Old 01-03-2019, 09:54 AM

The Masked Singer Thread

I hate this show so much and I hate it precisely because it's stupid and I'm going to watch every episode and pour over the clues to figure out who these people are. I don't so much as hate the show as I hate myself for loving it.

The Peacock has got to be Donny Osmond right? Given that performing is in his DNA (his whole family) and the vegas-style intro?

Monster is bugging me too, I'm thinking MC Hammer. Mix tape means 80s/90s, having the industry "turn on him" and him wanting to come back speaks to his one-hit wonder ability. His little intro video thing also had a boombox which I want to say was in his "U Can't Touch This" video?

Deer = Terry Bradshaw...the easiest of the bunch

Unicorn: I think the internet is saying Tori Spelling, but maybe Lauren Conrad from Laguna Beach? It's a rich neighborhood and I think she tried a music career once.

Lion: A Kardashian?

Let the wild speculation begin....
Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I agree, stupidest show ever.

We thought Deer was Peyton Manning and Unicorn was Paris Hilton.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I hate myself for watching too, and of course I'll be watching again. My almost-certainly-wrong speculation:

Peacock: going by the voice alone, my first instinct was David Hasselhoff.

Monster: again by the voice, for all the world he sounded to me like Kenan Thompson, which is almost certainly wrong.

Deer: I feel pretty confident in this one. Tim Tebow. He was a Bronco. He's the right height. And Tebow has done stuff like this before (Lip Sync Battle).

Unicorn: I agree, Tori Spelling.

Lion: No clue. Gonna have to see it again and think some more.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
I hate myself for watching too, and of course I'll be watching again. My almost-certainly-wrong speculation:

Peacock: going by the voice alone, my first instinct was David Hasselhoff.

Monster: again by the voice, for all the world he sounded to me like Kenan Thompson, which is almost certainly wrong.

Deer: I feel pretty confident in this one. Tim Tebow. He was a Bronco. He's the right height. And Tebow has done stuff like this before (Lip Sync Battle).

Unicorn: I agree, Tori Spelling.

Lion: No clue. Gonna have to see it again and think some more.
Shit I never thought about Tebow. Which hand did he hold the mic in? As a lefty he would naturally hold it in his right hand. Still thinking it's TB because it sounded like the drawl he talks with and he'd definitely do something silly like this. The "I like horses" is because he raises horses and has for years
Old 01-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Listening to his singing voice, I thought the Monster (5'11") was Terence Trent D'Arby (6'2"), but the height is off. I missed the Monster's spoken-word intro ... I may assume that no British accent was apparent?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

The worst thing is, I don't know dick about celebrities and likely couldn't even identify them without the masks.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:40 PM

I'm watching this now due to this thread. Did nobody else notice the rainbow print on the unicorn who kept talking about overcoming adversity etc.? It has to be someone who was born to a famous family who came out later.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:08 PM

I also hate that I may have to watch more episodes of this awful show.

The deer... from the west and loves horses and other football references... Denver Broncos. Something about Falcons... Denver played the Falcons in Super Bowl XXXIII, and Denver won. Asked about the NFL he said he would have to "take a pass" on that. John Elway was the QB who threw an 80 yard pass to Rod Smith. Elway is much better known than Rod Smith but I would say it is one of the two.

Then again, Manning had a horrible showing against them on Monday night football, throwing 3 interceptions in the first quarter. I retract my vote.

Last edited by Spud; 01-03-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:39 PM

So is this show really bad? Cause I don't want to watch a really bad show, you know, unless for some reason I'm compelled to.

Uh, so what network has this? Is it Fox? Do I get points if it is actually Fox?

Do points count? How are we scoring this show?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
I'm watching this now due to this thread. Did nobody else notice the rainbow print on the unicorn who kept talking about overcoming adversity etc.? It has to be someone who was born to a famous family who came out later.
Was thinking the same, and her intro song was "Born This Way" from Lady GaGa....I think the intro songs are clues too.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:37 AM

I think the Peacock is David Copperfield (magic, Vegas, friends with Michael Jackson, etc.). I don't remember ever hearing anything about him being able to sing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

For Monster I'm thinking Eminem (who even did a song with that name...).

Those are the only two I was able to have any opinion about.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I also hate that I may have to watch more episodes of this awful show.

The deer... from the west and loves horses and other football references... Denver Broncos. Something about Falcons... Denver played the Falcons in Super Bowl XXXIII, and Denver won. Asked about the NFL he said he would have to "take a pass" on that. John Elway was the QB who threw an 80 yard pass to Rod Smith. Elway is much better known than Rod Smith but I would say it is one of the two.

Then again, Manning had a horrible showing against them on Monday night football, throwing 3 interceptions in the first quarter. I retract my vote.
Was it falcons that were mentioned? I thought it was ravens, and the Steelers and Ravens are in the same division. I still ride for TB, but having TWO Steeler players makes me wonder now...

Quote:
I noticed that too! Who is from a famous family and came out and had it be controversial nowadays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
So is this show really bad? Cause I don't want to watch a really bad show, you know, unless for some reason I'm compelled to.

Uh, so what network has this? Is it Fox? Do I get points if it is actually Fox?

Do points count? How are we scoring this show?
If we're being totally honest, the show itself isn't bad, it's just stupid. The judges' comments are eyeroll inducing, the audience reaction shots are as trite and predictable as possible and just the overall presentation of the show is just plain stupid. But, on the other hand, there are clues as to who each singer is and I love me a good puzzle/escape room....so I'm hooked. I feel that's the real draw of the show, how smart are you at picking up subtle hints. Also, when a person IS revealed, the show does explain all the clues...so that helps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I think the Peacock is David Copperfield (magic, Vegas, friends with Michael Jackson, etc.). I don't remember ever hearing anything about him being able to sing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

For Monster I'm thinking Eminem (who even did a song with that name...).

Those are the only two I was able to have any opinion about.
No way is the monster Eminem. The industry has never turned on him and he never "went away" or "hid" or whatever. I think the Peacock being Copperfield is almost TOO obvious. Did anyone notice when he did some magic thing a bulldog appeared? Is he associated with bulldogs or dogs at all? Is Donny Osmond (my guess)?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:12 AM

*SIGH*

Leave it to American TV to mess up a great concept again. The original Korean show showcases singers (usually from groups), singing in genres and showing talents different from what they're known for. The singers often say that they've never sung solo on stage and are glad to be able to show a different side of themselves.

There are a few celebrities not known for being able to sing, but they're a novelty rather than the focus of the show and rarely make it past the first round.

Edit: I haven't watched the American show and never will, but based on what I've read above, there's no "clues" in the costumes or Q&A section of the in the Korean version. While the costumes are colorful, the focus is on their singing ability with a segment where they show a variety show talent or do short dance.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-04-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Also, the celebrity panel is a mix of young (usually KPop stars) and old, with the older celebrities often having no idea who the younger singers are, even when they're revealed, meaning their comments and votes are based solely on how the contestants perform.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-04-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
No way is the monster Eminem. The industry has never turned on him and he never "went away" or "hid" or whatever.
You and your good points... *grumble*

Quote:
I think the Peacock being Copperfield is almost TOO obvious. Did anyone notice when he did some magic thing a bulldog appeared? Is he associated with bulldogs or dogs at all? Is Donny Osmond (my guess)?
I can't find any obvious Copperfield/bulldog connection, but Marie Osmond has a pet bulldog. Does Donny have any connection with magic, though?

I still think Copperfield, but could also be David Blaine (who was also friends with MJ)...no obvious bulldog connection there, either, though.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM

Wasn’t the Peacock 5’5”? Copperfield is six feet tall?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Wasn’t the Peacock 5’5”? Copperfield is six feet tall?
I just re-watched the Peacock's bit: he's 5'9, but that's a good point! David Blaine is also 6'. Other clues:
  • Weakness: Craves Attention
  • Described as "colorful."
  • Says he loves the spotlight; walked onto a stage for the first time at 5 years old and was hooked; it's been a while since your mom had his poster on her wall; good friends with Michael Jackson
  • Calls himself a showman, says it's not too late for a comeback.
  • Visual clues include a piano (white, a little beat up), a deck of cards (but not necessarily magic), and a shot of him petting a small plastic/fake dog (not a bulldog).
So, magic isn't necessarily a thing but there's definitely something with cards. The "your mom had my poster" bit had me thinking of someone like David Cassidy (the height is right), but at the start of the Peacock's song his voice is pretty deep and I don't remember Cassidy having that kind of low end...it just doesn't quite sound like him (though of course it's possible that his voice has changed some in the past 40 years!).
Old 01-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
The "your mom had my poster" bit had me thinking of someone like David Cassidy (the height is right), but at the start of the Peacock's song his voice is pretty deep and I don't remember Cassidy having that kind of low end...it just doesn't quite sound like him (though of course it's possible that his voice has changed some in the past 40 years!).
Also, David Cassidy died in 2017.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
  • Described as "colorful."

So, magic isn't necessarily a thing but there's definitely something with cards. The "your mom had my poster" bit had me thinking of someone like David Cassidy (the height is right), but at the start of the Peacock's song his voice is pretty deep and I don't remember Cassidy having that kind of low end...it just doesn't quite sound like him (though of course it's possible that his voice has changed some in the past 40 years!).
David Cassidy and Donnie Osmond (both 5'9") both played Joseph in touring productions of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Osmond also did a direct-to-video film version of Dreamcoat in the 1990s. Hmmm.

EDIT: Gah -- missed that Cassidy shuffled off the mortal coil already.

EDIT 2: Maybe the Peacock's playing cards weren't a nod to magic, but to Donny & Marie's 11-year run on the Vegas Strip.

Last edited by bordelond; 01-04-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:37 PM

Yeah ... the Peacock's definitely Donnie Osmond:

Quote:
In 1963, Donny Osmond made his debut on [The Andy Williams Show] at the age of five singing "You Are My Sunshine".
Old 01-04-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Also, David Cassidy died in 2017.
Ok, clearly I need to just stop trying to guess this stuff.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:34 PM

Could someone explain the concept to me please, as I'll never watch the show.

How is the loser determined? Is it after the head to head or do they go on to a second solo round before elimination? I think this is how the original version worked, but in the episodes I watched last year, the loser of the head to head battle would immediately sing a solo song and reveal themselves midway through, then finish their song.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:09 PM

I haven't even watched the show, but I saw a clip, and I'm convinced that the lion is EJ Johnson.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
. . .
The "your mom had my poster" bit had me thinking of someone like David Cassidy (the height is right), but at the start of the Peacock's song his voice is pretty deep and I don't remember Cassidy having that kind of low end...it just doesn't quite sound like him (though of course it's possible that his voice has changed some in the past 40 years!).
No, but it could be Shaun Cassidy. He's a good bit taller than David was, I think.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
No, but it could be Shaun Cassidy. He's a good bit taller than David was, I think.
And wasn't his breakthrough hit "Do You Believe in Magic?"
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 PM

Am I the only one who strongly suspects the "performances" are mimed? I'd say lip synced, but you can't see their mouths. They all sounded horribly over produced.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Could someone explain the concept to me please, as I'll never watch the show.
Why do you care?

Seriously: if you're never going to watch the show and you (somehow) already know it's "messed up" compared to the Korean version, why are you even in this thread?

Quote:
The Internet says Shaun Cassidy is 5'11; David was 5'8. The Peacock is 5'9. And while Shaun did cover "Do You Believe In Magic," his first hit seems to have been "Da Doo Ron Ron." I'm now leaning toward the Donny Osmond theory on this one, even though I don't remember Osmond being much of a pin-up character back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Am I the only one who strongly suspects the "performances" are mimed? I'd say lip synced, but you can't see their mouths. They all sounded horribly over produced.
You are not alone! It's kind of weird, right??
Old 01-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hate this show so much and I hate it precisely because it's stupid and I'm going to watch every episode and pour over the clues to figure out who these people are. I don't so much as hate the show as I hate myself for loving it.

The Peacock has got to be Donny Osmond right? Given that performing is in his DNA (his whole family) and the vegas-style intro?

Monster is bugging me too, I'm thinking MC Hammer. Mix tape means 80s/90s, having the industry "turn on him" and him wanting to come back speaks to his one-hit wonder ability. His little intro video thing also had a boombox which I want to say was in his "U Can't Touch This" video?

Deer = Terry Bradshaw...the easiest of the bunch

Unicorn: I think the internet is saying Tori Spelling, but maybe Lauren Conrad from Laguna Beach? It's a rich neighborhood and I think she tried a music career once.

Lion: A Kardashian?

Let the wild speculation begin....
Pore.

"PORE over the clues."

That is all.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:57 PM

I was wondering if anyone else was watching this. It's so bad it's good. I can't stand Jennie McCarthy but I'm willing to put that aside.

Donny Osmond is a good call for the Peacock. I had Jesse Eisenberg on the brain because of the "Now You See Me" movies but yeah, I now think it's Donny Osmond. Especially the poster on the wall comment, I didn't but a couple of my friends did.

I knew the Hippo was a football player because of the way he danced but I could've guessed all day and not come up with who it was. Not naming names in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Terry Bradshaw as the Deer? Could be, but would they have two football players? I kind of liked the judges opinion that he's a wrestler or MMA fighter...

Tori Spelling as the Unicorn? Yeah, that makes sense too.

No clue on the other two. Guess I'll have to keep watching!
Old 01-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
David Cassidy and Donnie Osmond (both 5'9") both played Joseph in touring productions of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Osmond also did a direct-to-video film version of Dreamcoat in the 1990s. Hmmm.
The production featuring Osmond wound up in residency here in Chicago for over a year. My wife and I went to see it, and he was outstanding in the role.

Also, re: colorful -- during his days with the Osmonds, and then on Donny and Marie, he was known for wearing purple (including purple socks).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Why do you care?

Seriously: if you're never going to watch the show and you (somehow) already know it's "messed up" compared to the Korean version, why are you even in this thread?

The Internet says Shaun Cassidy is 5'11; David was 5'8. The Peacock is 5'9. And while Shaun did cover "Do You Believe In Magic," his first hit seems to have been "Da Doo Ron Ron." I'm now leaning toward the Donny Osmond theory on this one, even though I don't remember Osmond being much of a pin-up character back in the day.

You are not alone! It's kind of weird, right??
I like reading about train wrecks!

Seriously though, I'm intrigued about what American TV producers think the American public wants. The original show and the Chinese version, focus on the singing abilities of the contestants, with the contestants often wearing overly elaborate and layered clothing to disguise their age and true occupation. When they speak, their real voices are disguised and they often purposely do things that normally aren't associated with them. There are no clues as to their true identity other than what the judges discuss.

From what I've read, this American version is more "Guess who I am", rather than "Judge me on my singing and entertainment abilities". I'm genuinely curious if market research has shown that this is what the American public truly wants or it's the producers creating a concept that they think will bring in the most American viewers and profit.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-05-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
I like reading about train wrecks!

Seriously though, I'm intrigued about what American TV producers think the American public wants. The original show and the Chinese version, focus on the singing abilities of the contestants, with the contestants often wearing overly elaborate and layered clothing to disguise their age and true occupation. When they speak, their real voices are disguised and they often purposely do things that normally aren't associated with them. There are no clues as to their true identity other than what the judges discuss.

From what I've read, this American version is more "Guess who I am", rather than "Judge me on my singing and entertainment abilities". I'm genuinely curious if market research has shown that this is what the American public truly wants or it's the producers creating a concept that they think will bring in the most American viewers and profit.
I personally don't give a shit if they can sing or not, I want to see if I can guess the celebrity based on the clues. The singing voice is only there to help me guess
Old 01-05-2019, 10:30 PM

Okay, I gave in a watched a few seconds of a few clips. It's nothing like the original in any sense other than the masks and costumes.

Enjoy all!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...even though I don't remember Osmond being much of a pin-up character back in the day.
Oh, he was. Big time. He was the only (male) Osmond of any note, for a long while. Only Jimmy was second, the other brothers (much like the Jacksons) didn't factor in hardly at all, except as part of the group. Marie, of course, was Donny's equal.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
. . .
. . .
What about Leif Garrett? I don't know why Donny doesn't seem right to me, it just doesn't. I can't see him moving that way, especially the part where he acted aggressive.
But Leif, yeah; I could see him doing that.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:05 PM

While this show sounds like new dimensions in awfulness, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the concept of masked singers.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
While this show sounds like new dimensions in awfulness, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the concept of masked singers.
Ahem
Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
What about Leif Garrett? I don't know why Donny doesn't seem right to me, it just doesn't. I can't see him moving that way, especially the part where he acted aggressive.
But Leif, yeah; I could see him doing that.
That's my guess too, but my sister pointed out the dog connection- didn't Osmond have a song called puppy love?

But wiki says Leif also started performing at age 5.

Oh and I'm guessing Tori spelling for unicorn, and Rumer Well s for lion.

Last edited by raventhief; 01-06-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
That's my guess too, but my sister pointed out the dog connection- didn't Osmond have a song called puppy love?
He did -- it was a cover of a Paul Anka song. Osmond recorded it as a solo act in 1972 (when he was 15), and it made it to #3 on the U.S. chart.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-06-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:59 PM

This show is not that stupid. It's just dragged on for FAR too long. The performances, assuming they are live, are not bad, but I just watch on demand and go and do other things during the non-performance parts.

The judges are idiots. No A-list stars are going to be on this show. Probably no B-list either. The reveal last week some some football player I had never heard of. And judges are saying "Maybe it's Beyonce" Come on.

I like the performances so I'll just watch on demand. But it's not like Tom Cruise or Lady Gaga is going to be on the show or anything.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 AM

After reading this I had to watch. I suspect I will not know most of these people but I agree with Donny Osmond as Peacock and Tori Spelling as Unicorn. My guess for Lion was Solange Knowles. My cynical guess for Monster is R. Kelly but I don’t think they would go there. I just worry that with this many clues they will be too easy to get by the end.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
After reading this I had to watch. I suspect I will not know most of these people but I agree with Donny Osmond as Peacock and Tori Spelling as Unicorn. My guess for Lion was Solange Knowles. My cynical guess for Monster is R. Kelly but I don’t think they would go there. I just worry that with this many clues they will be too easy to get by the end.
I thought R. Kelly for Monster too!

I'll have to watch it again, keeping in mind some of the guesses you all have made. For some reason, Unicorn made me think "Rumer Willis". She comes from "Hollywood royalty" and I think something about getting in trouble or doing things the wrong way was one of the clues. IIRC she has sung in public / has singing aspirations. Also, I think RW is tall and leggy which Unicorn also seems to be.

I agree this show is stupid as hell but I cannot look away.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
The judges are idiots. No A-list stars are going to be on this show. Probably no B-list either. The reveal last week some some football player I had never heard of. And judges are saying "Maybe it's Beyonce" Come on.
I'll agree with you that no A-list music/movie stars are probably going to be on this, but Antonio Brown is quite literally a top-3 wide receiver in the entire league, if not the best.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I'll agree with you that no A-list music/movie stars are probably going to be on this, but Antonio Brown is quite literally a top-3 wide receiver in the entire league, if not the best.
Yeah, but Antonio Brown doesn't transcend football fandom. For those who follow the NFL ... yeah, he'd a giant name. But for those who don't, he'll be unknown.

There are a few NFL players who have become national figures (e.g. Peyton Manning), but Antonio Brown's not at that level.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Idiots, or are they being prompted by the producers to artificially increase interest among Beyonce's eight zillion fans by suggesting that they should keep watching because just maybe their most favorist singer of all time could be revealed to be on the program, instead of some nobody they've never heard of. (Yes, I am that cynical).
Old 01-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but Antonio Brown doesn't transcend football fandom. For those who follow the NFL ... yeah, he'd a giant name. But for those who don't, he'll be unknown.

There are a few NFL players who have become national figures (e.g. Peyton Manning), but Antonio Brown's not at that level.
I guess that's a good point, but The Deer IS one of those people. I still think Terry Bradshaw, but Peyton could be under there as well and both fit that bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
Idiots, or are they being prompted by the producers to artificially increase interest among Beyonce's eight zillion fans by suggesting that they should keep watching because just maybe their most favorist singer of all time could be revealed to be on the program, instead of some nobody they've never heard of. (Yes, I am that cynical).
Of course that's what they're doing, this ain't high-brow TV
Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 PM

I'd actually be more interested if they DID have A or B list singers, but had them sing songs outside of their usual genre or style. Have a well-known country singer do a pop song, have a pop diva do hard rock, etc.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
Hmmmmm....I am that cynical too, and this seems very believable.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Pore.

"PORE over the clues."

That is all.
I did not know this. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

You’re very welcome.