Old 11-15-2018, 06:30 PM

You know, Cecile isn't Iris' mother. She was introduced to the West family later in life, so there no reason why she'd know all those stories about Iris' past. With Jesse L. Martin's absence, they probably gave all of Joe's lines to Cecile. In a way, that scene of Cecile talking to Nora about Iris was made even more effective since it works in the context of mother-daughter relationships.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 PM

Kinda disappointing they didn't get Gail Simone to write the Ragdoll episode, but...it came out well. He was nicely creepy, even if not in the gleeful chaos way of Gail's Ragdoll. (And not having Gail to write it, I'm glad they didn't try to make him too much like hers - as much as I like Gates, who cowrote the episode, I don't think they could pull it off.)

I'm glad Iris and Nora are both being less bratty (yes, both of them)...that whole thing was making the scenes with either of them kind of insufferable.

SPEAKING OF INSUFFERABLE...is it me, or have they dialed back Sherloque's accent? I mean, it's still terrible, but it's less annoyingly so.

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 11-15-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

With a stretchy villain, I expected Ralph to factor in sooner / more (though I guess it wasn't too much longer after they figured it out)

Brian
Old 11-20-2018, 08:04 AM

S05E06: The Icicle Cometh

The Icicle Cometh promo: https://youtu.be/i9f5gYskSg8

CAITLIN LEARNS SOMETHING NEW ABOUT HER FATHER - Caitlin, Barry and Cisco learn something new about Caitlin's father (guest star Kyle Secor). Meanwhile, Iris and Sherloque follow a clue about Cicada.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:24 AM

Thank goodness Nora and Iris have bonded, not just with Nora including Iris in her hero worship but also in their mutual annoyance at Sherloque. I noticed the latter swinging a pendant or pocket watch or pendulum around. Is that the new thing, instead of drumsticks?

Papa Joe is still MIA. They at least gave an excuse this time as him being out for a walk with the baby. That was some walk. It lasted long enough for Cecile and Ralph to conduct a full investigation into the shady activities at the Central City FEMA site. Does the local government maintain the site full time, since they know the city regularly gets blown up? Anyway, it gave Cecile a chance to be funny with Ralph.

I'm glad Killer Frost is back. Now for Cisco to get his mojo back as well.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Thank goodness Nora and Iris have bonded, not just with Nora including Iris in her hero worship but also in their mutual annoyance at Sherloque. I noticed the latter swinging a pendant or pocket watch or pendulum around. Is that the new thing, instead of drumsticks?

Papa Joe is still MIA. They at least gave an excuse this time as him being out for a walk with the baby. That was some walk. It lasted long enough for Cecile and Ralph to conduct a full investigation into the shady activities at the Central City FEMA site. Does the local government maintain the site full time, since they know the city regularly gets blown up? Anyway, it gave Cecile a chance to be funny with Ralph.

I'm glad Killer Frost is back. Now for Cisco to get his mojo back as well.
The out-of-character actions of Kaitlin really disturbed me. I know its comic-book trope not to believe each other, but dammit, when Cisco raised his reservations about Papa Snow, I would have thought that she'd believe him immediately. It was just so out of place for her to immediately condemn him as wrong.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:29 AM

Barry's relationship with his parents (and surrogate parents) have been a constant theme of the show. Barry with his father in prison. Barry with Joe. Barry with Wellsobard. This season introduced Nora and her relationships with Barry and Iris. Nora's hero worship of her long-lost father is mirrored by Caitlin's relationship with her long-lost father. It is understandable that Caitlin wanted to believe the best of of her father. We the viewers, of course, knew better, especially after he name dropped Louise Lincoln (Killer Frost 2) and Victor Fries (Mr. Freeze).
Old 11-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Dammit, Netflix hasn't put the new episode up, yet. This is frustrating.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Dammit, Netflix hasn't put the new episode up, yet. This is frustrating.
Doesn't the CW itself offer a way to view the episode, the day after it's broadcast?
Old 11-23-2018, 10:47 PM

Those things tend to be region locked, and Netflix is the official first-run licensee up here, so not for me. I need to wait for Netflix to get off their butt, and hope this isn't it getting pushed back further from the CW airing.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Those things tend to be region locked, and Netflix is the official first-run licensee up here, so not for me. I need to wait for Netflix to get off their butt, and hope this isn't it getting pushed back further from the CW airing.
I didn't realize you weren't in the US. Yeah, region-locking is a big pain.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:14 PM

I've looked into it, and apparently the season wasn't licensed all at once at the beginning, but Netflix Canada is licensing it as each episode airs on the CW, and they weren't able to license this one immediately for some reason. So it doesn't look good for catching up again until the next time CW takes a week off.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:45 AM

S05E07: O Come, All Ye Faithful

O Come, All Ye Faithful promo: https://youtu.be/sJi-k2Em3nU

THANKSGIVING - While Nora grapples with unresolved anger over her father's disappearance in the future, Barry and Team Flash must stop a powerful new meta, Weather Witch (guest star Reina Hardesty), from killing her own father, Weather Wizard (guest star Liam Mcintyre).
Old 11-28-2018, 12:00 AM

If the Flash had the time to run the Weather Wizard from Iron Heights to S.T.A.R. Labs, surely he could have just run the Weather Witch instead. We could have avoided all that drama with the hologram and then the lightning-tornado. (Granted the latter was cool.) But I guess Nora needed a teaching moment about being a superhero.

This episode builds upon the theme of family and parent-child relationships. Nora and her parents. Weather Witch and Weather Wizard. Cicada and Grace, who is not his daughter but his niece. Cicada doesn't seem smart enough to be a particularly effective super villain. I'm going to guess that the doctor is the real brains.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
If the Flash had the time to run the Weather Wizard from Iron Heights to S.T.A.R. Labs, surely he could have just run the Weather Witch instead. We could have avoided all that drama with the hologram and then the lightning-tornado. (Granted the latter was cool.) But I guess Nora needed a teaching moment about being a superhero.
And Nora could have carried each of the civilians out of the hangar and to safely before the confrontation with Weather Witch ("I'll allow it")

Quote:
This episode builds upon the theme of family and parent-child relationships. Nora and her parents. Weather Witch and Weather Wizard. Cicada and Grace, who is not his daughter but his niece. Cicada doesn't seem smart enough to be a particularly effective super villain. I'm going to guess that the doctor is the real brains.
Would transfer of a little kid to the custody of her uncle prompt some sort of home inspection by child services (particularly after his irate phone call insisting that he didn't want her)?
Old 11-28-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Would transfer of a little kid to the custody of her uncle prompt some sort of home inspection by child services (particularly after his irate phone call insisting that he didn't want her)?
I'm going to fanwank this by saying CPS is possibly swamped by all the crazy speedstar attacks, metahumans, and particle accelerator explosions happening in Central City.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I'm going to fanwank this by saying CPS is possibly swamped by all the crazy speedstar attacks, metahumans, and particle accelerator explosions happening in Central City.
Good point. CPS must be overwhelmed.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
And wouldn't her school know what she'd been through, and been a little more sympathetic? Also, I doubt if yelling "rat bastard" at another kid is enough to rate insisting a guardian come in for a conference during school hours. It seemed the principal was implying that Grace would be expelled if she didn't stop. Pretty sure they'd need more than that.

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that when Grace wakes up, she'll be a metahuman. Remember, Barry was in a coma too.

Re next week's trailer: I thought Barry wasn't going back in time any more. This strikes me as a terrible idea.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
Re next week's trailer: I thought Barry wasn't going back in time any more. This strikes me as a terrible idea.
Next week will be directed by Tom Cavanagh. It's the show's 100th episode, so of course Barry (and Nora) will be going back in time, terrible idea or not.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 PM

Netflix has caught up, so I got 2 episodes today. Huzzah.

Not much to say about the Icicle episode. (Except...am I forgetting something, or is this the first we've heard of the Killer Frost identity being named Khione? A name that doesn't have a comics antecedent that I can find, but is mythologically the daughter of the North Wind.)

Quote:
Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that when Grace wakes up, she'll be a metahuman.
In fact, after Orlin's last line, I'd say it's a 100% certainty.

Also...'All these metas, running around unchecked.' Aside, you know, from the GCPD and Team Flash. Who y'all have just guaranteed will be more overworked and distracted...or even, in a few cases outright killed. Great plan, guys. Really.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:28 AM

I feel like this last episode was a setup for Nora to sacrifice herself at some point to save people. ("I learned it from watching you, Dad!")
Old 11-30-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Not much to say about the Icicle episode. (Except...am I forgetting something, or is this the first we've heard of the Killer Frost identity being named Khione? A name that doesn't have a comics antecedent that I can find, but is mythologically the daughter of the North Wind.)
Khion also means snow in Greek. Khione may be the goddess of snow.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 AM

S05E08: What's Past Is Prologue

What's Past Is Prologue promo: https://youtu.be/sz8YKpjLU-8

TOM CAVANAGH DIRECTS THE 100TH EPISODE - In the 100th episode, Barry and Team Flash come up with a plan to stop Cicada. However, the plan calls for Barry and Nora to travel back in time to gather some key necessities. However, Barry hesitates, concerned about his daughter seeing certain parts of his life. Meanwhile, Sherloque takes his concerns about Nora to Iris, and Caitlin turns up a key asset in the fight against Cicada.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:55 AM

A pretty good look back at the previous 99 episodes. Particle accelerator explosion. Ronnie Raymond & Martin Stein. Cisco & Caitlin. Wellsobard. Zoom. Savitar. The Thinker. Time travel shenanigans. All so DawnNora could learn more stuff about her father that isn't in the Flash Museum. And Killer Frost saves the day.

The big question is, Wellsobard was supposed to have been derezzed when Eddie Thawne (where was he, by the way?) shot himself. So how is it he's in the future prison, talking to DawnNora? And don't forget, OG Thawne was also derezzed at the end of Legends Season 2, when Sara nullified the Spear of Destiny and unleashed the Black Flash. How many lives does Thawne have, anyway?

This is effectively the mid-season finale, before the show goes on hiatus, since next week is the Elseworlds three-way crossover between The Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl. Remember, Supergirl and The Flash technically switch broadcast days, though you'll really want to watch all three shows. In case you haven't seen it yet, I've started a separate thread for the crossover here.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 PM

Between Thawn, Barry, Nora, and the Legends (noteably Zari and John), it's remarkable that the timeline of Earth-1 even vaguely resembles stable, to be honest.

Hell, the way Thawn was defeated in season 1 should have shredded it into temporal confetti.

But, as that one screen said...Time is Maleable. It's apparently fixed the paradoxes by creating a version where Thawn's defeat ran differently, and he kept the Wells look.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:12 AM

I'm assuming that's the Wellsobard that survived the Earth-X crossover. Even if it doesn't make sense, I don't care because I will accept any excuse to have more Tom Cavanaugh as Thawne
Old 12-15-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I'm assuming that's the Wellsobard that survived the Earth-X crossover. Even if it doesn't make sense, I don't care because I will accept any excuse to have more Tom Cavanaugh as Thawne
Agreed. The combination of Thawne as Flash's arch-foe and Wells as Barry (and Cisco's) wise mentor makes for a compelling character. I loved the moment when Wellsobard is about to shake hands with past-Cisco using the same gesture that he uses just before killing someone with the hand-through-the-heart move.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:33 AM

I'd wondered how Nora had learned she was a speedster, since it wasn't from Iris. I'm guessing now that Thawne told her.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:20 PM

I'd say Thawne is pretty much behind everything Nora has done so far. Remember we first saw the Flash ring when Thawne used it to suit up very late in Season 1. This season, we see Nora give Barry a Flash ring. Where did she get it from?

In the comics, Thawne used to be the Flash's biggest fan in the future. He worked/will work at the Flash Museum to better study his hero. Nora worships her father as a hero. She studied his greatest triumphs at the Flash Museum, quite possibly at Thawne's instigation.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:29 AM

S05E10: The Flash & The Furious

The Scarlet Speedster returns tonight!

The Flash & The Furious promo: https://youtu.be/PeuH5wJ_shc
Extended trailer: https://youtu.be/lzqSdyVMq9Y

CAITLIN AND CISCO EMBARK ON A NEW JOURNEY - While Nora grapples with the revelation that Thawne killed her grandmother, Team Flash must stop the formidable team-up of a newly sprung from jail Weather Witch (guest star Reina Hardesty) and Silver Ghost (guest star Gabrielle Walsh), a new meta-tech villain who can control engines and motorized technology. Meanwhile, Caitlin and Cisco discuss creating a meta-human cure.

The trailers don't seem to have much to do with the synopsis. Word is that they're really for the back half of the season and show scenes from the next few episodes.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:46 PM

Another show returning the day after my birthday for me. Yay.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 PM

Heh. Unexpected crossover with Legends. Not just Beebo either, but something far more awesome and funnier. I like the idea that Mick Rory somehow becomes a best-selling author of trashy sci-fi erotic fiction.

So Weather Witch and Silver Ghost team up to steal the Batmobile from A.R.G.U.S. All so Nora could learn a life lesson about redemption. Unfortunately she's learning that lesson about the wrong person. I don't think Eobard Thawne can be redeemed, not while he's still has the face of Harrison Wells. Speaking of redemption, I noticed that Joss escaped with Silver Ghost, but never actually turned herself back in. They're going to go and form the New Rogues now, aren't they?

Caitlin and Cisco are off to find a cure for the meta-gene. We know that Marvel comics and movies exist in the Arrowverse, but apparently Cisco doesn't know about the X-Men. Because finding a cure for the X-gene never ends well for the mutants. What makes Cisco think that a cure for the meta-gene will have a better outcome when, say, A.R.G.U.S. gets ahold of it?

Quote:
Another show returning the day after my birthday for me. Yay.
Happy birthday!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 PM

Cisco and Cecile seemed way out of character. I guess Cecile's telepathy was throwing her off, but Cisco's mad desire for a meta-cure seemed out of nowhere - he may be feeling low, but he certainly has enjoyed having powers in the past, and the powers themselves have no downside (he's not radioactive like Fallout, or prone to turning evil like Killer Frost), and he knows plenty of people who are happy with their powers. Future Wellsobard may be good-ish now - I'm still unsure about him (he hasn't lied to Nora, so far as I can tell, yet).

I'm glad people occasionally remember that Gideon is a resource.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:10 AM

S05E11: Seeing Red

Seeing Red promo: https://youtu.be/XunvG9Lt_hM

CICADA SEVERELY INJURES NORA - During a battle with Cicada, Nora is severely injured. Due to Cicada's dampening powers, Nora's speed healing isn't working, leaving Barry and Iris scared for their daughter's future. Upset about his injured child, The Flash is filled with rage and confronts Cicada in a brutal battle. Meanwhile, Killer Frost keeps interfering with Caitlin's work on the cure.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 AM

Good episode, if somewhat predictable in its plot beats. I think one of its major points - a mole in the CCPD - could have used a little more foreshadowing earlier in the season. However that's a minor consideration, and they resolved it quite quickly within the same episode. They also resolved both Killer Frost's and Caitlin's problem with the meta-gene cure, in a manner that tied it with the fight against Cicada.

Cecille had a good idea, putting the metas in federal witness protection. It didn't involve the CCPD, so the mole wouldn't know where they'd gone. Then she blew it when she enlisted the cops to secure the transport route. She redeemed herself, at least, when she realized it in time to use her mistake to smoke him out.

Barry should take some training in unarmed combat. He and Kara could go to lessons together. They both rely on their powers too much, such that when they lose them, neither can fight worth for shit.

Cicada being allowed to escape, yet again, is getting a little tiresome. They really ought to be wrapping up that plotline soon. We know Eobard Thawne is in play; everyone wants to see what happens there.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 AM

That was so stupid. They had Cicada beat down and separated from his dagger. Barry should have immediately put him in metacuffs and dragged his ass to a cell at Star Labs. Don't leisurely stroll over to talk to your daughter who just showed up, while Frost is struggling to keep the dagger at bay. Totally idiotic.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
That was so stupid. They had Cicada beat down and separated from his dagger. Barry should have immediately put him in metacuffs and dragged his ass to a cell at Star Labs. Don't leisurely stroll over to talk to your daughter who just showed up, while Frost is struggling to keep the dagger at bay. Totally idiotic.
Agreed.

I did like the subplot with "snake guy"
Old 01-23-2019, 10:48 AM

P.S. How can it be hard to get the "open breach" button to work - it's a button!
Old 01-29-2019, 07:44 AM

S05E12: Memorabilia

Memorabilia promo: https://youtu.be/wjQi5OL6qT0

BARRY AND IRIS LOOK INTO NORA'S MEMORIES - When Sherloque wants to use a memory machine on Barry and Nora to help gain access to Grace's memories, Nora panics, fearing her parents will find out the secrets she's been keeping from them. Nora secretly decides to use the machine on her own which ends in disaster after she gets trapped inside Grace's mind. Barry and Iris go in after their daughter and Iris is brokenhearted by what she finds. Meanwhile, Ralph tricks Cisco into going out for a night out on the town.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 PM

Heh. The Flash phones in the future Flash museum have as their ringtone the theme from The Flash TV show.

I said last week that Cicada is past his "Sell-By" date and I still think so. However, they are very slowly bringing together all the disparate threads - Cicada and Grace, Nora and Iris, Nora and Eobard, Iris and the CC Citizen. Even Cisco's meta-human cure is going to be included. Barry wants to use it on Cicada. How is this going to fit in the Cisco's (and Killer Frost's) express desire only to use it on those who want to get rid of their meta-gene? Already there's conflict and we didn't even have to bring A.R.G.U.S. into the picture.

Cisco's new bartender friend is actually a photographer. Will she be Iris's first hire?

ETA: I wouldn't be surprised if Grace were the one manipulating her uncle, due to the dark matter fragment still lodged in her brain.

Last edited by Terminus Est; 01-29-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:07 AM

The comic given prominent place in the future Flash Museum ("The Cult of Cicada") was The Flash Vol 2 No 172. That's indeed Cicada on the cover.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 AM

So I am thinking that The Flash stops Cicada in the present but the reason people in the future think he didn't is that Grace becomes a new Cicada later.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
ETA: I wouldn't be surprised if Grace were the one manipulating her uncle, due to the dark matter fragment still lodged in her brain.
I think you're right. In her mindscape, Cicada was clearly a female.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
So I am thinking that The Flash stops Cicada in the present but the reason people in the future think he didn't is that Grace becomes a new Cicada later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I think you're right. In her mindscape, Cicada was clearly a female.
yep....

Last edited by simster; 01-31-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:04 AM

Is Grace the future Cicada? I interpreted the sequence as Grace thinking of herself as Cicada and, since she's in a coma, influencing her uncle to kill all the metas. Perhaps she does become Cicada in the future.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
And manipulating the doctor who is helping the uncle - people who spend time near Grace may become anti-Meta...
Old 02-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Cicada doesn't "need" the meta cure. They need to find a way to get the knife away from him, which ought to be doable. Put the meta cuffs on him and then send his knife through a breach. (I doubt it's indestructible. Have Supergirl zap it with heat vision.)

Great moment--when Iris uses the Thinker's chair as a weapon.

Last edited by Dendarii Dame; 02-01-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Put the meta cuffs on him and then send his knife through a breach. (I doubt it's indestructible. Have Supergirl zap it with heat vision.)
Breach it into another universe!
Old 02-04-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
The comic given prominent place in the future Flash Museum ("The Cult of Cicada") was The Flash Vol 2 No 172. That's indeed Cicada on the cover.
Thanks, I was wondering about that.

I'm very tired of Cicada, but adding in Grace made it interesting. I missed the very obvious clue about her memories not being accurate - all those waffles piled up on the table!

I really agree with "We know Eobard Thawne is in play; everyone wants to see what happens there." I only started watching a couple of seasons ago, I didn't even know what that was!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 AM

S05S13: Goldfaced

Goldfaced promo: https://youtu.be/2Q3ZuEL-bt4

BARRY AND IRIS EACH TAKE DANGEROUS STEPS TO STOP CICADA - Barry and Ralph must go undercover as criminals in an illegal black market to purchase a device that could help them stop Cicada. Once inside, Barry and Ralph find their morality tested as they slip deeper into the criminal world, eventually having to choose between committing a crime, or losing the means to defeat one of their greatest foes. Meanwhile, Iris investigates a lead on Cicada's whereabouts and ends up in a dangerous situation.