Old 12-30-2018, 09:29 PM

Glass by M. Night Shyamalan. Anybody else getting excited for this?

It's a sequel to his last film Split and also a sequel to Unbreakable. I always loved Unbreakable and thought Split was pretty damned good. Shyamalan has Bruce Willis, Sam Jackson, and James McAvoy reprising their roles.

I like how Shyamalan has crafted a world with people who are superhuman, but not too superhuman. Plus Unbreakable and Split have very different tones, with one slow and plodding, and the other intense with drastic mood changes, which makes me wonder how Glass is going to play out.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/95ghQs5AmNk
Old 12-30-2018, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

This is the first I'm hearing of it. Thanks.

I'm one of those weirdos that likes ALL things Shyamalan. So I'll be checking this out.

Last edited by Grrr!; 12-30-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I'm one of those weirdos that likes ALL things Shyamalan. So I'll be checking this out.
Wait, you liked that Airbender movie? And that one with Will Smith and his kid?

Anyway, I am looking forward to Glass quite a bit. Split was a great movie, the first really good Shyamalan in awhile.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 PM

I watched Split today in anticipation of Glass. Split wasn't for me, but I liked Unbreakable. I'll be curious how it all ties together, for sure.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:51 PM

I liked Unbreakable but found it doesn't bear repeat viewing too well. I haven't seen Split. I thought the trailer for Glass looked intriguing.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I liked Unbreakable but found it doesn't bear repeat viewing too well. I haven't seen Split. I thought the trailer for Glass looked intriguing.
I do recommend Split quite a bit. Definitely required before seeing Glass. Like, you should go see it 100% before seeing Glass.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:16 AM

I'm not getting excited. He burned me too many times.

If it turns out to be good, well, that's what DVDs are for.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:34 PM

I liked Unbreakable, even if it was only 1/3 of a full story.

I completely missed Split. Don't even remember hearing anything about it.

I am glad that Unbreakable has not been left hanging. Back when it was new I recall reading an article about it and Shyamalan explaining he was always interested in the origin stories of superheroes, but what followed was NOT interesting to him, or something like that, hence why Unbreakable always felt like the first act of a story that never continued; it was never a complete story on its own.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I'm looking forward to it. I saw Split and liked it quite a bit.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:49 PM
BANNED

The Official Trailer looks excellent. Even if just merely builds upon the first one, this is going to be a good sequel. By adding in two new main characters the bald super powered villain and a new doctor I'm hoping we see new sub plots before the inevitable show down between David Dunn and the Beast.

It would be very interesting if Bruce Willis Character fails or dies, only to be saved by Mr. Glass himself.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I do recommend Split quite a bit. Definitely required before seeing Glass. Like, you should go see it 100% before seeing Glass.
If so, then I am not seeing Glass. I hate horror films.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
If so, then I am not seeing Glass. I hate horror films.
I wouldn't really call Split a horror film. The trailers played it up like one, but it's really more a thriller.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I wouldn't really call Split a horror film. The trailers played it up like one, but it's really more a thriller.
Eh, there were bits that were a bit horrific. My wife got mad at me because I "made" her watch it and she said it haunted her a bit.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:43 AM

Nick Fury, Prof X and David Dunn?? Hell yes!!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:48 AM

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this film too.
I have to give Shyamalan a lot of credit.
It seemed after The Village, Lady in the Water, and then The Last Airbender, his career was going downhill.
Now he's on the upswing again.

I haven't seen Split, but I loved Unbreakable, and Glass looks like it's going to be great.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I recommend seeing Split. I thought it was pretty good, and it introduced one of the main characters in this new film.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:39 PM

SO EXCITED! I was okay with Unbreakable, but LittleDose and I LOVED Split.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I like most of his movies, but even I couldn't stomach watching The Last Airbender and barely managed to slog through After Earth. Not to say I thought The Happening and Lady in the Water were good, but they had enough of the Shyamalan atmosphere I love so much to make them tolerable to me.

Quote:
Anyway, I am looking forward to Glass quite a bit. Split was a great movie, the first really good Shyamalan in awhile.
I thought The Visit marked his return to quality filmmaking, though it didn't have the tone and style I think of when I think of a Shyamalan film. It seemed like a "prove you don't suck" picture that re-earned him the ability to go back to his trademark filmmaking style with Split.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 01-01-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:20 AM

I absolutely loved Unbreakable, and I was very sad that it never got a sequel.

I enjoyed Split... and then, in its very last scene, it cemented itself as awesome (if you've seen the movie, you know why).

So yes, I'm quite excited about Glass.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:17 AM

Random uninformed guesses on the inevitable MNS twist at the end:
SPOILER:
Sarah Paulsen's doctor character turns out to have a hidden agenda - say, destroying or neutralizing everyone with superpowers because someone she loved was once killed by a superpowered person - which would make her the anti-Glass (Glass's agenda being to bring out superpowered people).

Less likely:
SPOILER:
She has superpowers too.

Unless:
SPOILER:
She had lost control of her own powers and hurt the aforementioned loved one, and thus devoted herself to "protecting" everyone else as above.

Again - only pure speculation based on nothing but previous MNS twists. Here's hoping MNS surprises us.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I am excited about seeing Glass, but I did not see Split because of the trailer.

For one, they seemed to be using the saturation method of advertising with the trailer for 9 months before it came out. If I've seen 2,400 minutes of the trailer on repeat I tend to not want to spend another 120 minutes seeing the actual film. But that's just me.

The trailer presented it as a standard crazy monster vs. attractive young woman in peril. Gee, I'v only seen that a thousand times before. YAAAAWWWNNers!

But, now that I know Split is part of a "universe" I am interested in, I suppose I will see it.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:43 AM

One interesting theory I've read is that Split wasn't really about the origin of the Beast- it was actually the origin story for Casey, the "final girl" of the movie. We know she's going to be in Glass, so it'd be awesome to see her emerge as a sort of Batman-type of superhero.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:05 AM

Yes. Hanging out!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:47 AM

I'm looking forward to it, also. We have an Alamo Drafthouse near us, which has ruined us for all other theaters. My husband bought us tickets to this Saturday's triple-feature of Unbreakable, Split and Glass. I've never sat for three movies in a row before, so this should be interesting. I expect I'll get up and stretch/stand while credits roll between each film.

On the other hand, they're calling for snow this weekend so I can't think of a better day to sit in a warm theater all day!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Your local theater is showing the movie this weekend? I just checked my local multiplex and it's not there for another week. But I went ahead and bought a ticket for Saturday, January 19.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 AM

When I first saw Unbreakable I was really impressed. I knew their had to be a sequel but what would it be called? Unbendable was what I came up with. Yeah, I'm not very good at movies.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

The reviews are coming in and they are not great. I know I'm a sucker, but consider me surprised. I thought M. Night could pull of this since I liked Unbreakable and Split so much. I will see this eventually, but many reviews emphasize disappointment.

Currently 37% on RT
Old 01-10-2019, 05:53 PM

Oof. I'm still gonna see it, but I might wait for video.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The reviews are coming in and they are not great. I know I'm a sucker, but consider me surprised. I thought M. Night could pull of this since I liked Unbreakable and Split so much. I will see this eventually, but many reviews emphasize disappointment.

Currently 37% on RT
I'll still go see it. Oddly, of the half-dozen or so movie critics I follow, only two have posted reviews and they're both in the "fresh" column. I still need to see Split, though.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
When I first saw Unbreakable I was really impressed. I knew their had to be a sequel but what would it be called? Unbendable was what I came up with. Yeah, I'm not very good at movies.
The best sequel naming theory I read was "Unbreakable", followed by "Breakable", and then finally "Broken".
Old 01-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Your local theater is showing the movie this weekend? I just checked my local multiplex and it's not there for another week. But I went ahead and bought a ticket for Saturday, January 19.
It was the "Shyamalanathon" hosted by the Alamo Drafthouse. It also featured a short, live Q&A with M. Night himself (at one of the NY theaters and livestreamed to the rest of us.

So I liked it a lot even though the ending wasn't what I wanted. (no spoilers here!)

Is anybody surprised that it's getting bad reviews? Critics seem to hate Shyamalan and even regular movie-goers always seem to either like or HATE his movies. I'd say if you've enjoyed his past stuff, you might like this also, so ignore the reviews and give it a try.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:32 PM

I have noticed the lack of any conspicuous mention of the "mind of M. Night Shyamalan" in the trailers, at least the ones I've seen.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:37 PM

Going to see this tomorrow. Figured I would resurrect this thread.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
This is pretty much where I'm at. I liked the movie when it came out, haven't enjoyed watching it again, didn't see Split, but Glass looks like it might be pretty good. I'll go see it.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 PM

We found Split excellent, and overall enjoyed it more than Unbreakable.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcWoman View Post
Critics seem to hate Shyamalan and even regular movie-goers always seem to either like or HATE his movies. I'd say if you've enjoyed his past stuff, you might like this also, so ignore the reviews and give it a try.
The most balanced criticism I'm seen of Shyamalan by a professional critic is that he is a very talented director who is unfortunately also usually a very poor writer. He'd be better off not writing or adapting his own scripts. I've liked exactly two of his movies, mildly disliked to hated all the rest that I've seen( IMHO The Happening is somewhere up there in the top five stupidest films in the history of film ). I'll see this one and also give Split a try because Unbreakable just happens to be one of his films that I did like. But I don't expect much and won't be shocked if I think it sucks.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 01-18-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I'll see this one and also give Split a try because Unbreakable just happens to be one of his films that I did like. But I don't expect much and won't be shocked if I think it sucks.
Yep. One critic said the problem with Shyamalan is can you complain about a movie having a sucky ending when the creator has specialized in making movies with sucky endings for twenty years?

To which I'd say - yes. The ending to Glass was an artistic choice I didn't like, but it's compounded by the fact that it's poorly and inconsistently executed.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:29 PM

I don't care what anyone says....it wasn't water in SIGNS. It was what was in the water. Impurities in the water. The girl says it doesn't taste right and yes her brother tries to dismiss her, but i don't care. it was impurities in the water. Also it was a Day of the Triffids homage.

Now, if you object to the whole "God works in mysterious ways" bit, ya i get it.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

I just came from Glass and usually I see movies based on the Rotten Tomatoes critic's ratings, but in this case I enjoyed the movie even though it's at 36% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Random uninformed guesses on the inevitable MNS twist at the end:
SPOILER:
Sarah Paulsen's doctor character turns out to have a hidden agenda - say, destroying or neutralizing everyone with superpowers because someone she loved was once killed by a superpowered person - which would make her the anti-Glass (Glass's agenda being to bring out superpowered people).

Eh, my guess wasn't too far off. I might even argue that my twist was better.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Charter Jays Fan

We're pumped for it.

It had a good weekend, making about $40 million. That is apparently quite a bit more than it cost to make.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
We're pumped for it.

It had a good weekend, making about $40 million. That is apparently quite a bit more than it cost to make.
Good for MNS. Tired of hearing the bleating about how many chances he's gonna get....despite JUST making an acclaimed movie.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcliffe View Post
I watched Split today in anticipation of Glass. Split wasn't for me, but I liked Unbreakable.
Me too, I wasn't interested in the plot of Split (modern audiences obsession with kidnapping split personality creeps boggles my mind) so gave it a pass years a go, but when I found out Glass was the THIRD in the series I had to see what was the second movie.

And the 'Shyamalan twist' is....wait for it....it's the sequel to Unbreakable.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:21 AM

I actually rather liked the movie. I can see how the ending would annoy some people, and it was certainly out of left field (although I wouldn't call it a "twist"), but I thought it was a decent way to wrap up the trilogy without baiting for more sequels.

I'm sure I'm definitely in the minority on this, but I really enjoyed the way the movie was shot. I think the constant close-ups heightened the drama a lot and I felt myself on the edge of my seat a majority of the movie.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:43 PM

Okay, not great. Close to a good movie, but somehow the MNS style falls flat again.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
The most balanced criticism I'm seen of Shyamalan by a professional critic is that he is a very talented director who is unfortunately also usually a very poor writer.
In defense of his writing, I feel compelled to point out that he's an even worse actor.

Last edited by gaffa; 01-21-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:11 AM
BANNED

Is Glass half empty or half full? I plan on seeing it.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:59 PM

I didn't like this. It was boring. The plot was illogical in many places (apparently this hospital has only three employees). The reveal was interesting but also made little sense. They made a lot of effort finally got what they wanted but did nothing to hide what happened (trying to be vague for spoiler reasons).

I would have liked an Unbreakable 2 and not this (it was cool they brought back the same actor that played his son though).
Old 01-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I enjoyed the movie while I watched it, but certainly there were flaws. That this mental hospital seemed to have only three employees was one. This spoiler-filled article talks about that and four other questions raised by the movie. (Like why was the Osaka Tower built up as the site for the climatic battle but was just a red herring in the end. The article speculates that perhaps budget issues made them change the ending. Or whether it made sense for Bruce Willis' character to die by drowning in a puddle.)

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 01-27-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 PM

Havent seen it but finally read the summary cause it was getting hard to avoid the spoilers.

I like what I read. The denouement sounds very 70's. Over 10000 years is just silly. Make it 2000 and the audience will assume Jesus was one. If they'd left out the 'happy' part of the ending it WOULD have been a 70's film ending.