Old 05-18-2020, 02:20 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Assume that the government is paying your necessary bills, personally and for any business you own; in addition, assume that you can WFH if your job supports it. Assume “typical” rules: no nonessential travel, stay within walking distance of your home for going outside, essential businesses only.

Do you think you could stay this way for months? How many? Does it depend on when you’re given an end date? What if your leaders refused to give you an end date, saying hey, we’re paying your bills, there’s nothing else you need, we’re staying closed until a vaccine is found?
Well, if you mean me, personally, with my actual real life, then I'd say I can continue as I've been pretty much indefinitely. I haven't been locked down, and while my department has been working mainly from home, much of the department still has to come into work physically. Myself, I haven't been working from home more than a handful of days since this thing started. While the stress, especially early on, took a huge toll and continues to do so, I think we have gotten things to a point where we can sustain this for as long as it takes...assuming the government starts getting the revenues again to sustain everything, which seems iffy at this point. That's the real issue...how long can we go on with this level of deficit? We have already had our budget for the rest of the fiscal year frozen and there have been several other things that might be bad as well. If they don't get better, that might be the best case. I seriously doubt that, without massive money from the federal government injected into the state we could survive as more than a ghost operation until a vaccine is tested and produced and distributed in quantities sufficient to make a real difference. But, assuming the money could be found, me, personally, I'd be fine...assuming I survive the constant stress. I SHOULD be good wrt the actual disease going forward, at least in theory, but it's all the rest that might do me in.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 05-18-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:29 PM

Technically, we can sustain this indefinitely. Practically, I'm worried I'm going to develop agoraphobia.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:24 PM

In addition to working and writing this week, I've been trying different produce in the slightly adequate food dehydrator, cleaned the condenser coils and grate on the fridge, transplanted scallion bottoms from windowsill to soil, and finished distributing a unit of bark mulch. Today I did some work, made minor household repairs, and received another 4 cu. yd. of coarser mulch for the wet parts of the yard. In a bit I'll put on an audiobook (I'm thinking Network Effect, the newest and longest Murderbot volume) and make sauerkraut and soup. Plenty to do without even getting to the midden heap, a.k.a. the room everything was thrown into when we had two days to grab everything we needed from our offices). Oh, and playing with the cats all day has them both dropping weight.

ETA: And I had a lady chainsaw for awhile, but it scared me enough that I never used it. Wish I had one to cut down the colossal yard debris heap.

Last edited by susan; 05-18-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
...I'm worried I'm going to develop agoraphobia.
This sounds like a case of agoraphobiaphobia.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Discussing it is metaagoraphobiaphobia.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Presuming that we're talking about the kind of "lockdown" we've got now, in which driving to the grocery etc. occasionally is permissible: pretty much indefinitely,...
Yeah, kinda. Although after talking to my doctor today, I think I will have to leave the safety of my home to see an opthamologist soon. Can I do that in your lockdown?

I mean, I hate it. There's lots of stuff I miss. But I'm doing okay. I can do my job just fine, I am socializing most evenings over hangouts/discord/zoom, making lots of phone calls. I have my husband, daughter, and cat for physical company. I'm enjoying doing yard work. Most days, most of the time, I'm fine. And I expect to be able to keep this up for a while.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
I'm really enjoying being able to settle in with my agoraphobia. I'm an agoraphobiaphiliac.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I think that rather than "the government is funding all your essential costs", the premise should be "assuming housing / food are not an issue, whether it's working remotely, savings, or public aid".

I've been teleworking for 6 years, so the work isn't that different except that I don't have to do pointless "show up at the client, warm a seat, and interact with nobody in real life" visits (none of the people I work with are local, but we have a contractual obligation to have x number of warm-body-at-client days a month).

I miss the variety of items available at the grocery store and the ability to dash out at a moment's notice for some last-minute item I forgot. Not that I couldn't do that now, with reasonable precautions, but we are erring on the side of caution (as I'm in a higher risk group). All in all, what I miss is not so much *doing* things, but *being able to do* them.

My husband and I get along quite well and always have, so we're not doing the "how can he drive me CRAZY today" game like some friends are experiencing.

Anyway, current level of lockdown: 3-4 months easily. I don't need new clothing or other things that are completely unavailable (yes, I know, mail order, but you have to try things on). Food is acceptable. Socialization isn't much worse than usual.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
I think that rather than "the government is funding all your essential costs", the premise should be "assuming housing / food are not an issue, whether it's working remotely, savings, or public aid".

My husband and I get along quite well and always have, so we're not doing the "how can he drive me CRAZY today" game like some friends are experiencing.

Anyway, current level of lockdown: 3-4 months easily. I don't need new clothing or other things that are completely unavailable (yes, I know, mail order, but you have to try things on). Food is acceptable. Socialization isn't much worse than usual.
I could probably go another 3-4 months as well.

Iím recently retired and not working isnít a issue. I had intended to pick up some part time or freelance work and thatíll have to wait longer than I thought, but I donít need it to live.

I havenít seen a hairdresser since 2014 so thatís not an issue. When the lockdowns first started my yoga practice was an issue, itís hard for me to motivate to practice on my own, even with prerecorded classes.

But then everyone started to figure out how to use Zoom. Now Iím taking highly specialized classes that I like, with world class instructors. Classes that I had to give up when I left New York. Even back then, I had to leave my home at 2:45 for a 4PM class and I didnít get home until close to 7. Now I can just walk to the little ďstudioĒ I set up in my dressing room a few minutes before class. And I can play my own music if I like. Itís better than ever.

I could probably do this part forever and Iím hoping it maybe wonít go away.

Clothes shopping, I needed a few things and I wanted to try stuff on. So early this week, I donned my mask and went to an almost empty store.

But the fitting rooms were closed, which I didnít anticipate. So I grabbed the stuff I was looking for - ( stuff I had my eye on before the lockdown) and checked it out, now I have to go back and exchange a few things for sizing reasons. The good news is that they were too large, so maybe I managed to survive the lockdown without gaining weight.

But I could go on like this for a while. Itís just not that drastic,

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-19-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

It appears it's going to be a very long summer. My work may not crank up until at least August. ( Freelance Television production )

This is hard and getting harder. Finding reasons to get out of the house isn't very hard to do.

Feeling even moderately SAFE being outside of the apartment to do anything other than drive around in the car is brutally hard.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
Feeling even moderately SAFE being outside of the apartment to do anything other than drive around in the car is brutally hard.
That, I think, is still going to be a major factor even if/when/as states and countries officially open things.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM

Indefinitely.

I've been lobbying for telework for years to no avail. My bosses just like having us in the office, even if there's no real reason for it (there's really no real reason for it). Now that I am set up at home, I could and would happily continue working this way forever. Eventually I will have to go back in to the office but I will put it off as long as possible.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:58 AM

I was completely "sheltered at home" (outside of tentative forays for supplies) for 5 weeks. Illinois schools were shut down as of midnight on the 17th of March. The first 4 days were great. I caught up on sleep, cleaned the place, and took it easy. By the end of the 2nd week, I was bored. By the end of 5 weeks, I understood why people in dungeons used scratch marks on the walls to keep track of days.

I basically returned to work on my own. The principal was surprised to see me, and he said that I could schedule myself in any way that made me feel comfortable. I said I wanted to do 4 hours a day at work, and the rest at home dealing with Remote Learning issues. He said fine. That's the way it has been ever since. LOL
Old 05-28-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Indefinitely.

I've been lobbying for telework for years to no avail. My bosses just like having us in the office, even if there's no real reason for it (there's really no real reason for it). Now that I am set up at home, I could and would happily continue working this way forever. Eventually I will have to go back in to the office but I will put it off as long as possible.
That's me too. Other than the internet being painfully slow at home, I'm good. I will probably be one of the last groups to be brought back in. I'm in the GIS department for a county government. Other than printing the occasional map, we don't need to be physically in the office at all.

There has been an offer for me to physically pick up my office workstation and bring it home, but that won't fix my internet latency, so I probably won't do that. I do need to set up another monitor though.

Once/if SpaceX gets it's Starlink constellation up, I'll be golden.

Last edited by enipla; 05-28-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:01 AM

Today's struggle: trying to buy hair clippers online as I have gone seriously shaggy and my office is slowly moving from audio-only conference calls to video ones.

Everywhere is either completely sold out or only offering cheap crappy Chinese clippers at present (looking at you, Amazon). I managed to find a local place a short walk away that will order one to be picked up next week, so I'll have to venture out briefly for that (with mask) when it comes in.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:43 AM

One good thing about satellite internet is I don't do video meetings. I can phone in. Zoom with the latency and the data it eats up just ain't gonna work. Co-workers understand.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Technically, we can sustain this indefinitely. Practically, I'm worried I'm going to develop agoraphobia.
Same. We have a week's vacation coming up, and as the lockdown is being lifting, we can take cable cars to the mountains, travel within Switzerland and go to restaurants. We'll take masks with us, and will wear them if we can't be far enough from other people. The virus isn't done with us yet.

But I don't have a big desire to go wandering around the mall, and I really don't want to go back to the office. As the company wants most of us to stay home, so we seem to be on the same page. As long as I stay in the same routine, the only time I need to wear a mask is at the hair salon and the doctor's office. I'd rather do that than wear a mask all day.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

At this point it is a struggle to leave to walk the 2 blocks to food shop. To get into the car is easier because it is a safe clean space. I can drive to the beach with my wife and sit in the car and look at the ocean. That's safe. Getting into the car and driving to the laundromat to do laundry is incredibly unsafe. Air flow, no masks on some people, proximity. I've no choice, however.

I'm angrier and angrier with people walking by on the sidewalk with no masks. They could give a fuck and are proud of it.

I, at almost 58 with asthma and obesity, give a fuck. It tells me everything I need to know- again- about human beings.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:04 PM

I can only stay locked down like this for five or ten years*...

Yeah, I'm feeling guilty about how well I'm coping with this:

I've always been accused of being boring for staying home... but not now! Now I'm saving the world.
I've been too lazy to get my artwork in a gallery... but not now! They're all shuttered.
My caution about major remodeling was assumed to be procrastination... but not now! I'm just being cautious, waiting til things normalize.
And I've always felt bad about ignoring friends for weeks at a time... but not now! It's my civic duty.

*then I'll have to go watch a football game at a bar.

Last edited by digs; 05-30-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I can only stay locked down like this for five or ten years*...

Yeah, I'm feeling guilty about how well I'm coping with this:

I've always been accused of being boring for staying home... but not now! Now I'm saving the world.
I've been too lazy to get my artwork in a gallery... but not now! They're all shuttered.
My caution about major remodeling was assumed to be procrastination... but not now! I'm just being cautious, waiting til things normalize.
And I've always felt bad about ignoring friends for weeks at a time... but not now! It's my civic duty.

*then I'll have to go watch a football game at a bar.
I'm also in that general category. I don't have to feel obligated to give awkward hugs to acquaintances I barely know...that's not exactly wearing me down. At some point I'll again be boring for liking to stay home, but I'm holding out hope the hugging strangers thing, which didn't used to be nearly as much a thing, disappears for good.

It is a license of laziness though, and that's not a good thing for a lot of people I think including myself.