Old 05-17-2020, 02:59 PM

Proof Trump has NPD (narcissistic personality disorder) mental illness

He has every one of the symptoms listed here: Anyone disagree?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20366662
Old 05-17-2020, 03:08 PM

Nailed it! But he’ll never seek help, so it doesn’t really matter. His reign is perfect.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Anyone disagree?
I disagree in principle with amateurs attempting psychological diagnoses. That is the route that leads many undergraduate students in abnormal psychology courses to self diagnose themselves with multiple mental health conditions. I also disagree with even professionals trying to conduct a diagnosis based on a distorted public facing image without meeting the with someone in a structured setting to conduct a formal assessment. I also take minor issue with an article restating the criteria rather than a more formal listing of the criteria from the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders... yes the acronym is short letters )

So aside from that, sure. In my completely meaningless and unqualified opinion Trump appears to fit the criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder. So what? With my meaningless diagnosis, a dollar, and the social affront of taking several pennies from the dish at the register I can get a small cup of coffee.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:03 PM

Well...........yeah. He's a narcissist.

I don't see much debate here to be had.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Donald Trump exhibits Belligerent Arrogant Asshole syndrome. It's not a mental illness. It's a fucking character defect. His reaction to a lifetime set of experiences has been to coalesce his attitudes and behaviors around belligerent arrogant asshole ways of being in the world.

He doesn't need a diagnosis. He needs to be ignored except when it's necessary to kick him to make him stop hurting people. Oh and obviously he needs to be retired from his current job.

Don't psychiatrize him. There's no need to lend credibility to horseshit mentalist ways of discrediting people by implying their neurons aren't working. It's not his neurons. He chose a bad path. His emotional coping skills suck ass. He's a bully. We could consider him a victim of the specific circumstances of his specific life events or we could blame him for the choices that he made, but it doesn't matter: we don't need to punish him but we need to disable him from being able to do further harm.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:33 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

A rant, really.

To the Pit.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
... With my meaningless diagnosis, a dollar, and the social affront of taking several pennies from the dish at the register I can get a small cup of coffee.
Where can one still find even a small cup of coffee for $1.00 (and some loose pennies) anymore? And is it drinkable (certainly not expecting it to be good).
Old 05-17-2020, 06:23 PM
Elephant Whisperer

In other news, water is wet and sky is blue. Film at 11.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Where can one still find even a small cup of coffee for $1.00 (and some loose pennies) anymore? And is it drinkable (certainly not expecting it to be good).
In YOUR neighborhood. I can still pour myself a reasonable cup of coffee in Brooklyn at a grimy newsstand for a buck at six in the morning, and I take it black. No amelioration with milk or sugar. And Brooklyn is much more yuppified than Queens.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

And I agree with Ahunter3. Trump may not be clinically insane, but he is a lifelong prick.

I’d like to see him jackhammered into pieces by illegal Polish construction workers, like he ordered the bas-reliefs on the historic Bonwit Teller flagship store on Fifth Avenue.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

This has been pointed out long ago (by me and others) that he fits the classic DSM-5 description of the disorder.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:47 PM

IMO Trump has 3 things seriously wrong with him mentally.

1. A narcissistic disorder
2. Dementia (probably stage 3/4 at this point)
3. A low IQ

I don't think any one of them explain his behavior, but all 3 combined do.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 05-17-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

3. A low IQ

NPD is most prominent in my opinion, but the behaviors associated with it are much more noxious in Trump's case because of his wealth, power, and associated lack of accountability for his actions.

Though he is not legally "insane" Trump's delusional thinking suggests he is only loosely tethered to reality.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

I’m a proud member of the right wing conspiracy.

But I have always rallied about Trumps narcissism.

I recognized it immediately because my father-in-law is a level 10 narcissist. He makes Donny Boy look like someone with low self esteem. If you ever met my F.I.L. you simply wouldn’t fucking believe it. Dealing with someone like that is an adventure into madness. The only way to deal with someone like that is to not deal with them at all and completely ignore them. It drives them nuts and saves your sanity.

Trump is a text book level 9.9 narcissist.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
I’m a proud member of the right wing conspiracy.

But I have always rallied about Trumps narcissism.

I recognized it immediately because my father-in-law is a level 10 narcissist. He makes Donny Boy look like someone with low self esteem. If you ever met my F.I.L. you simply wouldn’t fucking believe it. Dealing with someone like that is an adventure into madness. The only way to deal with someone like that is to not deal with them at all and completely ignore them. It drives them nuts and saves your sanity.

Trump is a text book level 9.9 narcissist.
That's just it, most NPD"s and other personality disordered folks face significant relationship, employment, and legal consequences ...but not Donny.

Last edited by Kelby; 05-17-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelby View Post
That's just it, most NPD"s and other personality disordered folks face significant relationship, employment, and legal consequences ...but not Donny.
He has bought his way into every relationship and out of every courtroom.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Donald Trump exhibits Belligerent Arrogant Asshole syndrome. It's not a mental illness. It's a fucking character defect.
Concur.

You never can tell though, BAAS may be included in the next DSM update.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Remember folks, it's a disorder only if it causes HIM problems.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

3. A low IQ

I honestly don't know whether #2 and 3 are true. But I do believe he is the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
He has every one of the symptoms listed here: Anyone disagree?
Well, let's see:

Quote:
Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
We've no idea what he fantasizes about.

Other than that, yeah, he seems to have all of 'em.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Remember folks, it's a disorder only if it causes HIM problems.
Well, we already know he's a miserable bastard, but in a world that was equitable, he'd be a severely miserable bastard.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:01 AM

Fawlty towers had an episode where a shrink said "We could have an entire conference on him" talking about Basil. Same is true for Trump.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
I disagree in principle with amateurs attempting psychological diagnoses. That is the route that leads many undergraduate students in abnormal psychology courses to self diagnose themselves with multiple mental health conditions. I also disagree with even professionals trying to conduct a diagnosis based on a distorted public facing image without meeting the with someone in a structured setting to conduct a formal assessment. I also take minor issue with an article restating the criteria rather than a more formal listing of the criteria from the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders... yes the acronym is short letters )

This is true, but even as a non-doctor never having examined a patient, if I was told a person fell, heard a sharp crack and saw a jagged bone sticking out of his leg, I might be willing to hazard a guess that he had a broken leg. The diagnosis of Trump for NPD is in a similar vein.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:

3. A low IQ

There's one more thing I'd add: he was indoctrinated from a young age with the religion of Norman Vincent Peale (who wrote The Power of Positive Thinking). I recall this every time I hear Trump talk about what he wishes were true instead of what actually is true. That's exactly what Peale taught, and while a little bit of that might be good for a normal functioning adult to try, too much is really bad. And combined with NPD, hoo boy.

About the NPD thing, my wife is a mental health counselor, she does therapy. She told me in 2015 that Trump has NPD and that he would be a disaster as president.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
  • Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
  • Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation
  • Oh, I certainly hope so.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
He has bought his way into every relationship and out of every courtroom.
Excellent.
Did you steal that from someone?
Old 05-18-2020, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelby View Post
Am I being whooshed here?

Trump's life has been an ongoing series of failures. He's in his third marriage, he's filed for six bankruptcies, he's been charged with countless crimes, he came in second place in the 2016 election, and he's been impeached. The only thing Trump has had going for him is that he's always had other people around to insulate him from the consequences of his failures.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:33 PM

So...we none of us like him because he's a narcissist.

And yet, we continue to give him attention. So who's fault is he really?

DNFTFT FFS.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:39 PM

Missed the edit window. For Little Nemo:
Third marriage--he's well-rid of those other loser broads
Bankruptcy is incorporated into more than a few long-term financial plans, to the point where the next one is scheduled before the ink is dry on the previous one. BK is only a stigma if you allow it to be. Alternatively it is a tool that eliminates millions of bucks in debt. Who's the loser now?
He got the keys to the White house in the 2018(sic) election--so say again who won?
Yeah he was impeached, and what has come of that, exactly?

We can do this all day. HE won't recognize a failure as a failure if it is defined by someone else. He is always winning. For reals, actually. Sure, people know stuff about him and accuse him and throw rotten eggs at his picture but I'm not seeing him have to actually internalize any of it. He keeps being him because he is unstoppable. And he's right about that.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 05-18-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:51 PM

On amateurs doing mental diagnoses, from our friends in L&O: Criminal Intent:

Detective Serena Stevens: You're a stickler for behavioural theory. Listen to this:
[Reading out loud] These individuals can have a grandiose view of themselves and demand excessive admiration. They maneuver well in difficult situations, their self-esteem is fragile. Any threat to their self-image, might agitate or even enrage them.

Detective Zach Nichols: That's right out of a psych text book. You have Narcissistic Disorder, that's psycho-pathology that fits our Patricia to a t.

Detective Serena Stevens: Or a sign of the Zodiac. She's a Scorpio.

Detective Zach Nichols: Yeah. Well, you know my father would kill me for saying this, but uh. Equally valid.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
He got the keys to the White house in the 2018(sic) election
fuck my life, it really HAS been that long! Sorry, buddy.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:58 PM

OK, so he has NPD, but that doesn't explain this mess. Aren't people like that generally shunned? Laughed at? Avoided? Having Major Gaping Asshole disorder, or whatever it's called, should prevent someone for garnering 63 million votes in a national election. In a sane world.

Was it just a conman's trick, telling the gullible what they wanted to hear?. Watching Trump speak at the republican convention in 2016 was a profound moment for me. I felt a similar sensation when the second plane hit the twin towers. An all encompassing despair, for different reasons. Trump's speech made me lose faith in America, or rather the America I hoped we'd become someday. That dream feels dead and buried.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
There's one more thing I'd add: he was indoctrinated from a young age with the religion of Norman Vincent Peale (who wrote The Power of Positive Thinking). I recall this every time I hear Trump talk about what he wishes were true instead of what actually is true. That's exactly what Peale taught, and while a little bit of that might be good for a normal functioning adult to try, too much is really bad. And combined with NPD, hoo boy.

About the NPD thing, my wife is a mental health counselor, she does therapy. She told me in 2015 that Trump has NPD and that he would be a disaster as president.
Also add in the fact that as a child of privilege who is surrounded by suck-ups, as often as not his wishes do in fact do become reality. While most Peale devotees quickly learn the limits of his philosophy when the world fails to conform, Trump never had to confront this.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 05-18-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post

Trump's life has been an ongoing series of failures. He's in his third marriage, he's filed for six bankruptcies, he's been charged with countless crimes, he came in second place in the 2016 election, and he's been impeached. The only thing Trump has had going for him is that he's always had other people around to insulate him from the consequences of his failures.
That's what is meant by occupational or relationship impairment, Trump has experienced those, but has always had some around to prop him up due to his wealth and power, so he's never really faced consequences for his pathology.

He's now the fucking PoTUS for crissake.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
OK, so he has NPD, but that doesn't explain this mess. Aren't people like that generally shunned? Laughed at? Avoided? Having Major Gaping Asshole disorder, or whatever it's called, should prevent someone for garnering 63 million votes in a national election. In a sane world.

Was it just a conman's trick, telling the gullible what they wanted to hear?. Watching Trump speak at the republican convention in 2016 was a profound moment for me. I felt a similar sensation when the second plane hit the twin towers. An all encompassing despair, for different reasons. Trump's speech made me lose faith in America, or rather the America I hoped we'd become someday. That dream feels dead and buried.
Many were conned, I'm guessing Fox viewers mostly, others were Hillary/Democrat haters, others simply vote for anyone who has an R by their name.

An uncomfortable number of people, especially young people, stayed home.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
On amateurs doing mental diagnoses, from our friends in L&O: Criminal Intent:

Detective Serena Stevens: You're a stickler for behavioural theory. Listen to this:
[Reading out loud] These individuals can have a grandiose view of themselves and demand excessive admiration. They maneuver well in difficult situations, their self-esteem is fragile. Any threat to their self-image, might agitate or even enrage them.

Detective Zach Nichols: That's right out of a psych text book. You have Narcissistic Disorder, that's psycho-pathology that fits our Patricia to a t.

Detective Serena Stevens: Or a sign of the Zodiac. She's a Scorpio.

Detective Zach Nichols: Yeah. Well, you know my father would kill me for saying this, but uh. Equally valid.
FWIW, I've been a practicing psychologist for over 30 years, about to retire. I'm pretty sure a few others who've posted in this thread have professional expertise as well.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:

I've heard from some celebrities that trump is good at listening to what people want from him, then giving it to them. As a narcissist, it makes sense since narcs fees on adulation and respect, so learning what people want or reading a room are integral.

A lot of us lost a lot of faith in America when we realized 63 million Americans decided trump was morally, legally and mentally competent to be president. I have no idea. The ones who know trump is an incompetent criminal. But voted for him anyway due to tax cuts or the courts I can at least understand. It's his cult followers who are confusing and sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post

Trump sadly has failed up his entire life. He likely has a long history of criminal behavior long before becoming president and he has never faced any consequences for any of it.

Had trump been born poor or middle class he'd be a total failure or in prison. But he was born rich and that protected him from the consequences of his own mental illness and stupidity.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Trump sadly has failed up his entire life. He likely has a long history of criminal behavior long before becoming president and he has never faced any consequences for any of it.

Had trump been born poor or middle class he'd be a total failure or in prison. But he was born rich and that protected him from the consequences of his own mental illness and stupidity.
One wonders. Is he genetically inferior, or is he the result of his poor-little-rich-kid upbringing? If he had been born poor or middle class, would he have grown up to be a completely different kind of person?
Old 05-19-2020, 01:49 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

The only difference is he'd be a poor evil jackass.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:07 AM

There was a report recently that indicated that Hydroxychloroquine poisoning can have odd mental side effects. Doesn't explain "all" of Trump, but hey, when the pinball keeps hitting the Multiplyier target, sometimes the machine "pops" (a free game)?

https://www.rxlist.com/plaquenil-sid...rug-center.htm

Some symptoms I jotted down from the website:

Dizziness, Mood Changes, Nervousness, Irritability, Twitching, Uncontrolled Movement, Loss of Balance or Coordination, Confusion, Unusual Thoughts or Behavior.
There's also Nausea, but anyone forced to listen to Trump has that...

Last edited by Mundane Super Hero; 05-19-2020 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
OK, so he has NPD, but that doesn't explain this mess. Aren't people like that generally shunned? Laughed at? Avoided?
Not at all. You probably know a lot of people with Social Narcissism tendencies, but most of them don't get an international spotlight shining on them for years, have it to the degree Trump does, or combine it with dementia.

A lot of the things people find suprising about Trump are "oh, hi Mom!" for me. She wasn't academically or professionally successful, but socially? One of the worst parts of being her daughter was how many times I was told what a woooooonderful person she was.

The one thing she'll regret about dying is that she won't be able to enjoy being the centerpiece at the funeral.

Last edited by Nava; 05-19-2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
3. A low IQ

And proud of it.

Surrounded by friends who are equally proud of it. An unbeatable combination.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:39 AM

Trump throws more tantrums in 1 week than my 20 year old kids threw in their whole life.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Excellent.
Did you steal that from someone?
Thanks. Not deliberately.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 AM

Trump lies when he would be better off telling the truth
Old 05-19-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
The only difference is he'd be a poor evil jackass.
I like the theory that a co-worker opined a couple of months ago- basically that he's had too much money all his life, and that it's insulated him from the consequences of his actions.

I suspect this is the root of all his problems. Where another kid growing up in NYC in the 1950s and 1960s would have had to deal with the occasional or not-so-occasional ass-kicking for acting entitled, mouthing off, or generally being a pest, not so for rich-kid Donny.

Most people when they're employed have to toe the line to a great extent and behave a certain way, or they get fired and their livelihood is imperiled. Not so for rich-guy Donny.

You learn over time how to behave, and in conjunction with that, you learn how to overcome setbacks and develop a certain amount of grit and reserve. Not so for Trump; he's never had to actually suffer any consequences, and it shows- no filter on what he says or does, because he's never held accountable.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:11 PM

This is what I can't figure out. There have been sociopaths before. There are pathological liars. More narcissists than you can shake a stick at. Trump is all those things and has a long history of various other reprehensible and arguably criminal behavior. He is a fundamentally irredeemable person with relatively few influential friends and even fewer powerful peers who have any respect for him. Relegated to clown status by most of society, he has been is a punchline for years. So:

How the FUCK has he gotten away with everything for as long as he has and ended up being rewarded for his demonstrable incompetence?

What is wrong with the American public that allowed for this to even be a remote possibility let alone this absurd reality?

Where are the checks and balances we've all been assured exist to prevent this kind of corrupt and wholly unqualified individual from becoming POTUS?

Will anyone take American politics and democratic institutions of government seriously again? How can they?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Trump lies when he would be better off telling the truth
Telling the truth goes against his nature. If he said the sky was blue, I wouldn't believe it until I looked outside for myself.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-19-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:10 PM

Trump was on TV for 12 years. So he was not some outsider he was a TV celeb. If you look into it almost every celeb who has run for office has won - Arnold S, Sonny Bono, Jesse Ventura, Love Boat gopher, and so on. Celebs start out with so much name recognition.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Trump was on TV for 12 years. So he was not some outsider he was a TV celeb.
And the story line was always "Donald Trump, fabulous business genius". So that is what is embedded in the national consciousness. There are easily accessible stories showing that it is basically all just a story for the show, but it is extremely hard to dislodge something like that. How many people believe that Washington cut down a cherry tree, after all?