Old 12-14-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
"An army" is awfully small, on the galactic or cosmic scale. Yes, the planets he's "helped" before know who he is, but that was a fairly small proportion, before the Gauntlet.
He destroyed Xander in order to get the first (Power) stone. Thats no small feat.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
He’s got an entire army/cult following him. And the marketing plan has been going on for some time now - Gamora’s home world was an early market. Thanos is known and feared throughout the galaxy. We didn’t know about him on earth, because we’re a backwater. His plans and methods are pretty well known on the planets that matter, and he’s got the organization in place to let people know what just hrappened, and why.
Did her planet get hit by the Great Halving*, or was it grandfathered because it had already been taken care of?

*My head-canon term for the Decimation.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
OOT: Thanos hasn't realized that life has a way of coming back; humanity recovered from disasters such as the Black Plague just fine, and we can assume the same to have happened in many other worlds through the Multiverse. He doesn't want to do it again because he doesn't have the imagination to think he'll need to do it again: he truly and sincerely believes that by killing half the Universe he's solved the Universe's problems (talk about someone who needs to lay down the absinthe!).
I think his thinking isn't that life can't rebuild, but that his action will become etched into the memory of every remaining living being and serve as an unforgettable warning to every culture. It won't solve every problem forever by itself, but will instead shape the minds of the survivors in a way that it won't be necessary to repeat.

I mean, it's not RIGHT, but that's the thought process that I interpret.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:46 AM

The new Spider-Man trailer is out. I'm assuming the movie takes place prior to Infinity War / Endgame, but I don't know if that's been stated officially anywhere.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
He destroyed Xander in order to get the first (Power) stone. Thats no small feat.
Meh. Xandar's defenses couldn't stop a single Kree battleship without help.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:29 AM

I believe the official word is the opposite -- it takes place after Endgame. Its existence is proof (like we need any) that heroes WILL be un-dusted in the course of Endgame.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:53 PM

New teaser for Avengers: Endgame.

Also, there's something I got alerted to by a speculation video - the speculation itself doesn't matter, but it pointed out something I hadn't noticed before.
In the first trailer, in the zinger where Scott Lang shows up at the gate, look at the display, on the top left. It's at 2:10 in the link I've posted.
SPOILER:
It definitely says "Archive" up there, and the number before may well be, as the spec site claimed, "1983". And yet Natasha confirms to Steve that it's live footage...

Could be a mistake, could be something really weird.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:58 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I'm not buying it. He's got the van in the footage. I don't see how the van can go through the time vortex with him.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I'm not buying it. He's got the van in the footage. I don't see how the van can go through the time vortex with him.
Good point - still, it's damned odd. One way or another, they'll have some 'splainin to do.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:30 PM

Yeah, I agree that it's old footage. But it might just be a few months or so old. We don't know how long it took Cap and Nat to get from Wakanda to Avengers HQ. So Lang might have been there a few weeks or months ahead of them. It provides them an incentive to go looking.

Lang is listed earlier in the trailer as 'Missing' and likely presumed snapped. So finding out he was around could snap them into action.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:05 PM

Natasha doesn't say it's "live", she says it's the front door. That said, it makes no sense for it to be from 1983 and Scott saying that they met "a few years ago". You'd need for Scott to make it out of the Quantum realm and get to Avengers HQ without realizing that it's nearly 40 years in the past and somehow bring the van with him. I'd suspect that the 1983 refers to something else, maybe not a year identifier.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 PM

Not to mention it would have to be old footage that survived 35 years and could still be played back.

I can see the tech issues now. Cap saying, "I don't understand this modern stuff" and Nat saying "God, this is ancient."
Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 PM

...and, if nothing else, in 1983 there would have been, at best, a Stark warehouse at that location. It'd be unlikely that they kept that footage when they refurbished.

Nevermind.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 PM

Remember that Marvel isn't above editing the actual footage for trailers. They know people are gonna dig for clues and won't show anything they don't want to. Remember the Hulk in the Infinity War trailer?
Old 02-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Minor thought - looks like Cap gets his shield back, after it being confiscated in Civil War. Wonder if it's Secretary Ross who will give it back?
If so, I'd expect it to be with the words "I still think I was right, but we need you now".
Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 PM

Or, secretary Ross got dusted and his replacement is much more Cap-friendly.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:13 PM

Tony took the shield, it wouldn't go anywhere near Ross.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:45 PM

Actually, Cap's shield was last seen when Cap was taken into custody - Everett Ross (CIA guy) directed it to be put in lockup, along with Falcon's wings. Presumably they're in the hands of the US government, at present.
...which reminded me of something, when I reviewed that scene. Falcon's wings were locked up also; so where did he get the wings he was using in Infinity War? I suppose the Wakandans could've knocked him up a set, and they just never mentioned it.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Actually, Cap's shield was last seen when Cap was taken into custody - Everett Ross (CIA guy) directed it to be put in lockup, along with Falcon's wings. Presumably they're in the hands of the US government, at present.
...which reminded me of something, when I reviewed that scene. Falcon's wings were locked up also; so where did he get the wings he was using in Infinity War? I suppose the Wakandans could've knocked him up a set, and they just never mentioned it.
Nevermind, I've just remembered Cap dropping his shield on Tony after their missile silo fight
Christ, I need to stop posting in this thread.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:13 PM

Tony specifically told him it wasn't his because his dad made it.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Tony took the shield, it wouldn't go anywhere near Ross.
But Tony's adrift in space talking to his hat. Who gave Cap the shield back?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
But Tony's adrift in space talking to his hat. Who gave Cap the shield back?
Either Roddy or Pepper I would imagine. Aren't they hanging out at Avengers tower now? he could just grabbed it.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Also worth noting it was the old shield with buckles, not the magnetized one he'd been using since Age of Ultron.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Were they the same wings? I think the wings from Civil War weren't his original wings - they had all these cool abilities, like forming a tower shield, that we didn't see in Winter Soldier or Infinity War. I bet Tony made them for him, and the wings he had as a fugitive were his old wings, which he had stashed somewhere.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 AM

I figured the wings were at the raft and they took it when he busted Falcon out.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I figured the wings were at the raft and they took it when he busted Falcon out.
That's one of the dumbest comic book tropes ever. "Let's keep the super-villain's super-powered highly illegal equipment in the same high security facility he's improsoned in!"
Old 02-05-2019, 06:30 PM

...I like how Winter Soldier handled it.
Black Widow literally just stole the prototype Falcon wings off camera with one line of dialogue.

For real...do people care how they got their equipment back. It's not like it was lost in a black hole. It was in a locker somewhere. ::Shrug::
Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 AM

The first Guardians of the Galaxy was the worst case of this - sure, they had Star Prince's personal effects (like his walkman) at the Kyln, but why would they transport/store his spaceship there?