Old 01-19-2019, 11:36 AM

Great Documentaries About Music?

I've seen so many about certain bands/artists, but I don't think I've seen a documentary about music; the history, or the language, evolution, how it spread early on, what effects it has on people, etc.

Last edited by MortSahlFan; 01-19-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:57 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

While not exactly what you describe, you might enjoy the 2016 documentary series Soundbreaking. It's about the history and evolution of recorded music, so it's focused on the past 100+ years, and it's about the innovation and experimentation that went into modern music. (Also, it was produced by Sir George Martin.)

Because of its subject matter, it doesn't focus on particular artists (though there are definitely a ton of musicians featured in it).
Old 01-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but there was the PBS documentary series Soundbreaking which aired last year. And hey, they're running it again at the end of March!

ETA: Ninja'ed!

Last edited by Shoeless; 01-19-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 PM

PBS, American Masters.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but you could try Sound City. Also, 20 Feet From Stardom was very good.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:43 PM

I'll check them out, thank you!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but you could try Sound City.
I enjoyed that one a great deal. Relatedly (as Dave Grohl produced Sound City), you might also check out the project he worked on after that: Sonic Highways, a documentary series about the music scene and history in various cities (New York, New Orleans, Nashville, etc.), which was hosted by Grohl and his band, Foo Fighters.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:41 PM

The Howlin' Wolf Story is excellent.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

The BBC series The Story of Music by Howard Goodall is great. His series How Music Works, also available on YouTube is also fascinating.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:59 PM

3rd on Soundbreaking. Great series.

Might also check out the little cheesy half-hours 'Rockumentaries' on the VICE channel. Shallow, but entertaining.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 PM

Focused on the Blues, The Land Where the Blues Began, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMe54XsJUE by Alan Lomax, John Bishop and Worth Long, is an outstanding documentary about how the Delta Blues evolved from African rhythms and traditions. As much as I appreciate the well-known bluesmen like Robert Johnson, Elmore James and Howling Wolf, IMO, these are the real bluesmen with stories to tell.

A bit of triva. In his book filming and editing this documentary, Lomax said that when Joe Savage is singing about his time at the county jail (44m:54s), he cut to Savage's hands because his facial expressions were too painful to watch. He soon realized that Savage wringing his hands was an even more powerful image that the keep in the film.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-19-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:31 PM

The BBC did a great 3 part documentary on the history of house music: Can You Feel It - How Dance Music Conquered the World. Here's the first part.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:39 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

If you're interested in the history of an individual instrument, Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey is worth watching.

Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World talks a lot about the influence of Native Americans in the music of America.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:28 PM

If you like it loud, "The Decline of Western Civilization" series are a good summation of the ca. 1980 punk scene in part 1, and the 80s and 90s L.A. metal scene in parts 2 and 3.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
The BBC series The Story of Music by Howard Goodall is great. His series How Music Works, also available on YouTube is also fascinating.
I recommend Howard Goodall's Big Bangs, which can also be seen on YouTube. It covers the inventions of notation, opera, equal temperament, the pianoforte, and recorded sound.

Radio Soulwax - This is Belgium Part 1 is about New Beat.

Synth Britannia is about the origins of British synth pop and sequelae.

Punk Britannia is about British punk. The link is to part 1 of 3.

Reggae - The Story of Jamaican Music is obvious.

Dub Echoes is about dub reggae.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Leonard Bernstein's radio lectures -- now podcasts, here: https://www.wqxr.org/story/bernstein...podcasts-past/ -- come closer to what the OP seeks, I think.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:14 AM

I really loved Leonard Bernstein's Omnibus and Young People's Concerts.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 AM

Also, Ken Burns's Jazz.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Also, Ken Burns's Jazz.
Great one.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 AM

Tom Dowd & the Language of Music
(sorry, no link)

Dowd was a recording engineer and producer for Atlantic Records, and worked with numerous legendary musicians.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but you could try Sound City. Also, 20 Feet From Stardom was very good.
Another one similar to "20 Feet" is "Standing in the Shadow of Motown", a documentary about The Funk Brothers and their often uncredited contribution to soul music.

Agree with "Sonic Highways". Grohl did a good job with that.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
While not exactly what you describe, you might enjoy the 2016 documentary series Soundbreaking. It's about the history and evolution of recorded music, so it's focused on the past 100+ years, and it's about the innovation and experimentation that went into modern music. (Also, it was produced by Sir George Martin.)

Because of its subject matter, it doesn't focus on particular artists (though there are definitely a ton of musicians featured in it).
Wow, missed this one completely. It's on Hulu now, and I just finished watching the first episode. Fascinating stuff.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 AM

In Beware of Mr. Baker, Ginger talks about how African drumming heavily influenced his style, which in turn became the template for many drummers styles after Cream.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM

If radio documentaries are your thing BBC 6 Music has a lot of them online (though not all of them are online at any given time), and they can be very in depth (which I am a fan of personally, lack of content is the main sin of a lot modern documentaries IMO)...

Mento to Lover's Rock, history Jamaican Music by Linton Kwesi Johnson. 10 episodes:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sf8sb

A-Z of Psychedelia in 26 (obviously) 10 minute episodes:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015gnhg
Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 PM

I'm not into their music, but thoroughly enjoyed A Band Called Death. They were a hard rock band from Detroit. They were offered a record company contract - provided they change their name. And of course the industry had a difficult time wrapping their heads around the idea of of Black brothers playing hard rock. They were completely forgotten except for a single that wound up being discovered by a collector.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
I'm not into their music, but thoroughly enjoyed A Band Called Death. They were a hard rock band from Detroit. They were offered a record company contract - provided they change their name. And of course the industry had a difficult time wrapping their heads around the idea of of Black brothers playing hard rock. They were completely forgotten except for a single that wound up being discovered by a collector.
Damn. I don't know anything about this band, but just looked up "For the Whole World to See" album on Youtube, and, shit, WHY haven't I heard of this band? This is incredible stuff. Will check out the documentary. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

If you have access, the BBC are currently showing a 3-part series called Guitar Drum and Bass, each part presented by a well known player.

I thought the Tina Weymouth one on bass guitar was very good, the Stewart Copeland drum one had some very good stuff, but a bit too much of Copeland waving his arms around, and I haven't seen the Lenny Kaye one yet.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 PM

It Might Get Loud with Jack White, Jimmy Page, and The Edge.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
I really loved Leonard Bernstein's Omnibus and Young People's Concerts.
Seconding this. Turner Classic Movies TCM showed a number of them last summer (on his 100th birthday). There's a DVD set on Amazon with these episodes:
  • Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony (1954)
  • The World of Jazz (1955)
  • The Art of Conducting (1955)
  • American Musical Comedy (1956)
  • Introduction to Modern Music (1957)
  • The Music of Johann Sebastian Bach (1957)
  • What Makes Opera Grand? (1958).
Old 01-22-2019, 11:59 PM

I enjoyed The Future Is Unwritten about Joe Strummer.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Q View Post
It Might Get Loud with Jack White, Jimmy Page, and The Edge.
Best. Music documentary. Ever.

Watching Jack White construct then play that "guitar" was mesmerizing. Seeing the joy on Jimmy Page's face while playing some of his favorite records after all these years.....just magic.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 AM

The Most Feared Song in Jazz, Explained: Making sense of John Coltrane's "Giant Steps."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tIvfP9A2w
Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 PM

How about the "Muscle Shoals" documentary? I really liked it.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:29 PM

Lots and lots of great suggestions so far. Given the fact that the blues is the basic for almost everything in popular music that came after, I strongly recommend the 7 pieces series Martin Scorcese Presents The Blues. It's essential.

And for a different perspective, two great documentaries about kinda cult acts that were essentially doomed from the beginning, produced some of the most staggering recordings in their respective fields but never had the chance to hit it big in their times, the reasons laid out in those documentaries:

Big Star - Nothing Can Hurt Me about Big Star.

Be Here To Love Me
- about the late great Townes Van Zandt
Old 01-23-2019, 07:44 PM

Festival Express is good, especially if you like early 70's Rock and Roll.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:12 PM

A little hard to find now, but I really enjoyed this history of rock & roll called, Rock & Roll.

It didn't go chronologically, but rather by sub-genre. They had episodes about glam rock, funk, Motown, the British invasion, punk, rap, etc. The funk episode was particularly great. I found a lot of new favorites the first time I watched it, which I still listen to today.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Damn. I don't know anything about this band, but just looked up "For the Whole World to See" album on Youtube, and, shit, WHY haven't I heard of this band? This is incredible stuff. Will check out the documentary. Thanks.
Glad you dug it! Do check out the documentary as well. I learned about them when the Oak Park School of Rock did a proto-Punk show and the kids loved their music. I Tweeted their performance and one of the members of the band replied and was just so great about it.

Last edited by gaffa; 01-24-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Glad you dug it! Do check out the documentary as well. I learned about them when the Oak Park School of Rock did a proto-Punk show and the kids loved their music. I Tweeted their performance and one of the members of the band replied and was just so great about it.
Love the energy of the kids, especially the guitarists and drummer. How did they end up playing this out of all the songs out there?
Old 01-24-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Love the energy of the kids, especially the guitarists and drummer. How did they end up playing this out of all the songs out there?
Every show has a director who has the job of making a playlist and guiding the weekly three hour rehearsals - and all of them are working musicians, generally from local/regional bands (it's a good job for a working musician - you don't have to get up before noon.) The rest of the show were the usual suspects - Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, the Damned, the Ramones - with a few lesser-knowns like Alternative TV, Sonic's Rendezvous Band and Death. The kids also have weekly one-on-one lessons on their song. This goes on for 12-16 weeks, then they have a pair of shows in a real venue.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 PM

Sound city. I'm too lazy to find a link. But it was made by Dave Grohl about the Sound City music studio in van nuys.