Old 05-13-2020, 01:19 PM

Professional sports pet peeves

What things about individual professional sports are really off putting to you? Maybe so much so that you can't stand to watch that sport?

MLS- Was never that big of a soccer fan but since Minnesota has a nice new stadium and team I've been to my fair share of games and learned about the sport. But the flopping.. OMG! Make it stop. It's the most embarrassing stupid looking thing. Professional athletes faux writhing in pain and their miraculous healing powers. A mockery of the sport IMO.

NHL- My favorite spectator sport. But the fighting? I put up with it but find it an annoying and pointless stoppage to the action. Arguments that it's needed? Nah. NCAA hockey prohibits fighting and the game is just fine.

MLB- Unwritten rules. What a bunch of nonsense. If it's that important put it in the rulebook. If not, get over yourselves. You are a highly paid professional. If a batter admires his homerun or flips his bat and it hurts your feelings you need to suck it up buttercup. If they have a massive lead and want to swing at a 3-0 pitch so be it.

NBA- This one bugs me so much I find the sport unwatchable because of it. The way a game can flow smoothly for 47 minutes and build tension to the outcome only to have the last 30-60 seconds be played out over a half hour in 1.5 to 5 second increments is ridiculous. It just destroys any enjoyment of the game for me. So much so that I avoid basketball and only watch the last minute or so of each game of the finals. Otherwise forget it.

Any sport related pet peeves you have that drive you nuts?
Old 05-13-2020, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

The NFL - its flagrant and shameless appeal to Trump Bros, via patriotic displays paid for by the Armed Forces, and the fact that it takes itself So Fucking Seriously.

Any sport - the announcers acting as if the match they're covering that day is the most important matchup of the season, nay any season. A late-season game between two teams not in playoff contention is not a Battle For The Ages.

College football - the bowl system. My god, the bowl system. I challenge any sports fan to imagine how excited they'd be about a "bowl" game between professional teams. Imagine if, following the end of the NFL season, two 4-12 teams played in front of a half-empty stadium in Tucson for the Frito Lays Bowl. No network would even show it. But for college football, apparently it's a Huge Deal.

Golf - the announcers whispering. They're likely in a control booth, hundreds of yards away from any golfers who could hear them. They're just playing a part.

NASCAR - its continued insistence that they're racing "stock" cars. I assure you that the Ford Whatever you're driving bears as much relationship to the "Ford Whatever" that Dick Trickle is driving as my neighbor's Cessna does to an F-16.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
NHL- My favorite spectator sport. But the fighting? I put up with it but find it an annoying and pointless stoppage to the action. Arguments that it's needed? Nah. NCAA hockey prohibits fighting and the game is just fine.
https://www.hockeyfights.com/stats

Fighting, for the most part, has been in steady decline for decades. The last full season I looked at (2017-18) had the fewest fights, fewest multi-fight games, and fewest players who had fights. The days of the goon are over, and fights are relatively rare. If you wanted to completely eliminate fighting you'd need to referee differently otherwise in a physical game like hockey players would react even more violently, at least that's what the players say. A few fights tends to keep tempers from getting to the point where players would get seriously hurt.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I am under the impression that the only reason fighting is tolerated is, it is pretty much the only way to make sure a team doesn't target the other team's star players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
College football - the bowl system. My god, the bowl system. I challenge any sports fan to imagine how excited they'd be about a "bowl" game between professional teams. Imagine if, following the end of the NFL season, two 4-12 teams played in front of a half-empty stadium in Tucson for the Frito Lays Bowl. No network would even show it. But for college football, apparently it's a Huge Deal.
Because the NFL is supposed to be about football - about as many people would care about a meaningless postseason game as would care about the Pro Bowl or the second half of most preseason games. College football, on the other hand, can be just as much about the schools as it is the football; most schools consider it a reward to get into a bowl game (assuming the school doesn't lose money as a result), and the host city gets some bonus tourism out of it.

What is your opinion of the low-level postseason college basketball tournaments?

Quote:
NASCAR - its continued insistence that they're racing "stock" cars. I assure you that the Ford Whatever you're driving bears as much relationship to the "Ford Whatever" that Dick Trickle is driving as my neighbor's Cessna does to an F-16.
Who still says that the top levels are stock cars? The announcers certainly don't - every now and then, they even joke about it.

Last edited by That Don Guy; 05-13-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:24 PM

I agree with the OP about baseball. Baseball players are the most bafflingly over-sensitive players. You would never see NFL players complaining that an opponent celebrated a touchdown by doing an end zone dance, yet pitchers flip out because a batter celebrated a home run (Bautista's bat flip, or Harper admiring his HR.) If you don't want them celebrating, then don't throw the hittable pitch.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I agree with the OP about baseball. Baseball players are the most bafflingly over-sensitive players. You would never see NFL players complaining that an opponent celebrated a touchdown by doing an end zone dance, yet pitchers flip out because a batter celebrated a home run (Bautista's bat flip, or Harper admiring his HR.) If you don't want them celebrating, then don't throw the hittable pitch.
That reminds me. NFL: The celebrating after touchdowns, interceptions, first downs, and sacks (and probably a few other things I'm forgetting) Jesus, guys, well done, but let's just go on to the next play, okay?

MLB: You don't have to fill every minute with a gimmick, adverstisement, loud music, or trivia contest. A few quiet minutes admiring the green grass and blue skies at the ballpark is one of the reasons I'd like to go to.

Soccer: yeah, I don't know if I'd be a fan anyway, but the flops are disgusting.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:04 PM

I won't limit it to Pro sports -

Basketball - I have watched basketball for decades and for the life of me (ok, maybe it's just me, and maybe it's because of the quickness of the action?) I can't see 99% of what is called as a foul. It seems to be such an integral part of the game, but it is also mostly obscure (sorta like offsides in soccer). I once saw the final winning basket in the final game of a season championship denied because of an offensive foul called. Yeah, everybody was jumping up to get the ball and make the shot. But OK.

Football - After a play, the way the players seem to just mill around aimlessly for some period of time. Get up, breathe, and get in position for the huddle or the next play.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:30 AM

MLB - The stupid strike zone box they show on tv. Dump it. It looks dumb and when the ump calls a strike on a pitch that's ouside the box, why have it.
And get rid of stupid stats like Exit Velocity. It's a home run whether it "exits" at 153 mph or 84 mph.
VELOCITY is right. And the pitcher should be allowed to taunt the batter when he strikes him out.
" Yeah, idiot! I blazed 3 pitches right by you! SIT DOWN NOW!!"
(Points and screams at the batter.)
Old 05-14-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

Who still says that the top levels are stock cars?
The name of the sport: National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing
Old 05-14-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The name of the sport: National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing
But that's just the name of the organization, no one has even given lip service to the idea that the cars are stock in any way shape or form for decades. Since they introduced the Car of Tomorrow in 2007 all the cars have been built on a common chassis. They do pick a production car to pattern the graphics after, but I don't think anyone is under the illusion that the Toyota NASCAR entry is based on the Camry.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
If you don't want them celebrating, then don't throw the hittable pitch.
True, but the major problem with baseball is the batter stepping out of the box after every freaking pitch. How much shorter would games be if players weren't readjusting all of their equipment every 20 seconds?

NHL - Like many posters have pointed out, fighting is almost out of the game, heck there may even be more fights in baseball than in hockey. The problem hockey needs to fix is the stupid length of time it often takes to do a video review. Yes, I appreciate wanting to get calls right but if the delay takes more than 2 minutes, that is probably 1 minute too long. Unlike other problems with sports, this one does not have an easy fix.

NFL - The length of games is growing. It used to be that an NFL game was 3 hours and there was usually time for a recap at the end. Now games consistently go over by 15 minutes. Is this the result of video reviews or taking more commercial breaks? I don't know.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
The problem hockey needs to fix is the stupid length of time it often takes to do a video review. Yes, I appreciate wanting to get calls right but if the delay takes more than 2 minutes, that is probably 1 minute too long. Unlike other problems with sports, this one does not have an easy fix.
This is a problem in all sports, and it's the one thing about professional sports that most mystifies me. I don't understand how their reply offices are set up that they can 't make a decision in less than a minute. Pro sports leagues, surely, can afford enough HD screens and video control software that you can see every available angle right away and determine, pretty much instantly, if there is sufficient evidence to overturn the call.

I mean, watching AT HOME, 99% of the time you know within 30, 45 seconds of the replays starting whether or not it's clear that the call should be overturned.

My pet peeve with baseball is the fact they haven't change the way it's officiated in a century. Having just four umps, and not having computers call balls and strikes, is ridiculous.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-14-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
MLB: You don't have to fill every minute with a gimmick, adverstisement, loud music, or trivia contest. A few quiet minutes admiring the green grass and blue skies at the ballpark is one of the reasons I'd like to go to.
Hate to disappoint you, but as a parent who has brought young children to games, they really like those things. If you want baseball to appeal to future generations, those need to stay.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 05-14-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Hate to disappoint you, but as a parent who has brought young children to games, they really like those things. If you want baseball to appeal to future generations, those need to stay.
Yeah, I get it. My kids liked that stuff too. It's still a pet peeve of mine, though.

I'm old and enjoy moments of quiet reflection whenever possible.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The NFL - its flagrant and shameless appeal to Trump Bros, via patriotic displays paid for by the Armed Forces, and the fact that it takes itself So Fucking Seriously.
The flag waving and military worship is nauseating. The funny thing is that the NFL wants to attract an international audience.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:22 PM

Steph Curry of the NBA's Golden State Warriors: Keep your mouth guard INSIDE YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:31 PM

Good ones.

NFL- it seems like EVERY time there's an exciting play, its gets called back because of a holding call. Also can we get rid of the 2 minute warning? Finally, there is no reason for a commercial break after a kick off or a punt. I've been to NFL games and the players just stand around for 2-3 minutes. Get on with it!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
NFL- it seems like EVERY time there's an exciting play, its gets called back because of a holding call.
But if there is holding, it has to be penalized. Oftentimes the big run or kick return happens in the first place because there was a hold that enabled it.

Otherwise, this is giving the green-light to more and more unfair holding by the offense or kick return team.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:48 PM

Way too many TV timeouts and reviews in college FB. NHL playoff games that go to overtime don't have TV timeouts so that's nice especially when you are in OT 3 at 1 AM , I was at that game.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
True, but the major problem with baseball is the batter stepping out of the box after every freaking pitch. How much shorter would games be if players weren't readjusting all of their equipment every 20 seconds?
Oh, definitely. The batter shouldn't be allowed to leave the batter's box at all during an at-bat, and the pitcher shouldn't be allowed to step off the rubber once the ball is in his hand. I'd be for automatic balls and strikes to disincentivize that.

And also, the pitcher should be allowed to go ahead and pitch if the batter decides to make himself unprepared to bat.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:39 PM

MLB
Making asinine rule changes (instant walks, 3 batter minimum) that shave seconds off a game while keeping the insane long intervals between innings.
Managers that have to wear fucking pajama tops in the dugout. Dress like the players like you used to.
Lack of strategy in the modern game. It's all get on and hope for a homer. No more hit and run or squeeze plays.
It's not exit velocity, it's exit speed. Unless you show the whole vector.
All the fucking uniforms. Have one white home uni, one gray away uni, and be done with it.
Super duper patriotic 7th inning stretches plus patriotic holiday uniforms.

NFL
Bizarre rules about what is a catch
Moving the XP back. Keep it where it was.
Two point conversions. Dump them.
Making it even harder to execute the onside kick.
Kickoffs coming out to the 25, not 20.
Patriotic bullshit.

NHL
Too many teams.
Teams in the south.
Two teams in fucking LA.
Shootouts.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Not anything to do with the sports themselves, but I'll say stadium naming rights. Here's the way it should be: a city decides to build a stadium or arena, picks a name that has some relevance to the city, and that's the name until the building is torn down.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 05-14-2020, 07:46 PM

BobLibDem nailed it, except for

Making it even harder to execute the onside kick.

Shoeless, I'm with you on the stadium names.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Not anything to do with the sports themselves, but I'll say stadium naming rights. Here's the way it should be: a city decides to build a stadium or arena, picks a name that has some relevance to the city, and that's the name until the building is torn down.
In most cases, I'd say that the city shouldn't be building the stadium anyway. There's no reason for the public to take on such a burden for the benefit of a profit-making endeavour.

But, yeah, there shouldn't be re-naming, especially for money.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:13 PM

NFL: why, for the love of god, can't coaches stop players from committing "illegal block in the back" violation during at least 75% of kick returns?
Old 05-15-2020, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRhino View Post
The flag waving and military worship is nauseating. The funny thing is that the NFL wants to attract an international audience.
There are a lot of NFL fans in Canada, but our broadcasts for most regular-season NFL games don't include the color guard, the national anthem, the giant US flag, or the military flypast. Instead, we get commercials, promos for upcoming shows, and similar.

If the NFL is trying to attract an international audience, then it seems to me that this is a good way to do it.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:33 AM

Do you know the funny thing about NASCAR? they've never been full stock cars .... even in the "bring what ya drive-in" beginning because they were mostly if not all souped-up bootlegger/moonshiner cars

They didn't even have uniform standards for them until the mid-60s early 70s when Richard Childress brought in real engineers to build his cars and started to wipe the floor with the backyard mechanics .... then it was decided to standardize the cars so everyone had a fair shot ......
Old 05-15-2020, 01:51 AM

Quote:
But if there is holding, it has to be penalized. Oftentimes the big run or kick return happens in the first place because there was a hold that enabled it.

Otherwise, this is giving the green-light to more and more unfair holding by the offense or kick return team.
I 100% agree with you. But it still annoys the shit out of me maybe because there’s nothing that can be done about it.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:49 AM

Test Cricket. When you know the weather forecast is poor for the morning or afternoon then be prepared to play much longer or start much earlier. Use floodlights as required. Sure, people may have some difficulty in getting there if things start earlier or run later and they may miss some of the game but if they only attend when play is impossible, what's the difference?

Also, if these conditions are in place when you buy your ticket you'll be buying with that full knowledge in mind and can plan accordingly. Try and get the full number of overs in for each day, none of this "bad light" bollocks.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:24 AM

Build retractable roof stadiums for any sports that can be affected by the weather.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:46 AM

long ago NASCAR had a rule that the car in the race had to be on sale in local dealerships. I don't think that was really enforced anyway.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Build retractable roof stadiums for any sports that can be affected by the weather.
Never. That would turn me off from outdoor sports forever.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:37 AM

I am sick and fucking tired of hearing corny ass fans crying about the way an athlete behaves after they make a good play. And these critiques seem to be disproportionally focused on the way black people behave during moments of celebration. It's like everyone is trying to force their cultural expectations on the players instead of just letting people enjoy themselves and their accomplishments. Just because that's not how you would behave in that moment does not make the celebratory actions of others wrong.

When you get your slow, non-athletic ass out there and have a good moment then you can behave however you choose. In the meantime, shut the fuck up with all of the "excessive celebration" and "act like you've been there before" bullshit. Those guys just had a good moment in their lives and I don't understand why you must begrudge them a small moment of celebration.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
long ago NASCAR had a rule that the car in the race had to be on sale in local dealerships. I don't think that was really enforced anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR_Cup_Series
Quote:
NASCAR once enforced a homologation rule that at various times stated that at least 500 cars had to be produced, or as many as one car for every make's dealership in the nation had to be sold to the general public to allow it to be raced. Eventually, cars were made expressly for NASCAR competition, including the Ford Torino Talladega, which had a rounded nose, and the Dodge Charger Daytona and Plymouth Superbird which had a rear wing raised above roof level and a shark shaped nose-cap which enabled race speeds of exactly 200 mph. The Ford-based Mercury Spoiler powered by a Ford Boss 429 engine was timed at 199.6 mph. Beginning in 1971, NASCAR rewrote the rules to effectively force the Ford and Chrysler specialty cars out of competition by limiting them to 305ci (5.0L). The cars affected by this rule include the Ford Talladega, Mercury Spoiler II, Dodge Charger 500, Dodge Charger Daytona and the Plymouth Superbird. This rule was so effective in limiting performance that only one car that season ever attempted to run in this configuration.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
And also, the pitcher should be allowed to go ahead and pitch if the batter decides to make himself unprepared to bat.
I don't think there's a rule that he can't. If the batter is in the batter's box, tapping the plate, taking practice swings, then send a heater across the plate. That'll get his attention.

But I'm sure it's one of those unwritten rules again.

Like retaliatory hitting the star player -- when they should be beaning the pitcher! He's the one that struck your guy. Why hit the firt baseman? Stupid unwritten rules.

Quote:
That reminds me. NFL: The celebrating after touchdowns, interceptions, first downs, and sacks (and probably a few other things I'm forgetting) Jesus, guys, well done, but let's just go on to the next play, okay?
The organized celebrations are the stupid ones. Let's all pretend to pose for a selfie! Let's all flop around like fish! Woop! And the NFL doesn't just allow it, they encourage it.

Quote:
I assure you that the Ford Whatever you're driving bears as much relationship to the "Ford Whatever" that Dick Trickle is driving as my neighbor's Cessna does to an F-16.
If Dick Trickle is driving anything that would be world news, as he's been dead for quite some time. Might as well have said Cole trickle.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I don't think there's a rule that he can't. If the batter is in the batter's box, tapping the plate, taking practice swings, then send a heater across the plate. That'll get his attention.

But I'm sure it's one of those unwritten rules again.
It's an issue of enforcement. The rules don't clearly state what constitutes a legitimate reason to ask for time, and so it's up to the umpires, who of course must be consistent with each other and with precedent, to determine when it is or is not appropriate to let a batter call time. Once in awhile you will see a batter step out and have a strike called on him.

I do agree though that MLB should formally announce a tightening of standards. To be honest, I think the rulebook should be substantially overhauled again (it was reorganized just a few years ago to flow better.)

Quote:
The organized celebrations are the stupid ones. Let's all pretend to pose for a selfie! Let's all flop around like fish! Woop! And the NFL doesn't just allow it, they encourage it.
It should certainly be allowed. The game is not improved in any way by prohibiting such things.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Just to note that Dick Trickle (yes, I know, it was an awesome name) doesn't drive anything anymore. He ended his NASCAR career in 2002, and he died in 2013.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Never. That would turn me off from outdoor sports forever.
Having been to baseball games in the old King Dome and the "new" Mariner retractable roof stadium, I can enthusiastically support the new trend. Most days we're outside in the sun, and when it rains, the game isn't postponed and we still feel the breeze and smell the grass. If done right (I can't speak for the enclosed air conditioned ones) it doesn't lose any of the "outdoor" feel.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
NFL: why, for the love of god, can't coaches stop players from committing "illegal block in the back" violation during at least 75% of kick returns?
Remember that it's only illegal when caught. If you have a chance to block a defender from possibly having a chance of stopping your runner you are probably going to take the chance you wont get caught. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I suspect coaches know this and let the player assess the penalty risk and don't punish them too hard when caught. Sort of like a lineman taking an obvious penalty in order to protect his quarterback from a blindside hit. The possible penalty is better than the risk of not acting at all.

I agree the MLS flopping is probably the top laughable issue in professional sports that makes it hard for me to take those games seriously, along with the 0-0 ties.

2nd place goes to the NFL "patriotism" and fellating of the military. If they want to waive flags and lavish attention on heroes going forward how about giving it up for our doctors and nurses?
Old 05-15-2020, 11:54 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
2nd place goes to the NFL "patriotism" and fellating of the military. If they want to waive flags and lavish attention on heroes going forward how about giving it up for our doctors and nurses?
It's because the Department of Defense pays NFL teams (and other sports teams) to do so, as a recruitment tool; they've done so for decades, but this effort appears to have increased after 9/11.

Sources:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...85d_story.html
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...riotism-events
Old 05-15-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
What things about individual professional sports are really off putting to you? Maybe so much so that you can't stand to watch that sport?

MLS- Was never that big of a soccer fan but since Minnesota has a nice new stadium and team I've been to my fair share of games and learned about the sport. But the flopping.. OMG! Make it stop. It's the most embarrassing stupid looking thing. Professional athletes faux writhing in pain and their miraculous healing powers. A mockery of the sport IMO.
As a soccer fan, this is my biggest pet peeve too. I think that video review has slowed this somewhat, but there's a lot of inertia still built up. It may end up decreasing over time, we'll see. For things that aren't caught live I'd like to see retroactive cards/suspensions. There'd still be an incentive to dive in big games, but for a regular season it could matter.

Another thing that bothers be is the faux concern about pushing and whatnot during a stoppage of play. There's this idea that shoving an opponent is irredeemable and worthy of a suspension where a very dangerous tackle during the run of play is deemed normal. Sure, it's not in the course of a game, but competitors bumping and shoving each other should be expected.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Having been to baseball games in the old King Dome and the "new" Mariner retractable roof stadium, I can enthusiastically support the new trend. Most days we're outside in the sun, and when it rains, the game isn't postponed and we still feel the breeze and smell the grass. If done right (I can't speak for the enclosed air conditioned ones) it doesn't lose any of the "outdoor" feel.
I'm glad the Mariners seem to default to "open." I think the Brewers do too? The Blue Jays don't seem to, at least not in my limited experience: I've been to Rogers Centre twice and had the roof closed both times even though the weather outside was quite decent. I think I read somewhere that the Diamondbacks' roof is closed practically all the time. Seems kind of pointless to have a retractable if you don't use it.

If you can't tell, I'm very much in favor of stadiums that are open to the elements.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I mean to include even when the batter has stepped out of the batter's box completely, has es back turned, is messing with es shoes or gloves, etc. When someone is at bat, E should be at bat the whole time, and the pitcher should be able to throw regardless of whether the batter is "ready."
Old 05-15-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post

NHL
Too many teams.
Teams in the south.
Two teams in fucking LA.
Shootouts.
Why should NHL only have teams in cold weather areas? Basketball started up north (Mass) as did football (NJ) and probably baseball. Should those sports not have expanded to the south too? NHL teams got more players when players from behind the iron curtain as well as from Sweden and Finland.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
I'm glad the Mariners seem to default to "open." I think the Brewers do too? The Blue Jays don't seem to, at least not in my limited experience: I've been to Rogers Centre twice and had the roof closed both times even though the weather outside was quite decent. I think I read somewhere that the Diamondbacks' roof is closed practically all the time. Seems kind of pointless to have a retractable if you don't use it.

If you can't tell, I'm very much in favor of stadiums that are open to the elements.
Yesh, the D Backs are closed pretty much the whole season. I was there on an opening day in April and they were open. But, IIRC, even their postseason games played at night in pleasant weather always featured a closed roof.

Same with the Arizona Cardinals. Went to their January playoff game against the Eagles, closed roof.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
The Blue Jays don't seem to, at least not in my limited experience: I've been to Rogers Centre twice and had the roof closed both times even though the weather outside was quite decent.
As I recall, Rogers Centre and/or MLB has specific rules about when the Centre's roof can open or close. If memory serves, they are something like (and no guarantees that these are correct):

-- If a game begins with the roof closed, it will not be opened during the game, no matter what the weather is outside.

-- If a game begins with the roof open, it can be closed, if weather conditions develop that warrant its closing.

I'm sure that weather forecasts play into the equation somehow as well--the weather might be perfectly fine at the start of the game, but if it looks like a summer thunderstorm might descend upon Toronto in the next couple of hours (as can happen in the middle of summer), then they'll start the game with the roof closed.

Again, no guarantees that these are correct, and I'm reaching back to when I lived in Toronto and attended many Blue Jays games there. For what it's worth, I was last at a Jays game in Toronto about five years ago. It was a beautiful spring day, not a cloud in the sky, and the roof was open for the whole game. So they do open it, even if only from time to time.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
Remember that it's only illegal when caught. If you have a chance to block a defender from possibly having a chance of stopping your runner you are probably going to take the chance you wont get caught. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I suspect coaches know this and let the player assess the penalty risk and don't punish them too hard when caught. Sort of like a lineman taking an obvious penalty in order to protect his quarterback from a blindside hit. The possible penalty is better than the risk of not acting at all.

I agree the MLS flopping is probably the top laughable issue in professional sports that makes it hard for me to take those games seriously, along with the 0-0 ties.

Sorry, I have to disagree. It is illegal even if you are not caught. It is only punished if you are caught.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:29 AM

For some reason the former bb/hockey arena in Pittsburgh had a roof that opened. Roof broke down in 2001 and was never opened after that. It was built in 61 and torn down in 2011.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:47 PM

As a spectator (particularly to NHL games) it's the loud organ and rock music that bothers me (especially if you're near a speaker). You can't talk to your friends. Limit the music to intermissions, or breaks of at least two minutes. Why blast me with noise every time there's a 10-second pause in play? I want to enjoy the game - the way I did when I went with my father to games in the 60's. The fans provided their own noise.

Another thing I've seen done is when the home team is doing badly and the fans start booing, the organ will suddenly start up - trying to drown out the boos.

(and then there's the continual prompts to "make noise" or "start a wave".)

I'll stick to soccer, tennis, golf, etc, and other sports without added noise - just that provided by the fans..
Old 05-17-2020, 01:01 AM

People who boo their own teams. If you're only supporting your team when they win, then you're a jerk. I hate to do the "no REAL fan" bullshit, but yeah, you're not a real fan. You're just a bandwagoner.

Quote:
Yeah, I get it. My kids liked that stuff too. It's still a pet peeve of mine, though.

I'm old and enjoy moments of quiet reflection whenever possible.
No offense, but then why would you go to a ball game? Sports games are probably one the last places I'd go for "quiet reflection".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
For some reason the former bb/hockey arena in Pittsburgh had a roof that opened. Roof broke down in 2001 and was never opened after that. It was built in 61 and torn down in 2011.
The Civic Arena started out as a venue for the Civic Light Opera, that's why.

Eventually though it just got too expensive to open after awhile -- the operating costs, maitenance, repairs, etc.
So a lot of places that have stadiums with retractable roofs generally don't open and close them frequently, because they just can't afford it, I imagine. It's easier and cheaper to have one default position.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 05-17-2020 at 01:06 AM.