Old 01-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I don't understand how anyone could think the visuals looked great. They looked so amateurish.
As I said, other than the "young" makeup in the opening scenes, I thought they looked great. I don't know what else to say.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I finally saw Aquaman last night, and I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed it.
I enjoyed it too, but based on the movies you liked and disliked, I think we have very different taste in movies otherwise.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
5. I was a wee bit troubled at first by the villain Black Manta being played by a black man.
Well, in the comics, the character has always been black. In the 1970s, he was a political militant (Or he posed as one, when recruiting henchmen. When he turned out to be more interested in killing Aquaman than in social issues, his henchmen turned on him.) When not wearing his helmet, artists drew him to resemble Stokely Carmichael.

As for the animation, I would describe it as "stylized" rather than "amateurish". I don't think they were trying for realism.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 AM

Saw it over the weekend. I give it a solid B due to Momoa having fun with it. It would be a D otherwise.

I won't rehash what others have said. A few points of my own.

This happens *after* Justice League???? WTF? I thought this was all before but whoever mentioned that they said Steppenwolf is correct and huh? He and Mara knew and liked each other in JL but first met here?

Atlantean tech. Sigh. The trope of ancient empire having better tech. Okay, fine. Whatever. And on land, I get that. But it really annoyed me that somehow electricity and technology is working in salt water. They didn't try to explain how this changed. Later, one drop of water powers an entire hologram?

How do people evolve/devolve into fish? 10k years is not a lot of time to do that naturally.

I'm still not sure on the timeline of Atlantis and the first king, who made the trident. Assuming it was thousands of years ago . . . how did he use Romulus as the king? Wouldn't Romulus be way late? Indeed, wouldn't most of our Ancient world be recent to them?

Traffic going in and out of Atlantis? Huh? What are they doing? Commuting to . . . what job, exactly? I mean, I get that they must fish or farm something but seeing it would have been nice. And what's the economy? Do nobles live better than commoners? And what's up with the water cannons? They mention that all seven kingdoms, until now, have honored borders. So, why?

Are Mera and Arthur really the only Atlanteans who have special abilities? How is that not a much bigger thing or mentioned when she has it?

If all atlanteans are good, fast swimmers, what's with riding the sharks? What's with lining up underwater?? And yes to whoever said that he will have the biggest army but only after he's battle tested and killed a lot of them in "uniting" them.

In the scene with Mantis, Arthur stands there and the blade doesn't penetrate. Later, it does??? Why? And he can take a freaking grenade launcher to the chest, which he must have absorbed to save the room, but a plasma beam finally hurts him?

Those are my big points. I enjoyed watching Momoa and his charisma worked such that it was only upon reflection I had most of these questions.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vislor View Post
In the scene with Mantis, Arthur stands there and the blade doesn't penetrate. Later, it does??? Why? And he can take a freaking grenade launcher to the chest, which he must have absorbed to save the room, but a plasma beam finally hurts him?
Most of the details of the movie didn't make too much sense to me either, but they at least sort of tried to explain that one. When Arthur gets stabbed in their second fight it's because Mantis got Atlantean steel from Orm, so apparently Atlanteans can only be harmed by Atlantean weapons because they are just that much more awesome.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vislor View Post
How do people evolve/devolve into fish? 10k years is not a lot of time to do that naturally.
All those petrochemicals we've been dumping in the oceans have gotta be good for somethin'.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

The evolution wasn't natural. It was a side effect from the trident (which also sank the original kingdom).

And Aquaman already knew the other Atlanteans: Apparently they've been nagging him to come back for a while now, and he's getting tired of telling them no.

But I will grant that the First King Whatever-his-name-was should have probably predated Romulus, and certainly pre-dated whenever those statues were made (which had to have been after the time of all of those not-kings), at least)
Old 01-21-2019, 02:22 PM

Good points, thanks!

Again, I enjoyed it and thought Momoa was great! I would be curious about the comics if they explained some of the lesser questions, like what Atlanteans do for jobs or the like. It's just me nit picking it.