Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

I remember a story (actually I think it was part of a series of stories) about time travelers whose mission was to stop the Challenger disaster....but not our Challenger disaster, but the one where the passenger compartment crashed into a school, killing hundreds of children and completely shutting down the American space program. I think part of the plot also involved one of te time travelers being sent back too far - to 1963, just in time to try to prevent JFK's assassination.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkMeister View Post
I remember a story (actually I think it was part of a series of stories) about time travelers whose mission was to stop the Challenger disaster....but not our Challenger disaster, but the one where the passenger compartment crashed into a school, killing hundreds of children and completely shutting down the American space program. I think part of the plot also involved one of te time travelers being sent back too far - to 1963, just in time to try to prevent JFK's assassination.

I know this one - it's a series of stories by Paul Levinson "Late Lessons" is one of them - http://www.sff.net/people/paullevinson/books.html
Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! SmartAleq's story reminded me of it, but unfortunately all my back copies of Analog and Asimov's are still packed up. At first I thought it might have been the same story he was thinking of, but the more I thought about it there seemed to be too many differences.

I notice in your link that there's a concluding story to the series coming out entitled "Last Calls". As I remember it, the third story, "Late Lessons", pretty much closed up the story line. Now I'm wondering what I might have missed.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:22 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderoid View Post
That sounds like Robert Silverberg's World's Fair 1992 but I don't remember the name of the ship in that novel. The first half of the novel concerned the teenager working at the World's Fair Space Station, and then he gets assigned to the Pluto trip because he wrote an insightful essay about what life on Pluto might be like.

*** Ponder
Finally got the book through Amazon and read it, and you're right. The ship isn't named Lodestar, but otherwise I'm 95% sure this is the book I was thinking of. Not a bad read at all, with some interesting debate on xenoanthropological ethics.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolga View Post
Unfortunately, my friend remembers very little detail other than what I provided. He stated that he read it back in college, so around 1990, and that the story included a description of a moped from the point of view of the main character (an Aztec or Incan boy), so that the story had to be relatively recent. He doesn't remember if it was a stand-alone piece, or a part of a compilation of Latin American writers, or something else.

Peter Morris, I will ask. Thank you, and thanks to anybody else who can provide suggestions!
Resurrecting zombies here is valid, ain't it? Anyhow, if I remember it correctly, it's a short story by Cortázar. Though it might be one of Borges's (they tend to run together in my mind).
Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I know this one - it's a series of stories by Paul Levinson "Late Lessons" is one of them - http://www.sff.net/people/paullevinson/books.html
Just popping in here to say the story trilogy is "Loose Ends," "Little Differences," "Late Lessons."
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkMeister View Post
Thanks! SmartAleq's story reminded me of it, but unfortunately all my back copies of Analog and Asimov's are still packed up. At first I thought it might have been the same story he was thinking of, but the more I thought about it there seemed to be too many differences.

I notice in your link that there's a concluding story to the series coming out entitled "Last Calls". As I remember it, the third story, "Late Lessons", pretty much closed up the story line. Now I'm wondering what I might have missed.
You can get them all on fictionwise.com - just search on my name (Paul Levinson).

And, yes, there will be a fourth and concluding story, "Last Calls," which should blow everything wide open ...
Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
You left out "Bottommos" for the low-slung 3rd moon of Mars.
I'll have to confess that I have read and reread that story for years, trying to figure out whatinhell the pun is. Anybody help me out??

I also have been trying to find a story for years. I thought it was Bradbury, but I've not found it in any of his collections.

The story opens in a pub in a small village in Ireland, where the locals are having a pint or six. A tour bus pulls up, and a flamboyantly gay tour group disembarks, remarking about how quaint the town is, etc. The locals make various remarks about the newcomers, until one of them points out that they gays are not so unlike the locals - they both drink, are fond of singing, and don't have much to do with women (after all, the locals are all drinking in the pub rather than going home to their wives). So the two groups spend the afternoon drinking, telling stories, and listening to one of the tour singing "Danny Boy" and other tunes in a fine, high tenor. A good time is had by all.

When the gays get back on the bus and head back to Dublin, the locals wave goodbye, invite them to come back soon, etc. As the story ends, one of the locals remarks that, just for a day, "the fairies came back to Olde Ireland".

It sounds offensive as all hell, but it's handled with a fair degree of sensitivity, especially for it's day (it must be at least 30 years old if not more).

Any ideas??
Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I'll have to confess that I have read and reread that story for years, trying to figure out whatinhell the pun is. Anybody help me out??
Bottomos = "Bottom-most"

Last edited by Andy L; 09-09-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting
Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Bottomos = "Bottom-most"
Hmm... not much of a pun, and not really funny. Big overture, little show.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:

I also have been trying to find a story for years. I thought it was Bradbury, but I've not found it in any of his collections.

The story opens in a pub in a small village in Ireland, where the locals are having a pint or six. A tour bus pulls up, and a flamboyantly gay tour group disembarks, remarking about how quaint the town is, etc. The locals make various remarks about the newcomers, until one of them points out that they gays are not so unlike the locals - they both drink, are fond of singing, and don't have much to do with women (after all, the locals are all drinking in the pub rather than going home to their wives). So the two groups spend the afternoon drinking, telling stories, and listening to one of the tour singing "Danny Boy" and other tunes in a fine, high tenor. A good time is had by all.

When the gays get back on the bus and head back to Dublin, the locals wave goodbye, invite them to come back soon, etc. As the story ends, one of the locals remarks that, just for a day, "the fairies came back to Olde Ireland".

It sounds offensive as all hell, but it's handled with a fair degree of sensitivity, especially for it's day (it must be at least 30 years old if not more).

Any ideas??

This is Bradbury's "The Cold Wind and the Warm", in the collection "I sing the Body Electric" I think.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggitCamara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolga View Post
A friend of mine and I are in the middle of an IM conversation about SF, and he just sent me a synopsis of a novella he read in college but can't remember the name or author.

The main character is this Aztec kid, running from the scene of a battle. He gets captured, and he's going to be sacrificed. When he sleeps, he has a dream of a huge city, men riding on contraptions that sound like giant insects, or inside self-propelled carriages. In the dream, he gets hit by a car and wakes up as his Aztec self. The story goes back and forth as the hour of his execution approaches,
asleep in one world and is awake in the other and vice versa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Resurrecting zombies here is valid, ain't it? Anyhow, if I remember it correctly, it's a short story by Cortázar. Though it might be one of Borges's (they tend to run together in my mind).
DiggitCamara is correct. It's a short story called "La noche boca arriba" or "The Night Face Up" by Julio Cortázar. Great story, by the way. It's pretty much standard in most college Spanish courses.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
This is Bradbury's "The Cold Wind and the Warm", in the collection "I sing the Body Electric" I think.
If you are right (I'm off to the library) thank you!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 AM

Yep, that's the one! Thanks, Andy L!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 AM

How about these:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=531362

Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's the one! Thanks, Andy L!
No problem.

Say I have a book identification for the SDMB mass mind to help me find.

It's a young adult novel that I read in 1978 or 1979 - about two high school students (who didn't particularly get along at first, partially because one boy was a science type and one was into writing poetry and such), who are transported to a fantasy realm, where magic works. They work together using their skills together to come up with spells that work (spells have to be poems, but figuring out how to make them work requires science). Two features I remember in particular are a bit of doggerel from the poet "The Mathematics of the Heart adds together what's apart" and the fact that the fantasy realm has a school system that uses the term "low school" (in contrast to "high school"). Anyone remember it?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 PM

I wonder if it is worth posting in this thread or if it is just going to get locked.

This is a fantasy story, not sci-fi, but maybe someone will know it. I'm pretty sure it's a short story.

The retired head of the Assassins guild takes in a young orphan(?) boy and trains him as an assassin. Well, it is kind of more about preventing assassinations in some ways. He uses small stones to show if there was a trap or poison in something, so if you find a stone, you're dead. Like maybe you are drinking tea, and look in the teapot and there is a stone there - the tea was poisoned. The story is told from the point of view of the boy, and is mostly about how the training goes, and how totally paranoid the boy becomes. At the end, he goes to the big city with his teacher and they visit the Assassin's Guild. The boy straight away finds some of the more obvious traps (indicated by these small stones) and then tears the place apart looking for more. I seem to remember him searching through the hot coals in the fireplace, and something about a bath.

I would love to know who the author was. I think it was male.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 PM

Here's a reverse question: I swear, somewhere, that I saw this title of a short story (or maybe novella): "I Polyglot, Who You?" Despite it having an uncommon word, I can't find it mentioned anywhere online. It's both memorable and suggestive, and I'd like to know what the story was.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

I've heard of that story. The title is "I ____, Who You?". The blank is a nonsense word that's vaguely like "polyglot," but it's something else.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

I found it using the proper search on the Internet Speculative Fiction Database:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?756765

As you can see, it's "I Plinglot - Who You?" by Frederik Pohl.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM

In hopes this doesn't get locked...

One I've been trying to find for years - has to be at least 20 years old, if not more.

A scientist uses a hollow rubber statuette to hold leftover bits of experimental ooze. The ooze becomes sentient and mobile, and goes on a bit of an adventure. I believe the story ends with the ooze being put into the skull of a body that has lost its brain (or never had one), and becoming human.

Sort of a Pinocchio vibe, I guess. With some Pygmalion, maybe.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4 View Post
In hopes this doesn't get locked...

One I've been trying to find for years - has to be at least 20 years old, if not more.

A scientist uses a hollow rubber statuette to hold leftover bits of experimental ooze. The ooze becomes sentient and mobile, and goes on a bit of an adventure. I believe the story ends with the ooze being put into the skull of a body that has lost its brain (or never had one), and becoming human.

Sort of a Pinocchio vibe, I guess. With some Pygmalion, maybe.
"The Smallest God" by Lester Del Rey, published in 1940 (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?45385). Would have found it faster but I kept thinking Ted Sturgeon or Fred Brown
Old 09-11-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
I found it using the proper search on the Internet Speculative Fiction Database:

AHA! I was thinking it could be something other than polyglot, but "who you" is hard to search for.

Of course, now "I Polyglot" turns up one search result: this thread. Asking to identify a SF story has a kind of quantum observer effect.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:41 PM

I asked about this once before on the Dope with no results, but I'll happily try again.

This was a novel. Paperback. Prolly 1970s. I thought it was called Pen Island or Penitentiary Island but I've never been able to find it under that name.

Plot: In the future, crime is bad and society forms a new prison on an island (a la Escape From NY, etc.) Man is sent to an offshore penitentiary (framed for the death of his wife, I think). Guard towers out in the ocean form a perimeter. He has to learn and adapt to life with brutal men and women on the Island, where the most popular past time is either playing or watching a rough and tumble sport that is a cross between football, rugby, and a small riot.

He finds a woman, eventually becomes friends with the nasty guy who he tussled with when newly arrived, and in the end somehow manages to storm a tower and broadcast to the world what was really happening on Pen Island.

I've been trying to find this for more than 25 years now with no luck. I'm pretty sure I read it in the late 70s or very early 80s (no later than 82), and it was a book that I found in boxes of things at my grandparents house while visiting one summer. It was a lot of fun, and I'd love to find it and sit it next to my cherished copy of Walpurgis 3.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-11-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:12 PM
SDSAB

Sounds a bit like, but probably isn't, Robert Heinlein's short story "Coventry": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_(short_story)
Old 09-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
I wonder if it is worth posting in this thread or if it is just going to get locked.

This is a fantasy story, not sci-fi, but maybe someone will know it. I'm pretty sure it's a short story.

The retired head of the Assassins guild takes in a young orphan(?) boy and trains him as an assassin. Well, it is kind of more about preventing assassinations in some ways. He uses small stones to show if there was a trap or poison in something, so if you find a stone, you're dead. Like maybe you are drinking tea, and look in the teapot and there is a stone there - the tea was poisoned. The story is told from the point of view of the boy, and is mostly about how the training goes, and how totally paranoid the boy becomes. At the end, he goes to the big city with his teacher and they visit the Assassin's Guild. The boy straight away finds some of the more obvious traps (indicated by these small stones) and then tears the place apart looking for more. I seem to remember him searching through the hot coals in the fireplace, and something about a bath.

I would love to know who the author was. I think it was male.
You say fantasy, but I'm remembering something similar, and it was SF. A human ship had been blown up in alien space and one of the aliens was raising a human child in order to give his people someone who might be able to communicate with the next humans that he was assuming would eventually come.

There were movies and such from the ship to expose the child to, so it's not like he thought that all humans would just be able to talk to each other. It wasn't an assassin he was raising the boy to be, but something else, something with status within the alien society. They're used as judges. I remember a flashback with the alien's daughter saying something like, "Decide between me and ____", a request which trapped him into attempting to train her as a whatever, even knowing that she'd fail and die. So what I'm remembering was not told from the boy's perspective, at least no totally.

Regarding the stones, not only was there a stone hidden under the fire in the room, (which was built on sand), but there was a stone hidden a foot under the stone hidden under the fire. Sorry that I don't remember more. I think I read it in the late seventies or early eighties.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I asked about this once before on the Dope with no results, but I'll happily try again.

This was a novel. Paperback. Prolly 1970s. I thought it was called Pen Island or Penitentiary Island but I've never been able to find it under that name.

Plot: In the future, crime is bad and society forms a new prison on an island (a la Escape From NY, etc.) Man is sent to an offshore penitentiary (framed for the death of his wife, I think). Guard towers out in the ocean form a perimeter. He has to learn and adapt to life with brutal men and women on the Island, where the most popular past time is either playing or watching a rough and tumble sport that is a cross between football, rugby, and a small riot.

He finds a woman, eventually becomes friends with the nasty guy who he tussled with when newly arrived, and in the end somehow manages to storm a tower and broadcast to the world what was really happening on Pen Island.

I've been trying to find this for more than 25 years now with no luck. I'm pretty sure I read it in the late 70s or very early 80s (no later than 82), and it was a book that I found in boxes of things at my grandparents house while visiting one summer. It was a lot of fun, and I'd love to find it and sit it next to my cherished copy of Walpurgis 3.
The date doesn't fit, but "The Penal Colony" by Richard Herley sounds close (see here http://www.amazon.com/Penal-Colony-R.../dp/0345358759). Amusingly, when I googled "Peniteniary Island novel" the first item found is this thread.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:

This is a really good story, by the way...
Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
"The Smallest God" by Lester Del Rey, published in 1940 (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?45385). Would have found it faster but I kept thinking Ted Sturgeon or Fred Brown
Hey, you are pretty good.

Now to find a copy of it...
Old 09-11-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
You say fantasy, but I'm remembering something similar, and it was SF. A human ship had been blown up in alien space and one of the aliens was raising a human child in order to give his people someone who might be able to communicate with the next humans that he was assuming would eventually come.

There were movies and such from the ship to expose the child to, so it's not like he thought that all humans would just be able to talk to each other. It wasn't an assassin he was raising the boy to be, but something else, something with status within the alien society. They're used as judges. I remember a flashback with the alien's daughter saying something like, "Decide between me and ____", a request which trapped him into attempting to train her as a whatever, even knowing that she'd fail and die. So what I'm remembering was not told from the boy's perspective, at least no totally.

Regarding the stones, not only was there a stone hidden under the fire in the room, (which was built on sand), but there was a stone hidden a foot under the stone hidden under the fire. Sorry that I don't remember more. I think I read it in the late seventies or early eighties.
Weird, I don't remember anything about aliens. But the bit about the second stone in the fireplace I do remember now that you say it, so it must be the same story. It may not have been mostly from the boy's point of view, but he is really the only character I remember.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
The date doesn't fit, but "The Penal Colony" by Richard Herley sounds close (see here http://www.amazon.com/Penal-Colony-R.../dp/0345358759). Amusingly, when I googled "Peniteniary Island novel" the first item found is this thread.
Yeah, I've looked at this book before, and 2 things don't fit: the date, and there's no mention of the brutal brand of football they play. The football thing was a large part of the book, with at least 1 chapter on practices/training and 1 describing a complete game.

I've also seen Desolation Island by Terry Lloyd Vinson when I google, but it's way too recent.

They both sound like good reads, tho, so maybe the search hasn't been totally in vain, eh.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bottomos = "Bottom-most"
Quote:
Hmm... not much of a pun, and not really funny. Big overture, little show.

You have to know the names of Mars' other two moons, Phobos and Deimos. Then you get a third moon keeping the -os ending.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

De La Rue writes:

> I was thinking it could be something other than polyglot, but "who you" is hard
> to search for.

O.K., here's an opportunity for a learning experience. The SDMB is not just a place to get questions answered, it's a place to learn how to answer those questions yourself. It hasn't been easy for me to say this at times. There have been occasions when I point out to a poster that they could easily have answered their question themselves with an easy search on the right website, but they reply (in effect), "Screw you. It's not my job to do any searching. It's your job. I'm far above that sort of work. That's why I come to the SDMB, to make you do my work for me." Sorry, this isn't aimed at you, De La Rue, but I've got nasty replies from other posters when I try to explain to them how to answer questions themselves.

Look at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Click on "Advanced Search."

Since I was fairly sure that the title was "I _____, Who You?," I entered the word "I" into "Term 1," the word "who" into "Term 2," and the word "you" into "Term 3" (all this in the "Title Search Form"). When I clicked on "Search Query," I get a page of answers. One of them is "I Plinglot - Who You?," written by Frederik Pohl. So it takes less than a minute to answer your question if you realize that the word "polyglot" isn't there, but "I," "who," and "you" are there.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4 View Post
Hey, you are pretty good.

Now to find a copy of it...
It's in "The Early Del Rey" which is a nice book to have anyway (that's where I read it). According to ISFDB it's also in a collection called "Classic Science Fiction: The First Golden Age" edited by Terry Carr.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
De La Rue writes:

Look at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Click on "Advanced Search."

Since I was fairly sure that the title was "I _____, Who You?," I entered the word "I" into "Term 1," the word "who" into "Term 2," and the word "you" into "Term 3" (all this in the "Title Search Form"). When I clicked on "Search Query," I get a page of answers. One of them is "I Plinglot - Who You?," written by Frederik Pohl. So it takes less than a minute to answer your question if you realize that the word "polyglot" isn't there, but "I," "who," and "you" are there.
Thanks Wendell - I use ISFDB all the time but I didn't know about the advanced features.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Can you tackle a children's story for me?

It was a series, which is to say that there were at least two books by the same author with the same main characters.

One main character was a little boy from Earth. The other was a little boy from the (i.e., Earth's) moon.

The totality of my recollection is that they visited the moon in one of the books and someone commented that while scientists on Earth were busy trying to learn more about the speed of light, scientists on the moon were trying to learn about the speed of darkness.

I read them ca. 1976-78. Been curious about them for several years now.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulLev View Post
You can get them all on fictionwise.com - just search on my name (Paul Levinson).

And, yes, there will be a fourth and concluding story, "Last Calls," which should blow everything wide open ...
Looking forward to it!
Old 09-13-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:

O.K., here's an opportunity for a learning experience. The SDMB is not just a place to get questions answered, it's a place to learn how to answer those questions yourself. It hasn't been easy for me to say this at times. There have been occasions when I point out to a poster that they could easily have answered their question themselves with an easy search on the right website, but they reply (in effect), "Screw you. It's not my job to do any searching. It's your job. I'm far above that sort of work. That's why I come to the SDMB, to make you do my work for me." Sorry, this isn't aimed at you, De La Rue, but I've got nasty replies from other posters when I try to explain to them how to answer questions themselves.
Excellent point. As one browses or participates in a what-is-this-story thread, one hopefully picks up on useful databases and searches them first before turning to the SDMB in a last resort.

Also, a ISFDB note: any search terms in quotes will be listed as showing no results. Which I think tripped me up before, as I usually start a multiple-word search with the terms in quotes.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 PM

There was a story in Analog in the late '80s sometime. Archeologists where working in an urban landfill (Los Angeles)? Studying relatively recent history. They turned up the skeleton of a little girl, maybe 12 years old. It seemed like a tragic story, some girl gets kidnapped and killed, and buried in the dump. Then they found another skeleton, and another, and another. There were millions of skeletons in the landfill. It turned out the archeologists were the unknowing descendants of a body-snatchers style invasion, and these were the city's former residents.

I'm not sure if there is a way to find this in ISFDB, since story entries don't come with a synopsis (at least not the ones I checked from Analog).
Old 09-14-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjohnson View Post
There was a story in Analog in the late '80s sometime. Archeologists where working in an urban landfill (Los Angeles)? Studying relatively recent history. They turned up the skeleton of a little girl, maybe 12 years old. It seemed like a tragic story, some girl gets kidnapped and killed, and buried in the dump. Then they found another skeleton, and another, and another. There were millions of skeletons in the landfill. It turned out the archeologists were the unknowing descendants of a body-snatchers style invasion, and these were the city's former residents.

I'm not sure if there is a way to find this in ISFDB, since story entries don't come with a synopsis (at least not the ones I checked from Analog).

That one I can answer off the top of my head: "Detritus Affected" by David Brin
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks, I asked about this on Analog's forum, and no one could give me a title or author. It's interesting that it is Brin, he is my favorite (aside from Asimov and Clarke, any discussion of favorites comes after them).
Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 PM

I read a short story sometime around the late 1970s about a scientist (a botanist, maybe) who came across some kind of potion or drug that he took that slowed his metabolism down so much that he could finally see the violence in the plant kingdom. Plants fighting for water, choking each other out, etc. I think at the end of the story he was stuck and about to get choked out by vines or something. My memories are a little vague.

Does that sound at all familiar?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjohnson View Post
Thanks, I asked about this on Analog's forum, and no one could give me a title or author. It's interesting that it is Brin, he is my favorite (aside from Asimov and Clarke, any discussion of favorites comes after them).
According to ISFDB it was published in F&SF not Analog (I read it in Brin's collection "Otherness" which is a great book) http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?47159
Old 09-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post
I read a short story sometime around the late 1970s about a scientist (a botanist, maybe) who came across some kind of potion or drug that he took that slowed his metabolism down so much that he could finally see the violence in the plant kingdom. Plants fighting for water, choking each other out, etc. I think at the end of the story he was stuck and about to get choked out by vines or something. My memories are a little vague.

Does that sound at all familiar?
Amazingly enough, I found this one "Alien Earth" by Edmond Hamilton, published in 1949 http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?41675 (I used some obvious keywords to find a thread on rec.arts.sf.written (USENET), and did some other googling to confirm)

Last edited by Andy L; 09-14-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added details
Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 PM

We subscribed to Analog, but once in a while I bought F&SF off the newstand, so this must have been in one of those. No wonder I could never track it down.

Brin actually wrote a script based on it, but the production company that bought the option and commissioned it doesn't have it listed as one of their projects in development.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post

Cukoo's Egg, by C J Cherryh?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeu D'Esprit View Post
Cukoo's Egg, by C J Cherryh?
I haven't read it, but based on the summary here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuckoo%27s_Egg_(novel) that might be right
Old 09-15-2009, 06:11 PM

I thought of a short story I'd like to read again, prolly from MF&SF or Asimov's or Analog in the late 70s or early 80s.

The story was long-ish, novella size, about a guy who lived inside a huge, planet-size spaceship and his journey thru it for something (power cells? medicine? can't remember). It was so old that it was breaking down, I seem to recall, and travel thru it was rare, almost non-existent. Various levels has different dominant cultures and maybe even life forms. I seem to recall that he had discovered an old elevator system that he was using.

I think the end was that he finally found a way out onto the surface, where he confirmed that he was indeed inside something constructed.

Also pretty sure that artwork on the cover was inspired by this story.

Unfortunately, I lost a lot of my old SF mags while I was in college, and I've been unable to find this story in any compilation about artificial worlds since.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I thought of a short story I'd like to read again, prolly from MF&SF or Asimov's or Analog in the late 70s or early 80s.

The story was long-ish, novella size, about a guy who lived inside a huge, planet-size spaceship and his journey thru it for something (power cells? medicine? can't remember). It was so old that it was breaking down, I seem to recall, and travel thru it was rare, almost non-existent. Various levels has different dominant cultures and maybe even life forms. I seem to recall that he had discovered an old elevator system that he was using.

I think the end was that he finally found a way out onto the surface, where he confirmed that he was indeed inside something constructed.

Also pretty sure that artwork on the cover was inspired by this story.

Unfortunately, I lost a lot of my old SF mags while I was in college, and I've been unable to find this story in any compilation about artificial worlds since.
Doesn't ring a bell, and I haven't found any useful hints online yet. Let me know if you think of any other facts about it, and I'll keep thinking.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Doesn't ring a bell, and I haven't found any useful hints online yet. Let me know if you think of any other facts about it, and I'll keep thinking.
Here's a link to a list of books with megastructures - one of them might be your novella (later expanded into a book)http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...t%22+spaceship