Old 10-04-2018, 08:31 AM

This is Us: Season 3

I didn't see a thread on this yet. We know from the Season 2 finale that there are a lot of changes for the Big 3, and in the first two episodes we start to see how that plays out.

Randall and Beth are adopting Deja, but something is going to go wrong there. Toby gives up his depression meds to raise his sperm count. Kevin is in a casual (but probably not for long) relationship with Beth's cousin.

So glad to see William back, and we can see from Teen Randall giving up Howard that he wants to fix things, even though he doesn't grasp the scope of what needs to be fixed. Changing a light bulb in a rec center isn't going to cut it.

Onwards with the Pearsons!

Last edited by Bone; 10-04-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo in title
Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for starting the thread ivylass! I was surprised we didn't have one yet and was going to start one if nobody else did.

Kate's comment about being the only one who can pass along a piece of dad is obviously not going to sit well with Randall. I know she was speaking in strictly genetic terms, but that's still going to sting.

Mods, can we get a fix to the thread title? "This is Us".
Old 10-04-2018, 09:01 AM

Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 AM

I thought it was pretty awesome when Beth's talk to Kevin wasn't "Don't hurt my cousin" but instead it was "She will break you"
Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Toby is fast becoming my favorite character.
From his butt-out rant to Rebecca down to his "I'm a heroin addict" he was on fire in the last episode.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Nothing makes me stop paying attention to an episode faster than a dream sequence.

That episode was a terrible mess. The only good part was Jane Kazamarek.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Especially since one doesn't dream under anesthesia. But okay then.

I liked the Young Jack and Rebecca part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Jack take his mother to Miguel's house? I recognize the layout. Also, did they film a lot of the ten year old Big Three parts earlier? Those kids should have aged more, but they're still the same even though this is the third season.

What do Toby and Kate do in order to afford IVF? We know Randall has been out of work for awhile, but they still seem to be rather well off, but now Beth has lost her job. Randall does enjoy rescuing people, doesn't he? It will be interesting to see if he puts aside his plan to run for office on hold while he helps Beth.

I did like Kevin's part. His realization that his dad must have seen combat and his desire to learn more shows growth for his character.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 PM

I don't feel like spending 10 episodes with Kevin moping about how he never asked Jack about his service before he died. He was 16, 17. I'm sure if he were still alive he would have asked him about it by now. It's totally fine that Jack didn't share details with a literal child.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 PM

In one flash-forward I think during the premiere (I just watched all three of this season's episodes so it's a blur) Toby isn't wearing his wedding ring while he was on the phone. I thought surely Kate was going to die this last episode. I think that is still a possibility in the near future.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:48 PM

I just did a search on "Toby not wearing wedding ring" and saw this screen-grab Tweet. I thought I was right! https://twitter.com/FareedaSays/stat...71891318345728
Old 10-17-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Oh. My. God.

That was such a powerful and moving episode. I loved seeing Jack as a young man in Vietnam. His relationship with his brother is so complicated, given the abuse they grew up with. October 18 was not lucky for so many young men.

The scene with all the babies at the end drove me to tears. I'm still tearing up when I think of it.
And the soundtrack! Darkness, Darkness has always been a favorite of mine. Such a sad, haunting tune.

Looks like next week is going to be exciting and emotional, too.

I love this show.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

As they kept going further back in time I couldn't help but think of the reverse Seinfeld episode.

I called it when the black dude got blowed up. Two cliches at work: the black guy gets it first, and the counting down the days until he goes home. I knew right away he was doomed.

Really good episode though. Nice to get some more back story about Jack's family. And it's interesting that Jack's dad didn't start drinking until after the boys were born.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post

I called it when the black dude got blowed up. Two cliches at work: the black guy gets it first, and the counting down the days until he goes home. I knew right away he was doomed.
"Hey, Bubba."

"Hey, Forrest."

I didn't like it. Partly to blame is NBC's website, which doesn't always sync audio and video and then it kept having to reload and it would show the same 10 seconds over and over. And if it went to commercial? It would show all 8 of them again instead of "remembering" it just showed me 3 minutes of ads. Still, it works better and more consistently than FOX's, CBS's, and ABC's, plus various cable networks.

I think parts of it were really good, like the above-mentioned babies. But it held no surprises for me and was like every Vietnam fictional piece I've seen. And that's ok, but not for me. I don't like Very Special Episodes, which was how this was promoted.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 PM

It was mostly predictable and cliche wasn't it? Most of the episodes are though. I think I mostly stick around to find out the answers to the mysteries as they bring them up. I don't find any of the characters endearing except Toby.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:53 AM

I liked it, but we didn't get any answers. Why was Nick angry at Jack? What happened to Nick? I guess we'll find those things out when Kevin goes on his search.

Either Michael Ironside has really gone to seed or he was wearing a fat suit. My goodness.

Did anyone catch that when Jack's dad was in the hospital when Nick was being born that his voice sounded like Jack's? It will be interesting to find out what happened in the seven years after his son was born that he became abusive. I found it so sad when he came home from work and the boys didn't immediately leap up from the porch to greet him. That speaks volumes.

How accurate was the draft they portrayed? Were those the dates they really pulled in that order?

I also thought the black guy was going to die, but he just got his foot blown off. That must have been the person Kevin wrote to in the episode before this one.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
How accurate was the draft they portrayed? Were those the dates they really pulled in that order?
Those were the real draft numbers. October 19 came out at 241.

You can check how you would have gone here.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Really good episode though. Nice to get some more back story about Jack's family. And it's interesting that Jack's dad didn't start drinking until after the boys were born.
I'm really curious about why he started drinking. Maybe they lost a future daughter?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:28 AM

It's a pretty big leap to go from loving husband, father, and teetotaler to an abusive drunk. Maybe a job loss? Maybe he finds out Jack isn't his? If Jack isn't his son maybe that's why he more abusive to him than Nick.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
It was mostly predictable and cliche wasn't it? Most of the episodes are though. I think I mostly stick around to find out the answers to the mysteries as they bring them up. I don't find any of the characters endearing except Toby.
Yeah, I thought it was boring. Typical Vietnam drivel, including music soundtrack. The most realistic part of it was Nick burning the shitter barrels. That was always a job for fuckups.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:55 PM

Jack's father was already abusive. Unless nbc.com messed up what I saw, the nurse asked Jack's mother if she liked the baby's father and she gave the nurse a look like "Bitch, are you high? Hell no."

He just moved on from wife to kids when that part of his brain said it was time.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 PM

No, the nurse asked if she like her husband's father (Jack's grandfather).
Old 10-19-2018, 10:14 AM

Yes, Mom said tomorrow was Grandpa's birthday, which is why she wanted the baby born on Oct 18.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 PM

Ah. Sarcastic thanks to NBC. It was not clear who the "him/he/his" was with the weird playback. Genuine thanks to you both for clearing it up.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:44 AM

Well, Kate is pregnant. She got pregnant before, but lost the baby. I don't hold out much hope.

I love the Kevin and Zoe scenes. I can see her filming a documentary about the hot movie star searching for his father...who finds himself.

Randall is rather clueless, isn't he? Beth won't tell him she tanked the job interview, probably because she feels she has to hold it together while he flies off and does his thing.

We did see the scene with Kate and Toby that was foretold in the season two finale. It was nice to see Wendie Malick again. I don't think we've seen Toby's brother, though.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

So, are they using lots of CGI to youthify people? There were some scenes last week with younger Jack and also his younger dad where something just looked "off" with their faces. Last night it was younger Wendie Malick with kid Toby shopping for clothes and.. was that Dan Lauria as Toby's dad?... who also looked like they'd been CGI'ed.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:17 AM

It's either very good makeup or they're erasing the lines. Yes, it was Dan Lauria.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 AM

The only scene I didn't buy was Toby in the pharmacy. If he had a valid prescription, he should have been able to get it refilled without the pharmacist telling him to go see his doctor. Even if he was trying to fill it early, most pharmacies will give (sell) you a few days worth of meds until you can get an appointment provided you are not asking for opiods or some other commonly abused medication.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:35 PM

She might have been put off by his crazy story about trying to raise his sperm count. You're right, a simple refill could have been done over the phone (I do this all the time.)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
She might have been put off by his crazy story about trying to raise his sperm count. You're right, a simple refill could have been done over the phone (I do this all the time.)
Or maybe his behavior in general - didn't she say something about seeing the doctor to get back on his meds properly? It's not like he walked in and just said he needed a refill or even mentioned some reason he needed an early refill/a few pills to tide him over that did not involve him being off his meds for even a few days.There are plenty of medications where if you miss a couple of days or weeks, you can just pick up right where you left off with the same regimen- but not all medications are like that.

Last edited by doreen; 10-24-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

The whole Kate and Toby story is just boring. Good actors, poor story. And I'll probably catch flak for this, but two people with such huge health issues having a child just rubs me wrong. IRL, both would likely be dead by age 50, either from heart failure or suicide, after having passed on addiction and depression tendencies to their child. Yes, people have a right to seek happiness, but the odds of a happy ending to the story are unlikely for any offspring.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:29 PM

Kate is going to put on MORE weight being pregnant. She may very well be immobile by the time the baby is born. I can't help feeling a wee bit sorry for Chrissy Metz.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm wondering about the Randall-runs-for-office story line. Can he run for Philadelphia City Council when he lives in Alpine, New Jersey?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

To answer my own question, in the real world, you have to be a resident for at least one year to run for city council.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:08 PM

Yeah, I don't buy just owning a building is enough. And how do Randall and Beth's finances work? He's been out of work for at least a year, they bought a rundown building, she's now out of work, and now she's off to be campaign manager, which I will assume is a position paid for out of contributions. Good thing they have a campaign manager. They are both babes in the woods here.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, I don't buy just owning a building is enough. And how do Randall and Beth's finances work? He's been out of work for at least a year, they bought a rundown building, she's now out of work, and now she's off to be campaign manager, which I will assume is a position paid for out of contributions. Good thing they have a campaign manager. They are both babes in the woods here.

There are positions where owning a building or working in a city are sufficient qualifications - but those tend to be unpaid positions on advisory boards. Not the sort of thing you run for.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

So far, I think the BBQ joint owner, the incumbent councilor and the Korean-American campaign manager have pointed out that he's an outsider, basically a carpetbagger. He really needs to explain why he's not.

And Beth's not handling the job loss well but perhaps this will lead her to a new career in politics or government?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:47 AM

Sometime 11/13

I thought they handled Jack meeting his brother in Vietnam a little oddly. He finds and greets his brother, talks to his brother's CO, then heads back to his own camp without saying goodbye to his brother?

No way in hell I would ever eat bat. Poor Zoe. I wonder if Beth knows the truth about why her cousin left home at eight or if she's basing her warn off to Kevin about Zoe's actions subsequent to escaping her father.

Would a record exec invite an aspiring singer from Pittsburgh all the way out to LA to listen to a demo tape just to tell her she's Pittsburgh good? Seems a waste of everyone's time if they're not serious about moving her forward.

I didn't see the point of Jack meeting with his dead soldier's parents. I can't see how hearing the gory details of their son's final moments would do anything to ease their pain, and it seemed rather presumptive of Jack to foist his own guilt on them. What was that line in MASH? Rule Number One of war is young men die.

I did find Jack crying as Rebecca sang touching.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Would a record exec invite an aspiring singer from Pittsburgh all the way out to LA to listen to a demo tape just to tell her she's Pittsburgh good? Seems a waste of everyone's time if they're not serious about moving her forward.
Not sure she was exactly invited out - she knew her demo was in the pipeline, and she took a shot. I'm guessing that lots of people back then (and maybe even today) are told 'stop in and see us if you are in town' and decide to make the trip to see if their dream will work. Plus, if she'd stayed in CA and gotten herself some gigs, they did say they would come out and listen to her - so if she had gotten better, she might have eventually landed a deal.

Separate issue - how likely is it that Jack was a sergeant, much less a staff sergeant (which I just looked up is the first step up from regular)? He enlisted after Nick was already in Nam (and in trouble?), so I'm guessing 'not very'?

He is older and a volunteer, and seems to generally have his shit together, so I can see a wartime army moving him along quickly, but corporal or maybe plain sergeant seems more likely?

And I'm not upset if it is basically impossible, just curious - I'm generally 97.5% behind "needs of the plot over realism" (hell, I watched Scorpion even though what passed for science there even a bright 14 year old should be able to see through).

Last edited by Folacin; 11-18-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:26 PM

11/20 Six Thanksgivings

I loved Miguel standing up for Becca. His son was WAY out of line.

Beth is a goddess, but she needs to dial it back. She's never been in charge of a campaign so maybe (just maybe!) Jeon knows a thing or two that she doesn't. Although it seems like she knows that Randall did give her this job out of pity, so she's moving on.

Yay on Kate for not missing a beat when Tess wondered if she may be longing for a kiss from a girl rather than a boy. Toby is way too cute for words. Cracker Barrel to the rescue!

I did miss seeing the crackers and hot dogs from the Pilgrim Rick days. They made a big deal of it being part of their tradition.

It made me sad to realize the Thanksgiving with the teenage Pearsons was Jack's last Thanksgiving. Did anyone catch the look on Becca's face with she realized Miguel brought a pie, in addition to the four or five she'd already baked?

Last edited by ivylass; 11-21-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:33 PM

Toby seemed to have done a lot in the few minutes that Kate was in Tess's room. Destroy the dinner AND get a bunch of take out?

Miguel's kids seemed unnaturally mad, and blaming Kate for "stealing" their dad when they didn't even get together until way after Miguel got divorced in the first place seemed strange to me.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:21 PM

Miguel's family was garbage. I like the show, but it would be more interesting if the villains weren't so cartoony. Show us that Miguel was a shitty father. Or that his ex lied (but please don't do that because evil ex wife trope hurts some of us real ex wives in real life). Show us complexity and confusion. Show us them being dicks as sulky teens, not grown ass people my age FOR NO REASON APPARENT TO US VIEWERS.

I did, however, really like how the daughter-in-law physically reached out to Mandy Moore and held her hand during the blow up. That was a very nice touch. I liked her.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:41 PM

The daughter grabbed Miguel's hand at the end of the rant. There is just a lot of hate from the kids to Miguel that doesn't seem justified. That annoys me.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:36 PM

Miguel was a Cat's in the Cradle dad. Depending on how old his kids were at the time of the divorce, it may have been too late to rebuild.

The son is older than the big 3 (lifeguard Adonis in Kate's story), and the daughter is the same age or maybe a year older (sleep over with Kate).

So, depending on how much older, it's possible he was pissed enough at Miguel by the time of the divorce that he just didn't want to reconcile, with potentially a bit of 'mom poison' thrown in. The daughter did the hand holding thing, which lines up with her at least appreciating him making the attempt post-divorce, even if it was a day late and a dollar short.

But the son is an ass - at ~40, it's time to let it go (and Becca hardly 'stole' his dad 10 years after the divorce after mom was already remarried).
Old 11-28-2018, 07:43 PM

11/27 Fall Finale

Toby and Kate are having a boy. Why is Kate going to a community college to finish up a four year degree?

So Uncle Nick isn't dead. Did he go AWOL and hide from Jack all these years?

Becca has secrets. Huh.

I think Beth was a little out of line. The poll was taken BEFORE the debate, where Randall performed well. It's not the presidential primary, it's a two candidate city council seat. Randall should see it to the bitter end. It seems hinted at the end that Randall and Beth may have divorced?
Old 11-28-2018, 08:24 PM

Well, Randall shouldn't have promised his wife that he would drop out if she wasn't on board anymore.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Well, Randall shouldn't have promised his wife that he would drop out if she wasn't on board anymore.
I think this points a bit to Randall's cluelessness. He's so idealistic and he wants to fix everything. He wants to make everyone happy, even if that means making unrealistic promises. He wanted Beth to be a part of the campaign to make her feel included, even though she was way out of her depth and realized it pretty quickly. I did think how they handled Tess was lovely.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Toby and Kate are having a boy. Why is Kate going to a community college to finish up a four year degree?
Depends on what she was missing - it is possible (if unlikely) that she was missing some basic courses that the CC offers. I know that I saved at least one easy course for my last year just to make the overall load easier. Although there would be a question of if her 4-year school would let them transfer in after all these years, but it's TV and one needs to let things go.

Quote:
So Uncle Nick isn't dead. Did he go AWOL and hide from Jack all these years?
I can't decide what would be odder - that Jack knew he was alive but let everyone think he was dead (possibly by Nick's request) or that somehow Nick fooled him. I originally was thinking that a remark from Jack's dad said that he was dead, but now I wonder if it was more along the lines of "you didn't bring him home" and I read "he died" into that (as the writers obviously wanted).

Quote:
Becca has secrets. Huh.
We've covered Becca's main secret, that Randall's birth father was alive. She may have others, of course.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Quote:
Depends on what she was missing - it is possible (if unlikely) that she was missing some basic courses that the CC offers. I know that I saved at least one easy course for my last year just to make the overall load easier. Although there would be a question of if her 4-year school would let them transfer in after all these years, but it's TV and one needs to let things go.
Also, based on what I remember from a previous thread and this Wikipedia article, some community colleges offer bachelor's degrees.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post

We've covered Becca's main secret, that Randall's birth father was alive. She may have others, of course.
You're right, that caught up to me later. The big Thanksgiving reveal when they're all around the table.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Apologies for resurrecting a slightly stale thread, but I am here to complain that the season finale obviously didn't feel like a season finale to me, since I keep going back to it on Hulu to watch another episode and realizing AGAIN that I already watched the season finale. I just did the same thing here - I came to this thread to catch up on the discussion and realized AGAIN that I'd already done that.

Maybe I'll get brain pills for Christmas.