Old 10-22-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
Did the episode say where the flashback was set? I assumed it was in a French-speaking country and that we were hearing a translated version of Chidi speaking really good French while his boot-wearing colleague spoke French with an obvious accent.
Australia.

But hey, they don't speak English there. Ketchup is "tomato sauce"? Really?

Last edited by DSeid; 10-22-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:07 PM

Just watched the last ep! WOW! As with others, I didn't think that would happen so soon. I thought we were in for long drawn out attempts for Eleanor to hide herself with Chidi feeling really bad about doing so. For her to do to save others is just... I wonder if her numbers vault so high with that confession that she ends up 'belonging' in the Good Place (whatever it actually is) after all.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:34 PM

Kristen Bell, even when she is being evil, is as cute as a puppy dog's nose.

But I'm really enjoying watching Ted Danson. Is he having a good time playing Michael, or what?

mmm
Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Just watched the last ep! WOW! As with others, I didn't think that would happen so soon. I thought we were in for long drawn out attempts for Eleanor to hide herself with Chidi feeling really bad about doing so. For her to do to save others is just... I wonder if her numbers vault so high with that confession that she ends up 'belonging' in the Good Place (whatever it actually is) after all.
According to what Michael said to Tahani the points calculation stops once you die; so nothing you do in the afterlife can effect your ranking. Then again if they never had an Eleanor situation before then all bets are off as to how it'll be resolved.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:41 PM

Yup. All bets are off.

This Eleanor who actually "belongs" there? Not sure how good someone who like clown art could be.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

If there's a real Eleanor, then there's a real Jihani as well. (That poor, poor monk).

((Fake Jihani playing with the cactus in the background in Michael's office was awesome))
Old 10-28-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Yup. All bets are off.

This Eleanor who actually "belongs" there? Not sure how good someone who like clown art could be.
Agreed. And Tahani's passive aggressive neediness/condescending benchiness/insecurity/vanity, humblebrags about pop culture friends has to be on about the same level as having vanity license plates, doesn't it?

I'm surprised that J-dog hasn't slipped up noticeably yet. And that Chidi's confession of murdering Janet had no repercussions. I still want to believe that it already is the medium place, but that people have to come to the realization themselves.

This show surprises me every time, and that is good.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:42 PM

I was a little surprised the train to the Bad Place was leaving with the "good" Eleanor, until I thought about it and realized a dick move like that is just the kind of thing Bad Place people would do.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

For a comedy, this show has surprising depth (in some ways, it's demonstrating what Chidi had been writing). The conflict set up at the end of this episode is brilliant, and really the stuff of drama.

The theme of moral choices and what's good and what's bad really makes the show stand out.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Do we really trust that The Bad Place's Eleanor is really her? The Bed Place could be substituting anyone for Kristen Bell.

StG
Old 10-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Michael, finishing up interview with Tahani: "Thank you, Tahani, you've been a big help..."

...truth cube buzzes and turns red. Ha!

Last edited by blondebear; 10-28-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Do we really trust that The Bad Place's Eleanor is really her? The Bed Place could be substituting anyone for Kristen Bell.

StG
Good point, but I think it really is the Eleanor who was supposed to go to the Good Place. The fact that she exists in the first place sure makes the decision of what to our Eleanor a lot more complicated.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
The Bed Place
Sounds relaxing.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Did anyone else want the other Eleanor to also be played by Kristen Bell?
Old 10-29-2016, 01:35 PM

Yes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2016, 12:46 AM

I have to admit, fake Eleanor's version of the Bad Place does sound pretty bad, but I also am not big on being a team player.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:07 AM

So what's going on with the Buddhist monk?
Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 AM

How perfect was tonight's episode? So funny. Sean? Bad Janet? "Who are they going to trust, me or a woman?" A Unicorn Bib?
Old 11-04-2016, 04:22 AM

If Windows ME had a Bad Janet interface, it would still be around.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:15 PM

So if Trevor is an architect like Michael what are the beings in his entourage? It doesn't look they're damned humans, so they're what sub-architect? Do Bad Place architects get assistants? That would make sense if 99.9999% of humanity goes to the bad place they'd have a much higher work load; especially if they usually stay in their neighborhoods to make sure everything stays terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
So what's going on with the Buddhist monk?
Speaking of them; how did Jianyu Li get mixed up with Jason Mendoza? Their names are different and I doubt Jianyu just happened to be visiting Florida (or Jason Taiwan) when they died. And does anyone else think it'd be funny if Jason's personal Bad Place involved silent meditation in a Buddhist monastery?
Old 11-04-2016, 08:52 PM

I was half expecting Jason to volunteer to go to the Bad Place when he heard they had jalapeno poppers, etc., there.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:49 PM

Damn, I love Adam Scott. I hope they keep him around a while.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Scorpi-oties? The creature on on the banner in the school cafeteria is amusingly hideous.

Last edited by blondebear; 11-04-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:39 PM

JANUARY?!

It seems like we just got going, and now we have to wait 2 months. Thanks, NBC.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:31 PM

Well, this place is certainly taking some...interesting turns.

I'll admit, I was really worried when I saw "Good Eleanor" step off the train. I find the good person sent to Hell an incredibly tiresome trope, and not ONCE have I seen it done in a way that wasn't unbelievably ham-handed and unsatisfying. (I'm looking at you, Hell Girl. ) But she's fine now, and, it turns out, quite the clever character (finding those stairs...brilliant!). A tad disconcerting discovering that the largest bureaucracy in the universe doesn't have photos, ID numbers, birth records, DNA testing, fingerprinting, retinal scans, or dental records, but I guess a certain amount of idiot plotting just comes with the territory.

Very pleasantly surprised by how much I like Trevor, by which I mean "at all". The total jerk who always gets away with it? Normally THE dealbreaker for me, as you may have learned from my diatribes about South Park, Samurai Jack, Baby Blues, The Simpsons, and I'm pretty sure I did Family Guy at some point. But Trevor's so cheesy and over-the-top that I can't hate him. He's more a Strong Bad or Dirk Dastardly-esque goofy antagonist than someone we're actually supposed to be rooting against. Wouldn't want to watch him for a whole episode, but in the limited doses we're getting, he's fine.

In fact, that has to be the thing I like the best about this show, and it's a pretty simple one: It makes the right decisions. Make Eleanor irksome, but not too much of a jerk, so the audience can sympathize with her a little. Make things frustrating for Chidi, but also show some real progress so he doesn't come across as an absolute fool. Make Michael as just a bit incompetent and way over his head, but show that he can still fight the good fight when the chips are down. Don't go overboard with world-building; you can have things like a corny scoreboard and the Eleanor mixup being the result of a ridiculous coincidence, but leave it at that and don't bring it up again unless there's a reason too. Comedy, especially fantatic comedy, require a certain level of detachment, and focusing on details only opens the door for "But in this episode..." and "Hey, that's not how that works". Above all else, make sure to strike the right balance between fantastic, ridiculous, serious, and poignant, reining in any part that starts getting too prominent.

Still can't say that this is "must-see TV" for me like Empire, but it's pretty nice, and it has shown the potential to become very nice. Definitely will keep watching come January.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:29 AM

I loved Bad Janet, and the quick pans with Tahani saying no to a rager and Michael already having the karaoke equipment and everything. And interesting episode with interesting developments, but also really funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Speaking of them; how did Jianyu Li get mixed up with Jason Mendoza? Their names are different and I doubt Jianyu just happened to be visiting Florida (or Jason Taiwan) when they died. And does anyone else think it'd be funny if Jason's personal Bad Place involved silent meditation in a Buddhist monastery?
Yeah, I can understand the Eleanor situation being in a one and billion accident, with them having the same name, dying in the same accident at the exact same millisecond or whatever, but Jason and Jianyu don't have the same name and probably didn't also die together. Maybe he's a different bug in the system, we haven't seen much backstory of Jason's but he seems dumb and thoughtless but not like Eleanor. He seems like a candidate for a Medium Place even more than Eleanor.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:49 AM

So we know how Eleanor got mixed up, how the heck did they mix up Jainyu? and should we assume the real one is suffering in silence in the Bad Place?

ETA: oops somehow missed someone else asked the same question

Last edited by Quimby; 11-06-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
Yeah, I can understand the Eleanor situation being in a one and billion accident, with them having the same name, dying in the same accident at the exact same millisecond or whatever, but Jason and Jianyu don't have the same name and probably didn't also die together. Maybe he's a different bug in the system, we haven't seen much backstory of Jason's but he seems dumb and thoughtless but not like Eleanor. He seems like a candidate for a Medium Place even more than Eleanor.
Now that Tahani has figured out Jason isn't Jianyu I'm guessing we'll learn more about what happened to the real Jianyu.

It is interesting that Eleanor and Jason are such different people but were both destined for the Bad Place. Eleanor seems to have deliberately made a lot of selfish choices during her life, but while Jason did bad things he seems both too dumb and too genial to have meant much harm. But we have been explicitly told that people are selected for the Good Place based on their actions, not their intentions. As I mentioned upthread, it seems like a big theme of this show may be questioning this sort of utilitarian view of morality.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
...Jason did bad things he seems both too dumb and too genial to have meant much harm. But we have been explicitly told that people are selected for the Good Place based on their actions, not their intentions...
On a related note I wonder if children are judged by the same formula as adults when they die? Maybe it's best not to think about it.

Last edited by alphaboi867; 11-06-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

The only thing that wasn't great about the episode is knowing it won't be back until January. Eleanor continues to grow as a person, and Trevor was just great. He reminded me of Peter Cook playing the devil in Bedazzled as he did little horrible things that were more memorable than if he did something eeevillll.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Just a heads up - The Good Place returns with new eps tonight!

StG
Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 PM

Yay!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 PM

Holy crap that was great
Old 01-06-2017, 03:51 AM

Black Mirror Connection

I got sort of a "Black Mirror" lite sorta feeling after the first few episodes, I did some checking and -- BAM the creator was a writer on the Black Mirror episode "Nose Dive"
Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

I read somewhere that
SPOILER:
There is a Medium Place, and we will get to see it (not sure if Eleanor gets to see it)

When will Michael hear about Jason? That seems a bigger mix-up than Eleanor (died at same time with the same name)

Brian
Old 01-06-2017, 11:19 PM

Well if "the system" really did select Jason as Fake-Eleanor's soulmate it would explain his presence (though not Eleanor's or Michael had Jianyu's file). Fake-Eleanor and Tahani's bonding was fun was fun.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 AM

I'm guessing Jason is there as Janet's soulmate, a glitch nobody was expecting as they didn't expect Janets to actually have feelings or for the system to recognise them and provide a soul mate. Why he's there as Jianyu, I'm not sure of.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
I'm guessing Jason is there as Janet's soulmate, a glitch nobody was expecting as they didn't expect Janets to actually have feelings or for the system to recognise them and provide a soul mate. Why he's there as Jianyu, I'm not sure of.
Real Jianyu is out there though. That should be interesting.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
Probably peacefully meditating in whatever Jason Mendoza's hell is.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:01 AM

Well, I just got the latest podcast. Chapter Ten; Childi's Choice. It will be hard to sustain this aspect of his character.

I wanted to mention that last season we met the lip-reader guy and the marriage counselor lady. Both them were laughably bad at their supposed areas of expertise.

I suspect nobody deserves to be there. Further, the point is no person at all can deserve to be in The Good Place. All of them are there to improve.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Missed it when it aired the other night. Watched it on DVR over the weekend. Chidi being unable to make even the smallest decision was hilarious. "You just filibustered recess!"

I liked Jason's description of himself as a "professional amateur DJ". Also Tahani telling Fake Eleanor about her favorite TV show - "It's been on for 16 years. They've done almost 30 episodes!"
Old 01-09-2017, 11:38 AM

I loved how (fake)Eleanor thought that maybe Jianyu was her soulmate, only to quickly realize how ridiculous that thought was during Jianyu's wedding to Janet.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:10 AM

If I understand it right, Fake Eleanor got over half the "good point" credit over the course of a day or so fror doing weak stuff like opening doors and throwing parties, that it took living paragon Real Eleanor to accrue in her entire life.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:35 AM

No, nothing she had done counted. She got all those points by sacrificing herself to go to the Bad Place in order to save everyone else. The whole dying to save someone else turned up a notch.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM

I love how Jason thought Michael was Janet's father, and how Janet had to keep reminding Jason that she's not a girl. And that Jason died doing what he loved: a bunch of whippits.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Jason's buddy (something boi?) delivering the safe in that weird Mario Bros disguise was hilarious. But if they were so broke, where did they get the money for a safe? (Or whippits?)
Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I'm loving Janet more and more each episode.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Jason's buddy (something boi?) delivering the safe in that weird Mario Bros disguise was hilarious. But if they were so broke, where did they get the money for a safe? (Or whippits?)
Pill boi.

Don't know where they got that fancy safe but whippets aren't exactly expensive.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
If I caught what Michael said about him correctly, the real Jianyu is actually still alive. I suppose he might still show up at some point, but there's apparently no need to rescue him from the Bad Place as with "Real" Eleanor.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
If I understand it right, Fake Eleanor got over half the "good point" credit over the course of a day or so fror doing weak stuff like opening doors and throwing parties, that it took living paragon Real Eleanor to accrue in her entire life.
She was at ~-4000 and got up to, maybe, -1500 with minor acts. She didn't get up to ~+1,000,000 until she sacrificed herself.

Did I hear right that Mindy lives alone in the neutral zone (aka the medium place)?

Brian