Old 05-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Of course he's operating a scam--he's scamming people to get re-elected, just like he scammed them to get elected in the first place. The fact that Trump is hateful goes without saying. Just sitting around wringing our hands because he's hateful isn't going to get rid of him. In fact, that just makes him more appealing to his base. That's how he got in office. Everyone was focusing on his hatefulness instead of his fraud and incompetence. That allowed him to get ahead in controlling the discourse, and he's been doing it ever since.
Yeah, I see this so often, a flat refusal to acknowledge that in any way shape or form he may be bringing any skill to bear, even if in a degraded form. His trajectory of repeatedly losing people's money, yet always finding still more new marks for his next scheme, shows that at the very least he is instinctively well attuned to detecting who's an easy target and how distraction and misdirection helps him get his way over on others.

And nah, I don't think drink is his problem. I tend to go for the basic "he's just plainly an unrepentant prick" take on his character.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-17-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I believe that we didn't elect a President we elected a clown. Is it deliberate or does he have a mental disorder? We'll probably never know for sure.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
If he dies in office, future immoral politicians will look at his example and decide that he got away with it. They'll figure they can do the same kind of horrible things that Trump has done but just maintain a healthier lifestyle. Or hire a cadre of loyal bodyguards, depending on how he died.
Well, hopefully they would make the connection that the reason that he got away with it was that he died before the end of his first term. A steady drumbeat of Now the story can be told exposés would help.

I am reminded of a science fiction story I read at about age twelve. Being that long ago the title and author are lost; even most of the details are muzzy. The upshot is that there has been some sort of apocalypse and the setting is a self-sustaining, isolated, small town. The town still has a mayor but he is in office only for a year. At the end of that period, he is literally burned at the stake.

All this is explained by the protagonist to his young daughter and he further explains that the mayor's badge of office, a small brass cylinder on a chain around his neck, contains a heat-sensitive explosive that will blow his head off before things get too painful. Then, a few moments before the fire is ceremonially lit, he climbs onto the pyre and removes the cylinder from the soon to be ex-mayor's neck and places it around his own, to rejoin his family and walk away ignoring the screams behind them.

The town will continue to have a mayor until everyone decides they no longer need one, but only one year at a time.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
This, and there are persistent rumors that he takes pseudoephedrine in gorilla-sized doses.
I doubt his personal physician would let him do that. That stuff causes rapid heart rate and palpitations and can cause heart attacks. As overweight and out of shape as that sack of fuck dust is, I think he would be dead already if he was regularly using that shit.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:12 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
I doubt his personal physician would let him do that. That stuff causes rapid heart rate and palpitations and can cause heart attacks. As overweight and out of shape as that sack of fuck dust is, I think he would be dead already if he was regularly using that shit.
Unless he's made a deal with Satan, which, despite being an atheist, I'm thinking more and more is the case.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Good Lord, I wish that clown in the White House had some of those usual vices. Then there'd be a greater possibility of his dying soon.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Unless he's made a deal with Satan, which, despite being an atheist, I'm thinking more and more is the case.

Nah, no need to make a deal with himself.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Eh, he doesn't need cocaine to be a punk.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
His personal physician. You mean the one in New York they called "Dr. Feelgood" and whose office was raided and cleaned out by Trump's bodyman? Or the one who did his presidential physical and proclaimed him to have excellent genes and that he could live to be 200? And said that he was 6' 2" and 239lbs despite all visual evidence to the contrary?

I do think it's shocking that the man hasn't keeled over yet, but that doesn't mean he hasn't felt the effects of stimulant abuse. Incontinence, clear cognitive issue and that "first part of his physical" that they bum rushed him to Walter Reed for late last year.

Again, see what Noel Casler has to say about it.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 PM

So, if the damn dirty lying sack of dung is actually taking this Wunderdroge, then one of two things is happening: 1-he's gotten a prescription for it, or 2-he's taking it without prescription. Option one requires a competent doctor to write the thing, while option 2, IMHO, is more likely given the clown's stance on actual doctors.