Old 01-16-2019, 03:24 PM

Replacements for potatoes in fries?

One of the things my doctor included when she read me the Blood Sugar Riot Act was to stay away from potatoes. (Don't laugh - between potatoes, pasta, flour, and pretty much all desserts, I've dropped 25 pounds in six weeks.) I have been trying various vegetables in place of potatoes for french fries, although I don't fry them (I coat them in olive oil and then either air-bake them or microwave them), and can't seem to find one where I can get them to the right combination of warm and solid. I tried microwaving sliced turnips, but they came out flaccid and tasteless.

Anybody out there have any suggestions? Note that "coat them in bread crumbs" is not an option.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:34 PM

Sweet potatoes are the only thing I know you can do the same as potatoes and they come out great. We cut them into sticks, toss them with oil and salt and bake them on cookie sheets.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
One of the things my doctor included when she read me the Blood Sugar Riot Act was to stay away from potatoes. (Don't laugh - between potatoes, pasta, flour, and pretty much all desserts, I've dropped 25 pounds in six weeks.) I have been trying various vegetables in place of potatoes for french fries, although I don't fry them (I coat them in olive oil and then either air-bake them or microwave them), and can't seem to find one where I can get them to the right combination of warm and solid. I tried microwaving sliced turnips, but they came out flaccid and tasteless.

Anybody out there have any suggestions? Note that "coat them in bread crumbs" is not an option.
nothing is going to replace potatoes in fries that is not fried. you can substitute things like cauliflower in potato salad or cauliflower for rice but I don't see anything to replace the bland inside fluffy interior and crispy exterior if it isn't fried.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I've never tried this recipe, but on Good Eats once, he made chips out of parsnips. Seems worth a try.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

If you're tending to the keto diet, I believe root vegetables like turnips and parsnips may also be on your banned list - check with your doctor. Have you tried mushrooms? Or simply have a steak large enough that you don't need vegetables.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
If you're tending to the keto diet, I believe root vegetables like turnips and parsnips may also be on your banned list - check with your doctor.
True, though celeriac is relatively low carb for a root vegetable. I found a few recipes for celery root fries.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Sweet potatoes are the only thing I know you can do the same as potatoes and they come out great. We cut them into sticks, toss them with oil and salt and bake them on cookie sheets.
Sweet potatoes are likely going to have the same problems, vis-a-vis blood sugar, as potatoes.

Any vegetable cut very thin, coated in oil and salt, and roasted at high heat for a brief time might help satisfy the hot-crunchy-salty-oily cravings.

My whole family loves baby kale, broccoli, and cauliflower cooked this way. It's just crispy salty yumminess.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 01-16-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:52 PM

Yuca is lower on the glycemic index than potato. Not sure if they would also get the 'blood sugar riot act.'

https://www.thehealthymaven.com/cris...ed-yuca-fries/
Old 01-16-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Green beans is the first thing I thought of, but that was in their deep-fried form. It's definitely a no-go as far as microwaving goes (it's just gonna be a soggy, limp bean), but perhaps air frying would work. And I'm not generally a fan of green beans. But green bean fries, I'll take any day.

ETA: Here's an example recipe I dug up for at least oven roasted beans in the style of crispy french fries.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-16-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Try asparagus.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Jerusalem artichokes aka sunchokes have a lower glycemic index than potatoes, and can be used in place of them in a lot of recipes. Don't know how well they'd air fry, though, and they can be hard to find.

If you want to try growing them, they're prolific and invasive.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:48 PM

• potato chips
  • sweet potatoes
  • yucca root
  • broccoli
  • pancake batter
  • crickets
  • starch-based glue
Old 01-16-2019, 07:19 PM

Pickles
Old 01-16-2019, 07:48 PM

Chicken wings
Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

What about making chickpea flour fries?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:37 PM

What about rutabaga? They aren't pretty on the outside, but the flesh is yellow-orange and I personally like it. They do seem to be more "watery" than potatoes.

If people can make fries with parsnips, they probably could with these.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Daikon comes in at 4.1g/100.0g of carbs, and make absolutely fabulous fries. They're a great substitute for potatoes in lots of other great ways, too.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:16 AM

Try roasting chick peas until they are crunchy. Use your favorite chex-mix coating, or any commercial tahini or teriyaki sauce. Chickpea is high in protein and fiber, but it scratches the same itch for sure.

Or consider Chakri, which has a small amount of wheat flour but is mostly gram. The spiciness will keep you from eating too much, and the protein is very satisfying.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Yuca is lower on the glycemic index than potato. Not sure if they would also get the 'blood sugar riot act.'

https://www.thehealthymaven.com/cris...ed-yuca-fries/
Yuca was going to be my suggestion too- it's a whole lot like potato. To the point, where you might just think it's a different variety or something, if you didn't know it was yuca ahead of time.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:04 PM

I always come across recipes for fried eggplant.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:39 AM

I've tried roasting radishes. You have to spice them well, and roast them long enough for the moisture to cook out. Nothing equals the pleasure of potatoes, but they can be an acceptable substitute, if you cook them long enough. But no, microwaving won't work.

I've had very good yuca fries, but I think they were coated in something to make them crisper, and they are extremely high in carbs. I'd say to test your blood sugar one and two hours after eating them, to find out if they mess yours up or not. I had the same kind of addictive reaction after eating them that I get after eating potatoes, so from that I know that I need to stay away from them.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Zucchini, sliced thin
Old 01-19-2019, 07:25 PM

Roasted Brussels sprouts have filled that spot that potatos used to fill in my plate. Halve, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and absolutely blast them in the oven. I like them just this side of burned, done right you get a crispy exterior and tender inside.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:53 AM

If you like tots as well as fries, I have seen a lot of broccoli and cauliflower "tots" but I am not sure if there is breading involved. My wife used to have me buy this vegetable, I can't remember the name (Mexican something was the slang I believe) that was potato like but had the consistency to me that seemed sort of in between a potato and a carrot and she used it in some recipes.

I'm happy that I'm never giving up potatoes, especially not sweet potatoes if I have to go that route.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 01-20-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
If you like tots as well as fries, I have seen a lot of broccoli and cauliflower "tots" but I am not sure if there is breading involved. My wife used to have me buy this vegetable, I can't remember the name (Mexican something was the slang I believe) that was potato like but had the consistency to me that seemed sort of in between a potato and a carrot and she used it in some recipes.

I'm happy that I'm never giving up potatoes, especially not sweet potatoes if I have to go that route.
Jicama, probably.