Old 05-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here's how the movie will start: A rehash of the scene where Nick's beeper sends a signal to Captain Marvel...cutting to the image of her beeper on the ground lighting up as her ashes are swept away by the wind.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Here's how the movie will start: A rehash of the scene where Nick's beeper sends a signal to Captain Marvel...cutting to the image of her beeper on the ground lighting up as her ashes are swept away by the wind.
Only to be picked up by Ralph Hinkley.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
And Rocket got pissed off when Star Prince called him a raccoon in the first GotG. Or at least denied it.
Well yeah, but he certainly isn't a rabbit or a trash panda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Cap wouldn't get a Beatles reference, unless he's caught up on them after waking up. His time as a Capsicle was from 1945 through 2010 (give or take).
Right, but he's also catching up on the things that he missed (see his meet cute with Sam Wilson in The Winter Soldier) and the "I understand that reference" calls back to his line in Marvel's The Avengers.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Well yeah, but he certainly isn't a rabbit or a trash panda.
He doesn't believe he is a raccoon or even know what a raccoon is.

Quote:
Peter Quill: A lot of people has been trying to kill me over the years. I'm not going to be brought down by a tree and a talking raccoon.

Rocket Raccoon: Hold up! What's a raccoon?

Peter Quill: What's a raccoon? You stupid.

Rocket Raccoon: Ain't no thing like me, except me!
Old 05-08-2018, 12:18 AM

Possible derail (I can start a new thread if people think this drifts too far):

What is the future of the mcu after Avengers 4? Thanos will inevitably be defeated, and it's very likely (almost certain) that a few of the original mcu avengers won't survive.

So what next?

Obviously there's a shit ton of Spider-man stories to be told (though if Sony has any say I just have to accept the Venom story will never be done right) and plenty of lesser known heroes that could be introduced.

but what are the future team up movies they could make? If Marvel makes a Fantastic Four film, we could get Doctor Doom and eventually Galactus. Anyone more knowledgeable in marvel have any idea where these films will go? Because they're surely going to keep making them Until they stop making money (which is a long way down the track imho).
Old 05-08-2018, 01:02 AM

X-Men. Marvel has the rights to them now so expect to see them coming into the MCU. I guess they'll come up with some in universe explanation for why we haven't seen any of them up to now, they were all in hiding for some reason maybe? I'd also expect Punisher, Deadpool, Luke Cage and Iron Fist to appear in the MCU pretty soon maybe just as cameos?

I also expect given the success of Dr Strange and the GotG movies for them to go off more into the "cosmic" side of the Marvel universe. Silver Surfer seems like a safe bet for a future movie and there is loads of cosmic beings he can fight.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coremelt View Post
I'd also expect Punisher, Deadpool, Luke Cage and Iron Fist to appear in the MCU pretty soon maybe just as cameos?
Punisher, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist are part of Marvel Studios' TV offerings and hence ostensibly part of the MCU along with Jessica Jones and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Punisher, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist are part of Marvel Studios' TV offerings and hence ostensibly part of the MCU along with Jessica Jones and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Yes, I meant I expect to see them crossing over into the films at some point, maybe same actors, maybe not. And Agent Coulson returning.... I hope anyway!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, I meant I expect to see them crossing over into the films at some point, maybe same actors, maybe not. And Agent Coulson returning.... I hope anyway!
Agent Coulson is the one the Avengers united to avenge, I seriously doubt they undo that.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Agent Coulson is the one the Avengers united to avenge, I seriously doubt they undo that.
Well, he's been alive and well in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for five seasons.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Various forces have made Coulson and his crew Public Enemy #1 the last couple of years, so there is no way in hell the Avengers don't know he is alive.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Well, he's been alive and well in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for five seasons.
Not once have the movies paid even one minor nod to anything going on in the TV shows though. That relationship only flows one way.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Not once have the movies paid even one minor nod to anything going on in the TV shows though. That relationship only flows one way.
They're still unambiguously canon and I don't think the movies will contradict that any time soon.

As for characters from marvel tv showing up, I don't think we're going to get anything beyond cameos. Maybe someone will need a lawyer and they'll visit Matt Murdock, but I don't see daredevil making an appearance. Plus the Netflix shows are definitely not suitable for children so they might be even more reluctant to directly acknowledge them in the films.

But on that note, the Netflix shows have always made minor references to the films but never overtly described anything that happens in them. It's going to be impossible to ignore the events in infinity war so I'm very interested to see what they do (though they'll probably all be set before infinity war or after avengers 4)

Last edited by HowSoonIsThen; 05-09-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:53 AM

Phil Coulson will be back in Captain Marvel (set in the 90s). It possible that whatever they do to save everyone in A4 might have a way to reintroduce him to the movies.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
X-Men. Marvel has the rights to them now
...no they don't. That deal is not a sure thing and is literally years away.

Recently Comcast has shown some interest in buying up Fox, so we'll see what actually happens.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:46 PM

The movies have seemed to imply that SHIELD is gone. In several Movies (Spider man being the one I thought of first) they used Damage Control where previously they would have used SHIELD.

From a real world perspective, the teams that make the TV product and Movies don't get along so I would agree this is all one way and the movies wouldn't think twice about contradicting the TV show if it suited them creatively.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The movies have seemed to imply that SHIELD is gone. In several Movies (Spider man being the one I thought of first) they used Damage Control where previously they would have used SHIELD.

From a real world perspective, the teams that make the TV product and Movies don't get along so I would agree this is all one way and the movies wouldn't think twice about contradicting the TV show if it suited them creatively.
Damage Control was only in Spider-man, mainly just to give a reason for for Vulture to hate Stark. On the show, SHIELD went dark after Winter Soldier, only briefly reappearing shortly after Civil War. The only movie that really happened in that period was Spider-man, but SHIELD, on the show, was more concerned about Inhumans so it's not something they would have gotten involved with. They also reference Agents of SHIELD (secretly) in Ultron when they help bring the helicarrier back.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:16 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Well that was depressing. I don't see all the superhero movies, I've missed several. However I went to see this one because I kept hearing there was a twist at the ending.

No twist, but very dark.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Huh.

From here.

Note the source article for CBR is here on Buzzfeed.
Joe and Anthony Russo, and Keven Feige will devoutly protect their stories, especially one this important. They will deceive fans and cast. After last year's Ruffalo incident, I wouldn't believe anything the producers say or any set shots I see.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
Joe and Anthony Russo, and Keven Feige will devoutly protect their stories, especially one this important. They will deceive fans and cast. After last year's Ruffalo incident, I wouldn't believe anything the producers say or any set shots I see.
Yeah, you are better off completely ignoring anything that comes from official channels. They swore up and down that Hawkeye was in this movie also.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
...no they don't. That deal is not a sure thing and is literally years away.
No, it's not literally years. It's literally a year at the very most, unless Comcast's bid is accepted, which is not likely as the Murdochs want that Disney stock.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
No, it's not literally years. It's literally a year at the very most, unless Comcast's bid is accepted, which is not likely as the Murdochs want that Disney stock.
At the most? You think?

Anyway... I called it.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
At the most? You think?
Every report I've read about the Disney-Fox deal is that deals like this take between 12-18 months to go through the FTC. It's already been 5 months, so I guess technically, it's not likely to be more than 13 more months, but probably less, given that the Murdochs don't change their mind. Comcast already outbid Disney, but they're offering cash whereas Disney is offering stocks and Disney stocks are likely to appreciate whereas cash depreciates due to inflation.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I definitely think there will be a time-travel element. I think Captain Marvel will play a big part of saving the day, and I think it's possible the entire setup of Infinity War was to get Fury to page Captain Marvel for that "1 in 14 million" shot.
It wasn't a "1 in 14 million" chance, like you only succeed if you roll 6 on a 14 million sided die, which would never happen. They succeed if all the conditions are met in that 1 sucess of 14 Million scenarios that Strange envisioned. I assume the actions he took afterward were respondent to that condition.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:30 AM

Infinity Wars 2: Deus Ex Machina. No way are the characters they killed are going to remain dead. Bet me your pennies against my $100 bills.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:13 AM

did all of the original Avengers survive? Yep, contrivance.
Even though half of them should have died, can't have much of an Avenger movie without Avengers.

Last edited by Harrington; 05-10-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Well, sure the deaths are real. I believe they are absolutely real, within the context of the fictional Marvel Cinematic Universe. Thing is, also established within that universe is a device that can rewrite reality, and whatever it rewrites reality to, then that will be absolutely real within the context of fictional Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Personally, I think Marvel Studios is about as likely to permanently kill off the MCU Black Panther and Spider-Man as they are to seek a permit to cordon off Times Square, assemble a huge pile of hundred-dollar bills totaling at least $500 million, and setting fire to it.
Yeah, exactly. There is too much money to be made in marvel films for them to kill off so many main characters.

Hell black panther alone grossed over 1 billion dollars so far. And it still has a lot of time to recoup the costs of production. They aren't killing that golden goose, no chance in hell.

I remember in the movie Dr Strange ran 14 million simulations, and the avengers only won in one. Then he gives the time amulet to Thanos, and says to Iron man something like 'its the only way'. So I'm assuming in part 2 that it turns out that this was all part of Dr. Strange's plan, and somehow they get the time amulet back and reverse time to bring everyone back to life.

They aren't killing billions of dollars worth of characters.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:01 PM

I think we can move beyond the "of course the dusted characters are going to come back."...yes...we know. The idea is HOW will they be brought back.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:39 PM

I think people are misinterpreting what Gwyneth Paltrow was saying. The decade she is referring to is from the first Iron Man until now.

There will probably be a bit of a time jump (maybe the very beginning takes place immediately after IW with a cut to "One Year Later" or something) but it won't be a decade. In any event the bulk of the movie will take place in the past (I think) so the opening setting won't matter much.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I think we can move beyond the "of course the dusted characters are going to come back."...yes...we know. The idea is HOW will they be brought back.
the time crystal. Reverse time and stop it all from happening.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Except the only guy who knows how to use it is one of the guys who got disintegrated.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Except the only guy who knows how to use it is one of the guys who got disintegrated.
Iron man is a genius, He will figure it out.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Thanos should never have gotten the Mind Stone. When he used the Time Stone to reverse things and reconstruct Vision, the first thing that should have happened was Thanos should have stopped using the Time Stone.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
Thanos should never have gotten the Mind Stone. When he used the Time Stone to reverse things and reconstruct Vision, the first thing that should have happened was Thanos should have stopped using the Time Stone.
While the Time Stone presumably could manipulate time on a universal scale, every time we've seen it used,* it's been to reverse time in a localized field that separates the objects inside from being affected by causality as we understand it. In Dr. Strange, when Strange is experimenting with the Time Stone, he uses it to age and de-age an apple, without affecting his own position in the time stream - when he reverses time on the apple, he doesn't reverse time for himself to the point before he started messing with the apple.

Thanos is doing the same thing to Vision. He's not reversing time globally - just for the pocket of space-time the Vision is inhabiting, so Thanos himself isn't affected, and can set him self up to rip the stone out of Vision's head.

Which raises the question - if he'd used the Time Stone to reverse time again, could he have gotten a second Mind Stone?

*Possibly excepting when Strange used it to defeat Dormammu.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:17 AM

Well, the first trailer is finally here, and the winner is...

enalzi and WordMan! Avengers: Endgame will be the next movie's title.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

https://youtu.be/hA6hldpSTF8

Woot!
Old 12-07-2018, 08:37 AM

Endgame is a cool title. And that's a great teaser -- especially loved seeing Hawkeye as Ronin.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Yeah, Endgame is a perfect title. I can't wait.

Now, considering the release date, when should I start my MCU viewfest if I wanted to watch one movie a week leading up to this?
Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Essentially right now. 147 days. 21 weeks.

20 movies. Plus Captain Marvel in March.

Get crackin'.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:34 AM

You can skip the Hulk standalone -- that's the only one I've never had any desire to watch again. Even the other weak ones (Thor 1 and 2 and Iron Man 2, IMO) still had several very enjoyable scenes and moments.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Check that in the trailer, Banner is looking at screens, probably of the missing.

Spider-Man is on screen. They don't know he's dusted because he was off-planet.

Scott Lang is there, and from Cap and Nat's reaction they didn't know he was still around. Maybe it takes time to get out of the Quantum Realm.

And Shuri is there. She's the only one we don't know the fate of. I just checked and she's not shown as being dusted. And she could be a big help figuring things out.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Scott Lang is there, and from Cap and Nat's reaction they didn't know he was still around. Maybe it takes time to get out of the Quantum Realm.
Yeah. Watching the trailer, I'd say that they're surprised to see Lang because everyone just assumed he was part of the snaptured 50%, since he basically disappeared at the same time. I also got the feeling that Lang didn't know what happened while he was gone.

If his daughter is gone, that's going to be a huge motivating force for him.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:54 AM

How did Scott get out of the Phantom Zone, er Quantum Realm?
Old 12-07-2018, 09:58 AM

Gotta say that I can't wait to see how all the different pieces get moved back together for the end of the movie.

I also am apprehensive about this movie, because it's essentially the end of all the threads we've been enjoying in the more-than-one-movie heroes. Such a big part of this franchise has been Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Scar-Jo, and Mark Ruffalo. How does Marvel move beyond that cast, when this is done? How do you re-load when you've essentially taken your best shot?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
How did Scott get out of the Phantom Zone, er Quantum Realm?
I think that is going to be part of The Plan.

How do you re-load when you've essentially taken your best shot?

You start by not assuming your best shot is in the past. Remember, when Phase 1 started Marvel was playing with a bunch of B-List characters. It turned them into giants. Who knows what is going to happen when they finally get to play with their A-Listers?

Or they might make a Squirrel Girl movie. Who knows?

Last edited by silenus; 12-07-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 AM

Jonathan Chance:

Quote:
Check that in the trailer, Banner is looking at screens, probably of the missing.

Spider-Man is on screen. They don't know he's dusted because he was off-planet.

I thought that he was just continuing to grasp the existence of both a Spider-Man and an Ant-Man.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Gotta say that I can't wait to see how all the different pieces get moved back together for the end of the movie.

I also am apprehensive about this movie, because it's essentially the end of all the threads we've been enjoying in the more-than-one-movie heroes. Such a big part of this franchise has been Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Scar-Jo, and Mark Ruffalo. How does Marvel move beyond that cast, when this is done? How do you re-load when you've essentially taken your best shot?
Every single new character they've added has been just as popular as the originals if not more. The movies are getting more entertaining and more profitable. Besides, I don't think we are losing any of those except Evans. Hell, Black Widow is up for her stand alone film and Thor 3 was the best of the bunch, and Loki is getting his own show, I doubt they stop there.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM

Thor looking guilty as hell. It wasn't just dejection in that sullen face.

Last edited by Harrington; 12-07-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

He should look guilty. He had the best shot to stop Thanos and he flubbed it. Not like he knew any better, but he'd still blame himself.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I think that is going to be part of The Plan.

How do you re-load when you've essentially taken your best shot?

You start by not assuming your best shot is in the past. Remember, when Phase 1 started Marvel was playing with a bunch of B-List characters. It turned them into giants. Who knows what is going to happen when they finally get to play with their A-Listers?

Or they might make a Squirrel Girl movie. Who knows?
Yeah, Feige has said they'll go in a different direction with Phase 4. So who knows what's going to happen. Maybe it'll be more cosmic with Captain Marvel, the Eternals and Adam Warlock interspersed with more personal, smaller things like Spider-Man and Black Widow.

All I really want is a She Hulk movie. Is that too much to ask?