Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Well, yes, Andy L, but you know all of these, and are usually the one getting the answers.

And more detail on Mushroom Planet, the ship the boys built was made out of wood, but the alien they met paints over it with some sort of resin that cures into an ultra-strong and airtight material. IIRC, he had put out an ad in the newspaper asking for help from someone who could build him a rocket.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Id this fiendish story!

A man is sculpting a giant mushroom into a woman. As the job is finished, either the sculptor or a friend of his sees this beautiful fungoid woman, and throws himself at her, biting into her flesh. . . and promptly dying. Poor guy. . . she was actually a toadstool!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Luana by Gilbert Thomas, 1965

https://archive.org/stream/MerrilEdT...0SF12_djvu.txt
Old 01-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Luana by Gilbert Thomas, 1965 . . .
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:54 PM

Well, it was quite early in the day.

Meant for Chronos and Andy L.

Last edited by tripthicket; 01-15-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 PM

There's a story I remember reading as a kid in the 80s, the plot is about aliens invading and conquering Earth to plunder it.

I'm sure the remaining humans were reasonably primitive, there were no resistance fighters toting laser guns. It's far enough in the future that when they stumble upon some forgotten weaponry, they don't know what USAF means.

Eventually the aliens leave, having had their fill of whatever they took from Earth. The protagonist though, manages to kill one of the alien's highers up in one on one combat.

Two things that stick out. The humans bring down an alien drone of some sort, breaking it apart it appears to be half machine-half living creature. Also, the alien killed by the protagonist has a bit of a chat with him, and a translation machine reveals that the aliens call humans "rats" and they actually translate the word human as rat when the protagonist tries to correct him.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkin View Post
There's a story I remember reading as a kid in the 80s, the plot is about aliens invading and conquering Earth to plunder it.

I'm sure the remaining humans were reasonably primitive, there were no resistance fighters toting laser guns. It's far enough in the future that when they stumble upon some forgotten weaponry, they don't know what USAF means.

Eventually the aliens leave, having had their fill of whatever they took from Earth. The protagonist though, manages to kill one of the alien's highers up in one on one combat.

Two things that stick out. The humans bring down an alien drone of some sort, breaking it apart it appears to be half machine-half living creature. Also, the alien killed by the protagonist has a bit of a chat with him, and a translation machine reveals that the aliens call humans "rats" and they actually translate the word human as rat when the protagonist tries to correct him.
Maybe one of the Huntsman Trilogy by Douglas Hill? It sounds a bit like the last book in the series - Alien Citadel.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:27 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

The title I'm looking for is set in the contemporary 1960s. There are tunnel networks under cities, with entrances in basements. There are bad guys called elves living in the tunnels. The protagonist enters the tunnels to rescue a woman. An hallucinogenic fungus grows in the tunnels that the elves eat. I recall someone reading tea leaves.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
Here's one I asked about once before. A guy has telekinetic powers, and at the end of the story he visits the president and makes demands. As he walks out the door, he gets his head bashed in with a hammer. I think it's really old.
Got it! "The Most Powerful Tailor in the World" by Michael Crichton. Appeared in Playboy Sept, 71. If it helps jog your memory that was the same issue that featured the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers game "Feds and Heads".
Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaebig View Post
Maybe one of the Huntsman Trilogy by Douglas Hill? It sounds a bit like the last book in the series - Alien Citadel.
From what I'm reading of it, it sounds like it is, thanks.

My local library must have had a lot of his books in stock, I remember reading his legionary series as a kid too.

Last edited by Pushkin; 02-12-2019 at 01:49 PM.