Old 04-19-2016, 06:09 AM

Hamilton is coming to London in 2017. Excellent!! I wonder when tickets will go on sale and if it will be as hard to get them as on Broadway.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
I will counter with It's Quiet Uptown.
Miranda describes the difficulty they had with the show's flow that this song solved. After Eliza's furious "I hope you burn," they had trouble showing the audience how the two could plausibly be reconciled.

One member of the crew -- the choreographer, maybe? -- and his wife were going through a family crisis with a terminally ill child. And in writing a note to them, Miranda said, "There are moments that words can't reach." And that, he said, was the key that unlocked that song.

When the song was done, he sent it to them, saying that he didn't know if this was a good idea or not; feel free to never listen to it....their child had passed away.

They told him later they listened to it every day for a week.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:03 AM
SDSAB

Nice story - thanks.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
Miranda describes the difficulty they had with the show's flow that this song solved. After Eliza's furious "I hope you burn," they had trouble showing the audience how the two could plausibly be reconciled.

One member of the crew -- the choreographer, maybe? -- and his wife were going through a family crisis with a terminally ill child. And in writing a note to them, Miranda said, "There are moments that words can't reach." And that, he said, was the key that unlocked that song.

When the song was done, he sent it to them, saying that he didn't know if this was a good idea or not; feel free to never listen to it....their child had passed away.

They told him later they listened to it every day for a week.
Thank you for sharing this story. That is one of my favorite songs in the show. Even the reprise later "Best of wives the best of women" gets me a little.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:23 PM

FF to 14:15 to hear the Lin-Manuel Miranda related content in this Radiolab episode about the deathwatch beetle. It helps to listen to the whole thing though to get the context.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:10 PM

A slightly fictionalized version.......

Quote:
Today, in what is widely being hailed as a crushing defeat for America’s democratic institutions, a visibly shaken and battered Treasury Secretary Jack Lew gave in to one of the nation’s most powerful lobbies.

“The Department of Treasury would like to formally rescind previous stated plans to replace Alexander Hamilton on the $10 reserve note,” Lew nervously stuttered.

The press conference was delivered to the backdrop of the entire Original Broadway Cast of Hamilton standing with crossed arms and menacing glares.

Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator and star of Hamilton, said the decision reversal was fortunate, and “certainly more desirable than the alternative of a duel.”
Of a real story.

The Ten Dollar Founding Father Without a Father will stay on the ten. Andrew Jackson will get the heave-ho from the twenty.

Last edited by Bridget Burke; 04-20-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:09 PM

They wanted to put Rosa Parks on the back of the bill, but her picture refused to stay there.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:23 PM
SDSAB

Heh. Looks like it'll be Harriet Tubman - a remarkable woman in any era, and of any race.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:27 PM

I guess they'll escape from my wallet even quicker now.

Just listened to Hamilton for the first time on a road trip this weekend and still reeling.
Literally did a cheer at the shout out "Sit down John! You fat motherfucker!" and Cabinet Battle 1 is one of the most brilliant book numbers ever written ("wha-ever the hell it is you do at Monticello!"), but Quiet Uptown is probably my favorite number in the piece.

Last edited by Sampiro; 04-20-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:53 AM

Bah, blasted outage! I've been waiting for two days to deliver this vital statement: Quiet Uptown breaks my heart something fierce so I have only been able to listen to it twice so far, but my current favorite is Dear Theodosia. Or at least that's the one that's currently playing in my brain, although I enjoy the intricacy of other songs like The Ten Duel Commandments, Satisfied, Yorktown, Non-stop, and My Shot. And pretty much all the others.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
I guess they'll escape from my wallet even quicker now.

Just listened to Hamilton for the first time on a road trip this weekend and still reeling.
Literally did a cheer at the shout out "Sit down John! You fat motherfucker!" and Cabinet Battle 1 is one of the most brilliant book numbers ever written ("wha-ever the hell it is you do at Monticello!"), but Quiet Uptown is probably my favorite number in the piece.
I listed to it this weekend on a road trip as well. On the way up I heard the first part, twice, and on the way down the whole thing. I am blown away. The last song finished a few blocks from my house, giving me enough time to dry my tears before going inside.

And I can't get King George's song(s) out of my head. Da de da da da....
Old 05-01-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post

And I can't get King George's song(s) out of my head. Da de da da da....
"They will tear each other into pieces, Oh My God this will be fun" - my daughter and I kept singing that when the topic was the Republican presidential race.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
"They will tear each other into pieces, Oh My God this will be fun" - my daughter and I kept singing that when the topic was the Republican presidential race.
Not to be pedantic, but you dropped an internal rhyme.

"They will tear each other into pieces.
Jesus Christ, this will be fun."
Old 05-02-2016, 06:07 PM

The reprise of Stay Alive is also pretty powerful.

If Lin Manuel Miranda never does anything more artistically challenging than an episode of Two Broke Girls in his future career, he can still be called a genius for the rest of his life.

Last edited by Sampiro; 05-02-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
The reprise of Stay Alive is also pretty powerful.

If Lin Manuel Miranda never does anything more artistically challenging than an episode of Two Broke Girls in his future career, he can still be called a genius for the rest of his life.
Rightfully so. His other show In the Heights is also brilliant and is playing on London's West End (in the Kings Cross). Airfare and tickets to that show probably cost less than tickets to Hamilton. If you can swing it, it's probably worth the trip. http://intheheightslondon.com/
Old 05-03-2016, 02:26 PM
SDSAB

The show now has a record number of Tony nominations: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/entert...016/index.html
Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Hamilton - The Musical

16 nominations in 13 categories (the two male leads and 3 of the featured cast are in the running against one another).

The current musical with the most wins in a year is The Producers with 12 -- it had 15 nominations in 12 categories and swept them all (and had the same deal with the male actors). So people will be counting as the awards progress.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-03-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:21 PM

I'm late to the party, and know nothing about Broadway or musicals; but I listened to the album out of curiosity and think it's a staggeringly brilliant piece of work. There are a couple of things here and there that jar - the 'pennyless' and 'any less' rhyme, and 'she expecting me and she's expecting' - both made me groan; - but out of thousands of lines they are hugely in the minority.
As a non american I can see why the story of the fight to identify what America is would be salient today and resonate so strongly in this delivery - ie modern American music, but the idea is one thing; - the execution is unbelievably well achieved.
(As a Brit, the guy playing George III's accent is astonishingly bad. Dick Van Dyke bad)
My favourite performance amongst many fine singers is the singer who plays Mrs Reynolds.
Thanks to the Dope again for stretching my musical limits. I have never before listened to a musical's soundtrack.

MiM
Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 PM

Coming to Chicago, and tickets are already supposedly impossible and/or outrageously expensive. So count me out. (Glad the wife agrees!)
Old 05-12-2016, 12:28 AM

There was a brief window of time tonight (less than an hour!) when a few face value tickets for November & December just went on sale through Ticketmaster and I managed to pick one up before they all sold out again! Woohoo! I'll actually be seeing the show!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Macau View Post
(As a Brit, the guy playing George III's accent is astonishingly bad. Dick Van Dyke bad)
Jonathan Groff is the actor who provided the voice of Kristoff in Disney's Frozen, btw.

Quote:
My favourite performance amongst many fine singers is the singer who plays Mrs Reynolds.
And Peggy!

(Seriously, it's good that she got more than just Peggy Schuyler.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Jonathan Groff is the actor who provided the voice of Kristoff in Disney's Frozen, btw.

And Peggy!

(Seriously, it's good that she got more than just Peggy Schuyler.
I haven't seen Frozen. In the stage show, I'm guessing Peggy is played for laughs?

MiM
Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
There was a brief window of time tonight (less than an hour!) when a few face value tickets for November & December just went on sale through Ticketmaster and I managed to pick one up before they all sold out again! Woohoo! I'll actually be seeing the show!
Wow!! Congratulations!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Macau View Post
I haven't seen Frozen. In the stage show, I'm guessing Peggy is played for laughs?

MiM
No. Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton & Angelica Schuyler Church appear in both acts of the play. Peggy only appears in the first half--Margarita "Peggy" Schuyler Van Rensselear died rather young.

But the same actress shows up in Act 2 as the notorious Mrs Reynolds.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantih View Post
Wow!! Congratulations!
Thanks! Apparently in an effort to curb all the scalping reselling going on, Ticketmaster cancelled a bunch of large multi-ticket purchases for November & December, which is where those surprise tickets came from on Wednesday!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/14/th...s-tickets.html

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 05-13-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:28 PM

Two things: first is this super-cool timeline of Alexander Hamilton's life featuring annotations to the lyrics and songs from the cast album, which is presently consuming 93% of my time: http://atlanticrecords.com/hamiltontimeline/

And the other is a funny bit that I came across somewhere online. This is a paraphrase but as close as I can remember it:

EVERYTHING: is all right
HAMILTON: quotes 'Macbeth'
EVERYTHING: goes to hell
Old 05-31-2016, 06:46 PM

I've only seen the clips on YouTube and a few gifs, but they blow me away even more. Especially in the closing number as Eliza sings

SPOILER:
My love, I can't wait to see you again. Hamilton crosses behind her with a wistful look, and she turns and just misses him disappear into the darkness.

Apparently a few of the primary performers, including Miranda, are leaving in July when their contracts are up.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

On the 9th, so Maggie caught one of what will be an even hotter (if that were possible) ticket!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:57 AM
SDSAB

More on the cast changes, and soaring ticket prices. The last paragraph made me smile: http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/03/medi...nda/index.html
Old 06-06-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
On the 9th, so Maggie caught one of what will be an even hotter (if that were possible) ticket!
Apparently resale value on the tix I got is at about $4k each :O
Old 06-13-2016, 12:25 AM

Hamilton only won 11 Tonys tonight. Cynthia Erivo won Best Actress in a Musical for The Color Purple--probably a more impressive part than the quiet strength of Phillipa Soo's Eliza. She Loves Me won for Scenic Design--the Art Nouveau shop in Old Budapest was quite charming. (Zachary Levi's in the play? I watched for Hamilton but saw bits of other plays I'd love to see.) Otherwise, Hamilton won everything.

Three actors from the show were up for Featured Actor in a Musical; Daveed Diggs won. And Leslie Odom Jr won Best Actor in a Musical over LMM. The Hamilton cast did the opening number & a closing number. Plus the Yorktown number from the show--without muskets, as as sign of respect for what happened in Orlando.

LMM's "speech" for winning Best Score was a sonnet.

Quote:
My wife’s the reason anything gets done
She nudges me towards promise by degrees
She is a perfect symphony of one
Our son is her most beautiful reprise.
We chase the melodies that seem to find us
Until they’re finished songs and start to play
When senseless acts of tragedy remind us
That nothing here is promised, not one day.

This show is proof that history remembers
We lived through times when hate and fear seemed stronger;
We rise and fall and light from dying embers, remembrances that hope and love last longer
And love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside.
I sing Vanessa’s symphony, Eliza tells her story
Now fill the world with music, love and pride.

Last edited by Bridget Burke; 06-13-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 AM

That had my wife in tears. Thanks Lin, making the rest of us guys look like uncultured, hard-hearted loser
Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 AM

Loved his speech.

I got an e-mail at around 10:45 that at 11:15 pm a new block of tickets were opening up last night. At 11:17 I learned the first date I picked in February 2017 was sold out. Tried two more dates after that but by then it was hopeless....

Hoping the secondary market prices drop once people realize the current cast is leaving in the coming months.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

After seeing the 60 Minutes segment and the Tonys, LMM is an intelligent, likeable person who is going to go far. I noticed the cast did not have their guns in the opening number.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
After seeing the 60 Minutes segment and the Tonys, LMM is an intelligent, likeable person who is going to go far. I noticed the cast did not have their guns in the opening number.
Indeed they made a statement on Twitter that morning they would forgo the muskets in deference to the murders in Orlando.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:49 AM
SDSAB

See pp. 4-5 here, in the official Mount Vernon magazine, for coverage of the special Washington Prize given to Miranda: http://www.mountvernon.org/magazine/...-the-magazine/
Old 06-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
After seeing the 60 Minutes segment and the Tonys, LMM is an intelligent, likeable person who is going to go far.
Going to go? He has two Tony awards for best musical to his credit, a MacArthur genius grant, drama desk awards, A PULITZER and productions of his plays running simultaneously on 3 continents, and has written for Disney as well. He is the biggest star in live theater at the moment. I don't know that he can go a whole heck of a lot farther.

Last edited by NAF1138; 06-22-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:24 AM

Bought tickets yesterday for November in Chicago. First day they went on sale.

Wasn't hard at all to get tix - just cost a helluva lotta $!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Bought tickets yesterday for November in Chicago. First day they went on sale.

Wasn't hard at all to get tix - just cost a helluva lotta $!
You were luckier than most.

I managed to "reserve" tickets on Ticketmaster, my wait time shot up to 45 minutes, and then 20 minutes later it just kicked me out. By the time I got back on all that was left was the super premium seats or obstructed view seats.

I'm just going to enter the daily lottery and wait until they extend the run. I'm definitely not buying anything on Stubhub unless the resellers realize they over bought and prices go down.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Weird. My wife did the ordering, so I don't know too many specifics. But it didn't seem hard at all. In the a.m. she was trying to do it via Safari, but was kept waiting endlessly. In the p.m. she tried Firefox, and got right in. I think we bought them around 4:30 p.m. And at that time, we had our choice of seats on just about every date we tried.

I don't know what super premium means, but we paid A LOT for main floor pretty close to the stage. Tho we spent a lot, we have seen shows w/ crappy, distant, obstructed seats in the past, and I'm simply not going to do that again.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:

I don't know what super premium means, but we paid A LOT for main floor pretty close to the stage. Tho we spent a lot, we have seen shows w/ crappy, distant, obstructed seats in the past, and I'm simply not going to do that again.
Super premium meaning the $500 dollar seats. I'm guessing that's what you bought?

Last edited by enalzi; 06-22-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Weird. My wife did the ordering, so I don't know too many specifics. But it didn't seem hard at all. In the a.m. she was trying to do it via Safari, but was kept waiting endlessly. In the p.m. she tried Firefox, and got right in. I think we bought them around 4:30 p.m. And at that time, we had our choice of seats on just about every date we tried.

I'd say you were pretty lucky. My wife and I were both trying nonstop from 10 am until I had to go to work at noon, and she tried again until almost 1, and we could never get far enough for Ticketmaster to even show us any seats for the four dates we were looking at.

But ... we also ended up lucky. Later in the evening, as my wife started working backward from the March 19 final on-sale date, she stumbled upon 5 seats in the orchestra for March 16. It's a Thursday, sure, and we'll just have to take the end of the week off work (we're in Iowa), but we can do that.

I was poking around at other (mostly weekend) dates after that, and most shows are either totally sold out or have one or two single seats left. Maybe there's more available for weekdays, but I don't think anybody is getting their choice of seats by today, On-Sale Day plus one.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:57 AM
SDSAB

Sooner or later there will be a touring company (or companies) out in the (relative) hinterlands. I really want to see the show, but I can wait until then.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Sooner or later there will be a touring company (or companies) out in the (relative) hinterlands. I really want to see the show, but I can wait until then.
My problem, you see, is my spouse (and children, but they're out of the house now) are absolutely ga-ga nuts over this show. I think it's incredible, just from a listen to the soundtrack, but the rest of my family is certifiable, and would no doubt lease me if it got them tickets.

So not only did we subscribe to the 2016-17 Broadway season at the Des Moines Civic Center (in order to guarantee us subscriber access to the 'Hamilton' tour coming in the 2017-18 season), but we went through Ticketmaster purgatory for these Chicago tickets in March (and my wife is still hoping to score more).

Meanwhile my son shelled out tickets for July 9 in New York. Yes, that's supposed to be the final performance for Lin-Manuel and Phillipa. Yes, the news broke before he bought them. Yes, they were a king's ransom - although by now those tickets are going for twice what he paid.

Last edited by Uncle Jocko; 06-22-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Super premium meaning the $500 dollar seats. I'm guessing that's what you bought?
No comment!

My wife wanted to go - I've seen enough theater to last a couple of lifetimes and would have gladly passed... But what the heck, at this point we're just pissing away our kids' potential inheritance!

The way I rationalize it, it is a heck of a lot cheaper than a weekend to NY to see a Broadway show. And, like I said, if I'm going to see a show, nothing pisses me off more than paying a high price to sit in the nosebleed section, peering through binoculars. For that reason, I'd rather splurge on good tix for fewer shows.

Once you decide to bite the bullet, the difference between - say $4-600 for balcony and $1000 seems less significant to me. Anyone want to dress up in a full body Dinsdale suit and see if we can get away with you accompanying my wife? I might pay extra for THAT!
Old 06-22-2016, 02:01 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
I've seen enough theater to last a couple of lifetimes and would have gladly passed...
These SEEM like English words when taken in isolation, but as a sentence it just .... makes no sense.

[/incredible jealousy at your tickets]
Old 06-22-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jocko View Post
Meanwhile my son shelled out tickets for July 9 in New York. Yes, that's supposed to be the final performance for Lin-Manuel and Phillipa. Yes, the news broke before he bought them. Yes, they were a king's ransom - although by now those tickets are going for twice what he paid.
Leslie Odom too. (Possibly others, if they don't renew their contracts, whether by their own choice or the producers.)

Damn, that performance is going to be insane.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
These SEEM like English words when taken in isolation, but as a sentence it just .... makes no sense.

[/incredible jealousy at your tickets]
Ditto ditto ditto.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
Apparently resale value on the tix I got is at about $4k each :O
The seat right next to mine is now going for $5,707. This is for July 7, two days before Miranda/Soo/Odom leave. A week later and similar seats are going for half that.

Holy crap.

Last edited by Maggie the Ocelot; 06-22-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:21 AM

Even the 'half that' is holy-crap-worthy! I'm still impatiently awaiting specifics about the show coming to London, and I cherish the hope that many of the original cast will be part of the show when it opens there.