Old 11-21-2018, 10:53 AM

This was a really good episode in a really good season.

If Supergirl told the DEO to stuff it, it would just prove all the people that hate and fear her and Superman right. The whole point of the characters is they could do whatever they wanted but they choose to do good and help. That said I am sure they will figure out a way to do whatever it is they want to do in the end (like how they investigated the MAGA people in this episode even when ordered not to).
Old 11-25-2018, 06:04 PM

S04E07: Rather the Fallen Angel

Rather the Fallen Angel promo: https://youtu.be/9nnIYmpxcE4

CHAD LOWE DIRECTS - James falls in deeper with the Children of Liberty in his efforts to meet Agent Liberty. Meanwhile, Supergirl and Manchester Black (guest star David Ajala) follow a lead on Agent Liberty's location, but things take a dark turn. Lena kicks off her first set of trials.

Chad Lowe is the brother of Rob Lowe. He played the cult leader last season. Looking him up on IMDB, I see that he also directed an episode last year, one in which he didn't appear as an actor.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:53 AM

Lena is going to create Doomsday, isn't she? Because that's how you create Doomsday. I wouldn't put it past Lena's devious mind to draw out the subject and make him want to take the treatment. Lets her fool her conscience into thinking she did a good thing.

After hammering us over the head with the politics in the first few episodes, I'm glad the writers have seen fit to just show us how things play out. The Kara vs Manchester vs James vs Children of Liberty interactions were pretty well done. Poor J'onn is going to be hurting the next few episodes, isn't he?

Missing from the episode was the colonel lady, which is fine by me. I've decided I don't particularly like that DEO storyline. Also missing was Nia Nal; Brainy was mostly missing. That's not so fine. I want to see what the Dreamer is going to do next, and Brainy brings some much-needed comic relief.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:02 PM

So did we know Lena was adopted by the Luthers, because if so I completely forgot.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
So did we know Lena was adopted by the Luthers, because if so I completely forgot.
Middle of season 2, in a flashback, Lionel Luthor brings in young Lena and introduces her to Lillian and young Lex. "Lex, meet your sister from another mother that I just adopted."

ETA: S02E12 "Luthors"

Last edited by Terminus Est; 11-27-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added episode name
Old 11-28-2018, 11:19 AM

Ah thanks. And my typo in their name that I just noticed brings me great shame...
Old 12-02-2018, 07:22 AM

S04E08: Bunker Hill

Bunker Hill promo: https://youtu.be/AQrGnB2Vk8c

KEVIN SMITH DIRECTS; NIA BEGINS TO EMBRACE HER POWERS - Nia has a powerful dream about Agent Liberty but refuses to look at it as a prophetic dream and pushes it aside. After noticing something is bothering Nia, Kara enlists Brainy's help, and the two try to persuade Nia to embrace her destiny. Meanwhile, Manchester Black (guest star David Ajala) pays Ben Lockwood a menacing visit.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:38 AM

nm

Last edited by Alessan; 12-02-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 AM

I really like it when they show Kara casually using her powers in a civilian setting. Like when Nia dropped all of her coffee cups and Kara caught them all, Barry Allen style. Very effective and extremely easy (and cheap!) to stage. Just drop out of frame and pick up and already-prepared pack of coffee cups. Kudos to the director. (Who is this Kevin Smith guy, anyway?)

Nia Nal starts to come into her own this episode. That precognition is extremely handy. Just ask the Jedi. It's also made clear that Brainy knows her descendant, Nura Nal, from the Legion, and he knows a helluva lot more about future events than he's letting on.

I initially thought President Sheridan (What is his name?) was going to be the show's surrogate for Trump, what with being concerned for his poll numbers and all. But at the end he turned out to be something far more frightening. He's actually halfway competent at what he does, asking Supergirl to reveal her secret identity. Of course, Supergirl could just claim that she doesn't have a secret identity and just chills out at the Fortress of Solitude in her spare time. I mean, she doesn't wear a mask. She can't possibly have anything to hide.

This is effectively the mid-season finale, before the show goes on hiatus, since next week is the Elseworlds three-way crossover between The Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl. Remember, Supergirl and The Flash technically switch broadcast days, though you'll really want to watch all three shows. In case you haven't seen it yet, I've started a separate thread for the crossover here.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:20 PM

A good mid season finale. I am really not sure how the show gets out of this. There doesn't seem to be a way to reset everything back without it seeming cheap.

And yeah, it look like the new Prez is an asshole but not sure if he is just a weasel or actually evil.

Last edited by Quimby; 12-04-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
A good mid season finale. I am really not sure how the show gets out of this. There doesn't seem to be a way to reset everything back without it seeming cheap.
Well, what do you figure would happen right here in the real world?

Because I figure another country would say, oh, hey, Supergirl: if America is now giving you a hard time, feel free to come live here; swap ‘hassles’ for ‘parades’. What’s that? Yeah, we’re also cool with experienced alien laborers who sure know how to work with Nth Metal; and if a Naltorian who can see the future wants to let us in on stuff every so often, we’d show lots of appreciation. See, we don’t have a Professor Ben Lockwood, and we’re not out to hire one; our schools crave folks who can teach our eager students about inventions from beyond the stars.

And I figure America would react accordingly, and right quick.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Well, what do you figure would happen right here in the real world?

Because I figure another country would say, oh, hey, Supergirl: if America is now giving you a hard time, feel free to come live here; swap ‘hassles’ for ‘parades’. What’s that? Yeah, we’re also cool with experienced alien laborers who sure know how to work with Nth Metal; and if a Naltorian who can see the future wants to let us in on stuff every so often, we’d show lots of appreciation. See, we don’t have a Professor Ben Lockwood, and we’re not out to hire one; our schools crave folks who can teach our eager students about inventions from beyond the stars.

And I figure America would react accordingly, and right quick.
You'd think Canada would have an alien immigration program and would welcome Supergirl and her ilk.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
You'd think Canada would have an alien immigration program and would welcome Supergirl and her ilk.
It’s almost like you can picture them smiling as they do their thing in Vancouver.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Thoughts while catching up on the past two episodes so that I can watch the crossover-

* James is an idiot
* I don't believe that this person doesn't recognize Lena Luthor, given her international prominence as owner of...well... everything.
* Setting up a human trial like that (exactly one subject, deeply flawed selection process, lack of informed consent) is not just illegal and unethical, it's also bad science.
* I'm 30% certain I've been to the place where they filmed "Shelley Island"
* James is a huge idiot. "It's ok for me to record a video that will directly threaten thousands of lives, because my friends know who I am." Yeah - he's complacent with a mass murdering mob. That's who he is.
* I missed how Manchester Black figured out that Lockwood was the guy. I'm not sure I care.
* "Respectfully, you are not leadership material." is an awesome line.
* I can't tell if I really like the character Manchester Black or if I really like the actor and think he should have his own show.
* Sam Witwer opening the closet looks exactly like he did right before he would turn into a vampire on "Being Human."
* Interrupting someone telepathically without checking on their current situation seems irresponsible. In this case, J'onn just incapacitated someone in the middle of a fight where the other person was a killer holding a deadly weapon. But he could have been saving a drowning victim in the middle of the ocean - and now both are dead because he couldn't take the time to make sure it was safe to crash into someone's mind.
* "The Intolerant Left" is also a good line
* Is Supergirl really a government employee? Are they paying her a salary? Is she, G-14? Does she get 2 weeks vacation? And so - is it really that big of a deal that she doesn't work for the DEO when she never really did? She just cooperated with them closely.
* James is still an idiot.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:32 AM

I'm finally caught up.

I enjoyed the midseason finale quite a bit.

Brainy is awesome (finally figured out who his voice reminds me of - the Simpsons' Comic Book Guy).

Supergirl lifting the whole warehouse was great; it's nice to see her doing something that awesome.

Agree that the Martian Manhunter ought to be more careful about distracting people. Fortunately, Manchester wasn't driving at the time.

I figured that Supergirl wasn't an employee of the DEO, just a highly competent unpaid volunteer. The President can still decide that her services aren't necessary (and it's not completely unreasonable to decide that the DEO shouldn't be working with her), but firing her is silly (how would Supergirl cash her paychecks?).
Old 01-20-2019, 09:16 AM

S04E10: Suspicious Minds

The Girl of Steel returns tonight!

Suspicious Minds promo: https://youtu.be/jDt_rAEsuCM
Extended promo: https://youtu.be/82bVNNpJ7Oc

COLONEL HALEY IS DETERMINED TO FIND OUT SUPERGIRL'S IDENTITY - Colonel Haley is upset after Supergirl responds to a distress call from a Navy ship that turned out to be a deadly alien attack. Colonel Haley reclaims the site as DEO territory and demands that Supergirl step aside. After Supergirl refuses to be told what to do, Haley refocuses her energy on finding out Supergirl's true identity and begins to interrogate all DEO agents, including Alex. Meanwhile, Brainiac-5 tries to persuade Nia to embrace her superpowers but she misinterprets his motives.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 PM

I would have sworn that a helluva lot more people at the D.E.O. were aware of Supergirl's secret identity than the seven they showed in this episode. They used to be quite free about bandying about Kara's identity at HQ. I guess the agents in question have either left the D.E.O. (J'onn, Winn) or been killed.

I'm happy to see J'onn setting himself up as a PI, returning to his roots as the Martian Manhunter. But apparently he stole some no doubt classified material from the D.E.O. Fortunately Col Haley is distracted by her witch hunt, but sooner or later she's bound to notice the missing files.

If Alex and Kara weren't so morally upstanding, a solution to their Col Haley problem easily presented itself. Just let the colonel be killed by the moray (morae?); they've killed the other two members of her former team, after all. At least we got the immensely satisfying scene of Alex slugging Haley out cold, at the height of the latter's self-righteous monologue.

Brainiac-5's social awkwardness would be annoying if it weren't so hilarious. Are Nia and Brainy ever going to get together?

I feel like I should say something about Lena and Jimmy. It's something, I guess. I predict that Lena is going to give her super-serum to Jimmy.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
If Alex and Kara weren't so morally upstanding, a solution to their Col Haley problem easily presented itself. Just let the colonel be killed by the moray (morae?); they've killed the other two members of her former team, after all. At least we got the immensely satisfying scene of Alex slugging Haley out cold, at the height of the latter's self-righteous monologue.

Brainiac-5's social awkwardness would be annoying if it weren't so hilarious. Are Nia and Brainy ever going to get together?

I feel like I should say something about Lena and Jimmy. It's something, I guess. I predict that Lena is going to give her super-serum to Jimmy.
As soon as Haley found out the identity of Supergirl, I was sure she would die at the hands of the Morae.

Generally when Jimmy Olsen gets powers, hilarity ensues - super-beard-growth, extra arms, etc. Expect a reference to this historical fact...

More Brainy please (also enjoyed his disbelief that Kara could be Supergirl, while he temporarily forgot that fact).
Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 PM

I thought I'd missed an episode somewhere, but looking back, I've watched them all. So ...

In the "Previously, on Supergirl" section, we saw Nia telling someone she's from another planet. When did that happen?

Did we have any clue that J'onn was going to become a PI before we saw him [literally] hanging out his shingle?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
I thought I'd missed an episode somewhere, but looking back, I've watched them all. So ...

In the "Previously, on Supergirl" section, we saw Nia telling someone she's from another planet. When did that happen?
In "Bunker Hill" the episode before the crossover https://www.avclub.com/supergirl-win...c-o-1830806074

"After weeks of barely teasing Nia’s sleep issues, this episode suddenly goes all-in on revealing she’s an alien from the planet Naltor who has a genetic predisposition to dream premonitions of the future. (Brainy also has some kind of connection to her in the 31st century and at one point calls her Nura.)"

Last edited by Andy L; 01-21-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:02 AM

S04E11: Blood Memory

Blood Memory promo: https://youtu.be/pOaaio2ZK4s

KATE BURTON GUEST STARS; NIA AND KARA VISIT NIA'S HOMETOWN - Kara joins Nia on a trip to Nia's hometown to visit her family during the town's annual Harvest Festival. While home, Nia's mother (guest star Kate Burton) encourages her daughter to embrace her destiny. Meanwhile, Alex deals with a street drug that is turning people violent and giving them temporary superpowers.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:41 AM

About time they started tying in the Red Daughter storyline. Like Supergirl, certain aspects of her power can spread to humans through electricity a la Livewire (RIP). I take it there are very few, if any, meta-humans in universe as the D.E.O. seems quite surprised by humans having superpowers.

They also tied in almost all the other plotlines - Red Daughter, sisterhood, keeping secrets, human-alien relationships, the Children of Liberty. On the last point, they also managed to tie in the question of Nia's transgenderism. If the dreamer power only manifests in women then it's clear that Nia is a woman, no matter what genitalia she was born with.

The only thing that didn't tie in was the Jimmy-Lena storyline. Now why is Jimmy covering up for Lena, with whom he is in a relationship as well being his boss? Talk about giant conflict of interest. I guess they don't teach journalistic ethics in photography school.

I thought Alex sending Brainy in to get information out of the dudebros was another manifestation of her problem, but it was actually effective. Now without her being able to connect Kara and Supergirl, is she going to start to sympathize with Ben Lockwood? She was spouting some rhetoric quite reminiscent of Agent Liberty.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I thought Alex sending Brainy in to get information out of the dudebros was another manifestation of her problem
Seriously. Especially after 'how's your acting?' Like...you've seen him trying to pass as a human, Alex. You know his acting is terrible. Guess the dudebros were assuming this was a 'nerd trying to look cool' performance, not a 'the Man trying to trick us' performance. (When, in actual fact, it was both!)

The part with Nia and her family was painful...in a 'this is well-written, and brings up uncomfortable feelings' way. I wonder whether Maeve will pursue other routes to power, the way Mysa (Nura's sister) did in the comics...though, since, aside from Mxyzptlk, we haven't seen anything resembling magic in this universe, so it'll presumably be through Lena's Everyman project. (Well, the Dreamer power itself seems to be somewhat mystical in nature, given the 'always one in every generation' aspect, and its responding to Nia's gender not her genes. But still...)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 AM

This episode was a clunker. The Nia story was boring. The idea that there was a town that always knew about and was friendly with aliens completes the change as to how aliens were presented on this show. They went from mysterious things no one knew about to a minority everyone knows about. Buffy did the same thing with Demons and it was annoying then too.

It seems pretty obvious they are setting up Alex joining the bad guys and Kara having to reveal her identity to have her real sister back.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:06 AM

Geez- Alex lost her memory to protect Supergirl's identity and the next thing you know, Kara lets another one in on the secret. Why did so many know in the first place?

A WTF moment- why did radiation from across the globe happen to zap that bunch of pills?
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
A WTF moment- why did radiation from across the globe happen to zap that bunch of pills?
That radiation probably randomly zapped a bunch of stuff around the world. We only saw what happened with the rage pills because they were conveniently located near National City.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:12 AM

S04E12: Menagerie

The Girl of Steel finally comes back tonight, which is good since all the other Arrowverse shows are on hiatus again (or still on hiatus in the case of Legends).

Menagerie promo: https://youtu.be/TqYyrYa8GQQ

DC COMICS VILLAIN MENAGERIE APPEARS - With his P.I. shingle newly hung outside his office, J'onn welcomes new clients. Trying to take her mind off what happened at the DEO, Kara decides to team up with J'onn on his latest assignment, which unfortunately ends up tying directly into Alex's current investigation that involves the villain Menagerie (guest star Jessica Meraz). Meanwhile, Lena shares some news with James, but his reaction isn't what she expected. Nia invites Brainy to her Valentine's Day party.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:06 AM

Jimmy got dumped on Valentine's Day. Not even Lena has a use for him anymore. What's his function on the show now? Maybe he should go back to Metropolis.

After building up the "date", Brainy never interacted with Nia at the party. His sole purpose there it seems was as a convenient way for Alex to get some blood work done.

Good to see Nia go out into the field again. I'm not a fan of her suit though. Why do they all have to wear form-fitting costumes? The Jedi wear loose flowing robes. Couldn't she be in Jedi robes? Seems more fitting for someone who uses precognition in battle.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:

After building up the "date", Brainy never interacted with Nia at the party. His sole purpose there it seems was as a convenient way for Alex to get some blood work done.
I think Brainy misunderstood - "It's a date" wasn't meant literally. Brainy continues to be delightful, though.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I think Brainy misunderstood - "It's a date" wasn't meant literally. Brainy continues to be delightful, though.
The scene was set up by Brainy proclaiming, "It wasn't a date." It ended with Nia saying, "It's a date." Certain expectations were made that were unfulfilled. It's like the writers have never seen a rom-com.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Good to see Nia go out into the field again. I'm not a fan of her suit though. Why do they all have to wear form-fitting costumes? The Jedi wear loose flowing robes. Couldn't she be in Jedi robes? Seems more fitting for someone who uses precognition in battle.
I know the Jedi and Shaolin love their flowing robes, but it seems like they'd be a pain to fight in. Of course, your form-fitting costume seems like it would restrict motion, but maybe that can be designed around.

Quote:
The scene was set up by Brainy proclaiming, "It wasn't a date." It ended with Nia saying, "It's a date." Certain expectations were made that were unfulfilled. It's like the writers have never seen a rom-com.
I got the impression Brainy wanted it to be a date, but couldn't get away from the roommate, so ended up hiding in the closet and hence couldn't spend time with Nia. Note that he also lost control of the heart shaped box at the end.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 AM

WTF? The show has just come back from its second hiatus and they're taking another break for the Oscars. The show comes back on March 3. This Sunday schedule is not serving them very well.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:16 AM

James doesn't know how lucky he is to get rid of Lena. Once a Luthor, always a Luthor.

WTF with releasing Liberty dude? It's like "hey, some racist pricks killed a dangerous alien, therefore racist pricks should all go free?"

If Supergirl instantly recognized Nia in her costume, what good is the costume? And really, a pantsuit? Waste of a good set of legs.

Brainy is cool enough to get his own show.