Old 01-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Bird Box. I read the book first, and it was the same sort of ending.

Watched Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story. Interesting biopic of a complicated person. Available on Netflix.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 AM

The Green Book. Loved, loved loved it. It's predictable and manipulative, but I didn't care.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:22 AM

The Old Man & The Gun. Possibly Robert Redford's last movie.

Come for the acting (Redford and Sissy Spacek) stay for ... the acting?

The storyline gets jumbled up at times. In particular "chunks" are delberately left out. So we see people planning to do X, then it jumps to immediately after X and we are left to infer what actually happened during X. And what happened seems far too important to leave to inference.

Danny Glover and Tom Waits play Redford's criminal buddies. Waits in particular is a genius* at this.

Casey Affleck plays the Representative Cop who is "chasing" Redford but is actually just a soundboard for people to explain Redford's past. He really doesn't do much in terms of propelling the action forward. (And in one case literally does nothing when he should.) An oddly included character. What's the opposite of a Dr. Exposition? I.e., a person who listens to others explaining?

There are a ton of "homages" to other films, including Redford's and Spacek's. There's even a clip of a young Redford from The Chase. And some Two-Lane Blacktop/Warren Oates stuff.

Credit oddity: Keith Carradine gets a much higher billing than Elisabeth Moss despite the former barely being seen at all and the latter having a good length scene. Blame the cutting room floor.

Give it 3 "hearing aids" thanks to mostly Sissy Spacek.

* "That's what is says on the card."

Last edited by ftg; 01-06-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:46 PM
SDSAB

Waits is also in the Coen Brothers' new movie, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (mentioned above), as a feisty old prospector.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Waits is also in the Coen Brothers' new movie, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (mentioned above), as a feisty old prospector.
Waits' acting career is off and on. Hadn't been in a feature film since 2012's Seven Psychopaths and now in two films of note. It was mentioned here that he has a problem memorizing lines.

In TOM&TG there's a long monologue that is reported he made up on his own. It works.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:11 AM
SDSAB

My latest five:

Absolute Power
So-so Clint Eastwood movie about a cat burglar who, while robbing a mansion, sees a woman killed in the President's presence by his Secret Service agents. The burglar decides to expose the crime while dodging assassins.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Hadn't seen this sf epic in awhile. Still pretty slow-paced, but an interesting story, beautiful score, and it's good to see the crew reunited on a spiffy, rebuilt starship.

3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Dark comedy set in rural America, as a redneck mom tries to shame local cops into finding her daughter's killer and rapist. Excellent cast and funny dialogue, with a definite Coen-esque air. Recommended.

Six Shooter
Oscar-winning Irish short film, with the always-great Brendan Gleeson as a grieving husband who takes a train ride he'll never forget.

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Another fun MCU superhero movie, and more light-hearted than most. Paul Rudd is again terrific as the everyman guy in the suit. Some fantastic chase sequences in San Francisco. Two thumbs up.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Watched the latest Mission Impossible movie on demand. I can see why Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 97% rating, as it's pure entertainment from start to finish.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Jays Fan

"Spider-Man : Into the Spider-Verse" was stunningly good - easily the best animated feature of 2018, and by far the best superhero movie in years. Marvelously original.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Watched the remake of "Papillon." The 1973 film starred Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman, which are mighty big shoes to fill. The two lead actors do a credible job, the film is well-mounted and is hardly a shot-for-shot remake. However, during the end credits, it is revealed that the script for this film is based solely on the 1973 screenplay. In other words, there's no new take on the book, nothing new added. It kept me entertained, but I just kept thinking, why bother doing a remake if you're not going to give it a fresh take.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Just saw " Annhilation" a few days ago. It reminded me an awful lot of the movie "Arrival."

It felt like a mess. They could not figure out which movie to make. I must admit that a few of the visual elements are deeply evocative. There was such an emotional disconnect between the lead woman and the lead man at the end of the film was completely flat and unbelievable to me.

The overall conceit was really really interesting; the IMDb page for this movie lists a rigorously vetted scientific paper that dives into DNA Mix-Ups and combinations.

The single most haunting moments were the ones that showed the small trees growing in the shapes of human beings. It told the entire story of what had happened and what likely would happen in a single shot. Quite powerful to me.

The photographic style editing and lighting choices reminded me a lot of Arrival as I set up at the top. Arrival did a better job stylistically and the end of it worked for me a lot better.

I will not be watching this again.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:06 PM

MotW: First Man.

Yeah, it's pretty good. Very emotionally tense. And too long ... except that they left out so much so ... too short??

While focusing on the family side of things quite a bit is a good idea, Gosling's terseness fails at many points. Esp. in his test flights and such.

After all this family-focus stuff, during the Apollo 11 landing we don't see Janet. It's like he's on another world! Fodder for crappy essays and masters theses for years to come. Oh, well.

Still, the man remains an enigma. That's unfortunate.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Last movie I saw in the theater was Aquaman. It was a fun movie, worth the ticket.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:53 PM

The Favourite. I thought it was brilliantly acted, an unusual story (has Queen Anne ever been the subject of a film before? I knew zippo about her and immediately went to Wikipedia) and great script. My wife, on the other hand, couldn't enjoy because Anne was such a pitiable character, she could only feel sorry for her.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:00 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
The Favourite. I thought it was brilliantly acted, an unusual story (has Queen Anne ever been the subject of a film before?....
There was a 1969 British miniseries about the Churchills in which Queen Anne is a major character. Haven't seen it but it got good reviews at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Churchills

My latest five:

Seven Samurai
Saw this Kurosawa classic for the first time, a B&W action movie about seven warriors defending a poor village from bandits. Overlong but worth a look.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Terrific animated superhero movie, as Spider-folk from different universes team up to fight Kingpin and fix an interdimensional rift. Funny and exciting, with a beautiful mix of CGI and old-school animation. Really enjoyed it.

Misery
A famous writer, injured in a car crash on a lonely Colorado road, is held prisoner by his "Number One fan" and forced to write a novel bringing back the bodice-ripper heroine he has just recently, with great relief, killed off. Kathy Bates earned her Oscar as the mad, scary, controlling captor; James Caan is pretty good as the writer.

Juno
Offbeat comedy about a spunky pregnant teen who decides to give her unwanted baby to a young couple. Not as good as the reviews, I thought, although Ellen Page is adorkable in the lead role.

The World Before Your Feet
Very enjoyable documentary about a man who has the goal of walking all eight thousand miles of NYC's streets, boulevards and alleys. The movie takes you to parts of the city that you might never see otherwise, including a surprising number of green and unspoiled places.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
There was a 1969 British miniseries about the Churchills in which Queen Anne is a major character. Haven't seen it but it got good reviews at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Churchills
I remember The First Churchills, although I've never seen it. Makes sense; it's basically the same timeframe and same characters as The Favourite. Sarah Churchill (Duchess of Marlborough), played by Rachel Weisz, is one-third of the love/hate triangle.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

My latest watch was Apostle, a Netflix original. Basic plot: a man infiltrates a bizarre island cult in order to rescue his sister, who is being held for ransom. I liked it until it turned supernatural; I felt it was stronger when everything was in the realm of the possible. Some seriously gory scenes. Even horror fans, though, can probably skip it.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:58 PM

I finally saw Avengers: Infinity War, and was as impressed as impressed could be, I must say.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:07 AM

I finally saw Solo: A Star Wars Story, and I feel the same way that the Professor felt about The Avengers. I have no idea why it tanked so hard. I thought it was the best Star Wars movie I've seen since the first trilogy. Eh ... maybe I'm just sick of the mysticism of the Star Wars universe and I was cranked up for some good old fashion space piracy.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:37 PM

Super Troopers 2. I don't know where I stand on this one. Objectively, it's a horrible movie but I thought I was a Broken Lizard fan. Turns out I just liked Beerfest. The first Super Troopers was funny while they were cops on the highway fucking with stoners, but when the plot hit, I turned horrible. This one is the opposite. It starts horrible, and pretty much stays that way most of the time, but there are a few pretty funny spots interspersed here and there.

I guess I'd still recommend it if you truly are a Broken Lizard fan, of if that's just the type of humor that turns your crank, but I warn you - it doesn't even have a half-decent premise, the gist of which is that there's a strip of land in Canada near the Vermont border which is going to, "become American," through some contrived land deal. So the boys get their jobs back to go introduce American culture to Canada. And then there's this, that, the other thing ... a stupid smuggling plot to throw in conflict ... and the whole thing is all wrapped up in basically a deus ex machina ending and they all lived happily ever after.

So yeah ... smoke a joint, watch half of it now and half of it later and you'll probably like it.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 01-15-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:52 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
... but when the plot hit, I turned horrible....
I guess movies really can change you.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:54 PM

It's a fair cop.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:49 PM

New releases I saw in the theater Jan 1-15, ranked in order of preference:

The Heiresses (Martinessi; Paraguay)
The Guilty (Moller; Denmark)
Yomeddine (Shawky; Egypt)
Secret Ingredient (Stabreski; Macedonia)
Yellow is Forbidden (Brettkelly; New Zealand)
Sunset (Nemes; Hungary)

Last edited by MovieMogul; 01-15-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:20 AM
SDSAB

Want to tell us something about them, MM?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 AM

Campeones, which apparently is called Empowered in English. There was only one scene I didn't like; seriously, only because it's a Spanish movie doesn't mean you are legally required to include a bit so improbably illegal it should have pinged Interpol Australia's radar. Good actors and it played very well with a lot of stereotypes, had many places where what happened was not what anybody would have expected. I particularly enjoyed the multiple takes on "bros before hos" that are so different from the versions of that saying I've been hearing in the last decade or so.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

I started a thread about Cold War, but it's worth mentioning here for better exposure. A truly outstanding film by any standards and should be the winner of Best Foreign Film. I know that Roma is getting all the press, but this is a better film by any metric.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Bit the bullet and watched the latest version of A Star is Born.

We watched the 1976 (Christmas day), so there was a ton of "The next scene is going to be the one where Jack gets jealous of Ally's sudden success." kind of premonition going on.

Better in some ways than the 76 version, much worse in several ways. Esp. the weird way they did the (you know) scene near the end. Geez, there's a motorcycle right there!

The Gaga's great singing job is the highlight for me.

I saw Andrew Dice Clay's name in the closing credits. Oh. I remember seeing his name on the RT page but I forgot to look for him. Pater Gaga. I was surprised that I was surprised since he also did a good job in Blue Jasmine. (Which was a Woody Allen film who also did Radio Days which had Kitty Carlisle in it who was married to Moss Hart. The 1954 screenplay writer of A Star is Born.)

Sam Elliott did his usual great job. Sadly, despite playing a musician, we never see him perform.

Give it 3 Eddie Griffins (or 1 Dave Chappelle).
Old 01-21-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Bit the bullet and saw Crazy Rich Asians.

Meh, at best. Too noisy and hyper. Glamorizes rich (stupid) people and their idiotic, wasteful, discriminatory practices. A predictable storyline. I mean, very predictable.

Constance Wu and a few of the other women actors were quite good. But the big problem is that there are a few boring, stolid people and a metric ton of "wacky" people. I think the goal was to differentiate the cast by having almost all the secondary characters be ... "characters" and then some. Plus there are way too many of them.

A pared down cast with moderate styles would have been better.

The way things wrapped up basically did not make sense at all given what preceded.

Give it 1.5 dumplings.
I watched this at home with other people — a couple of whom were desparate for “something funny.” After 30 minutes everyone was depressed. I left the room around the halfway point, so I can’t give a fair review, but...

None of the characters were real people, and I never bought the romance between the leads. I usually don’t pay much attention to sound tracks, but this one was actively annoying — whenever a big expensive house appeared or when someone put on a glamorous outfit the soundtrack segued into soft “ohh, isn’t it amazing and wonderful” music.

OTOH, Avengers: Infinity War was very impressive. Growing up I was a serious fan of Marvel, but burnout hit me many decades ago. The endless parade of stories made the problems/triumphs/deaths hollow. And the movies just had too many fights.

That said, Infinity War was entertaining as hell. The production values were amazing, the endless parade of Marvel characters was handled almost seamlessly, and the dialog was funny and self-mocking without completely undercutting the drama.

I couldn't really take the events seriously, and any film that includes time travel is automatically just a shadow show, but jeez this was a slick, cutting edge, Hollywood blockbuster done right.

Last edited by Baal Houtham; 01-21-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: like to edit
Old 01-21-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
New releases I saw in the theater Jan 1-15, ranked in order of preference:

The Guilty (Moller; Denmark)
Quote:
Want to tell us something about them, MM?
I would like to comment on The Guilty since I saw it at our local Alamo last week. It's a brilliant film. My husband commented that it had the feel of an old-fashioned radio play. It's very simple in story and execution, but flawless and very compelling. It's about a police dispatcher (actually a cop doing desk duty) who gets pulled into a 911 call just before the end of his shift and can't let it go so he stays until it's resolved. The entire film happens in the two rooms of the 911 center, and centers on the main actor. If that sounds dreadfully boring it's only because condensing it to a small description like that reduces it. It's gripping and well told, has a twist or two that keeps the viewer wondering what will happen next.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:29 PM

I watched Escape Room. It's a PG-13 version of Saw / The Cube with no-name actors.
And frankly, exactly what that kind of genre needed: the appeal of the original Saw movie was not the gore (for most people IME), and it's a shame the makers never got that.

Escape Room is scary enough without the gore. Some of the puzzles / solutions were pretty dumb (see spoiler) but that dumbness was good for breaking up some of the tension.

SPOILER:

Everyone putting their hands on a huge block of ice to melt out the key? In an environment where the outside temperature is freezing?
I think days later you'd have a pile of necrotized hands lying on the ground before you're even halfway into the block.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:00 PM
SDSAB

My latest five:

The Favourite
Opulent, offbeat, usually-entertaining costume drama about two ruthless courtiers vying to be Queen Anne's BFF. All three actresses are very good, and the sets and costumes are gorgeous, but the movie's a bit too long, I'd say.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Ridley Scott's last (for now) editing of his 1982 classic. Still a great sf noir detective movie, set in a fully-realized urban dystopia, with images and scenes that linger in your mind.

Bad News Bears
The 2005 remake of the 1976 baseball black comedy. Billy Bob Thornton does pretty well in the Walter Matthau role, as a hard-drinking former MLB player who agrees, against his better judgment, to coach a Little League team that really sucks. (Of course, after some setbacks, he turns the team around in no time flat). Some changes from the original but it's mostly the same movie, just with a different cast.

Brexit
Acerbic, documentary-style quasi-satire about the 2016 British referendum to leave the European Union. Benedict Cumberbatch is, as always, terrific in the lead role, this time playing the pro-Leave campaign's brilliant, hard-driving manager.

Chef Flynn
So-so documentary about a teenager who becomes a celebrity chef, eventually opening his own restaurant in New York City. Would've benefitted from more background on what got him interested in cooking so young, and some talking heads discussing his cooking, the reaction of foodies to him, and the cutthroat NYC restaurant scene.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Just saw the limited release of They Shall Not Grow Old, Peter Jackson's WWI documentary. He has managed to take archival footage of that war, clean it up and colorize it without having it look cheesy, and put it together in a coherent narrative, along with archived interviews with veterans of the war. Shockingly well done.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:56 PM

Phantom Thread - I don't think I got it. Daniel Day-Lewis could fart in a bucket and I'd watch it - and his performance didn't disappoint - but I have to admit, I didn't give two tapered turds for any character in this entire movie. Day-Lewis's character was just basically a neurotic asshole. His young lover (sorry I can't remember character names, or other actors/actresses in this movie, but I can't be arsed) seemed just an opportunist pretending to be altruistic. Is that it? Two assholes meet each other and fall in love? I don't know.

Good movie, but it seemed a little pointless to me. I'm prepared to be educated. What did I miss?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:04 PM
SDSAB

Well, Alma (his new model and muse) was less of an asshole than the DDL character when she first got involved with him, but once we got into the
SPOILER:
seriously weird poisoning subplot,
I agree she was an asshole, although of an entirely different variety. I don't think the movie was pointless (and it was certainly gorgeous to behold), but I do think it went off the rails in the final act.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Eh ... maybe I'm just sick of the mysticism of the Star Wars universe and I was cranked up for some good old fashion space piracy.
I liked that there was no mention of the Force or Sith and Jedi (apart from that hologram) and I wish they didn't have that blind almost Jedi in Rogue One.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:54 AM

Sorry to Bother You (on Hulu). I'm not sure what to say about this. Weird, fascinating, significant? Writer-director Boots Riley (never heard of him before) draws a straight line between underpaid drone work (telemarketing) and nouveau slavery and
SPOILER:
mad scientist human-horse hybrids to replace human workers
. I can't say I completely *enjoyed* it, but I have to applaud him for making it. Liked all the actors and performances, too.

Eighth Grade (Amazon Prime). Really liked it a lot. Captures middle-school misery perfectly, but at the end it feels very hopeful.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:07 AM

MotW: Widows with a bunch of well known people. For me it was mainly because of Elizabeth Debicki. Viola Davis plays the lead with Michelle Rodriguez as their partner in crime. A Steve McQueen film.

The plot ..., yeah, about that. It does have a plot. Sort of. The woman are widows who lost their men in a heist gone wrong. Due to Incredibly Stupid Reasons they have to pull off a huge heist Right Now despite being complete idiots at such matters.

There's politicians and gangsters involved and a very evil kitchen sink.

It is just a muddle. And people doing stupid stuff stupidly.

But at least it's got a bunch of great actors, right? Well, Davis is just her character from TV. Debicki is misused. Rodriguez is barely used at all. Colin Farrell is completely accent-less and therefore emotionally neutered. And on and on.

One plus among the actors is Lukas Haas* as a rich john. But for each such actor there's a bunch of Jacki Weaver's doing the usual Jacki Weaver stuff.

And will people stop casting Robert Duvall as the bigoted, nasty father, please. It's getting old, as is he.

* Who plays Michael Collins in First Man which we just saw.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 AM

I completely concur with your thoughts on Widows. I can't believe it got such good reviews.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
"Spider-Man : Into the Spider-Verse" was stunningly good - easily the best animated feature of 2018, and by far the best superhero movie in years. Marvelously original.
And funny, my 5 year old boy and I just kept laughing so much I think we were bothering other people in the theater.

The quasi 3D filming was a bit hard to get used to, original, but annoying in the beginning.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:54 PM

Just watched the Fyre Festival documentary on Netflix . I liked it. The best part was the twist ending.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 AM
SDSAB

My latest five:

Midnight Run
My second time seeing this 1988 road movie. Violent, coarse, lots of laughs, lots of fun. Robert De Niro plays a tough-as-nails bounty hunter and Charles Grodin is a nebbishy Mob accountant he has to take from NYC to LA, no matter how much they get on each other's nerves. Both are great in their roles.

Heaven Can Wait
A favorite of mine, a tragicomic love story with a supernatural angle. A pro quarterback, likely bound for the Super Bowl, is taken to Heaven too soon when an angel assumes he'll be killed in a car accident. Then the angel and his supervisor have to fix things, and zany hijinks ensue. A fine cast led by Warren Beatty, Julie Christie and James Mason, in a movie that really sticks with you.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
B&W Western starring Jimmy Stewart as an idealistic lawyer, John Wayne as a much more cynical rancher, and James Coburn as the local bad guy. OK, but didn't live up to the reviews, I thought.

All the President's Men
Introduced my youngest son to this Watergate drama, a classic tale of plucky journalism and political corruption. Really holds up well, and its themes are still unfortunately all too timely.

The Guilty
Tense, moody, gripping Danish thriller about a Copenhagen cop, unwillingly assigned to an emergency-dispatch call center, who is drawn deeper and deeper into a kidnapping case. Shortlisted for the 2018 Best Foreign Film Oscar, and soon to be remade with Jake Gyllenhaal in the lead role. Despite some plot holes, highly recommended, as JcWoman noted above.

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01-28-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse was an amazing film in every aspect - good story, music, acting, and very innovative visuals.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:52 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Yeah, I just saw this movie last week and I loved it. Without a doubt the best animated thing to have the Marvel name on it in years.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
Just watched the Fyre Festival documentary on Netflix . I liked it. The best part was the twist ending.
Just watched this last night. Enjoyed it.

SPOILER:
Whether he was a novice 'visionary' with Pollyanna naivete or just a scam artist, it was amazing to see how many people stayed with him while ignoring the blatantly obvious logistical problems of the festival. And how the stuck with him after they could no longer ignore them.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 01-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Train to Busan - a Korean zombie movie that takes place largely on a train and at a couple of train stations. Pretty fun zombie flick. The main characters include a father and his young (7-ish?) daughter, and a pregnant woman and her husband. Their characters and a few others are sketched in a bit before the action begins, so you have some emotional investment in what happens.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:05 PM

The House of the Arrows - 1953

Obscure Brit whodunit relying heavily for its entertainment value on Oscar Homolka (and his big eyebrows) atypically cast in the lead as a French detective. He was excellent, Yvonne Furneaux was gorgeous, some of the lighting was nice (though it was not a good print) and the story was lame, convoluted and predictable.

Der Herr der Welt (Master of the World) - 1934

From IMDB: "A German scientist designs and builds a machine that will do dangerous work instead of placing humans in jeopardy. But the machine itself turns out to have disastrous effects on the people involved."

I watched about half of this while sick. It was slow and kinda dull, and perhaps one day I will watch the rest. In the meantime, a clip (in German) will suffice to explain why I even bothered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWoPXb1bZOY

Quote:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance ...and James Coburn as the local bad guy
That is a very odd way of spelling Lee Marvin.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Dead Pool 2. Very funny, but the jokes came so fast, I think I missed half of them. One that made me laugh out loud was when Bedlam joins X-Force, he says his powers can cause "anxiety, confusion, pain." Deadpool replies, "So, basically, you're Dave Matthews." I'm a rabid DMB hater, so this really tickled me.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:14 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
...That is a very odd way of spelling Lee Marvin.
D'oh! Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:02 PM

Lots of catching up to do since my last post. Ratings are 0-4 stars.

The Favourite *** Pretty entertaining - loved Olivia Colman's performance as Queen Anne - but the movie really fizzled out in the last act.

Leave No Trace **** Extremely well-acted, gripping, excellent subject matter.

Wild ** Reese Witherspoon hiking. Not at all what I expected, not at all as good as I had hoped for.

Black Panther **1/2 I'm not a superhero movie guy. Not too bad, as those go.

First Reformed **1/2 Ethane Hawke is believable as a small town preach, but jumped the rails a bit at the conclusion.

Beautiful Boy **1/2 Competent but predictable. Could have/should have been more memorable.

Roma **** Pretty perfect. Best movie I've seen this year.

Crazy Rich Asians ** Too much unfunny silliness. Overrated.

BlacKKKlansman ***1/2 Very engaging, realistic.

Three Identical Strangers *** Documentary with an uncomfortable revelation.

Green Book *** Pretty standard Hollywood fare, but entertaining and well done.

mmm
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Also just watched Three Identical Strangers. Very interesting and troubling.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:27 AM

Watched Leave No Trace which has been recommended up thread. A father and daughter live in Forest Park in Portland. (Forest Park is really, really big and ... well, forested, for an urban park.)

Fairly interesting but not a "wow" for me.

The father actor Ben Foster looks familiar to me. I guess from Six Feet Under and My Name is Earl. He could easily play Aaron Paul's brother in something.

The daughter, Thomasin McKenzie, did a particularly good job. Has a decent list of credits already.

The actress who plays the nice older lady in the last part was really familiar. Character name "Dale". Hmm, I thought. Didn't she already play a character by that name? Also on My Name is Earl? No, her real name is Dale Dickey. Patty on Earl.

A couple of Portlandia folk on it such as the social worker. Figures.

Of course there's some stuff that doesn't play right. E.g., Portland has an immense homeless problem. They might roust some people out of a place but they won't spend much time and resources on helping just the two of them.

I don't get the route they take from Forest Park to OHSU. They cross the river on the St. Johns bridge. Somehow get to southside of downtown back across the river. Then take the tramway up to OHSU. And back the same route. Since they are both on the same side of the river and in the hills why cross it at all?

Similarly they magically cross into Washington near Portland without crossing the Columbia. (They certainly didn't travel to NE Oregon to cross the border east of Walla Walla.)

Give it 3 tarps.