Old 01-10-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I hate that stupid French Dove commercial.

Since I don't speak French it's bad enough, but the song is so...IMPORTANT!..that it seems to be trying to hard. It insists upon itself, as they say.

I don't know the song, but it sounds incomplete. Like they took two lines in the beginning and jumped to the end. Which they did, I looked up the translation:

Lines one and two
No, absolutely nothing
No, I regret nothing

Jumping ahead one verse
I don't care about the past!

I still like Dove, but they make me not want to buy them again. What does the past have to do with eating Dove now? Je ne sais pas!
I like the song (it's pretty famous) but I get what you mean. What I can live without is the scary ass looking woman in the very last shot. This ad was running for several weeks before I actually watched the whole thing (in fact, I think there's an abridged, 10 sec version of it)and I would always look up just in time to see an old hag biting into a chocolate like the big bad wolf chomping on little red riding hood.
It makes more sense now that I've seen it in it's entirety but damn that lady is unsettling when viewed out of context.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:56 PM

the suit wasn't what annoyed me it was the thought of genitals rotting and falling off ...
Old 01-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I like the song (it's pretty famous) but I get what you mean. What I can live without is the scary ass looking woman in the very last shot.
It makes more sense now that I've seen it in it's entirety but damn that lady is unsettling when viewed out of context.
Ageist much?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Ageist much?
Nope. I'm pretty sure she was cast and is made up and photographed to emphasize her age and like I said, out of context, to look up and see this visageis jarring.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Nope. I'm pretty sure she was cast and is made up and photographed to emphasize her age and like I said, out of context, to look up and see this visageis jarring.
Only to someone who hates old people. i.e. a ageist.

She is a lovely older person.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Only to someone who hates old people. i.e. a ageist.

She is a lovely older person.
Pffffft. How dare you. I'm sure she's perfectly nice and kind and everything good; I made absolutely no comment on what kind of person she is or how I feel about her. I just think she look particularly scary in those few short seconds.<shrug>
Old 01-10-2019, 03:51 PM

Does it make me a completely heartless monster if I'm just completely over the Shriner's Hospital commercials? I have cable news on in the background when I get home from work, and it seems like every other commercial is for the organization. The commercials themselves aren't annoying, but the sheer frequency with which they appear. And it's not even limited to one cable news network.

Also, if any of you are familiar with the commercials, I have a theory that they are phasing out the older, brown-haired kid in a wheelchair with the younger blond-haired kid in a wheelchair, a la Menudo.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

For me, even worse than the Shriners Hospital commercial is the shameless one from the ASPCA, with cute little puppies shivering in the cold while a Sarah McLachlan song plays over the images.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

BTW, why is it that both the Shriners Hospital and the ASPCA commercials ask for people to agree to donate $19 per month? Why that amount and not, say, twenty bucks or thirty bucks a month?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post
Does it make me a completely heartless monster if I'm just completely over the Shriner's Hospital commercials? I have cable news on in the background when I get home from work, and it seems like every other commercial is for the organization. The commercials themselves aren't annoying, but the sheer frequency with which they appear. And it's not even limited to one cable news network.

Also, if any of you are familiar with the commercials, I have a theory that they are phasing out the older, brown-haired kid in a wheelchair with the younger blond-haired kid in a wheelchair, a la Menudo.
I, too, have been exposed enough to those commercials to have come up with the same speculation. The older kid does a good job of saying "adow-able" adorably, but his voice seems to indicate that puberty arrived some time ago, and so he must be phased out.

(Yeah, they may be harming their own fundraising by over-exposure. At some point TV viewers start to wonder how much of their donation is going to the kids, versus how much is going to the advertising budget.)

(my bolding)
Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
For me, even worse than the Shriners Hospital commercial is the shameless one from the ASPCA, with cute little puppies shivering in the cold while a Sarah McLachlan song plays over the images.
I've complained about that one here, before. Throw the dog a damn blanket, you heartless camera operator!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
BTW, why is it that both the Shriners Hospital and the ASPCA commercials ask for people to agree to donate $19 per month? Why that amount and not, say, twenty bucks or thirty bucks a month?
I'd guess that "$19" hits some psychological sweet spot. Twenty would start people thinking about how much better off they'd be if they devoted that amount to some other use, whereas nineteen can be dismissed as 'a mere fraction of my budget.'

Psychologically, it's probably not-unrelated to the reason that "$4.95" seems cheaper than $5.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I, too, have been exposed enough to those commercials to have come up with the same speculation. The older kid does a good job of saying "adow-able" adorably, but his voice seems to indicate that puberty arrived some time ago, and so he must be phased out.

(Yeah, they may be harming their own fundraising by over-exposure. At some point TV viewers start to wonder how much of their donation is going to the kids, versus how much is going to the advertising budget.)

(my bolding)
You do realize that after a while they aren't children any more. I think they're going to miss brown haired kid. He was so articulate and personable.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
You do realize that after a while they aren't children any more. I think they're going to miss brown haired kid. He was so articulate and personable.
Of course. I think we were just commenting on the rather obvious process-of-substitution that's going on, as the marketers work to offer viewers a transition to a new 'spokes-kid' for the Shriners.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Buick used to be known as the older persons car. Solid, reliable, but not 'flashy" like a caddy.

So all their ads are pushing that you can't tell a Buick from any other car. Which makes no sense.
That was their older version of the commercial (which made stupid sense, but at least some sense). In the new version, both cars are Buicks.

So in scene 1 - the valet has just driven a car back to the front door of the restaurant, but somehow between getting out of the car and returning the key to the owner, he has forgotten which Buick he just retrieved.
In one of the others, a kid has apparently told his friends that his mom is picking them up in a Buick instead of saying (as I would have when I was a kid "the black SUV") because all of the kids are heading toward the wrong (smaller, different color) car.
Then there's the one where the surfer's friends think that she owns a convertible and she points out that hers is the boring car.

The message seems to be that Buick owners and their friends don't know how to describe cars very well. And that valets are morons.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I worked for many, many years processing these types of claims and yes, claimants typically got pennies on the dollar, the lawyer fees were standard 1/3rd of the settlement plus expenses. The claimants divided the leftovers. These type lawsuits were more to punish and deter the large companies than to compensate the injured individuals. This is on purpose. The courts decide how much the settlement should be and they use some strange formula to come up with the final numbers.

But sometimes, especially if less claimants than expected filed, claimants got a nice payout. Twice in my over a decade of doing this, the payout was more than the loss.
But the point remains that the parties actually injured are, for the most part, props. Kind of like that shivering puppy in the Shriner ad mentioned above.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I'll never get Hulu, lady who thinks a bathroom stall is her office.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

That fucking Oteza drug commercial that goes on and on and on, with The Cars "Magic" worming its way into your brain all the while.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I think the kid who says no to meth understands he is lying. Also, now all the dealers are hanging at the roller skating rink.

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/statu...043507717?s=19
Old 01-13-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I like him. Maybe not a future in acting, but sales?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
That fucking Oteza drug commercial that goes on and on and on, with The Cars "Magic" worming its way into your brain all the while.
Nitpick: It's Magic by Pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iiryJwvDtc&app=desktop

The one that makes me stabby is the one for Digiorno's pizza with the people singing, "Pan, pan, pan, pan" to the tune of Beethoven's Fifth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inOzIsxTsys&app=desktop
Old 01-14-2019, 08:33 AM

I don't recall what car it's for, but the one that starts off talking about luxury and how we're supposed to "look but don't touch; touch but don't enjoy". Then it shows different people enjoying their fancy car and ends with a guy stuffing a big old burger in his mouth with the obligatory smiling while chewing (gah) with a big glob of sauce on his face. Visually repulsive and makes me think "I'd never ride in that guy's car".
Old 01-16-2019, 10:49 AM

Oh, what fresh hell is this?? A spaghetti sauce commercial, Prego vs. Ragu. Featuring two toothless drooling brats covered with spaghetti and sauce. About as appetizing as a loaded diaper, Prego.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Oh, what fresh hell is this?? A spaghetti sauce commercial, Prego vs. Ragu. Featuring two toothless drooling brats covered with spaghetti and sauce. About as appetizing as a loaded diaper, Prego.
Just saw that one for the first time last night. Very unappetizing. Cringe-worthy.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Just saw that one for the first time last night. Very unappetizing. Cringe-worthy.
Very. Babies should be served with sausage gravy.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:45 PM

who ever owns the rights to the music of queen needs to stop being a greedy MFer and quit whoring out the song "don't stop me now"

its on 50 commercials in all media forms and it doesn't mean what most people think it does...
Old 01-26-2019, 04:21 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Not exactly annoying as much as...
Adult Acne Treatment
DiGiorno's Pan Pizza

Same actress
Old 01-26-2019, 05:17 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I hate the commercial where a cartoon bear sings a song about not having shit on it's ass.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:32 PM

yep by me ...I think that whole campaign needs to die
Old 01-26-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post

The one that makes me stabby is the one for Digiorno's pizza with the people singing, "Pan, pan, pan, pan" to the tune of Beethoven's Fifth.

mines turbo tax ..free free ..ad nauseum
Old 01-26-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Not exactly annoying as much as...
Adult Acne Treatment
DiGiorno's Pan Pizza

Same actress
I officially love this girl.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Thanks to this post, I have been able to avert my eyes quickly whenever the commercial comes on. Og willing, I shall never see it in full.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 AM

I've been watching a bunch of Hulu lately, and I hate the Adam and Eve ad. I've tried to change my ad preferences, but apparently people who watch what I do order "adult toys" a lot.

Couldn't they get her a dress that actually fits? And that isn't even the worst thing about the ad.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I've been watching a bunch of Hulu lately, and I hate the Adam and Eve ad. I've tried to change my ad preferences, but apparently people who watch what I do order "adult toys" a lot.

Couldn't they get her a dress that actually fits? And that isn't even the worst thing about the ad.
Ad? There is an Adam and Eve infomercial on in the middle of the night on some cable station. Featuring a kind of down-home pleasant young woman extolling the virtues of grotesque big purple rabbits or whatever they're called. Back when 'Talk Sex' (a phone-in talk show with Sue Johannsen was on), there was a followup infomercial with two women selling things - and giving them reviews as well, as to how they worked!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:25 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

There's a Ford SUV ad showing a woman parallel parking a mud-spattered vehicle, backing into and pushing trash cans, then hopping out with her yoga mat and going on her way.

What the heck are they trying to say with that ad?? "The SUV for the entitled bitch"??
Old 01-28-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post

I have a visceral reaction to that pizza commercial because due to my being raised on Long Island, the vowel sound she uses in "pan" grates on my nerves. It's another Mary, Marry, Merry thing. For me pan should match Mary. The singer matches pan with marry. Like nails on a chalkboard to me.
-IQ
Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

So, all those mooks are going to drive around no tailgates or what?
Old 01-29-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
And are they gonna leave a pile on that hill? Seems like an environmental hazard to me.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

That tiny chair is for your new house? Don't you mean your kid's new doll house?
Old 02-01-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
No, apparently there is some sort of trade-in program where you can bring in your old tailgate and exchange it for the super-duper one.

mmm
Old 02-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Linky?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post
I have a visceral reaction to that pizza commercial because due to my being raised on Long Island, the vowel sound she uses in "pan" grates on my nerves. It's another Mary, Marry, Merry thing. For me pan should match Mary. The singer matches pan with marry. Like nails on a chalkboard to me.
I'm from The Bronx and raised my children in Brooklyn and I do not hear this 'pan' difference in pronunciation at all.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Linky?
Here 'tis.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Boy, I sure wish I had written that stupid song.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:56 AM

DUPIXENT is an eczema drug. This is the commercial with the lady washing her hands and there's ants all over them.

Last edited by Channing Idaho Banks; 02-04-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
DUPIXENT is an eczema drug. This is the commercial with the lady washing her hands and there's ants all over them.
Serious question: do sufferers often feel like ants are crawling all over their eczema?
Old 02-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Boy, I sure wish I had written that stupid song.
I wish NO ONE had written that stupid song.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM

I think I complained about this last year, but:

Every single Valentine's Day commercial that follows some variation of:

"You've finally found that special someone. That person who completes you. That person who understands you and loves you for who you are. That person who will be bitterly disappointed if you don't pony up a diamond the size of a plover's egg, or possibly a plover."

or "What better time than Valentine's Day to buy your sweetie an engagement ring? After all, prices will never be higher, and restaurants will never be more packed and the gesture will never be more cliched."

Also, I'm getting peeved at advertisers who are trying desperately to get their stupid spokesperson/animal/robot to be the next Geico Gecko. Specifically, I'm annoyed by the phone company with the idiot robot. But guys, when your spokescritter is more interesting than your product, you may have a problem.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

"I'm a Zi-Fan for Zi-cam!"

Disgusting. All I can think is, "You greased up your face for that?!"
Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 PM

The one that currently grinds my gears is the Peloton advert, if you are a club type cyclist then one look at the advert will piss you off so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmvGmLCdSXA

The product itself is a hi-tech exercise bike that costs around $3000, then you pay around $50 per month to access the training programs online.

For that sort of money you can buy a fairly reasonable bicycle - but that's not the criticism.

Firstly, the company arrogantly tried to copyright the word 'peloton' which has been in use in racing cyclists ever since cyclists went for massed start races. Next, a peloton can only exist if there are a group of riders in a bunch - this is because the concept of drafting and teamwork are utterly crucial in cycle racing - but the product show individuals in their own boxes riding their machines, so there is no possibility of drafting or teamwork.

Lastly, if it really purports to be an alternative to cycling, then the annoying coach woman is bouncing around in the saddle in a way that is completely counterproductive and likely will be painful to her over a period of time.

In addition, there is an internet meme on many of the various cyclists forums and Facebook cycling groups that notes that the individuals who actually use these machines are incredibly highly aspirational role models - young and beautiful people living in very expensive and spartanly furnished apartments.

Just to add that if you really want virtual cycling and racing there are quite a few other options with a lot more credibility with better coaching advice and programs and costing rather less than the Peloton product

result is that a number of parody adverts are now doing the rounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Fb0lMFu8Y

but mostly its because this frigging advert is on such heavy rotation
Old 02-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post
The one that currently grinds my gears is the Peloton advert, if you are a club type cyclist then one look at the advert will piss you off so much.
Those ads just scream rich hipster fad to me. People with too much money to spend who spent more time picking out expensive cycling shorts than actually riding the bike.
90% of their budget must go into marketing.