Old 08-15-2018, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Got an e-mail from MoviePass that echoed what I'd read in an article. It's now three films a month, but subsequent tickets will be subsidized at $2-5 each.
This doesn't kick in until your subscription renews. People still on the old subscription are getting strung along and fucked over, Moviepass is hoping they give up on using it before the subscription converts.

Last edited by Omniscient; 08-15-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
This doesn't kick in until your subscription renews. People still on the old subscription are getting strung along and fucked over, Moviepass is hoping they give up on using it before the subscription converts.
The e-mail also said my subscription had renewed.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:42 AM

Hmm....

Okay, being kind and assuming their behavior is not malicious, I could see where their workflow fucked up. If they treat cancellation as a pending thing to be executed on the next billing date (so people could uncancel if they wanted), and then flashed the new TOS to people on the app and asked them to accept it, I can understand why migrating people to the new TOS and possibly new billing system could uncancel them. Of course they could reverse this process once they figured it out, so it's quite possibly malicious.

But I hit accept on the new TOS when it popped up, and then cancelled like 5 days later. So I definitely shouldn't have been part of this. I couldn't have been part of that incorrect workflow, since my account was already switched over at the time I cancelled.

But I just noticed the e-mail, 2 days after I cancelled, "We received your confirmation for your new MoviePass plan. Some exciting updates are coming on the first day of your next billing cycle, 2018-09-07."

They didn't bill me for August, but I guess they're planning to bill me for September? I'm not sure how that even makes sense. If I switched over to the new plan, why would it take a month to charge me?

Not a big deal, I guess, that gives me plenty of time to recancel, but fishy.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Their website now states that the new 3-per-month plan will let you choose "from up to 6 films each day," meaning they will only be supporting 1-6 films each day. You will not be able to choose what you want to see. So the way it is working now is how it will be working even on the new plan. Today the only movies you can choose from are either wide release "The Meg" and "Crazy Rich Asians," limited release "The Miseducation of Cameron Post" or very limited released (only on one screen in NYC) "Madeline's Madeline" and "Skate Kitchen."
Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM

I actually would keep subscribed at 3 movies a month if it went back to normal service. Still a good deal and I probably wouldn't exceed that anyway. But the random 2 movies a day thing is shitty. Do they still run out money in the afternoons and shut down for the day?

I logged into the app and it's acting like my account is active even though i cancelled and wasn't charged this month. Next billing date is next month. So maybe in their clusterfuck ways I get a freebie.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
08-17-2017, 07:43 PM
I think you have it backwards. What would happen is Movie Pass goes bankrupt and AMC ends up being their biggest debtor because unless I missed something Movie Pass doesn't buy any tickets in advance.

$9.95 is just too cheap for this service. There's no way they can sustain it.
Who could have foreseen a bad business plan that made no financial sense would fail?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Who could have foreseen a bad business plan that made no financial sense would fail?
Everyone?

No one thought the $9.95 unlimited plan would make them money or last past the year.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Everyone?

No one thought the $9.95 unlimited plan would make them money or last past the year.
You would think but read page one of this thread.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:49 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I heard their stock tanked today and is now trading at five cents a share.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 AM

MoviePass' death is imminent. Use the service as much as you can.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I heard their stock tanked today and is now trading at five cents a share.
BACK to five cents per share after a 250-1 reverse split a few weeks ago.

Looks like it'll open today - right now - at 4.8 cents/share. Good luck to them and if you own shares go looking for the class action suit.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Ah, damn, I didn't get free access - opening the app again today it says my account has expired.

Curious - since they switched over to their "up to 6 movies a day" plan, do they still cancel existing showtimes mid-day like they've been doing for the last few weeks? Or can you actually go and see that limited set of movies all day?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM

Movie list through the 26th

So "up to 6 movies", but most of them are low theater count repeats. This is really more of a 2 movie a day plan.

Apparently they're saying this is only temporary through the transition but I doubt things are going to get much better.

Now, normally I wouldn't ethically advocate ways to cheat around the system at all, but this is pretty ridiculous for people who already paid their subscription money. You can go into any theater and go to the box office and ask your tickets to be swapped generally no questions asked. So grab the tickets from the kiosk, and then go ask to change them to something you want to see. Or.... may not even be necesary since they suspended ticket verification, you could probably just buy the ticket to the wrong movie.

What an inelegant way to die. They're just throwing random shit at the wall and usually lying about what they're doing ahead of time (remember when the daily running out of money thing was a "technical glitch" every day?) - I gotta say, I check the news on this daily for the drama.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 08-16-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Follow up. Closed today at 3 cents per share with a hair over 200,000 share in volume. Thatís not going to get better unless thereís a white knight.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Follow up. Closed today at 3 cents per share with a hair over 200,000 share in volume. Thatís not going to get better unless thereís a white knight.
There's already been a "white" knight. Some companies like to loan a troubled company a pile of money knowing that it's going to go belly up. Then they get control in bankruptcy and use its assets (which presumably even Movie Pass has) for various things. Relaunch with a new model or just sell off.

That shareholders end up with zilch is just a "happy" side effect.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
There's already been a "white" knight. Some companies like to loan a troubled company a pile of money knowing that it's going to go belly up. Then they get control in bankruptcy and use its assets (which presumably even Movie Pass has) for various things. Relaunch with a new model or just sell off.
I imagine that about the only valuable asset that MoviePass has is its database: its list of its members (past and present), along with data on their moviegoing habits. If you page back in this thread, you can find quotes from MoviePass executives noting that that data was what they were hoping would prove their value to the theater operators.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
its list of its members (past and present), along with data on their moviegoing habits. If you page back in this thread, you can find quotes from MoviePass executives noting that that data was what they were hoping would prove their value to the theater operators.
I don't even see why that data would have any worth at all. So they know that people like to see blockbusters and if they are "free" they will see smaller independent films as well. What a surprise.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
I don't even see why that data would have any worth at all. So they know that people like to see blockbusters and if they are "free" they will see smaller independent films as well. What a surprise.
It's not that they know *that* people, generally, like to see those films -- it's that they have a database with actual names, email addresses, and locations of *specific* moviegoers, along with their interests and preferences.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:26 PM

Right, Moviepass could spit out granular data like:

"On Friday evenings, users in the Dopeville suburbs are 30% more likely to look at Theater A listings before looking at Theater B listings."

or

"25% of users in the Dopeville suburbs are willing to drive 10+ miles to go to Theater C despite the presence of two more conveniently located venues."
Old 08-18-2018, 11:34 AM

Good article here about their problem, they could not get theaters to lower prices

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-one-th...out-moviepass/
Old 08-19-2018, 02:32 AM
Elephant Whisperer

We tried to use MoviePass today for BlacKkKlansman, and it was not working today for any movie in any theater in Honolulu. Was today another nationwide outage? We tried it diring the noon hours, so it was early.

We paid to see the film, but at least I got 50 cents off my ticket now that I'm 60. Did use MP last Saturday, so as long as we can at least once a month, we'll keep it.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Is anyone signed on to the new subscription model? (charged after 8/15) with the 3 movies? Do they movies - all 2 of them - actually stick around, or do they still disappear mid afternoon?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:56 AM
Elephant Whisperer

That e-mail I mentioned told us we were automatically signed onto it. Then it couldn't be used at all last Saturday.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:57 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I'm thinking of starting a new subscription service called restaurant pass. For $20 a month you can eat 1 meal a day, up to 30 a month, at any restaurant you want, and you can use the credit card my company will provide to pay for the meal.

Its foolproof.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 08-22-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:00 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I'm thinking of starting a new subscription service called restaurant pass. For $20 a month you can eat 1 meal a day, up to 30 a month, at any restaurant you want, and you can use the credit card my company will provide to pay for the meal.

Its foolproof.
Maybe a brothel subscription service for Bangkok!
Old 08-24-2018, 04:11 PM

8/10: Annual users will not be capped at the 3-per-month plan.

8/24: Annual users will now be limited to 3 movies per month and anything you’ve seen after Aug 15 will be retroactively applied to your total.

Wow. Holy shit that is a shoddy move. I never thought I’d be glad to still be monthly!
Old 09-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Elephant Whisperer

We haven't been able to use MoviePass for a month. Either no showings or just a short list of mostly crappy films. Yesterday, again no showings available ... or were there? We saw no showings available early in the day, but then our neighbor saw something available later in the afternoon. It's like playing Whack-a-Mole.

If it stops picking up at least one movie a month for us, we'll have to cancel.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:16 PM

That's too bad. I miss it and would've resubbed even with restrictions if it actually worked.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 09-09-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:01 PM

I was given the opportunity to cancel my year-long subscription with a prorated refund and I took it. I'm still in the 30-day processing window but I honestly am not holding out hope that the money actually comes through.

Even if it doesn't, I got value out of the subscription.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

My renewal date for my annual $90 subscription is in early December. I wonder should I just wait it out a couple of months before cancelling, or is it safer to cancel now?
Old 09-09-2018, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
My renewal date for my annual $90 subscription is in early December. I wonder should I just wait it out a couple of months before cancelling, or is it safer to cancel now?
Personally, I'd bail out now. As others have noted, MoviePass is pulling some really shady moves to pull in cash as it sinks into bankruptcy. Maybe you'll get a letter from them informing you they just renewed your membership two months early. Sure, you can protest but what are the chances you'll ever get your money back? Cancel your subscription and tell your bank not to process any charges on your account from the company.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:55 PM
Elephant Whisperer

We were able to use Movie Pass yesterday for A Simple Favor. That is the film we wanted to see, and it and one other was being offered by MP. Since this is the first weekend for A Simple Favor, we were pleasantly surprised.

Now, this particular movie theater, in Kahala Mall, has lower ticket prices than some. Matinee, which we went to, would have been $9.25, maybe 50 cents less since I now get the senior discount. So that still isn't quite the $9.95 I pay for MP. (Another one we go to charges around 12 bucks for a ticket.)

But there was a new and interesting development. Neither I or the wife was asked to take a photo of the ticket and upload it.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 09-16-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:53 AM

My year MoviePass subscription was bought through CostCo, and I have not been limited in the number of films I can see per month. I used it three times in the last week. I am limited to the films listed in the app.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Just for the hell of it I googled Moviepass. The first result was a paid ad for Moviepass which takes you to this page:
https://www.moviepass.com/

So they are apparently not only accepting new members but paying to reel them in.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:42 PM

With shares sitting at $0.013 there is talk of another reverse split in the range of 250-500 to 1. Apparently you can't remain listed on Nasdaq if your share price is less than $1.

Their shares are starting to look like the Zimbabwe dollar.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 PM

If the 1.7 million I Googled for number of shares is correct, then at 1.3 cents per share all of them together are worth $22,100. Do a 250 to one merger and that leaves 6800 shares worth $3.25 each.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
If the 1.7 million I Googled for number of shares is correct, then at 1.3 cents per share all of them together are worth $22,100. Do a 250 to one merger and that leaves 6800 shares worth $3.25 each.
It's approaching the point where it would be more economical to buy the company than pay the annual subscription fees.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
the market cap for HMNY is $8.279 million. That is the current value of the outstanding shares. At $0.013/share there are approximately 637 million shares outstanding.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:45 AM

Here is where I got the 1.7 million figure.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:11 PM

according to Nasdaq there are 816,073,000 shares outstanding. For a little over 10 million could buy them all. I probably wouldn't recommend it
Old 09-22-2018, 05:44 PM

A message from the CEO of MoviePass:
Old 10-03-2018, 10:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Boy, am I glad I never subscribed. Apparently some former subscribers who have already cancelled are being re-subscribed without their express approval. If you want to avoid being charged, you have to opt out. In other words, cancel a service you've alredy cancelled once. If you're one of those people, you will have been sent an e-mail within the last few days, but you might easily have missed it. You only have until tomorrow, Oct. 4, at 9 PM eastern time to cancel. https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/10/...l-charge-email

I can't see how that's legal. I'm not sure whether the credit card issuers are going to let them get away with it.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty sure the credit card they have on file was cancelled by my bank after a security breach. If they can't charge my card, am I home free?
Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I'm pretty sure the credit card they have on file was cancelled by my bank after a security breach. If they can't charge my card, am I home free?
Even if it's an active credit card, you're pretty well protected, unless the vendor can prove that you authorized a recurring charge. And if they are playing fast and loose with recurring charges by introducing hoops to jump through to cancel, the CC company will probably grant a chargeback anyway. Certainly, if you have cancelled, and you can prove it (with a screenshot or something) you will get subsequent CC charges refunded easily.

Last edited by Riemann; 10-03-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:01 AM

Be sure to check your statement for a charge of $65 million.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:23 AM

Who in the world is still giving them money? They can't even raise via stock since they'd need to sell 2 billion shares to cover a day.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 10-04-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Who in the world is still giving them money? They can't even raise via stock since they'd need to sell 2 billion shares to cover a day.
It's not like they have any tangible assets that will be sold at the inevitable liquidation. Enron at least owned a couple of nice office buildings.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post

Someone out there is stuck in a Brewster's Millions scenario.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 10-04-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

MoviePass' parent company being investigated over fraud concerns
Old 10-18-2018, 12:56 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Well, that's not good.

I received an e-mail from MoviePass today. Said I could receive two free bottles of wine if I buy a first two from some home-delivery service.

As for movies, not able to use it the first weekend this month, too busy to watch a movie last weekend.