Old 01-18-2019, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

I realised something the other day. Jason was originally told he was a wise monk Jian-Yu, the kind of insightful person who may say simple aphorisms in Yoda-speak but have deep meaning. But no, he's just an idiot.

Or is he? I think Jason is fulfilling that exact role after all.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

>Mind blown<
Old 01-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

It finally clicked with me that the actor playing Derek is the same guy who played Dennis Feinstein (the super-rich men's cologne magnate) in "Parks and Recreation". Maybe it was seeing him in the suit.

So, Derek has a reboot button just like Janet? Does that mean all the people Janet is making for the new Good Place will also have reset buttons?

I noticed this was Chapter 38. 13 episodes per season? Is next week's episode the season finale?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

If no one has gotten into the Good Place for 521 years, yet Mindy managed to accumulate enough points to be set up in the Neutral Place, does that make her the best person to have lived during the last half-millennium?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:54 PM

I love the direction the story line has taken. There's controversy over what's going on... so they run a test! How scientific!

Meanwhile, it's an excuse to bring back Sean, Mindy, Derek (Derek!), and the good place neighborhood itself.

I have to admit I was imagining that one or more of the four new subjects would be people we had met before. (Maybe on another show? Maybe a cameo from someone from Pawnee, Indiana, perhaps?) But that would probably be a bad idea in the long run...
Old 01-18-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
If no one has gotten into the Good Place for 521 years, yet Mindy managed to accumulate enough points to be set up in the Neutral Place, does that make her the best person to have lived during the last half-millennium?
I mentioned this upthread, but the story with Mindy isn't that she accumulated enough points to get the Medium Place. The Good Place and Bad Place couldn't reach an agreement about whether she deserved the points for something she INTENDED to do and which DID occur, but which she didn't DIRECTLY do. She either belongs in the Good or Bad Place, but they compromised because they couldn't decide her points total.

Mindy is an illustration of an actual quandary that comes up in Ethics 101 classes, because the Good Place is basically a sitcom built from the first two years of an analytic philosophy curriculum.

Last edited by typoink; 01-18-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
I mentioned this upthread [snip]
I failed to thoroughly review the easier posts before commenting. Assesment: minus 8000 points.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
Her going there is a bit of a enigma. Basically she was a rather bad person, who was about to do something very good. So the two Places compromised.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:07 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Derek's multi-olived martini...probably a bit on the dry side, eh?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Classy, though.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Derek made me giggle more than anything else in this episode except Chidi. Goddamn these are some funny actors.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I love the direction the story line has taken. There's controversy over what's going on... so they run a test! How scientific!

Meanwhile, it's an excuse to bring back Sean, Mindy, Derek (Derek!), and the good place neighborhood itself...
I was worried Eleanor's mom would show up again. Tammy Swanson would be funny though. I gotta hand it to Sean; he can be really creative when it comes to torture. It's interesting that Gen didn't even bother summoning an actual Good Place representative. Also I loved how conveniently changing the humans' perception of the IHOP also made it much cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
...So, Derek has a reboot button just like Janet? Does that mean all the people Janet is making for the new Good Place will also have reset buttons?...
Maybe, but IIRC when Janet created Derek she was trying to create another being like herself as a companion; this time she just has to create fake human beings without anything of her powers.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Derek made me giggle more than anything else in this episode except Chidi. Goddamn these are some funny actors.
The actor who plays Derek, Jason... crap, I'm blanking on his last name -- but anyway, he guest-hosted The Good Place Podcast this week so that the regular host, Mark Evan Jackson ("I play Sean"), could be one of the guests. MEJ does a great job of hosting each week and the podcast is unfailingly funny and interesting, but this week's episode was epic. Strong recommend. Maximum Derek!!

Last edited by Skammer; 01-21-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
The actor who plays Derek, Jason... crap, I'm blanking on his last name -- but anyway, he guest-hosted The Good Place Podcast this week so that the regular host, Mark Evan Jackson ("I play Sean"), could be one of the guests. MEJ does a great job of hosting each week and the podcast is unfailingly funny and interesting, but this week's episode was epic. Strong recommend. Maximum Derek!!
Jason Mantzoukis is a podcast celebrity with one of the biggest budget and following podcasts out there, How did this get made? So he would be very well positioned to sit in as host on this podcast.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
Jason Mantzoukis is a podcast celebrity with one of the biggest budget and following podcasts out there, How did this get made?....
"What's up, jerks?!"
Old 01-21-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
Jason Mantzoukis is a podcast celebrity with one of the biggest budget and following podcasts out there, How did this get made? So he would be very well positioned to sit in as host on this podcast.
Zouks in Season 2, Paul Scheer in Season 3... June Diane Raphael has got to make an appearance next season, right?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I think Michael's insight is that no one game the system. The Bad Place folks may not even be aware that no one has made it to the Good Place for 500 years - it certainly was news to the accountant.
Turns out you were correct and I was misunderstanding. -1000 Points.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
I mentioned this upthread, but the story with Mindy isn't that she accumulated enough points to get the Medium Place. The Good Place and Bad Place couldn't reach an agreement about whether she deserved the points for something she INTENDED to do and which DID occur, but which she didn't DIRECTLY do. She either belongs in the Good or Bad Place, but they compromised because they couldn't decide her points total.

Mindy is an illustration of an actual quandary that comes up in Ethics 101 classes, because the Good Place is basically a sitcom built from the first two years of an analytic philosophy curriculum.
Also, this fits into what we've learned about the system. If Mindy had actually instituted her amazing plan, she would've gotten hit by all of the unintended consequences and ended up in the Bad Place.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:26 PM

Am I right that there are two episodes left this season - a total of 13?
Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

According to the Wikipedia article, yes, there are thirteen episodes this season. but the one airing this week is the thirteenth episode. So there's only one episode left.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Correct, the first ep was a double, so it's thirteen but it's twelve. It's all very Jeremy Bearimy.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
When I first started watching, Chidi was a total nothing to me, just a bit of a nerd cliche. He's become one of my favorite sitcom characters ever. The constant cracks in his attempts to keep himself together through all the nonsense are just completely charming.

The whole cast is remarkable, but Chidi and Janet steal a LOT of scenes.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful episode. Very poignant.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
"What's up, jerks?!"
Shuddup you balcony monster!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:22 AM

I thought this episode was a bit of a letdown. They have to wipe Chidi's memory so he doesn't interact with Simone... isn't an easier solution to just not have him live in the neighborhood? Why are the previous four humans there at all? Shouldn't the test be for the new four humans to live in a neighborhood and see what happens to them?

I feel like some important details about this "experiment" were totally glossed over.

And much as I love the characters of Chidi and Eleanor, and the actors who play them, they only kissed for the first time like two episodes ago. A sweeping highlights reel of their relationship seems a bit unearned.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I thought this episode was a bit of a letdown. They have to wipe Chidi's memory so he doesn't interact with Simone... isn't an easier solution to just not have him live in the neighborhood? Why are the previous four humans there at all? Shouldn't the test be for the new four humans to live in a neighborhood and see what happens to them?

I feel like some important details about this "experiment" were totally glossed over.

And much as I love the characters of Chidi and Eleanor, and the actors who play them, they only kissed for the first time like two episodes ago. A sweeping highlights reel of their relationship seems a bit unearned.
Chidi is there as the guide, just like he was for the rest of the soul squad.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Chidi has to teach the new group Eth(n)ics. So he can't hide.

StG
Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes, but they fell in love multiple times in the 800 or so reboots, so it's clearly earned. I found the highlights touching and they showed the many times they had a romantic connection.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:27 PM

At first I thought there was a plot hole with blog douche knowing about Tahani's death that had been retconned out, but then I realized that he wasn't talking about the statue fall. Now I'm wondering why the world knows that she died in Canada--did they leave corpses behind when Janet shoved them into her hole or whatever?
Old 01-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Chidi didn't learn that he and Eleanor were a thing just because they lived in Australia. He learned it because she got access to Michael's files and revealed it to him. What couldn't that happen again?

I agree completely with MaxTheVool that having the regular cast in the new experiment is a gigantic cheat that makes the new village meaningless. I've got to hope that next season explains that away or undercuts it or makes a huge left turn to otherwise avoid it.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:42 PM

Is it weird that when I saw Simone I was happy she was back because I like her character, but at the same time I was a little sad because her being on the couch meant that she had died on Earth?
Old 01-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Chidi has to teach the new group Eth(n)ics. So he can't hide.

StG
I agree that that seems to be the case... but from the initial discussion of the "experiment", it seemed like they were going to reproduce the original situation, which was four actual humans, in a fake good place, who banded together and got better.

That's very different from four actual humans, in a fake good place, and four other actual humans, who know what's going on and have been through it are also there helping them out, and will the new four humans get better?
Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 PM

What we know of Simone, it seems as if she is an actual good person, but the journalist is genuinely Bad Place material. Making him become a better person in only a year will be tough, and he may well pull Tahani down before she pulls him up. Jason and Derek competing for Janet will be fun. Chidi torn between Eleanor and Simone will be more on the painful side. And maybe one of Eleanor's exes will turn up next. Love triangles form some of the most difficult problems in ethics, or make people throw away their ethics in the "All's fair in love and war" sense.

Is it renewed for another season? If it isn't, the final exchange between Eleanor and Janet would make a good ending.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiotar View Post
Is it renewed for another season?
It is - announced in December.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
At first I thought there was a plot hole with blog douche knowing about Tahani's death that had been retconned out, but then I realized that he wasn't talking about the statue fall. Now I'm wondering why the world knows that she died in Canada--did they leave corpses behind when Janet shoved them into her hole or whatever?
Good catch; IIRC Janet did say she'd have to kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
Is it weird that when I saw Simone I was happy she was back because I like her character, but at the same time I was a little sad because her being on the couch meant that she had died on Earth?
Well, she had to die eventually. Still it's incredibly suspicious that out of 7 billon people on Earth the one most likely to cause the most trouble for Chidi just happened to just as they were doing the experiment. Then again she could've died decades later "Earth time" and she's just being given a youthful body in the afterlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Chidi didn't learn that he and Eleanor were a thing just because they lived in Australia. He learned it because she got access to Michael's files and revealed it to him. What couldn't that happen again?...
Well one problem is that if Chidi knew Simone before he died (the 1st time) as it appears then letting Chidi learn anything would open up a can sea of worms.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
GThen again she could've died decades later "Earth time" and she's just being given a youthful body in the afterlife.
...yeah, that's how I'm imagining it in my head, and I refuse to consider any contrary information Jeremy Bearimy, timey wimey, wibbly wobbly, it all makes sense in my brain!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

The only thing I'm disappointed about is having to put up with more of Simone's godawful Australian accent.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
... I agree completely with MaxTheVool that having the regular cast in the new experiment is a gigantic cheat that makes the new village meaningless.
I agree with you both.

Quote:
I've got to hope that next season explains that away or undercuts it or makes a huge left turn to otherwise avoid it.
The left turn could be that this is all still about the moral/ethical improvement of the four, or of Michael, or of all of them. Clearly the set-up is guaranteed to test all five--ostensibly through the malice of Sean, but....

The 'test agreed to by the Judge' aspect would, in this scenario, be nothing but a pretext for more ordeals being visited on the Five.

In re Janet's remark at the end of the episode:

SPOILER:
Eleanor says to Janet: “For a robot, you make a really good girl friend.” Janet replies: “I'm one out of three of those things.”

....Either she's not a robot and not a girlfriend, (but is good),
or not a robot and not good, (but is a girlfriend),
or not a girlfriend and not good (but is a robot).

Could be a throwaway, or could be important to the Season Four plot. I'm guessing the latter. But we have to wait to find out, fork it!
Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post

In re Janet's remark at the end of the episode:

Could be a throwaway, or could be important to the Season Four plot. I'm guessing the latter. But we have to wait to find out, fork it!
I interpret it as she's not a robot, she's not a girl, but she is a friend.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 PM

I thought she meant she was a friend, but not a robot or a girl.

Also, I think this is a officially sanctioned version of what happened in the first season. The original four are still being tested. Part of the test is to teach others to improve too. To see if the original trial run can be opened up to a larger group. Perhaps on the path to becoming a real purgatory. Not a medium place, but a place where souls can improve enough to be allowed into the Good Place. Eventually taking most who would have normally gone to the Bad Place.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Mr Shine is correct. Janet has often been called a robot or a girl, and she always immediately refutes both of those. This was just a continuation of that theme, but most importantly emphasises how she is Eleanor's friend.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Mr Shine is correct. Janet has often been called a robot or a girl, and she always immediately refutes both of those. This was just a continuation of that theme, but most importantly emphasises how she is Eleanor's friend.
You could well all be right. I focused on "good" as being one of the three "things" Janet was referring to, because it had more plot possibilities.

But, yeah. "Friend" makes for a warm season-ending scene. My only caveat is that Eleanor seemed to be talking about Janet as a "girlfriend" (of Jason) rather than as a girl who was a friend. (I typed it as two words accidentally. Not sure what canon is on the topic--that would be interesting to know.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:02 PM

Now that we are at the end of the season, I was rewatching season 1. Largely because Neflix just has the first 2 seasons.

It is interesting that the show seemed to be figuring Shawn's character as the show progressed. Shawn says at the beginning that he had been sleeping in goo for 28 years so he was not tired, and went into a cocoon everytime someone got emotional. Later that was all dropped and cocoons were used as punishment for other demons. Maybe it was an act as Shawn is from the bad place, but it seems like a switch in character.

Also, Shawn comes as a judge, which was a ploy as Shawn is revealed to be from the bad place. So why does he talk to Michael in private about how Michael is in trouble and in jeopardy of being retired, when Michael's plan had not unraveled in any way to that point? He also seems to imply it won't be his decision about retirement when he is later shown to be Michael's boss. He is scolding Micheal as if he is a good place judge. What do you think?

Last edited by Mikemike2; 01-31-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike2 View Post
Now that we are at the end of the season, I was rewatching season 1. Largely because Neflix just has the first 2 seasons.

It is interesting that the show seemed to be figuring Shawn's character as the show progressed. Shawn says at the beginning that he had been sleeping in goo for 28 years so he was not tired, and went into a cocoon everytime someone got emotional. Later that was all dropped and cocoons were used as punishment for other demons. Maybe it was an act as Shawn is from the bad place, but seems like a switch in character.
I'm pretty sure it was all supposed to be an act.

Quote:
Also, Shawn comes as a judge, which was a ploy as Shawn is revealed to be from the bad place. So why does he talk to Michael in private about how Michael is in trouble and in jeopardy of being retired, when Michael's plan had not unraveled in any way to that point? He also seems to imply it won't be his decision about retirement when he is later shown to be Michael's boss. He is scolding Micheal as if he is a good place judge. What do you think?
Michael's plan had unraveled. He wasn't expecting Eleanor to reveal she didn't belong. Her 1000 year long torture was supposed to be her constantly in fear of being found out.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:11 PM

Yeah Schur said on one of the podcasts that things like retreating into a cocoon any time anyone got emotional was supposed to be more torture for team cockroach. It's only in Season 2 that we start getting info about Shawn that is 'legit'.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Michael's plan had unraveled. He wasn't expecting Eleanor to reveal she didn't belong. Her 1000 year long torture was supposed to be her constantly in fear of being found out.
Okay, it was in danger of unraveling because of the Eleanor reveal.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Yeah Schur said on one of the podcasts that things like retreating into a cocoon any time anyone got emotional was supposed to be more torture for team cockroach. It's only in Season 2 that we start getting info about Shawn that is 'legit'.
Good point, but I still think Shawn's character and job description changed somewhat, what was revealed in Season 2 was decided after Season 1.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:03 PM

I just watched the season finale today. I thought it was really good. The show is well set up for many plot possibilities next year and we have not found out yet who the other two new people will be. Ted Danson continues to set the standard for acting.

Could either of the new people be Eleonor's old roommates? Or her old Boss? Is the bad place killing people to send up for the test?

Last edited by Mikemike2; 02-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike2 View Post
Is the bad place killing people to send up for the test?
Could be, or it could just be a Jeremy Bearimy thing where people die at various times over a period of decades, but are brought into the experiment at the same time.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 PM

The other residents of this neighborhood are all built by Janet, aren't they? Neutral characters? But what if they need to be tortured by the demons in order to do the work to become better people? A little motivating boost, as it were?

What if the other residents, built by Janet, become beings with will and soul? What will become of them?