met you, and also being aware of the fact that I don’t have any supernatural powers, without me being untrue, dishonest, unjust to you. But, you will need to judge this in the end yourself, I think.
Also, I think I need to warn you from the beginning, be careful , the below argument may seem “child-ish” to you while you are reading it, it still seems childish to me also now that I have read it again and again , but am I being untrue, dishonest, unjust to you, and keep wasting your time?
Because, this isn’t what I am looking for.
So, here it goes.
In your life you have to make choices, decisions, judgments before you act. These range from those which are instinctual, up to those which are clearly within your control.
How you make these choices, decisions, judgments I don’t know, I know in the end you want to have a good life, good time, fun.
What is fun for you in life at any given time, you don’t know. You will need to experience something first, and then judge if it is fun for you, in your life.
Your emotions in life, guide you to have fun, but they don’t guarantee in any way that you will have fun.
You will need in some way, to use your judgement to guide your emotions, to actually have fun.
Regarding how in the end this happens, I can only write the following.
You need patience in life in order to have fun. Why? You also need patience in life in order to find this out. Why? Because you find this out, in a funny way.
Sometimes it is more fun than you can handle at that moment in your life, sometimes it is less fun than you can handle at that moment in your life, but, when you are having a good time, it is just the right amount of fun.
And to find those times, it comes back to the beginning, you need patience in life in order to have fun, and if you pass quickly through this part of the email, you are not being patient.
When you are patient in your life, you are allowing your body to return to its natural state, condition, order, where you have freedom to choose in your life, what to do next. When you are not, you end up without freedom to choose in your life, and your body chooses for you.
Then, you need to be patient to decide among the choices you can think of.
Then, you need to be patient to judge among the decisions you have made.
If you were patient enough up to here, you can make a final judgement and proceed to act.
If you weren’t, it comes back to the beginning, you need patience in life in order to have fun.
How is this of any practical use, I think you will ask here?
Having written about you, I think enough up to here, now what I think I need to write is this.
Assume everyone in society is having fun at a certain moment in time. Let’s call all these moments in time, “the good times”.
Assume problems get out of hand in society at a certain moment in time. Let’s call all these moments in time, “the bad times“.
We generally want the “the good times”, and try to avoid “the bad times”, I think I need to write this down also, as however obvious it looks to me, I don’t how obvious it is to the rest of you.
So I think I need to write the following:
Let’s talk about the good times: assume everyone in society is having fun at a certain moment in time.
Are problems out of hand at that same moment in time. No. Why? Because everyone in society is hav-ing fun at that moment in time. If problems got out of hand at that same moment in time, someone would need to deal with the problems getting out of hand, and wouldn’t be having fun from that mo-ment, onward. Why? Because that someone would think problems are getting out of hand in the fu-ture, and everyone else in society is having fun in that moment. I think I need to write this down also, as however obvious it looks to me, I don’t know how obvious it is to the rest of you.
Let’s talk about the bad times: assume bad times may come in the future. Allow me to blame some-one else for now. Regarding you, Look using the following perspective. Look at everything , then no-tice, within everything, it is people, and it is the rest (rest = everything-people), and in the end ask “Did I forget anything I shouldn’t forget?”
1. It is in the end, people’s fault: People do things for one another during their life. The sim-plest way to describe interaction is “I do this for you, you do this for me”, and the results of it is what you see around you, which people make now or made in the past.
a. When interaction between people works: I do this for you, you do this for me.
b. When interaction between people fails: Either me or you don’t do their part.
c. What does that mean for you: I do this for you, you do this for me.
2. It is in the end, fate, it is an unexpected event: People can’t guess the side a coin they tossed in the air, ends up facing them. The simplest way to describe luck is “fate”, and the re-sults of it is what you see around you.
a. When fate works: Fate works, when it is up to the rest to decide if it will work (rest = everything – people). Why? Because for “the good times” fate simply works, and for “the bad times” fate simply doesn’t work as you wanted, it is an unexpected event.
b. When fate fails: Fate fails, when people decide when fate should work. Why? Be-cause fate works, when it is up to the rest to decide if it will work.
c. What does that mean for you: Fate works, when it is up to the rest to decide if it will work (rest = everything – people).
3. It is in the end, due to the amount of changes happening around: People can’t handle too many changes. The simplest way to describe “the amount of changes happening around” is “everyday life”.
a. When everyday life works: Life works, when life seems to work on the way, and up until the end. Why? Because for “the good times” life simply works, and for “the bad times” life simply doesn’t work as you wanted, it is an unexpected event.
b. When everyday life doesn’t work: Life doesn’t work, when life simply doesn’t work as you wanted, it is an unexpected event.
c. What does that mean for you: Life works, when life seems to work on the way, and up until the end. And in the end, you want to have fun, and on the way to the end you want to have fun. Will you have fun? You will find out next.
4. It is in the end, my fault. Since I asked you before to allow me to blame someone else, and I blamed the rest, let me also blame myself now, so that I have blamed everything, and I am not forgetting something: 1.I am no one, I have fun just like that, and end having fun just like that, cause mama in the end puts order. 2.What happens next for me, happens next, it doesn’t happen now . 3.Within everything, it is me, it is the rest, and when you have fun with the rest , then it is something else.
a. When I work: I work when I am having fun, because at that time I am having fun.
b. When I don’t work: I don’t work when I am tired, because at that time I am tired.
c. What does that mean for you:
i. To me, girls decide where words end, and actions fol-low. Why? Cause mama in the end puts order.
ii. To me, it is girls in the rest of nature throughout history that seem to decide who to chose in life; No one in the rest of nature seems to decide what girls chose, cause mama in the end puts order.
iii. To me, if anyone in the rest of nature decides what girls chose, girls should not choose that one, but should point patiently that one so the rest of society, sees openly that one. Cause mama in the end puts order. Why?
1. Because then, that one person’s family has to deal with that one person, even if that one person’s family has to do “what no one shouldn’t do” to the person. Why?
2. Because no ones may comes from nowhere , do to this person’s family, what “no one shouldn’t do” until they convert that person to, no one, and he/she behaves within limits, where it is fun for the rest of us. Why?
3. Because nothing in society can protect or prepare this person’s family, from no ones who may come from nowhere. It is only just this warning written down here, which can allow people to correct their behavior before it is too late. Too late for what? Too late to ask any more questions, because this time, it is time to act, so that we have a “good time” and not a “bad time” in our lives.
4. I think I need to write all these down also, as however obvious it looks to me, I don’t know how obvious it is to the rest of you. The rest of you seem to get offended easily, so let me offend you up to the point where is it safe for you to be offended. Why? Because after this point it is not safe for the rest of you to be offended, after this point “No ones deal with the ones who get offended, so that society is fun in the end”.
5. And if you are patient to read and think again what has been writ-ten here, you may think you found a different way than the one writ-ten down here. You Haven’t. With patience you will find this out your-self, without patience, it will find you whether you like it or not. Why? Because to have patience, one requires to have patience, and after that you can pretty much tell whatever you want to yourself. Remem-ber, if you don't have patience, consequences happen, and you can run from consequences, but you cannot hide. And, it seems to me, that this text sooner or later will have consequences to the rest of so-ciety, and there is nothing that I can do about it, but write it down.

In the above text, by definition the following words provide answers to the following questions in life:
1. Think: If I calm down from emotion, what conclusion do I reach?
2. Feel: which emotions come to me?
3. Experience: within everything, it is me, it is the rest (rest = everything-me). What is my connection with everything, this time?
4. Family: Who are the people closer to another person?

Kind regards,
Alex
  #44  
Old 05-14-2020, 02:10 PM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 21,218
Quote:
i. To me, girls decide where words end, and actions fol-low. Why? Cause mama in the end puts order.
ii. To me, it is girls in the rest of nature throughout history that seem to decide who to chose in life; No one in the rest of nature seems to decide what girls chose, cause mama in the end puts order.
iii. To me, if anyone in the rest of nature decides what girls chose, girls should not choose that one, but should point patiently that one so the rest of society, sees openly that one. Cause mama in the end puts order. Why?


I think this has something to do with gender.

I've been known to write things that pertain to gender.

I've been accused of writing rather dense passages about gender that folks don't understand.

Please accept this here pinball crown. I know when I'm defeated.
  #45  
Old 05-14-2020, 02:14 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 17,699
Dude,

Line breaks are your friend.

Truly.

Even if someone wanted to read everything you wrote in your last post, the fact that it's all one wall of text with no spaces at all separating dozens of lines make it exceedingly difficult to read.

Try putting in some spaces in between your paragraphs.

Like so.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-14-2020 at 02:18 PM.
  #46  
Old 05-14-2020, 03:32 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 64,003
More direct response to questions, less essay please.
  #47  
Old 05-14-2020, 03:57 PM
BeepKillBeep is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,064
So much for clear and concise. *shrug*
  #48  
Old 05-14-2020, 04:09 PM
Johanna's Avatar
Johanna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 13,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
en devour
En devour? I'll show you en devour.
  #49  
Old 05-14-2020, 04:10 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,858
I think maybe I have it figured out--he is asking which is Paradise to you--the world where everybody has fun, or the world where everybody wangs chung.
  #50  
Old 05-14-2020, 05:12 PM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 11,081
Alex, have you ever heard of the concept "Not even wrong?"
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017