Old 05-20-2020, 06:11 PM

Back in the '90s a coworker (low pay level) was dating a really rich guy (she was hot). She wanted to get him "the most expensive [something]" but was really limited in what she could afford. So she found a high-end jump rope. I think it was around $60. Nice jump rope, to begin with, but one of the handles measured your heart rate and the other one counted your jumps.

So you might think there is not a fancy version of a jump rope. Anyway I thought that. But there was! And now there are probably even better and fancier ones, if you look. But a regular old jump rope will still get the job done.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solost View Post
Ketchup. There are a million varieties of fancy mustard, but not really ketchup. According to a fairly well-known Malcolm Gladwell article, it's because the sweet, salty and acidic flavors of ordinary ketchup are already in perfect balance, crating a whole more than the sum of its parts, and can't really be improved upon. Or something like that, don't feel like re-reading the article but here it is:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...chup-conundrum
What you've never heard of Dijon Ketchup? (Probably spelled Catsup.)
Old 05-20-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
...Electronics too. Yeah you can get a bigger TV but what can you do to upgrade a gaming console, DVD player, phone etc? Cover it in gold and diamonds? There isn't some super fast PS4 out there you can buy for five figures....
Well sure, if you simply want to only be a console peasant.... Though even there, the whole experience is a lot snazzier with a bunch of speakers and a giant TV.

On the food part, there may not be rich people chicken and pork, but your local farmers market may have examples of both of those that go for 3-6 times per pound what a typical grocery pork chop or broiler does. Are they worth it? Ehhhh, depends on your budget. I'd say they taste different.

For sodas there's always stuff from foreign countries. The engineering that goes into some Japanese soft drinks is amazing. Not a repeat buy from me though.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Tiffany & Co has a whole line of normal stuff made expensive. Like a paper plate, except in sterling silver. Or a small set of LEGO-type building blocks in sterling silver and walnut.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I'm a dilettante-- I'd be happy with just these.
Ha, and did you see their Katana Scissors? Way over the top, especially the way they're presented meticulously wrapped, in a handmade wooden box.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
SpoilerVirgin I want to know more about your breakfast cereal collection. Do you do a blog or have a site?
I second this.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
What you've never heard of Dijon Ketchup? (Probably spelled Catsup.)
Wow, talk about life imitating art (I checked the article date and it's not April 1):
https://curiocity.com/vancouver/food...t-it-for-free/
Old 05-21-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps there's no fancy version of ketchup because sophisticated types don't eat it? Surely there are fancier sauces one would eat, possibly something based on one of the mother sauces. Or one's chef could prepare ketchup from scratch.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Perhaps there's no fancy version of ketchup because sophisticated types don't eat it? Surely there are fancier sauces one would eat, possibly something based on one of the mother sauces. Or one's chef could prepare ketchup from scratch.
Excuse me, do you have any Red Poupon?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a condition that would warrant a doctor visit

Last edited by solost; 05-21-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:46 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Quote:
Only if one of the partners is named Red.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Well, actually, there is an official USDA designation for "fancy ketchup", but it's not all that different from the stuff the proles consume:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...tchup-so-fancy

"...fewer specks and particles and less separation of the liquid/solid contents" than lesser ketchups, don't you know.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 05-21-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:50 PM

That reminds me, there was an historic diner in Sacramento (it just closed back in January) that had been in business since the 1930s. Behind the counter there were old wooden signs advertising "Fancy Jumbo Hotdogs 10", "Fancy Cheeseburgers 20", and "Fancy Cube Steak Sandwich 25". The sign says they're fancy, so it must be true, right?
Old 05-21-2020, 04:20 PM

Toilet brush.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
Toilet brush.
Wanna bet?
Old 05-21-2020, 05:45 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Quote:
Retail Price $985.00
$1,220.00
You Save 20%
Love the math.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:12 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Ah, but Nepalese spices make the glop wonderful. And then they put the glop in nice little buns...
Bullshit. No doubt Nepalese restaurants prettify their cuisines in restaurants in the US and elsewhere in the West, the same as other Asian cuisines do. But if you're in Nepal, you'll be eating Indian, Italian even (there was an excellent Italian restaurant in Kathmandu), anything but Nepalese.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:27 PM

My single experience with a Nepalese restaurant in the US was that the menu was essentially a mix of Indian and Chinese style dishes, which made sense to me at the time with me having no prior experience with Nepalese food and considering where Nepal is.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Mens Underwear
$3.20 a pair, common cotton
$24 a pair, Modal blend
$48 a pair, Merino wool

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-21-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Here are $84 Italian briefs made of Egyptian cotton.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
$24 a pair, Modal blend
$48 a pair, Merino wool

I hate to keep using my wife as an example, but she finally got tired of my $5 underwear. I think she's spending over $50 per pair now. I must say, they are super comfortable. I would not be surprised if the top end men's stores had underwear over $100/pr.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post

SpoilerVirgin I want to know more about your breakfast cereal collection. Do you do a blog or have a site?
I don't have a site, I just like to try most of the new varieties. I usually have at least 30 available at any one time. I'm down to only 28 because of the shelter in place, since now I can't get to Target (my prime source). I eat all of the cereal I buy, but I do save the front of every box for my collection. I have been known to spend a lot of time traveling in order to get hard-to-find cereals, and I have paid extra money to order particularly rare ones online (with cereal, paying $15 for a box is a serious commitment).

I also have a friend in Canada who sends me Canada exclusives (like Timbits, the Tim Horton's cereal). She actually works in the U.S., and just before the shutdown she bought a box of a new cereal and brought it to the office to mail to me, but didn't have a chance. Now the border has been closed for another 30 days, so my cereal is being held prisoner in Canada.

My favorite source for cereal news is Cerealously ("your most important blog of the day").
Old 05-21-2020, 08:09 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post

My favorite source for cereal news is Cerealously ("your most important blog of the day").
The fact something like that exists bowls me over.

I like it.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
...Some foods, but not others. There is rich people beef, seafood and alcohol. Not so much chicken, pork and soft drinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
There are, but they're more along the lines of small-time "artisanal" producers of chicken and pork, who often have heirloom breeds, etc...
Yup, I wanted to chime in that I've seen high-end chicken (small farm, heritage breed, pastured) and I have friends who buy high-end pork (similar) which they grill/smoke/etc.

Quote:
That's the catch- in lots of stuff, there are higher end options, but they're not *that* much higher end. For my vote on the OP's question, I'm going to nominate laundry detergent and dishwasher detergents. Somehow I doubt that the super-rich (or their servants) are using some sort of laundry detergent made from organic coconuts, or that they have some kind of special dishwasher detergent. Their undies are getting washed in Tide or Gain just like everyone else.
Er... I actually buy laundry detergent that makes fancy claims (although I notice their claims are less fancy than they used to be.)

EPA Safer Choice Certified
Leaping Bunny Certified
USDA Certified Biobased Product 96%
Contains no dyes or fragrances

https://www.seventhgeneration.com/co...ent-free-clear

On the other hand, I buy it at the supermarket, and it doesn't cost much more than any other laundry detergent. (And no one in my family is allergic to it!)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:57 PM

Bagels.

The best bagels are made in someone's kitchen in New York. The second best ones at small bakeries, often devoted either just to bagels, or to bagels, and a few other Jewish traditional things: challah bread, chamantashen for Purim, brick-fried matzah, babka, marble rye, Passover desserts.

The third best are made in Jewish kitchens around the world, and not quite as good as New York, but very, very good.

All the rest are crap.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:02 AM

Crocs - even if they're encrusted with diamonds and rubies, they're still crocs.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
$24 a pair, Modal blend
$48 a pair, Merino wool
Saxx's Kinetic line or Tommy John's Air line of men's underwear are for me, unfortunately worth the money. Goodbye to groin irritation while running in the swamp called Houston in the summertime. Thankfully, they go on sale enough that I can find them for 8-10 or so, and therefore don't have to spend the 45 bucks I've seen them for at Saks.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Love the math.
Looks weird but it's ultimately correct. $985 - 20% + the extra cost of the brass finish = $1220.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here are $84 Italian briefs made of Egyptian cotton.
Even more crazy expensive; $295 silk boxer shorts from Tom Ford.

As to the general question, there will always be things for those with more money than sense to spend their money on.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 05-22-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Tiffany & Co has a whole line of normal stuff made expensive. Like a paper plate, except in sterling silver. Or a small set of LEGO-type building blocks in sterling silver and walnut.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that stuff isn't actually made to be used; I mean, they have a silver ball of string; that's meant to be a knick-knack since it can't actually be used. Same for the paper plate.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Bagels.

The best bagels are made in someone's kitchen in New York. The second best ones at small bakeries, often devoted either just to bagels, or to bagels, and a few other Jewish traditional things: challah bread, chamantashen for Purim, brick-fried matzah, babka, marble rye, Passover desserts.

The third best are made in Jewish kitchens around the world, and not quite as good as New York, but very, very good.

All the rest are crap.
I agree, but rich people can get the good ones flown in from NYC.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Er... I actually buy laundry detergent that makes fancy claims (although I notice their claims are less fancy than they used to be.)

EPA Safer Choice Certified
Leaping Bunny Certified
USDA Certified Biobased Product 96%
Contains no dyes or fragrances

https://www.seventhgeneration.com/co...ent-free-clear

On the other hand, I buy it at the supermarket, and it doesn't cost much more than any other laundry detergent. (And no one in my family is allergic to it!)
That's my point- even the "high end" laundry detergent is sold in grocery stores, and is more about environmental friendliness rather than some perceived higher degree of luxury.

And I bet dishwasher detergent is even more common; I mean, Cascade Platinum and Finish Quantum are about as high-end as it gets, and they're common as dirt.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:02 PM

Several years ago there was a NY Times article about the universal love for the mini pigs-in-a-blanket hors d'oeuvres, which caterers get asked to provide at fancy Hamptons parties. Some tried to luxe them up by using duck sausage and phyllo dough or whatever, but in the end, what people want is cocktail weenies in pop 'n fresh dough. So they renamed that "sausage en croute" to make them seem more worthy of the price.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solost View Post
Ketchup. There are a million varieties of fancy mustard, but not really ketchup.
Somebody left us a bottle of "no corn syrup" ketchup once after a bbq. I've also had ketchup with grilled onions added. Neither were any better than the original.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Straight peanut butter. Nothing added to make it "gourmet".
I not sure if you'd call it gourmet but I did see a store selling fresh ground peanut butter.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:38 PM

Drill bits or saw blades? Hand tools? There's some expensive ones out there to be sure but I can't imagine any super rich hobbyists to be using something any fancier than the guys at the local dealership or cabinet shop might have around.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

With that sort of thing (hand tools, drill bits, saw blades, etc), the high end stuff is the stuff the professionals use. There's no fancy version of the stuff because those aren't really rich people hobbies.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2500 View Post
Drill bits or saw blades? Hand tools? There's some expensive ones out there to be sure but I can't imagine any super rich hobbyists to be using something any fancier than the guys at the local dealership or cabinet shop might have around.
The cabinet shop has a big CNC router, something like this. It costs about that of a mid-range car when you've added all the accessories.

There's very little it can do that someone with a $100 router from Home Depot can't, except that it requires 1/100th the labor. A rich hobbyist could certainly afford one, and allow concentrating on the fun parts of the hobby instead of the tedious parts.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
The cabinet shop has a big CNC router, something like this. It costs about that of a mid-range car when you've added all the accessories.

There's very little it can do that someone with a $100 router from Home Depot can't, except that it requires 1/100th the labor. A rich hobbyist could certainly afford one, and allow concentrating on the fun parts of the hobby instead of the tedious parts.
I was speaking of hand tools and tooling. In that regard there is definately both low and high end stuff, but I don't know if it would be high end enough to be considered fancy.

Production machines can break into the millions, easily.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I not sure if you'd call it gourmet but I did see a store selling fresh ground peanut butter.
Shoot, the hippy-dippy health food store I used to patronize in Charlottesville in the early 1980s did that. When you bought their natural PB, they'd pour peanuts into the hopper right in front of you, turn on the grinder, and out would come fresh, warm, totally natural PB. Loved eating it right away while it was still warm, and it had the best texture and mouthfeel. And it didn't cost much more than the PB in the grocery stores.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The pro mechanics tend to be the ones using the expensive tools like Snap-On, since they use the damn things daily for their livelihood and a broken tool means downtime when they're not earning (plus skinned knuckles). So you're right, the rich guys who want tools for home just buy the stuff that the pros use.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
See, it's ultra-pure because of all those impurities! (hilariously, this product also carries a California Prop. 65 warning, apparently due to the lead content)
It may be that the maker can't be arsed enough to pay the money to test the stuff to prove there's no lead in it needed to get rid of a label that no one pays any attention to.

Last edited by DesertDog; 05-23-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I have a wealthy friend (Simon) who is a pretty good craftsman. He visited a guy (Tom) who is an excellent craftsman, top of the (specialized) field, and makes a lot of money selling stuff he's made. Simon said he was hoping to learn Tom's secret when he toured the workshop. But there were the same tools he had, and in many cases, cheaper tools than he had. Tom's secret sauce is his skill and attention to detail.

So, yeah, hobbyists sometimes buy more expensive stuff than pros. But not a lot more expensive.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Not as expensive but it is fancy

https://altanrobotech.com/product/giddel/
Old 05-23-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I have a wealthy friend (Simon) who is a pretty good craftsman. He visited a guy (Tom) who is an excellent craftsman, top of the (specialized) field, and makes a lot of money selling stuff he's made. Simon said he was hoping to learn Tom's secret when he toured the workshop. But there were the same tools he had, and in many cases, cheaper tools than he had. Tom's secret sauce is his skill and attention to detail.

So, yeah, hobbyists sometimes buy more expensive stuff than pros. But not a lot more expensive.
You've got me imagining a top notch mechanic visiting Leno's garage, im sure its impressive as all hell.

I'd spend a weeks vacation just to go stare at his motorcycles from across the street if I could.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
You've got me imagining a top notch mechanic visiting Leno's garage, im sure its impressive as all hell.

I'd spend a weeks vacation just to go stare at his motorcycles from across the street if I could.
I think the point is that Leno wouldn't be using some sort of boutique French wrenches to work on his cars- at best, he'd be using Snap-On, Cornwell, MAC or Matco, which is what a lot of professional mechanics and racing mechanics use. Or maybe Facom, Hazet, Stahlwille or Wera, if he wants to go European, but they're not higher quality than the US made ones.

I think the difference is that since a lot of pros are having to deal with the price/performance angle trying to make a profit, they may not have an entire tool set made of high-end tools. They may have say... Snap-On for the ones they use constantly, but they may also have a set of Craftsman or Kobalt tools that get used infrequently. Adequate, but not the best. But a wealthy hobbyist might just have ALL Snap-On tools just because they can.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Actually, I'll bet that Snap-On or one of its competitors supplied Jay Leno's garage with a free full set of tools, just because it's so high visibility.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I think the point is that Leno wouldn't be using some sort of boutique French wrenches...
Now I'm imagining Jay has a special handmade French wrench for his Citroen, and an Italian one for his Lamborghini, and so forth.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Actually, I'll bet that Snap-On or one of its competitors supplied Jay Leno's garage with a free full set of tools, just because it's so high visibility.
Or if nothing else, a big, conspicuously branded tool box!
Old 05-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Quote:
I think the point is that Leno wouldn't be using some sort of boutique French wrenches...
Now I'm imagining Jay has a special handmade French wrench for his Citroen, and an Italian one for his Lamborghini, and so forth.
I could see that some of the antique cars, or some of the exotic modern cars, require special tools to service them. The New York Times casually mentioned, in an article about the new Bugatti Chiron, that only two machines in the world can change the tires on a Bugatti Veyron.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 05-26-2020 at 05:17 PM.