Old 01-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
The Honeymooners has always bothered me. I never understood why threatening domestic violence was considered funny. (“One of these days Alice-right in the kisser!”) I would hope that wouldn’t be acceptable today.
It reminds me of an episode of Leave it to Beaver I saw recently, where all his friends have convinced the Beav that Ward is going to beat him when he gets home. Obviously, Ward doesn't beat the Beaver, illustrating what a magnanimous, even tempered, wise, modern dad he was.

I think of that when I watch The Honeymooners. I figure, in a world where domestic violence is extremely common (and as others have mentioned above, in this time period movies where a man spanks his wife were frequent and applauded by both sexes), the fact that Ralph just talks about it, and never actually lays a finger on Alice, shows what a big lovable galoot he is. All bark and no bite.

For the 1950s, that was fairly progressive. It's not hard to find contemporary media where men are shown to be weak and/or cowardly for not committing violence on women and children. It's good for them, don't you know? Builds character. Really, you are withholding important life lessons by not beating them. So beat your wife and kids, for their sake. Brought to you by Winston. Tastes good, like a cigarette should.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
[I]

Chief: "He was white when he got here."

Oh my god, that's funny.
What I would like to have seen is going back in time and showing South Park to viewers back in the 50s.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Why wouldn't this show/scenario fly today? I'm pretty sure I see more overtly sexual things on TV today. Of course, I watch entirely through Netflix and other streaming platforms so I'm not always sure where something came from (I can pick out the HBO shows though so I'm not talking about them).
You'd have to ask the poster who referenced it originally. I don't know that the OP said it wouldn't fly, just that he/she was surprised it made it passed the censors.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
It was me that was suprised that it flew on NBC in Prime-Time in the 1990s.
Ah, yes.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Sick over the last couple of days and was bingeing NCIS.

Went through almost all of the first 2 seasons. In every episode, Tony does something that would get him called in to HR, if not outright fired for inappropriate behavior.
Probably getting stuff wrong, but I recall an episode where they all had to go to sexual harassment training (?). Anyway, they kept asking 'hypothetical' questions about their behavior, and kept getting shot down by the instructor. I remember Abby looking horrified that she wasn't supposed to be hugging people at work.

Last edited by Patch; 01-15-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Just Shoot Me was an unbelievably bad show, with one outstanding episode: Slow Donnie.

Try getting that one on the air today.
Chicken Pot
Chicken Pot
Chicken Pot Pie

I probably haven't seen it in 15 years and yet it haunts me.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:45 PM

NuBSG washed both the main African-American characters from the Original.

Also at some point....
SPOILER:
while resisting their occupiers who follow a different religion... the humans resort to suicide bombing while vaguely middle-eastern music plays.

I don't think the above is by default bad....but I'm sure some HuffPo and AV Club writers would have something to say.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 01-15-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

There are lots of old cartoon episodes with blatant racism that wouldn't fly today, but an episode of The Flintstones seemed to have slipped in a dirty joke not meant for everyone to get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vcn-_BQEmY

I can't see how that could refer to anything innocent. No one would try to get away with slipping something like that into a kid's show in the internet age. Sure, a lot of the jokes were meant for adults to get, but nothing that pushed the envelope and it was probably mostly watched by kids.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
There are lots of old cartoon episodes with blatant racism that wouldn't fly today, but an episode of The Flintstones seemed to have slipped in a dirty joke not meant for everyone to get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vcn-_BQEmY

I can't see how that could refer to anything innocent. No one would try to get away with slipping something like that into a kid's show in the internet age. Sure, a lot of the jokes were meant for adults to get, but nothing that pushed the envelope and it was probably mostly watched by kids.
I remember that joke! I always interpreted it this way: that Barney and Fred were planning to go as some kind of conjoined-twin sort of thing.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
The episode of One Day at a Time where Ann leaves her boyfriend to chaperone a party for Barbara and Julie, and against Ann's orders, they have beer at the party. The party gets shut down when the adults figure it out, but no one gets in any real trouble, and they show teens getting really drunk.

I'm not sure what the drinking age in California was in the mid-70s, where the show was written and filmed, and I realize that in much of the country it was 18, but in Indiana, where the show was set, it was 21. However, even in Indiana, underage drinking was kinda pooh-poohed. I was about five years younger than Barbara and Julie, and went to high school in Indiana, and underage drinking by 17- to 20-years-olds was not a big thing even in the early 80s.

Nowadays, on TV, it usually has to end with someone in the hospital for alcohol poisoning, or some other really dire consequence.
Drinking age in California was 21. As a Californian of 62 years, I cannot remember a time when it wasn't.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 AM

Forgot all about this one.

M*A*S*H, the two-part episode Comrades in Arms. Hawkeye and Houlihan get lost on a trip to the 8063rd, and take refuge in an abandoned hut as North Korean soldiers wander the area. In part 2, Houlihan starts getting the hots for Hawkeye. When they abandon the hut and take refuge under a tree, as they huddle together she begins pawing and fawning over him and... it's fucking creepy. Suddenly you have this professional soldier and nurse acting like she's in heat or something.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Then there's the Dick VanDyke episode where Laura is so proud of a black sweater she bought she, commissioned a struggling artist to paint a portrait of her wearing it for $25. Thing was, using his imagination he painted the portrait without the sweater (or anything else) on her. She was so mortified she fled without taking the painting.

Years later he's made it big time and the Laura nude is included in a big art show in Manhattan. Rob demands he take it down but the artist refuses, saying he had two potential buyers for about $5,000, one in New York and the other in Brazil. Rob points out the painting had been sold to Laura and the artist had no right to resell it. "I'm not gonna hand you my painting and watch you destroy it!"

"Oh, no, I wouldn't do that; it's too good and I wouldn't want to deprive you of the money. But you know that guy on a mountain top in Brazil..."

"Gone like it had wings!"
Er... is this supposed to be a punch line? (Or is it something that "wouldn't fly" because it's just a meaningless non sequitur?)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Er... is this supposed to be a punch line? (Or is it something that "wouldn't fly" because it's just a meaningless non sequitur?)
Curiosity got the better of me, so I just watched the episode.

The painter (played by Carl Reiner) has possession of the painting and wants to sell it for much more than Laura had given him for it years ago ($50) but never took possession of it. One of the potential buyers is a South American millionaire that wants it for his mansion on top of a mountain in Brazil. Other supposed potential buyers is a famous producer that wants to hang it in the lobby of his theaters and the World's fair wants to hang it in the art pavilion. Rob doesn't care if it goes somewhere where no one he knows will see it, but he is worried it might go somewhere like the two latter locales.

The painter wants to resolve this issue somehow, but he doesn't want to give up the painting that he has possession of regardless of who is the rightful owner because he thinks he can sell it for $5000. Rob realizes this, and doesn't attempt to take ownership. Rob suggests that they compromise and tells the painter that all he wants for the $50 is the right to choose which of the offers he accepts. The painter agrees and asks Rob where he would like the painting to go. Rob replies "you remember that fella in Brazil with a mansion on top of a mountain?" The painter answers with "like it had wings, it's off to Brazil flying to the mountain top."

The painting was never shown and it wasn't at all controversial. DesertDog, Baker, and Musicat just decided to talk about any old TV episodes that pop into their heads.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
Curiosity got the better of me, so I just watched the episode.

The painter (played by Carl Reiner)
Did anyone mention that the painter looked a lot like Alan Brady (also played by Carl Reiner)?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
There was a similar Night Court episode where lothario Dan Feilding meets up with a former classmate who has transitioned from male to female. Of course he has issues with it and to add to it, they cast a blond bombshell for the part.

Dan overreacts and can't believe that his best bud is now a woman. At some point, he grabs a friend and says "Can you believe that she used to be a man?"

The friend's answer was "so?"

Which is a very nice and progressive point, especially for 80s TV, I think. I believe most of the jokes were at Dan's expense but I think the actor who played her was a bit of a stretch.
I remember that one; even for a teenager in the 80s, it was obvious that the show was making a point of what a dick Dan was being about it.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Did anyone mention that the painter looked a lot like Alan Brady (also played by Carl Reiner)?
Nope.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
There was an episode of "Alice" where she sent her son on a weekend camping trip with several men, one of whom turned out to be gay, and when she found out, she asked her son if that particular man did anything to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Boys Beware!

One of the things it's going to be hard for future generations to really wrap their minds around was the degree to which male homosexuality and pedophilia were conflated in the popular imagination. Not that one lead to the other, but that there was no admitted distinction between them.

Where are the bears when you need them?

(Uh, that's not a gay joke.)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most terrifying episode of all time.

Diff'rent Strokes - The Bicycle Man (Part 1 and 2)- Arnold and his friend Dudley are groomed by a pedophile.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post

Diff'rent Strokes - The Bicycle Man (Part 1 and 2)- Arnold and his friend Dudley are groomed by a pedophile.
As humorously recapped in A Very Special Episode.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Probably many episodes of Highway to Heaven would have a rough time today.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:

There was also an episode that centered around a photograph of Arnold's butt. (The photo was shown.)

And that reminds me of something else. Back in the 1990s-ish I remember a special on with one hour of the best/funniest foreign commercials. One of them (possibly for film?) showed a girl and 2 or 3 boys, all around 12 or 13 years old. The girl is leaning against a fence looking at something. Suddenly, one of the boys lifts the girl's skirt (she is wearing no underwear) and the other boys photograph her before they all run away. this was shown in the US unpixellated. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 PM

I can think of a couple that not only wouldn't fly now, they didn't fly very well back when they aired.

First, there was an episode of Too Close for Comfort where the people who previously rented the girls' room came back for the furniture, and when Henry refused to pay for replacements, the girls moved out into their own apartment - in Oakland. During the entire episode, Henry and Muriel freaked out over how Oakland was "a high crime area," and the apartment turned out to be in an unsafe neighborhood. When the episode was repeated, every TV listing that I saw for San Francisco's ABC station had it replaced with an episode of The People's Court; however, it did air in San Francisco - after all references to Oakland were overdubbed (poorly) with "Oaktown."

Second, there is an episode of Are You Being Served? that ends with the show performing a "minstrel show" number, with the men (and Mrs. Slocombe) in blackface, and they appear in blackface over the closing credits. While some PBS stations aired the episode uncut, at least one (San Francisco's KQED - which, in earlier years, had no problems with airing an episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus that showed a topless woman) had those scenes removed.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
however, it did air in San Francisco - after all references to Oakland were overdubbed (poorly) with "Oaktown."
Old Town (YouTube vid)
Old 01-16-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

You're going to have to excuse my language on this one, because I think it's important to use the words that were actually used on the show.

I have vivid memories of one episode of The Jeffersons. They were offering a CPR class somewhere near his apartment, and George attended. As I remember it, George practiced on the CPR dummy, and as they asked for new volunteers, two men stood up and walked out. The instructor asked why they were leaving, and the older one said, "I'm sorry, but I won't touch something that's been kissed by a nigger." They were straight-up Klansmen, as I recall.

Anyway, other stuff happened that I don't remember. Somehow, as events progressed during the episode, the older man had a heart attack and stopped breathing. George, who had finished the CPR class and knew what to do, saved the guy's life. At the end, they were wheeling him out to the ambulance as he regained consciousness, and his son told him George had given him CPR. "He saved my life?" he asked. The son said yes. He responded, "You should have let me die."

Good luck getting the networks to let you make that episode today.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Good luck getting the networks to let you make that episode today.
That's because they're generally more gutless these days. That's a pretty bold statement for television of any era.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:32 PM

All of Seinfeld or any other sitcom that requires missed phone calls or the inability to get in touch with people as a plot device.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
All of Seinfeld or any other sitcom that requires missed phone calls or the inability to get in touch with people as a plot device.
Quote:
For the purpose of this thread, I’m not talking about entire series that would not be made
Also, the OP isn't going for that sort of thing. All older shows have differences due to the period it was made in and "wouldn't fly" if today's show was in the current time period. Some of today's shows take place in the past and missed phone calls would fly. The kind of "wouldn't fly" the OP is going for:
Quote:
I mean perfectly “normal” series that would have an occasional episode that is pretty WTF by modern social conventions. (And, I suppose, by “not fly today”, I would have to exclude series that make it a point to push at boundaries as hard as possible, such as Family Guy and South Park.)

A strong example is the episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Geordi La Forge is kidnapped by a shipful of mentally retarded aliens. Another example is a single episode each of both Andy Griffith and Car 54, Where Are You were based around jokes about Gypsy curses.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Mr. Belvedere - The Counselor

At summer camp, Wesley gets touched inappropriately by a counselor. He protests, and the counselor stops. Later, the counselor moves on to one of Wesley's friends, and Wesley reports him.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Not only did John Wayne spank Maureen O'Hara, but Patrick Wayne spanks Stephanie Powers. With the total approval and encouragement of the crowd, I might add. Both the Waynes hand the other a makeshift paddle in each case as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Worse, both women become compliant and adoring as a result.
I saw this scene when I was a kid in the 60s , It makes me shudder to remember it. It was really upsetting and confusing. I wondered if that was part of what growing up and having a husband was going to be for me. I've been thinking about the pain and humiliation that would result from such treatment in real life until I had to stop. It's just revolting.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Blame Shakespeare. The same thing happens in The Taming of the Shrew. It's cringeworthy there, too.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMF-2L View Post
For literally decades from the 1960s the most important TV show for pop music on British TV was the weekly Top of the Pops. Hit songs of the day would be 'performed' (mimed) in the studio, or played over some female dancers or promotional videos would be shown.

Old episodes are regularly shown as repeats these days however there is an unfortunately increasing amount of episodes which are now taboo since the show format had BBC radio disc jockeys as hosts introducing the songs and several of them (notably Jimmy Saville) have since been outed as sex offenders.

Plus some of the acts themselves have been outed as sex offenders. Prolific hit maker Gary Glitter alone eliminated most of the shows from the first half of the 1970s. It appears no one has the will to edit the shows to eliminate the bad people. Instead more and more episodes just disappear.

TCMF-2L
They actually aired a sexual assault committed by Savile during recording.

Quote:
The assault happened during the filming of Top Of The Pops and footage captures Sylvia's discomfort as the presenter made lewd comments while groping her.

Sylvia has blasted the idea that bosses at the BBC had no idea about Savile's antics and told GMB of how her complaints about the incident were brushed off.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
That reminds me: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Why wouldn't the Council of Watchers buy that poor girl a car or a cell phone?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
That reminds me: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Why wouldn't the Council of Watchers buy that poor girl a car or a cell phone?
The Watcher's Council has some really peculiar features. Giles, the Watcher assigned to the only active Slayer in the world, is treated like a minor functionary, who doesn't get invited to the big meetings or get the important memos in a timely fashion; he only gets attention from the Council when they think he's violated one of their rules. My headcanon is that for a long time, supernatural threats have been a relatively minor problem, and the Council has therefore become a place where everyone's focus has been on internal politics and squabbling - so they're not really prepared when a Hellmouth opens (as opposed to an inactive Hellmouth just causing local weirdness) and genuine world-threatening stuff occurs every May.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Flipping through a few of the old SDMB Staff Reports reminded me of one example of a whole show that wouldn't fly very well today:

Quote:
Did one 60’s superhero get his power from … smoking?

...Now about those cigarettes: While most doctors will tell you to quit smoking if you want to be able to continue participating in any sort of strenuous activity such as beating up criminals, 8-Man/Brady/Tobor was advised the opposite: Feeling rundown? Light up!...
--SDStaff Scott