Old 05-19-2020, 01:08 AM

Things are opening up. What personal service are you comfortable to try to get?

I need a manicure. I need a facial waxing. I would love a micro-dermabrasion and facial. But I don't feel brave enough for any of them. You?
Old 05-19-2020, 01:25 AM

I find myself of two minds. As a Libertarian, I want to tell the government: F*CK YOU, we will do what we want, and if we get sick, that's our problem; my body, my choice! But on the other hand, as a paranoid, I want to hide under my bed until there is absolutely no risk remaining.

But, as a pragmatist, I think I will take a wait-and-see posture. The founders were smart enough to gift us with a federalist system where each individual state can operate as a "laboratory of democracy" and we can see what works and what doesn't.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:30 AM

Out to dinner, somewhere on a restaurant patio. Even with takeout, I've only eaten at home or my car. Would like to get an item that's not good to go, but awesome at a table, like eggs Benedict, a steak...

Need haircut too, can't do it myself. I go to a small place nearby that will abide by the distance/PPE rules.

Neither are really necessary, though. I've made some good meals and letting my balding hair grow is great again.

Last edited by Locrian; 05-19-2020 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Gym. I was waiting til March after the first of the year crowd died down to get started on my routine. But that all went to shit.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:11 AM

None. Coronavirus cases are still on the rise in Arizona. Even though barber shops, salons, etc. are open now, the curve still isn't flattening enough.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:17 AM

None, we will continue to behave as if we should still be in lockdown because we are fortunate enough to be able to do that.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:20 AM

Nothing yet. Although my state has good trendlines compared to most, and I'm in a rural country which has been little-affected, I do not feel safe or anything like it. Maybe in another month if all goes well here.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
None. Coronavirus cases are still on the rise in Arizona. Even though barber shops, salons, etc. are open now, the curve still isn't flattening enough.
They had a story on the news about a salon that reopened and only the owner returned to work; the rest refused.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
They had a story on the news about a salon that reopened and only the owner returned to work; the rest refused.
My daughter is a self employed hair stylist. Not being one to save money, the shutdown hit her hard. When the restrictions were lifted, she said she had $205.00 left in her checking account

She kept in contact with her clients and when she was able to reopen after 48 days, she has been working 10 hour days six days a week to fit everyone in. I am glad she managed to weather the storm. So many have not.

The restaurants got the OK for dine in service, with social distancing restrictions and limited to 50% of occupancy, two weeks ago but not many of them are oped for anything other than take out and delivery. I picked up a pizza at our favorite local place Sunday. I asked the owner when they planned to open for dine in and he said that he was waiting for the restrictions to ease up.

I have heard that many of the food service workers are much happier with the $600.00 a week unemployment than going back to their generally lower wages.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:03 AM

I have a couple of medical procedures that I need to prevent permanent damage (a dental thing for example).

Other from that, I'm not going anywhere. I've started shaving my head bald, as I sometimes do in the summer, and I use nail clippers to trim my own nails because I am an adult.

I would kill to get a decent Swedish massage and start going back to yoga class. I have a lot of back pain. But I'm not going out and risking getting or spreading the infection.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:08 AM

I might get a haircut as long as both of us are wearing a mask. A massage would make me feel comfortable but I cannot see myself lying face down into a head support on a massage bed that everyone else has been breathing into.

Other than those I can live without them for at least a month after the state of Michigan opens up. I'll be eyeing how other states are doing two weeks after Memorial Day very closely.

Last edited by Si Amigo; 05-19-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:30 AM

I don't feel safe doing anything yet. I cut my own hair a couple of weeks ago and have a appointment in June but I'm not sure if I'll keep it. I'm a month past due for a dental cleaning and I don't feel safe doing that either.
I guess I'm pretty much going to live as I did when things were still shut down. I know there will be a spike in cases here in Ohio but want to see how bad before I venture out beyond work and the grocery store.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"-Diderot
Old 05-19-2020, 08:34 AM

I have a standing haircut appointment in another week and a half, and I think I'm going to keep it. (my hairdresser and I scheduled them every 5 weeks for a 2 year period) My hairdresser is back at work and wearing masks, etc.... Plus, I've gone something like 15 weeks without a haircut- I was due for one the Friday after I started working from home and lockdown started back in mid-March. I have high school kid mop hair now if I comb it that way. Otherwise it's very Ron Burgundy-esque.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:48 AM

I shaved my head and face a few weeks ago. I'll probably do that again when it grows back enough to be aggravating or weird looking. So yeah, open up all you want, I'm waiting to see what transpires.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:56 AM

Unlike the maniacs in Wisconsin who immediately squeezed into crowded bars as soon as the state mandate was lifted, I am going to take a wait-and-see approach to most things. I figure the people in Georgia, Texas, Wisconsin, etc. are the "canaries in the coal mine". I'll see if they drop dead before I make any serious lifestyle changes. I'm already reading reports of increased numbers in Georgia and Texas, and it hasn't been that long. In a month, we'll know.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:06 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I'd get a haircut if I needed one. I just got an email yesterday from my salon about their new setup and it seems extremely cautious and I like that. They even have "no talk shampooing" because that's when you're closest to your stylist. Of course, I bought $150 worth of gift cards from them already so they have my money. And I don't need a cut yet, I got one in March on the last day.

I do desperately need an electrolysis appointment. My chinny chin chin is getting wooly. I actually was just about to say I am so vain and desperate that I'll go. However I just realized I can pluck it myself now and in 6 weeks try again. I think I'll do that. Electrolysis, especially facial, is basically mouths 6" apart and one of us can't wear a mask while she works.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Getting a haircut on Saturday, the 23rd. My barber and I will both be wearing masks. I'm comfortable with it if she is. We are also having a small gathering for Mrs. Lebeef's birthday on Saturday. 8 people including us, in a large backyard with plenty of room of social distance.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I have a haircut booked for June 25 at the salon my wife uses. I know that they are taking the precautions that can be taken. I need a haircut. We live near a reservoir controlled by the city. I want to get back on it with our kayaks which seems like a safe activity.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanceylebeef View Post
My barber and I will both be wearing masks. I'm comfortable with it if she is.
Do you indeed know that she is comfortable with it?

I've chatted with people who are going back to work not because they are comfortable with it, but because financially they are unable to not return to work. Unemployment compensation doesn't continue if your boss asks you to return.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:31 AM

I had my hair cut and colored last week. Stylist wore a mask the whole time and I held my mask up to my face the whole time. She works in a separate room, not a big open salon. When you arrive, you text her, and she texts you when you can come in. There is no waiting area. I've seen her every 5 weeks for years, and I'm going back on that schedule.

I also had a pedicure at a different place. It's a tiny, neighborhood salon with only one person doing pedicures. There are only ever five or six people (operators and clients) in the place at one time. Everyone wore a mask. The management was VERY strict. I wore my mask and the pedicurist wore hers the whole time.

In the past, I've gotten regular facials, but I'm definitely NOT ready for those yet. I don't do facial waxing or micro-dermabrasion, but I would not even consider those yet. For one thing, the client can't wear a mask, and the operator is right there in your face, which is not the case with hair styling or definitely with a pedicure. I'd shove those to the back burner for a long time -- just my 2 cents.

I was scheduled for a mammogram back in March when all of this hit the fan and I've postponed it several times. Now it's scheduled for mid-June and this time, I'm going to keep the appointment. I don't feel great about going into any medical facility, but I really want to get this done. I had breast cancer and a lumpectomy 5 years ago. I've also had a biopsy (negative, thank God) since then, and I want to keep up my annuals. At this point, after what will be three months of lockdown, I expect medical offices to totally have their protective procedures firmly in place. Five years after diagnosis is a significant milestone and I want to get that under my belt (or bra strap anyway)!

I had coffee this morning at a neighborhood coffee shop-- ordered and paid on my phone. Sat outside-- there was no indoor seating allowed. Four people were working in the shop and one of them was not wearing a mask. Two other people sat outside together, not wearing masks. I took my mask off while I was sitting and drinking, but put it on when I went back inside to wash my hands.

I'm going to ask my cleaning lady to start coming again... but not next week. Maybe by the first week of June. I feel antsy about it. I need to ask her if her church has started meeting in person again. If it has, I may have to rethink the whole thing. Her congregation is a group that I'm guessing will not be as compliant with masks/distancing as they ought to be. If I decide to have her come, when she arrives, I'll leave (which was always my practice in the past) and walk down to that coffee shop and hang out til she leaves my house.

Lord... it gets exhausting, right? But the consequences of ignoring this and going back to life/business as usually are too risky to disregard. Blech
Old 05-19-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I had coffee this morning at a neighborhood coffee shop-- ordered and paid on my phone. Sat outside-- there was no indoor seating allowed.
Were they using paper cups and plates? A local restaurant owner told me that when they are permitted to open with outdoor seating (they have a deck) they will have to provide disposable single-use menus, paper plates, etc. Absolutely no dish washing. She said they are going to do a picnic theme.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Were they using paper cups and plates? A local restaurant owner told me that when they are permitted to open with outdoor seating (they have a deck) they will have to provide disposable single-use menus, paper plates, etc. Absolutely no dish washing. She said they are going to do a picnic theme.
Yes, paper cups.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

None whatsoever. We are very much the "Wait and see" type. Too many redneck yahoos in this town for us to risk being anywhere they congregate.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
None whatsoever. We are very much the "Wait and see" type. Too many redneck yahoos in this town for us to risk being anywhere they congregate.
That's our take right now as well. I'm dying to get back in the gym but dare not. Certainly going to continue teleworking because there is no way in hell I'm getting on the metro and sitting in the office with a mask all day long. I miss going to the grocery store but my wife has the ordering thing down to a science so we have more than enough food and lacking for nothing. Can't sail because charter companies are still closed and I'm not sure how much I trust their ability to disinfect all surfaces when they re-open. I mean, I wouldn't stay in a hotel or rent a car for the same reason right now.

THE thing that I'm really struggling with is the fact that our son will eventually have leave to come home from where he's stationed and we're dying to see him, BUT he's a Navy medic and while he's not been infected, he may have been exposed, and we just don't want to end up literally 'dying to see him'. This fucking sucks.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
THE thing that I'm really struggling with is the fact that our son will eventually have leave to come home from where he's stationed and we're dying to see him, BUT he's a Navy medic and while he's not been infected, he may have been exposed, and we just don't want to end up literally 'dying to see him'. This fucking sucks.
Yep. My daughter (a nurse) and her fiance (an MD) just bought a house. I've seen pictures, but haven't visited. They're about a two hour drive away. I'd love to go see them and their new house, but no.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:43 AM

Nothing yet, but once things are allowed I'm ready for a haircut and a message. I'm not worried about either. Washington State is being pretty careful, so once things open up, I'll be comfortable with the risks.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I'm looking forward to driving to places where the Firebug and I can go hiking. There was really no covid-related reason why we couldn't have done that anyway.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I could go for a restaurant with outdoor seating, as long as there was reasonable spacing between the tables, and as long as the seating wasn't next to a public sidewalk.

I'm still kinda iffy about getting a haircut. It's not so much whether my stylist and I are wearing masks (non-negotiable AFAIAC), but whether there've been other people in that room recently who weren't wearing their masks or careless with them.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:03 AM

I'm sticking to what we've been doing, because the only thing that's changed at this point is that there are open beds in the ICU. I have had to go back into my office to work, but we have guidelines for masks, social distancing, etc. that I'm quickly becoming the enforcer for. I give mask wearing lessons to anyone who gets within 20 feet of me.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:16 PM

Only thing planned is the calculated risk of a haircut, sometime in the next week or so. Other than that I'm staying away from the public as best I can (right now just one day of work-related exposure per week, and brief trips for groceries a couple times per week). I'll reconsider if or when I see the numbers in Texas actually declining.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

What I'm most looking forward to is getting a massage. I have a membership at Massage Envy and was scheduled for a session when they were shut down. Officially they're not allowed to open yet, but I just got an email from them about the safety measures they're going to be putting in place.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Same here. I live in redneck-central and they are giddy at the thought of going back to the bars and restaurants. I had to go out yesterday and it appeared as if things are nearly completely back to normal. Someday I will get back to the gym, but for now I'll live with my prison workouts and as much cycling as I can fit in.

I know some folks expect they will get infected so they don't really care too much. I DO NOT WANT TO GET INFECTED. I hate getting sick and this is a scary one with lots of unknowns.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
I need a manicure. I need a facial waxing. I would love a micro-dermabrasion and facial. But I don't feel brave enough for any of them. You?
I'm a guy so pretty much everything but that.

We're opening up restaurants for outside service in my state so last weekend I went to bar that had about 250 people scattered about within the 6 ft distancing guidelines. They can actually serve more people outside than inside.

Most of the bars with patios were packed with people and the 6 ft rule appeared to be measured by men.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
As a redneck yahoo, I believe you are being very wise.

I'll just be happy when one of my local convenience stores will once again let me bring in and fill my own coffee thermos rather than deal with their overpriced, tiny cups.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:06 PM

I visited some friends in a rural Northern CA county over the weekend, one of the counties that has recently "opened". It was pretty much just us except for 2 activities: we went to a pub and ordered food at a restaurant. The pub was pouring glasses of beer inside, and the line was spread-out with taped-off spacing, but all seating was outside on their lawn, with tables spread-out. The server was masked, but no one outside was (including 2 LEO who were strolling thru). It was actually quite nice sitting outside in the sun sipping a nice stout. The restaurant took orders inside and allowed outdoor seating out back on their patio, again with spaced-out tables. Their bathrooms were open. No one masked, not even the cashier (but was behind plexiglass).

I confess I was a little concerned and wary of others, and observant of everything, but decided to go along with the flow. I'll know in a couple weeks if I made a mistake, but if OK I am willing to try outdoor restaurant dining as long as precautions (me and them) are evident.

I shave face and head at home anyway so no changes there. A massage would be nice for me, but still only a nice-to-have and not a requirement. I did not really do much personal services before all this. A friend of mine was able to pick-up personalized hair color from her stylist and apply at home with her adult daughters, after watching some youtube about how-to.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:33 PM

My beaches are open, but the parking is closed. I'm hoping the parking opens up and I can hit the beach. Not to lay out all day or even swim (hell, it's only 51F today), but just take off my shoes and go for a long walk, splashing in the shallows.

I'm letting other people be the first wave back. Let's see how it goes. Are people going to be wearing masks? Stores going to enforce it?
Old 05-19-2020, 11:50 PM

I haven't decided what I would be comfortable with at this stage.

This week, Washington has allowed non-emergency medical procedures to start up. I had my dental cleaning scheduled for this week and they called me yesterday to see if I wanted to keep it.

Um yeah, I am in my 60's, don't have a car and would need to take a bus to the dental office, and then sit for about 30 minutes with my mouth wide open in a dental setting. We rescheduled it for July. They are still figuring out how it will all work. I don't want to be the guinea pig.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:51 PM

Nope. I'll reassess in about 3 weeks.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arles View Post
...Um yeah, I am in my 60's, don't have a car and would need to take a bus to the dental office, and then sit for about 30 minutes with my mouth wide open in a dental setting. We rescheduled it for July. They are still figuring out how it will all work. I don't want to be the guinea pig.
My completely unsolicited opinion: YIKES!

For a cleaning? I would put that off... well, probably indefinitely. Take a bus? No way. Many offices no longer have open waiting areas and are asking people to stay in their cars until appointment time. Where are you supposed to wait? On the sidewalk? They're "still figuring it out"?? Your instinct not to be the guinea pig-- listen to it. Skipping the cleaning for a few weeks/even months will not kill you. But a misstep out in public...
Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
My completely unsolicited opinion: YIKES!

For a cleaning? I would put that off... well, probably indefinitely. Take a bus? No way. Many offices no longer have open waiting areas and are asking people to stay in their cars until appointment time. Where are you supposed to wait? On the sidewalk? They're "still figuring it out"?? Your instinct not to be the guinea pig-- listen to it. Skipping the cleaning for a few weeks/even months will not kill you. But a misstep out in public...
I went to the dentist on April 3rd just outside of Detroit at the height of the outbreak due to an emergency (cracked filling). There were only three cars in the parking lot of the medical office building when I got there (including mine). It was strange to walk into an empty building and meet up with people who would be sticking their fingers in my mouth. They were a bit uncomfortable as well.

I second not going for just a cleaning. Especially if you have to take public transportation.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:41 AM

I'm keeping myself in self-isolation for a couple of reasons. if people were doing the right thing and acting smart, then there are many activities that should be perfectly safe. Unfortunately, there are far too many stupid people out there who don't care who they infect. I don't want to be an accidental victim of their stupidity. The other issue is that I also have to rely on the businesses doing the right thing, and following the right protocols. But I have little confidence in a for-profit enterprise doing so. And of course, there are certain risks all the time that a business, a restaurant as an example, isn't following the right protocol. For example, undercooking the chicken or making food without washing their hands. But COVID-19 requires much stricter adherence and the potential consequences are much higher. I'll feel better when there's a vaccine, but until then I'm only going out for essentials.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
This seems kind of silly. Is there any reason to think you can get COVID from a plate or cup that's been washed?

I'm probably going to get my hair cut soon. I'll find a barbershop with one barber who will wear a mask.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:57 PM
Elephant Whisperer

We'll get our hair cut as soon as we can. Barber shops and salons are reopening today on Kauai but not here on Oahu. Still, we're not too worried. Precautions will be taken, and it helps that Hawaii has gotten off relatively lightly -- 642 cases and 17 deaths to date.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
This seems kind of silly. Is there any reason to think you can get COVID from a plate or cup that's been washed?
Maybe it's to protect the dishwashers? I dunno.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:46 PM

My (conservative) inlaws are getting haircuts. Their attitude? "I know I'm putting myself at risk, but I can't stand my hair!" Well, what about putting the stylist at risk, and everyone they come in contact with?

I hate my hair, too, but I'm sticking with my Jack Black With A Hangover look, just to protect everyone.

I mean, why is "inconveniencing yourself for the common good" so hard for Americans?
Old 05-22-2020, 07:55 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
My (conservative) inlaws are getting haircuts. Their attitude? "I know I'm putting myself at risk, but I can't stand my hair!" Well, what about putting the stylist at risk, and everyone they come in contact with?

I hate my hair, too, but I'm sticking with my Jack Black With A Hangover look, just to protect everyone.

I mean, why is "inconveniencing yourself for the common good" so hard for Americans?
"The common good starts with me."

"There's no 'I' in team. But there is a 'me'."

Last edited by running coach; 05-22-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I find myself of two minds. As a Libertarian, I want to tell the government: F*CK YOU, we will do what we want, and if we get sick, that's our problem; my body, my choice! .
That's the attitude around here

but you have a brain bigger than most in my community
......I say if they want to do that fine just sign a paper saying if they get sick they get no financial assistance of any kind in getting over it even if they've signed up for public medical care Nordo they get any help in time off etc
they just have to tough it out

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-22-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

China more or less burned out covid because they locked down hard across the country.

US did lock down lite. While if flattened the curve, it didn't burn out covid. I am afraid we are going to have flare ups until the world is vaccinated. Will get the first hint in a week or so looking at Georgia, Florida and other's in the gotta open and protect the Dow zone.

I had to go to LA to sort out my eldest kid last weekend. I am very pleased to report that there was no pissing and moaning about wearing masks in the airports, on the plane, or in the super-markets. None of this "my rights" to infect others BS. (Eldest just needed Dad to get out of the rut, deep clean the apartment, stock the fridge and pantry, and have a "normal" life for 2 days to get back on track.)
Old 05-24-2020, 01:18 AM

I'm ready for a pedicure. But I am not ready, nor would I find it relaxing in the least, to sit around for an hour wearing a mask. While the person doing my pedi also wears a mask. Sometimes they did anyway--and the ones doing manicures always did--but I already can't understand what these people are saying.

So, I need to wait until I don't have to wear a mask.

Oh, and by the way, for all the people who want to say to wear a mask to protect others, not yourself: If you need protection from me because I am infectious then social distancing fails utterly. There is literally not the slightest chance that I have encountered in the last 16 days someone who could have given me germs. After this weekend that will change, but only somewhat.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

I'm with this. Yes I've been to a few stores, and I have to go to a home improvement store. Heat would be nice, our propane 'wood' stove went out, and I have to prep the area for a new one. I can deal with my hair.