Old 03-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Anyone watch Babylon Berlin on Netflix?

The first episode left me wondering if I'd continue but it starts getting good towards the end of the second. I'm up to about episode 4 now. It's in German so if you don't like subtitles, it's not for you.

Babylon Berlin at IMDb

German language trailer on YTube

Another trailer

There's a trailer with dubbed English but it seems comical once you've heard the original actors voices. I hope there's not a dubbed version of the whole show, it kind of ruins it.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
The first episode left me wondering if I'd continue but it starts getting good towards the end of the second. I'm up to about episode 4 now. It's in German so if you don't like subtitles, it's not for you.

Babylon Berlin at IMDb

German language trailer on YTube

Another trailer

There's a trailer with dubbed English but it seems comical once you've heard the original actors voices. I hope there's not a dubbed version of the whole show, it kind of ruins it.
Now I need to find the German version. I started watching it last night, and the dubbing really put me off. It's not Infra-Man bad, but the voices don't match the actors very well.

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
Now I need to find the German version. I started watching it last night, and the dubbing really put me off. It's not Infra-Man bad, but the voices don't match the actors very well.
Another classic example in my experience was the Swedish vampire movie "Let The Right One In." I read about it online, bought the DVD and watched the Swedish with subtitles version first. Loved it. Next time I tried the English dubbed version and it sucked. Didn't make it 5 minutes before switching to the Swedish version. There was also an American remake later but I never saw it.

BTW, the subtitles for BB are very well done.

Last edited by River Hippie; 03-06-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Watched it - fun episode to episode although so many plot twists to follow in subtitles. It looks great. I wish there weren’t so many coincidences across the characters.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:35 AM

At least on Netflix, you can choose any combo of audio track and CC.

After listening to a couple of minutes of the (bad) English dub, I went with German audio and English CC...

One note about this, though. At the time I watched it on Netflix, there was a serious error during the final episode in the English CC (and, after I went back and checked, in the English dub as well) regarding a date given for a flashback, of sorts, maybe (it is complicated). The German CC was a different date that would have worked.

Normally, no one would notice something so trivial as a fictional or botched date, but, in this case (1) it was in a part of the final episode that is open to several different interpretations, which made me wonder if it was intentional and a clue as to what was really going on, and, (2) it was bloody obvious in a "I actually stopped the episode and replayed it because I assumed I must have misread it" way. I mean, it ran on Sky Atlantic in the UK and Ireland back in November and I would have thought the issue would have been pointed out and fixed before the USA release.

Hopefully they have fixed it by now. If I get bored enough later today, I will check and see.

And no, I can't be any more clear without massive spoilers...
Old 01-21-2019, 04:08 PM

Good show. It's better with subtitles than with dubbing, but I got the sense that the subtitling was done by someone who knew more german than english, as it had a number of oddities. For example, 'following a trace' instead of 'following a lead'.