Old 01-19-2019, 10:32 AM

low sodium ..... mayonnaise???

Hi,
I'm using low sodium products to avoid taking blood pressure medication. It works; but one of the things I like are salad sandwiches, tuna, egg, chicken, that use mayonnaise containing 5% (of recommended daily sodium) or more , per tablespoon. So, I'm trying to find a low sodium alternative. There are recipes on the net, that would do the trick; but I'm trying to avoid making my own.
Does anyone have any suggestion, other than changing my diet
Thanks,
..... john
Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Making mayonnaise yourself is easy. You can drop the salt, and you can use mustard powder or grind up your own mustard seeds.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Deleted

Last edited by bob++; 01-19-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:32 AM

You could try using less mayonnaise and adding some Greek yogurt.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, cutting it with something like yogurt or sour cream would help. I'm looking at the various mayos I have in the fridge (Duke's, Hellman's, Heinz, Kewpie), and they all have sodium levels of 75-100 mg (3-4% USRDA) per tablespoon. Sour cream is only 15g per two tablespoons, so that'll help cut it a lot, and, at least growing up in a Polish household, it was very common to cut mayo with sour cream about half and half in salad sandwiches and even things like coleslaw. That would reduce the sodium level per tablespoon to about 40-55mg per tablespoon (2% USRDA), depending on the brand of mayo you're using (Duke's was lowest at 75mg; Heinz at 80mg; Hellman's at 90mg; Kewpie at 100mg).

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-19-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Actually a cheap hand powered blender, under $20 will make good fresh mayo and you can control everything that way.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carryon View Post
Actually a cheap hand powered blender, under $20 will make good fresh mayo and you can control everything that way.
Yes, it is rather straightforward to make, especially with a stick blender, but the OP seems to want to avoid making their own.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-19-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:53 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

This is better suited to Cafe Society, so let's move it there (from GQ).
Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carryon View Post
You don't need a blender; a whisk is all you need.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Hi,
I like the idea of blending yogurt or sour cream with mayonnaise. Is Greek yogurt the popular choice of yogurts? I guess sour cream is just ......... sour cream. What proportions work best to start?
Thanks,
.... john
Old 01-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
You don't need a blender; a whisk is all you need.
Yes, you can do it with a whisk (and I have many times--that's what I learned with), but if you're talking to somebody who is already weary about making their own mayonnaise, I'm not sure a more laborious effort is going to convince them.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-19-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinnen View Post
Hi,
I like the idea of blending yogurt or sour cream with mayonnaise. Is Greek yogurt the popular choice of yogurts? I guess sour cream is just ......... sour cream. What proportions work best to start?
Thanks,
.... john
With sour cream (and I would assume yogurt, too) 50-50 is fine. I just googled "chicken salad sour cream" to make sure, and this Pioneer Woman recipe came up, which uses equal parts mayo and yogurt (and also mentions you can use sour cream or even buttermilk.)

Quote:
I throw about 1/2 cup of mayonnaise into a bowl…(NOT Miracle Whip, please! Miracle Whip is from the devil.)

Along with 1/2 cup plain (absolutely non-flavored) yogurt. And here’s where you can really play with your ingredients: Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, Plain Yogurt, even Buttermilk—find the combination/permutation you prefer and go with it! Buttermilk makes the mixture slightly more thin, which some folks like.

(Note: You can also use this base to make cole slaw. We’ll try that around the Fourth of July.)
Old 01-21-2019, 03:19 PM

Thanks again for your help.
I'll try that.
.... john
Old 01-21-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yes, you can do it with a whisk (and I have many times--that's what I learned with), but if you're talking to somebody who is already weary about making their own mayonnaise, I'm not sure a more laborious effort is going to convince them.
Actually, a whisk is better than a hand blender because you don't spray stuff all over the place. And let me tell you, cleaning that up is indeed laborious!
Old 01-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Actually, a whisk is better than a hand blender because you don't spray stuff all over the place. And let me tell you, cleaning that up is indeed laborious!
I'm not sure how you're doing it, but I've never had that issue. Maybe we're thinking of two different devices. I'm talking about something like this being used in a tall container meant for immersion blenders. There's no spray all over the place at all, and it's done in just seconds vs minutes with a whisk.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

I made the mistake of using an ordinary mixing bowl.