Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-23-2018, 09:42 PM
Ukulele Ike Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 16,433
I burst into laughter during the first few seconds of the Aquaman trailer. Does no one else know the old patter song:

Oh, my father was the keeper of the Eddystone Light
And he slept with a mermaid one fine night!
Out of this union there came three:
A herring and a haddock and the other was me.

Yo ho ho, the wind blows free...
Oh for the life of the open sea!
__________________
Uke
  #52  
Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 27,570
Yeah, I flashed on that one, too.
  #53  
Old 07-23-2018, 09:49 PM
Ukulele Ike Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 16,433
Well then, Aquaman really should enlist his brothers in his battles.

He has armor; they’re in tin cans.
__________________
Uke
  #54  
Old 07-23-2018, 09:50 PM
Acsenray Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 34,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I burst into laughter during the first few seconds of the Aquaman trailer. Does no one else know the old patter song:

Oh, my father was the keeper of the Eddystone Light
And he slept with a mermaid one fine night!
Out of this union there came three:
A herring and a haddock and the other was me.

Yo ho ho, the wind blows free...
Oh for the life of the open sea!

I've certainly never heard it.
  #55  
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
It looks just as good as every other DC movie. Call me psychic, this is how this movie is going to go:

Step One: Make a good trailer everyone talks about. But since it's DC everyone will say "whoa, every other trailer looked good, but it'll probably suck!"

Step Two: Movie comes out and is actually a pretty good movie. Not spectacular, but quite good.

Step Three: People see the movie, but because it's DC they automatically hate it and talk about how it's trying to be Marvel but isn't. "The movie is stupid/doesn't make sense/sucks"

Step Four: No one goes and sees the movie because word of mouth says it's bad, even though it isn't.

Step Five: A billion articles about how DC isn't as good as Marvel and why and blah blah.


It's the same for every DC movie.

BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad were pretty good movies in their own right, but no one gives them a chance and they tank. For some reason, Wonder Woman gets a pass. I am guessing it's because Gal Gadot is beautiful and did the character well, but the movie itself isn't all that particularly good, it's the same as every other DC movie.

So, I'll see this movie and enjoy it, but I doubt the sentiment will translate.
I was with you all the way through Step One.

People aren't saying DC movies are bad because it's trendy. They're saying DC movies are bad because they're bad.
  #56  
Old 07-23-2018, 10:41 PM
cmkeller's Avatar
cmkeller cmkeller is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 13,227
Ukulele Ike, I've never heard that song (is that what they call a sea shanty?) but if that reference is something the writers intended in the trailer, it's brilliant.
  #57  
Old 07-23-2018, 11:03 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I burst into laughter during the first few seconds of the Aquaman trailer. Does no one else know the old patter song:

Oh, my father was the keeper of the Eddystone Light
And he slept with a mermaid one fine night!
Out of this union there came three:
A herring and a haddock and the other was me.

Yo ho ho, the wind blows free...
Oh for the life of the open sea!
Yep. First thing that came to my mind when the trailer started.
  #58  
Old 07-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Ukulele Ike Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 16,433
There are several versions on YouTube, but I like this one the most.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zIF1DPN_Njw

I also like the idea of Aquaman being served up in a chafing dish.
__________________
Uke
  #59  
Old 07-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Ukulele Ike Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 16,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Ukulele Ike, I've never heard that song (is that what they call a sea shanty?) but if that reference is something the writers intended in the trailer, it's brilliant.
I agree with you.
__________________
Uke
  #60  
Old 07-24-2018, 01:09 PM
Ukulele Ike Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 16,433
I wouldn’t call it a real sea chantey....it’s more like a “lewd English folk song.” Chanteys tend to be about maritime work.
__________________
Uke
  #61  
Old 07-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,379
You can't say that DC makes good movies that people hate just because they're DC, and then wave away Wonder Woman as an anomaly. People gave Wonder Woman a chance, and it turned out to be pretty good, and so it was successful. It's really that simple: Make good movies, and they'll be successful. Yes, Wonder Woman had its flaws, but Gadot was good enough to make up for them.

How good this movie is remains to be seen, and you can't really tell from the trailer. But I'll add my voice to the chorus that's already saying that that red hair looks terrible. Either go with a natural hair color, or go with something so unnatural that it's clearly unnatural like blue or green, but red-that's-not-red-hair-red is just uncanny valley.
  #62  
Old 07-24-2018, 01:29 PM
simster simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,961
'fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me'

I have a hard time with trailers for DC movies - several have been fantastic (as trailers), Suicide Squad is a great example - and then have the movies not live up (at all).

So, yeah - the trailer for this looks interesting - but going to see it will be entirely dependant on what is playing against it that weekend.
  #63  
Old 07-24-2018, 02:45 PM
planetcory planetcory is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I was with you all the way through Step One.

People aren't saying DC movies are bad because it's trendy. They're saying DC movies are bad because they're bad.
I disagree.

'Trendy' may not be the right word. DC isn't making movies that appeal to the current zeitgeist. I don't think people's assessments are without bias toward a certain style/tone of movie. That's why Wonder Woman 'worked.' Because it fit.

The only genuinely bad DC movie so far is Suicide Squad. The rest have ranged from pretty good to flawed to meh.

Last edited by planetcory; 07-24-2018 at 02:48 PM.
  #64  
Old 07-24-2018, 02:48 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 40,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcory View Post
'Trendy' may not be the right word. DC isn't making movies that appeal to the current zeitgeist. I don't think people's assessments are without bias toward a certain style/tone of movie. That's why Wonder Woman 'worked.' Because it fit.
FWIW I'd love it if DC made more movies with Wonder Woman's feel: mostly earnest, not much irony, not much grimdark. There can be wit and humor (please god), but it doesn't need to be wink-wink-nudge-nudge, like MCU is.
  #65  
Old 07-24-2018, 03:31 PM
Quimby Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
It looks just as good as every other DC movie. Call me psychic, this is how this movie is going to go:

Step One: Make a good trailer everyone talks about. But since it's DC everyone will say "whoa, every other trailer looked good, but it'll probably suck!"

Step Two: Movie comes out and is actually a pretty good movie. Not spectacular, but quite good.

Step Three: People see the movie, but because it's DC they automatically hate it and talk about how it's trying to be Marvel but isn't. "The movie is stupid/doesn't make sense/sucks"

Step Four: No one goes and sees the movie because word of mouth says it's bad, even though it isn't.

Step Five: A billion articles about how DC isn't as good as Marvel and why and blah blah.


It's the same for every DC movie.

BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad were pretty good movies in their own right, but no one gives them a chance and they tank. For some reason, Wonder Woman gets a pass. I am guessing it's because Gal Gadot is beautiful and did the character well, but the movie itself isn't all that particularly good, it's the same as every other DC movie.

So, I'll see this movie and enjoy it, but I doubt the sentiment will translate.

I am glad that I am not alone. I wrote an entire thread about why I think Justice League is a good movie (the villain kind of suck, yes but nearly every Super Hero movie has a bad or at least boring villain). And while flawed I think BvS was a course correction in the right direction for Superman.

Wonder Woman is awesome. I look forward to the sequel.

I liked the version of Aquaman in JL. Now this trailer makes me excited to see this movie.

I really liked the JL version of the Flash. I am hoping a movie gets announced soon.

JL had the best looking and most "accurate" version of a Batman of any of his live action films. Even the Nolan films. He looked, moved and fought just right.

Superman needs work but they are starting to fix what Man of Steel got wrong.

Suicide Squad was an entertaining movie. I would love to see a Deadshot spin off.

Marvel Movies are good but it is okay to also like DC movies too.

Last edited by Quimby; 07-24-2018 at 03:34 PM.
  #66  
Old 07-24-2018, 03:46 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Marvel Movies are good but it is okay to also like DC movies too.
Likewise, it's okay to admit that a DC movie failed to get an audience on its own merits or failings instead of blaming some other studio or a cabal of fans for it. DC is up against some stiff competition but that's on them to make it work.

The comic fans I know would love to see a DC movie that pulled its weight. They follow the comics and talk about the television shows and buy collector's editions of the complete Batman: the Animated Series. But a DC movie comes out and it ranges from "Meh" to "Bleah". That's not Marvel's fault. Out of the other people I know, two thirds of them wouldn't blink or see anything weird about Batman showing up to help Iron-Man, that's how little they know or care about DC vs Marvel. But they're still not excited about a new Superman flick because the previous ones were a drag.

"Because it's DC, they hate it" is a lame cop-out.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-24-2018 at 03:46 PM.
  #67  
Old 07-24-2018, 03:58 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,632
Exactly. I lay the entire thing at the feet of Zach Snyder. His "vision" for the DCU is what has dragged every movie they've done into the depths of garbage.
  #68  
Old 07-25-2018, 12:54 PM
EarlGrayHot EarlGrayHot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 35
She does indeed.
  #69  
Old 07-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Exactly. I lay the entire thing at the feet of Zach Snyder. His "vision" for the DCU is what has dragged every movie they've done into the depths of garbage.
Yes. Zach Snyder and his foul stench is the entire problem.
  #70  
Old 07-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! Grrr! is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 15,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I don't know, that whole scene of him swimming into Atlantis or whatever it is made me have flashbacks of Phantom Menace, will Jar Jar be in the background somewhere?

I wasn't reminded of the SW scene, but I was thinking it would be kind of cool if they did a Jar Jar implant Easter Egg style. (No speaking parts or anything like that. Just have him hidden in the crowd somewhere for the uber geeks to find after they've combed over the movie a few times)
  #71  
Old 07-25-2018, 01:24 PM
Tzigone Tzigone is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
But this trailer isn’t the complete dumpster fire that Shazam! is.
I was so disappoint when I heard it was going to be comedy. Green Hornet sucked that way. Of course, I liked the GH radio serials. I was already sort of negative because it was New 52 Billy, which I don't like nearly as much as the really good kid PreBoot version. I guess it makes it easier to disassociate from the comics, though, and that's a plus. Won't pay theater prices for it, though. Might stream later, if I'm quite bored, and try to keep it as a separate thing and not Captain Marvel (I know, I know, I haven't even accepted the not-so-new name).

I was just really hoping for a good modernization of Captain Marvel/Shazam. One that let him be the good kid he was in the comics (don't have to be edgy/jerkish to be entertaining), and dropped the cornball motif/slang that all the other comics (that weren't canceled in the 50s) gradually lost as the genre changed. You know, back when Billy was new, he wasn't any more extreme, silly or dated in his language than any other character.

I'm in interested in Aquaman. I hate evil siblings, but that's kind of baked in the source material (though at least at one time in the comics his brother was all keen on welcoming Arthur and making him king and the brothers got set up to be hostile to each other, if I recall correctly - haven't read a lot of Aquaman as I never liked evil siblings and got fed up with Atlantis getting destroyed/conquered/etc. over and over again - same thing happen with Tamaran it seems like). Don't know why they did that to her hair, though.

Still, I plan to check it out.

For the record, I really liked Man of Steel, I enjoyed Batman v. Superman (only extended cut - what I heard about the theatrical was not good), and I liked Wonder Woman, too. Justice League was really not good at all.

Last edited by Tzigone; 07-25-2018 at 01:25 PM.
  #72  
Old 08-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Acsenray Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 34,764
“Why Must We Force Female Superheroes to Wear Terrible Red Wigs?
For women in comic book movies, with great power comes horrendous red mops.”

https://slate.com/culture/2018/08/fe...s-do-this.html

Having thought it over, I actually like the fake red colors.
  #73  
Old 10-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt Ike Witt is online now
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,233
There is a new extended trailer that just came out. It does look like it could be a really good comic book movie.
  #74  
Old 10-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Stranger On A Train Stranger On A Train is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 18,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
There is a new extended trailer that just came out. It does look like it could be a really good comic book movie.
It looks like Aquaman of Steel down to the "lifting the <insert vehicle here> out of harm's way" shot. Jason Momoa does a pretty credible Chris Pratt imitation, and I was going to credit the CGI with looking more polished than the first trailer until I got to the scenes of Amber Heard running across rooftops which look like an early 'Aughts Elder Scrolls game.

I'm waiting for an actually good post-Nolan DC movie (Wonder Woman was a mediocre movie propped up by a great starring performance) but I'm dubious that this is it.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 10-05-2018 at 06:15 PM.
  #75  
Old 10-05-2018, 10:07 PM
simster simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,961
yeah - the extended trailer made me less likely to pay to go see it - I think Bumblebee starts the same weekend.
  #76  
Old 10-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Hampshire Hampshire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,860
Was never a comic book person by any means but watched plenty of the Super Friends as a kid in the 70s. Immediately got excited recognizing Black Manta who I havenít thought about or seen in about 40 years.
  #77  
Old 11-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt Ike Witt is online now
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,233
The final trailer is up. It looks more polished than earlier trailers, but that makes sense with the movie coming in about a month.

I am still cautiously optimistic.
  #78  
Old 11-19-2018, 05:01 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,632
"Cautiously optimistic."

Well-phrased. Me, too. Although the "We need a hero" line made me throw-up in my mouth a little.

OK, a lot.
  #79  
Old 11-20-2018, 07:13 AM
Tzigone Tzigone is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,229
I'd rather had Vulko bad and Orm good/manipulated (I think that was status quo for at least a bit of N52?). But I've never liked evil siblings. And frankly, I sort of have issue with an outsider ruling Atlantis (and Arthur was raised as an outsider), especially given how absolute that monarchy often is in comics. It seems a little colonialist. Though at least Mera is actually Atlantean in this version, so that's good.

I'll definitely check it out, but I don't know if I'm going to go see it in theaters. I just don't know that I can enjoy evil sibling much.
  #80  
Old 11-20-2018, 07:38 AM
The Other Waldo Pepper The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,132
I didnít get nearly as much of a ĎThorí vibe from the previous trailer.
  #81  
Old 11-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 40,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, looking it up, for all people talk about him in Game of Thrones he was only in the first two seasons. If it's still being talked about he must have done something right.
He managed to be believable and expressive while speaking something nobody understood. You couldn't understand a word he said, yet you knew what he was saying. OK, a lot of it didn't exactly need much in the way of esoteric translation ("c'mere wench" is pretty universal), but there's a lot of guys who wouldn't have been able to pull it off in any kind of credible way.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #82  
Old 11-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,732
Well, my wife wants to see this and there was some Amazon Prime thing (I went through Atom tickets, dunno if it's available elsewhere) to see it a week early on the 15th. So I'll be able to complain about it before anyone else! And post spoilers on Facebook!
  #83  
Old 11-20-2018, 09:21 AM
XT's Avatar
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 34,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The trailer is here. It looks like a good, fun to watch movie.

Full disclosure, I actually liked Justice League.
I didn't really like Justice League, though I didn't hate it as some seem too. I'm...cautiously optimistic about this film. I did like the trailer, and it looks like a good popcorn and soda movie. I hope they pull it off...it would be nice if they managed to get some good movies other than Wonder Woman, but they seem to miss a lot more than they hit. I was 'cautiously optimistic' about Suicide Squad based on the trailer as well, and that didn't turn out well.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #84  
Old 12-16-2018, 01:33 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,732
Saw it tonight and it wasn't bad. Not great but better than most other DC movies. Never reached the heights of Wonder Woman but also lacked WW's trainwreck ending. Really just sort of consistently okay. My wife really liked it though so maybe together we'd average a B rating. If it was MCU, this could star in a double-feature with Ant-Man & Wasp without either film upstaging the other.

It had action, it had big CG ocean scenes, it had humor -- although not as much as I was expecting. It wasn't Suicide Squad "Oh shit, we need to splice in some jokes" bad but it's obvious that they weren't going into this with a full "This will be the funny one in the DCU" mindset. It had Black Manta and he was okay although underused in my opinion. It had the actual main bad guy who I had little opinion about and it had Willem Defoe who made me think "Hey, it's Willem Dafoe" each time I saw him. It also had Amber Heard in her questionable cosplay wig. Speaking of, when Aquaman was underwater, his beard moved a lot. Much more than I'd think a beard would move underwater while you're staying still.

Besides the beard, there were also a lot of fish. And sea horse-dragons and giant turtles and crab-people and other stuff I wouldn't want to spoil. But trust me when I tell you that there's a LOT going on under there that you don't know about. I was disappointed that they didn't play Donovan's "Atlantis" over the ending credits.

It was alright. If you think you want to see it, go ahead and do so. You probably won't leave angry and you'll get to see larger sea horse-dragons than the people who waited on the video release.

Last edited by Jophiel; 12-16-2018 at 01:34 AM.
  #85  
Old 12-17-2018, 03:14 AM
Terminus Est's Avatar
Terminus Est Terminus Est is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The tropics
Posts: 7,377
As I posted on Facebook: Aquaman is no Wonder Woman, but he'll do. Now when is Flashpoint?

Yeah, I really, really want to see Flashpoint. I'm hoping that now that they've established the Amazonians and the Atlanteans and their respective mythos, we'll get to see them duke it out for supremacy over the Earth.
  #86  
Old 12-17-2018, 03:56 AM
Go_Arachnid_Laser Go_Arachnid_Laser is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Fred MacMurray.
In case there's any doubt, here's a quote from Captain Marvel's creator, C. C. Beck:

Captain Marvel himself was based on the actor Fred MacMurray, who was known as a pretty down-to-earth guy.
— C.C. Beck


Interestingly enough, Mary Marvel was based on Judy Garland.

Last edited by Go_Arachnid_Laser; 12-17-2018 at 03:56 AM.
  #87  
Old 12-17-2018, 04:24 AM
Mijin's Avatar
Mijin Mijin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 8,813
In theory it should be brilliant since:

1. DC movies suck
2. Underwater fiction is almost always boring

So something as ballsy as this must be good. They only needed to add peter pan and a waterworld crossover to have a surefire hit.

Seriously it's frustrating with DC movies. I know this is a couple years late but I recently watched this breakdown of the editing and plot problems with Suicide Squad showing how a potentially good film was spoiled by several inexplicable decisions.
  #88  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 AM
amaguri amaguri is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,055
I saw it via the Amazon "preview" screening. I thought it was ok... it's by no means awful and I think Jason Momoa has the charisma to lead the franchise but some of the dialog was beyond corny, like cringe-worthy bad. Amber Heard is also, uh, not a great actress? In general I was a little underwhelmed but my husband liked it well enough so I'd say, if you have any interest going in it will probably be satisfactory
  #89  
Old 12-18-2018, 06:10 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 24,575
Saw it yesterday, I liked it quite a bit. It's basically the Throne of Atlantis retold as live action, and I'm cool with it. Sufficiently comic-booky for me, especially some of those wide shots, like in the boat, and the final battle. Nice creature design, obviously got good use out of Wayne Barlowe there.

I only had to mutter "Lava doesn't work that way!" under my breath 3 times, too. Which is a lot for a film mostly set underwater, but not too much as these things go.
  #90  
Old 12-18-2018, 10:13 AM
JB99 JB99 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 870
I told my wife I heard good things about 'Aquaman,' and replied: "I don't care if it's the dumbest movie on the face of the Earth, I'm going to watch it." She says this because (A) she's the kind of person who will deliberately watch cheesy movies like 'The Meg' and (B) Jason Momoa.
  #91  
Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Mijin's Avatar
Mijin Mijin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 8,813
Just got back from watching it.

Pros:
Although the overall story arc is fairly predictable, enough things happen along the way to make it a good story
Liked Momoa in this role...his apathetic vibe fits well in the crowded superhero field, and his face is believably half-atlantean
They used the same brighter color scheme as WW (no more attempts at gritty realism), and good use of depth in many sequences
Original setting

Cons:
The story is really very similar to Black Panther.
They very frequently use explosion jump scares to abruptly start action scenes. Including at one point a hard cut to a guy shooting directly at the camera. So lazy and so annoying.
In some close up shots, it really looked like a cheap, star-trek TOS set. Bizarrely this was most often during scenes on land.
Black manta I'm torn on...the character WRT the plot is not just a mindless thug, but that's the way the actor played it

For me, it's a "quite good" movie, the same as I thought of Wonder Woman.

Upthread someone put this in the same bracket as Ant Man 2...can't understand that at all, antman2 was dreadful.
  #92  
Old 12-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Upthread someone put this in the same bracket as Ant Man 2...can't understand that at all, antman2 was dreadful.
That was me. I felt both movies were inoffensive and entertaining enough to sit through but nothing to recommend that people need to see. Your opinion may vary, of course.
  #93  
Old 12-19-2018, 03:41 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 24,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Cons:
The story is really very similar to Black Panther.
Except - Aquaman is the outsider Killmonger figure here, Ocean Master is the raised-to-rule T'Challa analogue.
So in a way, it's the inverse.
  #94  
Old 12-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 11,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
I told my wife I heard good things about 'Aquaman,' and replied: "I don't care if it's the dumbest movie on the face of the Earth, I'm going to watch it." She says this because (A) she's the kind of person who will deliberately watch cheesy movies like 'The Meg' and (B) Jason Momoa.
Some day, maybe your wife would like to get together for movie night. (I'm saying I'm exactly the same way.)
  #95  
Old 12-19-2018, 03:04 PM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 40,557
My wife wants to see it just because she likes things DC. Personally, I thought the trailer looked stupid as hell and featured every bad thing about comic book movies.

As my standard for watching movies is pretty casual, what the heck. I mean, it can't be any worse than the Spider-Man movie that had Andrew Garfield in it. If it's better than that I'll be happy.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #96  
Old 12-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Biggirl Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,511
Because of this thread I am now ending all my prayers with, "So help me, Aquaman."
  #97  
Old 12-20-2018, 01:22 PM
JcWoman JcWoman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,892
I loved Jason Momoa in this, and not just because he's eye candy. I think he's a fine actor and did a great job with crappy writing. I hated some of the lines he had to spew, namely the ones where he had to act dumb. "I don't remember what $person just told me 2 seconds ago". I fault the writers for that. Just because he's all muscle doesn't mean he has to be stupid.

The hair bothered me quite a bit. It clearly looked CG, pasted onto their heads.

The movie would have been better to spend more time on character development and less time chasing two bad guys around. In other words, they should have only had one villian. And it should have been black mantis, who was interesting and extremely under-used. The brother was a cream pie milk sop villian and therefore a waste.

My husband and I agreed that we never really cared what happened to any of the characters. They all seemed flat. Needed more development and a reason for us to get emotionally invested in them.
  #98  
Old 12-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,433
I thought it a pretty poor movie. At every step of the way bar one Momoa gets told what to do. He almost never finds out for himself. The exception is the bottle in the hand of the king. And the fights above the lava fields? Give over.

And, oh look, they're going to the Mediterranean! Umm... isn't Wonder Woman's home in the Med? They missed an opportunity for a cameo. Or was Gal Godot pregnant at the time?
  #99  
Old 12-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 21,988
Meh, it was mediocre at best. Too many meaningless battles between nameless groups we don't care about. Too many pointless jump scares. Too many difficult to follow action scenes. Too many interchangeable characters.
  #100  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 21,988
And Nicole Kidman is horribly miscast.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017