Old 01-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Well, I thought I invented the world's best popcorn hack.

Last night I decided to pop a bag of popcorn.

Sitting on the kitchen counter is a bag of brown sugar left over from the night before. I suddenly became inspired and decided to take a handful of brown sugar and mix it with some melted butter, and drizzle it over the popcorn.

Holy crap that was good!

Looking on the Internets though, I see I'm not the only one to think of this. Although, others are mixing in cinnamon as well.

And even better idea!

So, do you guys have any popcorn hacks?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

When I was a kid, a favourite treat was to coat popcorn in melted butter and cinnamon sugar...
Old 01-17-2019, 09:46 AM

That just ruins it for me. One time I got a bag of kettle popcorn which is basically that monstrosity, man was that stuff horrid.

Just salt, butter or some times other oils is all I need for my popcorn, though sometimes I do like it plain.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Cheapo Italian seasoning mix($1 at the dollar store) and Parmesan cheese in a jar. If you use expensive seasoning and cheese it's a foul. The flavors would be too strong.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Although I'm a fan of just real butter and popcorn salt, I might give the brown sugar hack a try!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Internet hack: every time I read "hack" I mentally replace it with "Hints from Heloise."

And yeah, we regularly make popcorn with butter, salt, and cinnamon sugar, and it's awesome.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 AM

We have friends who have a Hot Food Party every winter. I try to come up with something original every year (like Hot (spicy) Hot Fudge Sauce on Ice Cream).

One year I thought I'd come up with the greatest idea -- Hot (Spicy) Popcorn.

I went to the store to get popcorn to try it out, and found they already had boxes of Spicy Microwave Popcorn on the shelves.

Well, it proves that the idea was good.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Instead of brown sugar, try real maple syrup.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I mix together butter and lemon olive oil, then sprinkle with both salt and pepper. Occasionally, I like to add curry powder to the butter and oil.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:05 PM

I have found a product called bacon salt, which is really just hickory flavoring mixed with salt. Tastes great on popcorn and french fries.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:14 PM

I buy that Smart Food stuff. It's prepopped and flavored so it's a real timesaving hack.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:02 PM

I sometimes put butter and Cajun seasoning on my popcorn.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM

Back in my college days I had a friend who would add a bit of powdered ranch dressing mix. ::shudder::

Personally I think he did it so he wouldn't have to share.

ETA: Bacon Salt is da bomb.

Last edited by Projammer; 01-17-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Melt cinnamon candy disks in a sauce pan and drizzle the resulting syrup over freshly popped, lightly salted popcorn (spread out on a baking pan covered in foil or wax paper). Allow it to cool, then break it up into chunks for hot/salty/sweet treats.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:53 PM

I use butter flavor cooking spray and Molly McButter sprinkles. I prefer it over real butter at this point.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM

On my popcorn I sprinkle in turn, a few shakes of salt-free lemon pepper, 1/4 tsp of citric acid (sometimes found in the kosher section as "sour salt"), and a bit of sugar (1/2 tsp to a couple of cups, popped). No butter, don't like the taste. And yeah, the mixture doesn't stick well. But that means it falls to the bottom of the bowl and when you're done with the popcorn, you lick your finger and mop up the peppery, sweet, sour seasoning. Yum.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 01-17-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:25 PM

Popcorn gets salt, butter, and black pepper! If you haven't tried this, you really should. The beauty of this is you don't have to put the pepper on the whole bowl or bag- just try some on a handful. You'll be glad you did.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Smoked paprika is awesome on fresh popcorn.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 AM

For one frightening minute, I thought this post was going to be Norther Piper finally getting his yellow lentils to pip! ( no offense, NP, but that was one funny post)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:35 AM

Ooh, I have one of these: pop the popcorn in a pan with oil (peanut for preference, I think), and add a few splashes of sesame oil. Too much is overwhelming, but if you get it right it adds a wonderful hint of flavor.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Truffle Oil and sometimes parmesan. So good.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:30 PM

I can definitely agree with truffle oil and parmesan.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Back in my college days I had a friend who would add a bit of powdered ranch dressing mix. ::shudder::

Powdered ranch dressing is a pretty useful thing. There's a recipe where you toss oyster crackers (those teeny dime-sized pillows) with oil to make them sticky and then toss with powdered ranch dressing. Pretty finger-lickin' good.

And a recipe that takes an envelope of ranch dressing mix, an envelope of brown gravy mix, and an envelope of Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix--mix them all together with a can of beef broth and pour over a beef chuck roast or beef ribs in a slow cooker. Dee-VINE! [/recipe hijack]
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 01-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Cheapo Italian seasoning mix($1 at the dollar store) and Parmesan cheese in a jar. If you use expensive seasoning and cheese it's a foul. The flavors would be too strong.
we pop in olive oil, and that, with the addition of dehydrated granulated garlic is our favorite nosh. I toss a bottle of italian seasoning in a magic bullet blender and powder it, and it mixes better with the garlic and cheap green can parmesan.

never really been fond of sweet popcorn, I associate it with Cracker Jacks, and I don't happen to like peanuts so I tend to not be interested in carmel corn/kettle corn/whatever
Old 01-21-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

When I melt the butter I will somtines throw in a few dashes of hot sauce. Not too much though. Stir it around and toss with the popcorn.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 PM

Old Bay Seasoning
Old 01-21-2019, 07:09 PM

I like popping corn in bacon grease. Mmm, mmm, good!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:05 PM

Duck fat and smoked paprika. And to ensure they're all popped, heat the fat until three or four test grains are all popped. Then remove from pan the heat, add the corn, and roll in the pan for 30 seconds until they are all an even temperature. Then return the pan to the heat, and they will all pop happily.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Back in the 70s, my dad became a big popcorn fan. As snack foods go, it’s really cheap. Every night after most of the kids were asleep, he’d take the medium-sized saucepan (IIRC, he never went for microwave popcorn), and pop up a serving to munch while he watched TV.

He kept this up well into the 80s. I remember coming home on leave one year, and he and Mom had just that day received a trio of exchange students from Germany into the house. So Dad actually broke out the eight-quart Dutch oven and made a huge pot of popcorn for all of us. Then he poured melted butter over it and sprinkled it with granulated sugar.

I thought it was the most genius thing I’d ever seen, and couldn’t WAIT to get back to base and try it myself.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-21-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
Old Bay Seasoning
Huh. I need to try this. Might be the real protip of the thread. I love Old Bay chips, but never thought of trying this.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Ghirardelli makes a caramel sauce in a squeeze bottle that's intended for ice cream. It's awesome on freshly popped popcorn. You can add a couple squeezes of their chocolate sauce as well if you want to go nuts. (PS can you spell Ghirardelli without looking it up? It still looks funny.)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

When my blood pressure was out of control I was on a big popcorn kick and needed something low salt to toss over it. Two products emerged as surprisingly tasty popcorn topping

Nutritional yeast

Powdered buttermilk

They pack a lot of flavor and go well with the texture of popcorn.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:38 AM

My old roommate came back from Puerto Rico oncwith popcorn drizzled with what tasted like liquefied Lifesavers. Interesting to try once, not twice. Maybe with butter rum Lifesavers...
Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 AM

Ever try anchovy popcorn?

I always have a tall stack of canned anchovies in my pantry—the ones in the 2-oz pull-tab cans packed in olive oil. I use canned flat anchovies as toppers for my homemade pizzas (I don’t like to brag, but my homemade pizzas would put the best pizza parlors in New York, Chicago, Славянск-на-Кубани and Detroit to shame). I use rolled anchovies (each anchovy wrapped around a single plump caper) as cracker toppers. Sometimes, if I’m feeling jiggy, I just pop them in my mouth with no cracker (it should go without saying that after I pop them in my mouth, I chew and swallow).

Ironically (and I use that term ironically), when the last anchovy has been extracted from the can, you’re left with a tablespoon or more of savory, anchovy-infused olive oil. Seems like kind of a waste to let a delicacy like that go to waste, doesn’t it?

Popcorn drizzled with warm anchovy flavored olive oil!

I’ve never tried it myself. It sound pretty gross to me, so I just chuck the remaining oil and can into the trash bin. But, it sounds like something some of you may enjoy. So, your welcome!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

My favorite popcorn dressing is Ethiopian spiced ghee + the hot spice blend berbere. But I practically never make that; it's messy. Most of the time I just give the popped corn a dash of plain salt and have at it. I take plain kernels and pop them old school on the stove with a little peanut oil. They don't need extra grease then.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHiddy View Post
I can definitely agree with truffle oil and parmesan.
I've done truffle salt and butter -- we've actually thought about bringing it into the theater... Maybe someday.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:02 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Last night I decided to pop a bag of popcorn.

Sitting on the kitchen counter is a bag of brown sugar left over from the night before. I suddenly became inspired and decided to take a handful of brown sugar and mix it with some melted butter, and drizzle it over the popcorn.

Holy crap that was good!

Looking on the Internets though, I see I'm not the only one to think of this. Although, others are mixing in cinnamon as well.

And even better idea!

So, do you guys have any popcorn hacks?
Isn't brown sugar and melted butter on popcorn basically how caramel corn is made?

How do you guys sprinkle brown sugar or other seasonings on popcorn and have it stick? Did you melt the butter, add brown sugar and then mix it all together in a big bowl?

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-28-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:32 PM

Warning about using the green-can, grocery-shelf Kraft parmesan cheese over warm popcorn. My father used to do this & the entire house smelled of spew. Ugh.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:17 PM

Melted butter or olive oil and alder smoked sea salt. Yum!
Old 01-29-2019, 01:42 PM

Tabasco sauce sprinkled liberally. Good stuff.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath94 View Post
Warning about using the green-can, grocery-shelf Kraft parmesan cheese over warm popcorn. My father used to do this & the entire house smelled of spew. Ugh.
Yep, that stuff is vile. Fortunately, good parmesans exist.