Old 05-15-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

How long do you personally think you could stay locked down?

Assume that the government is paying your necessary bills, personally and for any business you own; in addition, assume that you can WFH if your job supports it. Assume “typical” rules: no nonessential travel, stay within walking distance of your home for going outside, essential businesses only.

Do you think you could stay this way for months? How many? Does it depend on when you’re given an end date? What if your leaders refused to give you an end date, saying hey, we’re paying your bills, there’s nothing else you need, we’re staying closed until a vaccine is found?
Old 05-15-2020, 06:34 PM

My life hasn't changed much. My daughters don't spend the weekend anymore, we just go on socially distanced walks together and they can't come in the house, but other than that it really isn't very different. I never went anywhere I didn't have to then and now I have orders not to. I was doing fine and I'm still doing fine.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:34 PM

That’s an easy one. Even now I still have to go out on occasion for work. But if it was up to me I could stay home for years on end and be happy. As far as I can tell staying home has always been my preference. Apparently when I was 3 or 4 years old and the topic of a family vacation came up, I reportedly said, “I’ll go as long as we get to take the house with us.” Even now I find that the most stressful times in my life have been the week or two leading up to a vacation.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

There is nowhere to buy groceries within walking distance of my house other than a few gas station mini-marts, so ... not very long. If we're allowed to drive to a supermarket once a week, I guess I COULD do it indefinitely, but not happily, and by November I think I would be willing to vote for just about anybody who promised to introduce a bit more nuance.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:14 PM

I could and have stayed home indefinitely. It's the old agoraphobia rearing it's ugly head. I kinda prefer it.

Doctors/illnesses would be the main reason I'd have to leave. I can source everything else through my DIL.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-15-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:15 PM

I have a work-from-home job, so I could stay locked down indefinitely. But my girlfriend resides in another state, so I'd like to see her every now and then.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:26 PM

No amount of money or perks would be worth being away from people.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:29 PM

I'd miss being able to travel to see family, but otherwise I'd be able to do so indefinitely. It's not that much different than my usual way of life.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:34 PM

The hardest thing about lockdown is I can't get away from my kids. Being with a 4 year old and a 1 year old 24/7 is terrible and it will get worse in a week when school ends and the 30 min a day we get with someone else entertaining them goes away. Initially, school was annoying because it was one more thing we had to do, now its a moment when we can off load them. After a month without school we'll be praying for COVID.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:21 PM

Years. Working from home has been nice, as is the generally less-crowded conditions for essential business. I suspect the business I work for will go along with Google and Facebook in that they'll allow working from home until the end of the year at least, and I plan on taking them up on that offer.

A vacation eventually would be nice, but I can deal without that for a long while. There's reasonable nearby facilities for getting some outdoorsness.

If I knew it would be years, I'd probably look at upgrading some equipment at home; maybe making a proper home office, and upgrading my garage with certain equipment.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:27 PM

Presuming that we're talking about the kind of "lockdown" we've got now, in which driving to the grocery etc. occasionally is permissible: pretty much indefinitely, as long as I've got the cats.

There are currently four cats, and three of them are less than eight years old, so that should be quite a while; even presuming that nobody else imitates the current youngest cat, and just shows up meowing at my door.

It helps a great deal that in my case "home" is 80 acres.

-- in practice, I'm going to have to start selling at farmers' markets in about a month.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:33 PM

After just 3 months I've already cracked. I've started diving again, and visiting my parents. I do both of those things as safely as possible. I have a consistent dive buddy and we maintain social distance on the surface; no carpooling or going out on boats. When I visit my folks, I come around to the backyard and sit 10 feet away, not touching anything they're going to touch. I realize this still puts us all at greater risk than if we didn't do these things. But we all apparently suck at making sacrifices for the greater good.

I don't know how long I can last without seeing my other friends and family members, or hugging anyone besides my husband. It makes me sad to think of all the travel I won't be able to do, all the concerts and baseball games I won't be able to go to, and just the lack of coffee shops and bars and other places I could go to be alone in a crowd. I know so many people have it so much worse, and it's petty of me to complain. But I miss my old life something fierce.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:38 PM

Except for not being able to find everything I want at Kroger and having to go to greater lengths to sanitize my environment and having to go to greater lengths to obtain sanitizing agents...my life hasn't really changed much. I'm an employee of a supplier to an essential industry. I go to work everyday, same as before. If I was suddenly unemployed and had the problems I've read about other people having getting unemployment...my world would quickly turn to shit. If the virus suddenly goes crazy and everything shuts down I have enough food to last a couple months at bare subsistence level. If I get the virus, fuck it all.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Indefinitely.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

I could do it indefinitely. However, I would hate it. I already hate it.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:22 PM

I live alone and my only pets are tropical fish. I don't know how much longer I can take the complete isolation, honestly. Maybe another month.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:27 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Indefinitely. "Other people" is an over-rated concept.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:11 PM

I've already done this for months, except the part where the government pays the bills.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:12 PM

At this kind of lockdown where I can still go to the grocery and liquor store and hardware store and continue to work from home, pretty much indefinitely. My Wife and I already have a remote lifestyle. Two acres that backs up to national forest. We don't frequent bars or restaurants that often. Was maybe once or twice a month. So no great loss for us.

We have two neighbors down the road that we like, and have seen them twice since lock down. We get along great.

The dogs are getting more walks, since it's easier to do it in the middle of the day on 'lunch' break. We are interrupting their day long naps so it's good for them. Good for me too.

Had 2600 IM's on Slack from coworkers last week so I'm not a complete hermit.

The internet at home sucks for remoting into work, and won't improve anytime soon, but I'm making it work.

I just don't drive to work, and set my own hours. I could keep this up for ever.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:51 PM

Since I already work at home, the major difference is that my husband is here 24/7 as well. That's fine with me. The only places we ever go is shopping for food and other necessities. I've canceled all my doctors' appointments, but it's getting to the point where I have to see a few of them. Not looking forward to entering any medical facility.

But I do miss going to concerts. I recently got mail from the Cleveland Orchestra, for next season. Do they really think it'll be safe by September?

And my Gay Men's Chorus? When will that be safe, for the chorus members and the audience?

With my age and health issues, if I get this virus I'm a dead man. So the longer I'm quarantined, the safer I am.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:52 PM

At least two years. At least.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:16 AM

Medical facilities scare the crap outta me. I had to go in once since I've quarantined and it was truly frightening.
They came to the car and took my temp and squirted hand sanitizer, I was already masked. I got looked at. Prescribed meds and booted out of there. Fastest appt. I've ever had.
I still freaked out.

Like Panache, I'd most likely die if I got the virus. I'm in no hurry to get out of the house.
And, I'm fine with that.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-16-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
The hardest thing about lockdown is I can't get away from my kids. Being with a 4 year old and a 1 year old 24/7 is terrible and it will get worse in a week when school ends and the 30 min a day we get with someone else entertaining them goes away. Initially, school was annoying because it was one more thing we had to do, now its a moment when we can off load them. After a month without school we'll be praying for COVID.
That's the problem we have been having, living in an 11 sq ft condo with a 5 year old and a 3 year old. We are so used to spending most of our time outside of the apartment, it's tough having everyone crammed together. I can't even go to the building's gym anymore.

The factual answer to the OP's question is 3 months. Next weekend my wife is taking the kids to her parents in the country where they have a lot more room.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:41 AM

I miss restaurants and hanging out with friends and coworkers. My husband had to go to the office yesterday, and the McDonalds wasn't organized, so he ended up asking for his money back.

So that's the big thing. Going out is annoying. But it's necessary for buying food and for keeping the economy going. I would like a mixed solution, but that's only going to come with eliminating the problems with the virus.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Assume that the government is paying your necessary bills, personally and for any business you own; in addition, assume that you can WFH if your job supports it. Assume “typical” rules: no nonessential travel, stay within walking distance of your home for going outside, essential businesses only.

Do you think you could stay this way for months? How many? Does it depend on when you’re given an end date? What if your leaders refused to give you an end date, saying hey, we’re paying your bills, there’s nothing else you need, we’re staying closed until a vaccine is found?
I've been doing this for two months, and with summer coming on, which allows me to get outside for bike rides ('typical' rules place no restrictions on how far I can ride), I won't feel all that restricted. I think I'd start to feel pinched when cold weather sets in again.

The thing that bothers me most is the absence of any larger plan that the stay-at-home orders fit into. OK, we made sure the hospitals didn't get overwhelmed in the first wave; now what? The virus is still out there, hasn't become any less lethal, and AFAIAC, the world's just as dangerous a place for me now as it was a month ago, maybe more so: people in grocery stores who decide they don't need masks anymore could still kill me, and now that things are opening up again, a lot of people will interpret that as not needing to wear masks now.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:34 AM

So is the question just how long can you stay at home without getting bored when all your material needs are met? Forever. There is unlimited entertainment on the internet and the people complaining about lockdown need to learn how to use it
Old 05-16-2020, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
So is the question just how long can you stay at home without getting bored when all your material needs are met? Forever. There is unlimited entertainment on the internet and the people complaining about lockdown need to learn how to use it
Craving human contact and actual life experiences, not just an endless supply of empty "entertainment," is not a character flaw.

To be clear, I am following all of the actual rules put out by health authorities (although not silly ones made up by panicky people on the Internet, like "do not set foot outdoors ever") but it's not reasonable to expect people never to be bored, never to complain, and never to miss all the stuff we can't do. We have a responsibility to do what we can to avoid passing this disease on to vulnerable populations. We also have a right to hate every second of it and to look forward to when it's over.

And I'm an introvert with a job I can do from home. I can't even imagine what hell this must be for extroverts, people trapped with family members or roommates they don't get along with, or people who have lost their livelihood and have no prospect of getting it back.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:09 AM

aaagh

Idon't really care about Corona, but I miss the NBA.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:28 AM

I intend to stay in lock-down as long as it takes. I may break at some point, but I've basically locked myself in my apartment for the past 9 weeks and I could do it at least another 9 weeks. I realize not everyone has that luxury.

The thing is, I would feel much better about being a little more adventurous, and I would even be in favor of reopening if I had more confidence that our public health response were adequate. But it's just not. And people are really ignorant and defiant, which is not reassuring.

But we probably could, even now, begin a gradual reopening. If we had any self-discipline, we could try reopening with requirements for wearing masks, testing and allowing those who test negative to go back to work. We could also allow people with antibodies to return to work but after a period of documented extended observation. The goal would be to gradually increase the size of the workforce to 100% of essential workers and then encouraging more work from home for workers who can do work out of the office.

Obviously, one size won't fit all, and this might not be practical everywhere, but I wouldn't oppose the lockdowns if they were being done in an orderly, science-driven manner. But we know that's not happening, and we're going to pay dearly by the time flu season starts, I'm afraid. We can only hope that we somehow get lucky and a more dominant, less lethal strain emerges, which is not very likely.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:36 AM

dp

Last edited by asahi; 05-16-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I don't know how long it will take for me to reach the "I don't care anymore if I spread this disease to friends, family and/or total strangers" stage-I suspect 45 to 50 years.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
Craving human contact and actual life experiences, not just an endless supply of empty "entertainment," is not a character flaw.

To be clear, I am following all of the actual rules put out by health authorities (although not silly ones made up by panicky people on the Internet, like "do not set foot outdoors ever") but it's not reasonable to expect people never to be bored, never to complain, and never to miss all the stuff we can't do. We have a responsibility to do what we can to avoid passing this disease on to vulnerable populations. We also have a right to hate every second of it and to look forward to when it's over.

And I'm an introvert with a job I can do from home. I can't even imagine what hell this must be for extroverts, people trapped with family members or roommates they don't get along with, or people who have lost their livelihood and have no prospect of getting it back.
Also a right to eventually be shown real data was to which particular restrictions yield which particular benefits. Broad blanket measures are understandable when pretty much all you know is that the load on hospitals is headed really high, quite possibly far beyond their capacity (the situation for example where I live in the NY area when 'lock downs' were imposed). Eventually you must get a handle on what particular measures accomplish what (stuff less onerous than 'never step outside' might still accomplish almost nothing), and come to grips with the issue of 'flatten the curve' (prevent health system overload) v 'limit the eventual total number of cases or deaths to some X'. There's been a lack of clarity on the goal in that respect IMO.

The question does tend to presume all aspects of 'lock down' are somewhat equally useful. Although you can ask non-realistic questions if you want to, obviously. My answer to this one is also 'indefinitely', but it has limited real world relevance IMO. Even on the job side, there are jobs/careers where people can become irrelevant if they just drop out of working life, besides the issue of whether the public (the govt) can keep their current employer alive on life support indefinitely, not just pay the person's bills. And not everyone's end point goal in working life is *just* to pay the bills. I'm largely retired so 'the bills will be paid' is basically OK for me indefinitely. My kids have career goals beyond paying bills. Which has to be weighed against their own and public health, but that's back to the assumption that all elements of 'lock downs' have much effect, or even a positive one necessarily, on ultimate public health.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
What about hugs and sex?
Old 05-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
What about hugs and sex?
1. (((((hug)))))
2. Sorry-You're on your own.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Under my current circumstances - not much longer. I'm an essential worker, so I'm still going to work. My husband (a salesman) is working from home and his bowling leagues have shut down - so he has much less social interaction than he's used to and he's home every night ( which he has never been before) so he's driving me nuts. I haven't seen my granddaughter since March 5. Change my situation a little bit - say my daughter and granddaughter lived in my household and my husband and I were used to him being home every night and I could probably do it indefinitely.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
1. (((((hug)))))
2. Sorry-You're on your own.
I’ll take it.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=msmith537;22305526]That's the problem we have been having, living in an 11 sq ft condo with a 5 year old and a 3 year old. We are so used to spending most of our time outside of the apartment, it's tough having everyone crammed together. I can't even go to the building's gym anymore./QUOTE]

I sincerely hope that's a typo.

As for me, I could do what we're doing for a long time. We have a good home gym, a great place to walk where there are no people, and a house more than big enough for two of us.

I would, however, probably start cheating. I have two adult daughters within a hour's drive and I'm already getting pretty close to begging them to come visit.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:15 PM

Physically: indefinitely as long as I have weekly access to a supermarket.

Mentally: not entirely sure; I've been OK so far, but forced isolation from other people has been increasingly wearing, and one wonders at what point this becomes a kind of life not worth living.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 05-16-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

...I honestly didn’t expect so many sad shut-ins, but I suppose I should have.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
...I honestly didn’t expect so many sad shut-ins, but I suppose I should have.
Seriously. Half the people on this board are probably like "lock what now?"

Also, how "locked down" are people really? I mean I'm in a dense city just across the river from Manhattan. I don a mask and go out pretty much whenever I feel like it. It's just that there isn't anything to DO one I'm outside. I can walk along the river. I see people jogging. Mostly I just pick up takeout or go grocery shopping for the family. Sometimes I just drive my car around a bit. Although my wife can probably count the number of times she's been out of the apartment on one hand.

If you live anywhere else besides New York City (or in my case Hudson County, NJ), how "locked down" are you really? Everywhere else people mostly live in suburban homes with yards. You just have to wear a mask when you go to Target.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:39 AM

As things currently stand: indefinitely. We can both WFH, at present we're managing to get food deliveries often enough not to have to do grocery store runs, and I'm enough of an introvert that I don't really miss going out. The only thing driving me nuts is having to effectively teach my child all her subjects - the school is providing material and online support but I still have to help whenever she gets stuff (and, more often, poke her to do the work in the first place).

Also, I already have some mad crazy hair and it's only getting worse. The real question is at what point I give up and get the clippers out.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
This. Wife and I haven't had restaurant food (not even takeout) since March. We get all our groceries delivered, so we haven't even set foot in a grocery store since then either.

I miss the visual and mental stimulation of these sorts of activities.

I miss walking through a grocery store.

I miss buying gas for my car.

I miss sitting in a restaurant dining room, smelling all the different foods and hearing all the snippets of conversation around me.

I miss riding my motorcycle, which I haven't done yet this year.

I miss IndyCar, which has lopped off the first half of the current racing season.

I'm an introvert, but I do miss seeing my coworkers face to face, with all of the casual interaction that comes with that.

Four vacations were planned for this year, two of which involved visits with family. All cancelled until this stupid virus gets brought to heel.

We cook our food, we exercise on an elliptical trainer, we watch TV, we poke at the internet. We're still getting paid, we're physically healthy, but there's a lot that's missing compared to a few months ago. We can continue for a long time, but I can't pretend this is awesome.

"My heart is beating, I'm alive, but I don't call this living." - Adam Ant
Old 05-18-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Indefinitely. "Other people" is an over-rated concept.
L'enfer, c'est lest autres,
Le paradis, c'est soi-même?
Old 05-18-2020, 06:47 AM

I could do this pretty much forever. This weekend I alternated between being a bit drunk and pretty high. I mowed our lawn and things look lovely. My gf pointed out tree limbs she wanted removed, and I used the chainsaw. We went on a 2.5 hour horseback ride, sat in the yard watching our tortoise lurch around, hiked with the dogs, grilled walleye fillets, ate like a king.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I could do this pretty much forever. This weekend I alternated between being a bit drunk and pretty high. I mowed our lawn and things look lovely. My gf pointed out tree limbs she wanted removed, and I used the chainsaw. We went on a 2.5 hour horseback ride, sat in the yard watching our tortoise lurch around, hiked with the dogs, grilled walleye fillets, ate like a king.
Kinda the same here. We did however go out to look at new propane stoves in a town about 60 miles away. Ours quit and can't find parts to fix it. It's a heat stove not a cooking stove. It is at least not the middle of winter, but still gets a bit chilly. We absolutely must get this figured out.

Noodled on the guitar, trying to learn Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here (I'm absolutely terrible, but it's fun). Wife and I played two games of chess on the deck, then a game of Rummy inside since it got too chilly.

Days start very early and we are usually in bed by 7-8pm.

Oh the news went off, music came on. My Wife must be working. I should get to it as well, I mostly have some documents to read and a database conversion to try to puzzle out.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

If I am offered paying work I have no choice but to take it. And if I am forced to sign a liability waiver in order to accept that work, I also have no choice.

Aside from an offer for work, we plan to remain as locked down as we have been. Until there is a vaccination there is no reason to believe that the waves of viral infection and death will abate.

Angry frightened people want to unshoulder their AR-15s and cut people in half at the sternum for daring to say the words " Second Wave".

Fuck them.

It's coming. History shows it. Tracking of increased infections due to relaxed protocols shows it.

What the hell would suddenly make me think I can ride the subways ( which in NYC are quite jammed these weeks, months, days ), hang out in restaurants, sit in the park, etc? Nothing has changed. Nothing will change. A virus is a non-living entity of opportunity.

It actually doesn't give a fuck if Donald Trump is in the White House or not. It keeps reproducing merrily until it can't any more.

I assume I'll be living a severe lockdown at least until the New Year.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:01 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
L'enfer, c'est lest autres,
Le paradis, c'est soi-même?
Pretty much. The wife and I have each other and the cats. We're good.

I will admit being a bit pissed off that 2 weeks after reconnecting with my former brewing partner and her husband, and after making plans for regular dinners together we got locked down and every restaurant/bar in the world closed. C'est la guerre.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
As an ER doctor I hope the drunk/high portion of the weekend was separate from the chainsaw/lawnmower portion. Otherwise that sounds lovely.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:44 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Like others, I already work from home. I am still getting paid. I don't go out much as it is...pretty much just to grocery shop, and I'm doing that now. In fact I'm doing that now more than ever because I'm shopping for my folks too and cooking more at home.

I walk the dogs at parks less now, because people are flocking to parks. I still walk them, but just around the neighborhood and occasionally at a park if it's sparse.

Only things I'm "missing" are trivia at the bar, and city council related meetings. We have our meetings online. Trivia at the bar is opening June 1 and I don't think I'll be going yet.

I offered to host Trivial Pursuit games over Zoom with my trivia team and nobody wanted to do it. So they must not miss trivia too much. Fuck 'em.

Anyway, I'm good staying home. And actually getting increasingly paranoid about catching it as I read more accounts of people who have lived through it. I'm not ready.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendgwen View Post
As an ER doctor I hope the drunk/high portion of the weekend was separate from the chainsaw/lawnmower portion. Otherwise that sounds lovely.
Heh, I hear ya. I use a chainsaw maybe twice a month, year round. We now hire out the big jobs just because 62 year old outa shape dudes shouldn't fell the big ones.

I always show respect to the chainsaw. I wear shoes, for example. And my state of mind is always as it should be. I take one or two puffs from the vape pen, then proceed. Without one or two puffs I'm too cautious to touch a chainsaw.

And my end of the mowing involves our riding tractor. Drunk for that, but it's just driving around in an ever shrinking circle.