Old 01-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I've just discovered Battlestar Gallactica

Very late to the party, of course. I'm talking about the early 2000s series. I saw that it's considered one of the better TV series to come along and found it on Amazon included in Prime. I'm about in the middle of the three-part mini-series intro, and like it a lot. I'm hoping that the succeeding seasons are also worth watching.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I'm hoping that the succeeding seasons are also worth watching.
Opinions are mixed. I think just about any fan of the mini-series will like the first season. Many will enjoy the second season as well, though a few will fall away. Starting with the third season opinions start to diverge widely and the ending is near Lost level of polarizing.

It's a good show, regardless. Whether it is great depends on how you react to the later seasons.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 01-11-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Flame war countdown in 3....2.....

You will find opinions to be...divided on the series, and especially the ending. But enjoy the ride. It's worth taking in any case.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:47 PM

That miniseries is amazing. Don't expect it to maintain that level of momentum but I think it's still a good series.

Personally I thought the show struggled early on with a lot of poorly written filler material and didn't really get all that interesting again until the polarizing stuff Tamerlane mentioned starting in season 3, but I understand that puts me in the minority of fans.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 PM

I enjoyed the whole thing, beginning to end. It definitely couldn't keep up the same level of quality or intensity over 4 seasons, but I found it always bounced back even after a string of mediocre episodes.

You may want to search for past threads as you watch - IIRC we had multi-page threads for every single episode. (what ever happened to Cervaise?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
You will find opinions to be...divided on the series, and especially the ending. But enjoy the ride. It's worth taking in any case.
So say we all!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I'll stick with it as long as my attention doesn't wander. I'm also thinking of trying The Shield again. My wife hated the first episode, so we didn't pursue it, but my tolerance for people playing assholes is higher than hers.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
(what ever happened to Cervaise?)
I vaguely seem to recall he lost interest in message boards in general and message board drama in particular. At any rate he bowed out long ago. A pity IMHO. He's missed, especially in this forum.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:45 PM

BSG was one of the shows that really proved TV Was Good Now in the early 00s. It was the first non-HBO series I really took notice of and fell in love with. It was a helluva ride at the time. I think the first two seasons are more-or-less masterpieces with only a few weak spots. I enjoyed the show right up to the end, but I think it's a very easy argument that the third and fourth seasons were much rockier and harder to love.

BSG also now always makes me feel awkward / amused about the fact that Cally is one of the only "character crushes" I've had as an adult, and the actor's apparent involvement with a sex cult is...strange.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
BSG was one of the shows that really proved TV Was Good Now in the early 00s. It was the first non-HBO series I really took notice of and fell in love with. It was a helluva ride at the time. I think the first two seasons are more-or-less masterpieces with only a few weak spots. I enjoyed the show right up to the end, but I think it's a very easy argument that the third and fourth seasons were much rockier and harder to love.

BSG also now always makes me feel awkward / amused about the fact that Cally is one of the only "character crushes" I've had as an adult, and the actor's apparent involvement with a sex cult is...strange.
I remember the first series in '78, which wasn't bad, either. There was an article in the NYT yesterday about how both cable and network TV were influenced by The Sopranos, which showed that it was okay to root for an anti-hero, that being bad could be really good, and that it was okay to take a chance on something different. BSG was one of the network shows that was used as an example this.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I remember the first series in '78, which wasn't bad, either. There was an article in the NYT yesterday about how both cable and network TV were influenced by The Sopranos, which showed that it was okay to root for an anti-hero, that being bad could be really good, and that it was okay to take a chance on something different. BSG was one of the network shows that was used as an example this.
Yeah, I was young and kinda obsessed with pop culture back then. The Sopranos was definitely a pioneer in the idea that TV could actually be as "good" or better than a movie in looks, acting, and writing. Before that, there'd been a few attempts (Twin Peaks being the main one that comes to mind) but they were still limited by the medium. HBO broke through those limits.

At the time, I thought HBO was the only channel that would be able to do it because broadcast TV was still totally beholden to existing formats and basic cable didn't seem to have the budget or desire. BSG really surprised me, because every other SciFi original I'd seen had been much hokier or, at least, much cheaper-looking. It certainly still looked "cheaper" than a contemporary film, but it had enough style to the design that I think it looked good ENOUGH that the visuals weren't distracting and the writing and acting really elevated it past its contemporaries.

I think DVD had a big influence on this, too, because it meant that shows could be written with a more serial plot without alienating as much of the audience. The original "binge watching" was when you borrowed your friend's copies of BSG or The Wire or Deadwood so you could catch up before a new season...
Old 01-11-2019, 02:28 PM

The first couple of seasons were great. By the end of the series, the quality plummeted, and the ending was one of the most tired SF cliches outside of "it was all a dream."
Old 01-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
(what ever happened to Cervaise?)
Was he the poster who was PISSED about the ending? As in, his posts made me imagine him red-faced and twitching and spitting mad?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Very late to the party, of course. I'm talking about the early 2000s series. I saw that it's considered one of the better TV series to come along and found it on Amazon included in Prime. I'm about in the middle of the three-part mini-series intro, and like it a lot. I'm hoping that the succeeding seasons are also worth watching.
I think the miniseries, while great, is the low point. I think it was the greatest show of all time and only improved over the course of its run. Well, it started with high quality and maintained it. There are a few dips in there, I guess.

I am a full-blown fanboy, here.

Best. Show. Ever. Period. Final. No question for me.

Best final episode of all time, best music of all time. The peak of all television.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Was he the poster who was PISSED about the ending? As in, his posts made me imagine him red-faced and twitching and spitting mad?
I think so. He was going to melt down his DVD collection and pour it down Ron Moore's nose, IIRC.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:44 PM

I watched the show back when it first aired and at the time I hated the ending for reasons I don't want to relitigate in this thread but my Girlfriend and I were looking for a new show to watch and she never saw it so we started to watch again. The quality holds up but it was so heavy and dark that after about 8 episodes she wanted to take a break and switch to something else.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

It’s a great show. I loved it all except for the final season or so. Even then it was better than average. The final episode, however, was a huuuuuge disappointment.

But the journey was worth it. There was so much exploration of the human experience throughout. It was a very honest show.

I’d love to read your ongoing thoughts as you watch this.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:53 PM

My only real complaint with the show, which FTR I loved overall, was that like all sci-fi/fantasy/apocalyptic shows, they always manage to somehow mitigate the big malevolent force, and the show devolves into one located somewhere along a soap opera to political thriller axis. BSG and the Walking Dead are the two best examples I can think of, although BSG kind of pulled back somewhat in the latter third of the show.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:53 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
It’s a great show. I loved it all except for the final season or so. Even then it was better than average. The final episode, however, was a huuuuuge disappointment.

But the journey was worth it. There was so much exploration of the human experience throughout. It was a very honest show.
Completely agreed. I got the sense that, much like Lost, despite what the show creators would have had us believe, they did *not*, in fact, have a good idea ahead of time as to how to wrap up the story.

For instance, a major plot point (spoilered below):

SPOILER:
One of the biggest questions was "who are the other five Cyclon models?" My recollection is that the writers did *not* know this ahead of time, and when they finally had to do the big reveal, they sat down in a room, and sorted through which characters clearly could *not* be a Cylon, in order to arrive at their final list of five.

Even though I often found the final season to be incomprehensible, it was still a great ride.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-11-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:12 PM

I'd say...watch through the first season. At that point, stop and just imagine that it stayed at that level.

It's never cringeworthy or anything, past that point, but it gets pretty lost and bogged down in itself. Even if you're a person who sort of enjoys mindless soap opera and wrought out drama for no reason, and so you might be one of the people who enjoys the later seasons, there are probably better shows for that sort of thing.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-11-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Not quite done with the miniseries? Oh, man, that means you haven't seen 33, the first regular series episode, yet. It never reaches that level of awesome again, but holy hell, is 33 good.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I’m not ready to give up my evil toastermen and my robot monkey-dog...
Old 01-11-2019, 03:56 PM

I thought the show maintained it's quality throughout the run. Even if it wasn't as good as the heights of Season 1, the 3rd season was better than just about anything else on TV at the time . And I am one of the people who thought the ending was fantastic. People's opinions are divergent on the second half of Season 4, but I enjoyed the frack out of it.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I'd skip the last season, but watch everything up to that.

You know it's bad when you can say, with all sincerity, that they should have used time travel for the ending, because it would have been cleaner and made more sense.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I think the miniseries, while great, is the low point. I think it was the greatest show of all time and only improved over the course of its run. Well, it started with high quality and maintained it. There are a few dips in there, I guess.

I am a full-blown fanboy, here.

Best. Show. Ever. Period. Final. No question for me.

Best final episode of all time, best music of all time. The peak of all television.
Agreed. I LOVED the final ep.

The mini-series is crushing and the following ep '33' is Ron Moore's fave.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:35 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
I think so. He was going to melt down his DVD collection and pour it down Ron Moore's nose, IIRC.
I would have volunteered to hold Moore down while he did it.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:36 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Battlestar Galactica had (until Westworld) the distinction of being the only TV series I'd ever watched whose central theme is, literally, "What does it mean to be human?"

IMHO, they batted it around well. I'm very much of the "watch the whole thing, then form your own opinions" group. But what do I know? I thought the last episode of Quantum Leap was handled well.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
But what do I know? I thought the last episode of Quantum Leap was handled well.
FWIW, I loved the ending of Quantum Leap, too.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Ditto for "this is great television."

If we're keeping score, I was basically happy with the ending. And season three, while it had some excellent episodes, was a little too on the nose about current events; nothing takes me out of a world more quickly than the feeling of "oh, they wrote this just so they can talk about [this specific thing happening right now]."
Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I like the Original Series.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I loved the original series as a kid. It was all I thought about sometimes. But I find it hard to watch now because it gets so cheesy so fast.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
You have made an outstanding choice, and you should congratulate yourself for this.

I wish to share this with you now: Portlandia Battlestar Galactica sketch (about 3 mins)

Edit: dammit it's truncated. Now you have to watch Portlandia first, I'm really sorry. Portlandia is also good.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 01-11-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM

I don't like science fiction, but I loved it from beginning to end, including and especially the finale.

FWIW I like the 'Lost' finale too.

mmm
Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

I loved the entire series.

My only criticism is Starbuck. ZERO redeeming qualities.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
FWIW I like the 'Lost' finale too.
Controversial choice. I applaud and agree.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I'm sorry, what?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
If we're keeping score, I was basically happy with the ending. And season three, while it had some excellent episodes, was a little too on the nose about current events; nothing takes me out of a world more quickly than the feeling of "oh, they wrote this just so they can talk about [this specific thing happening right now]."
I mean I kind of think that's the main point of sci-fi (well, non-hard sci-fi I guess): to shine a light on what is happening at the present by altering one's frame of reference so folks can see it in a different way. I thought what BSG did in the 2000s was brilliant in that way.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I'm sorry, what?
It's been years since I've watched the show, so I can't remember the details. I just remember her being a bat shit cray horrible person. And could NOT understand that whole love triangle thing she had going on. Or what those two guys saw in her.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I loved the entire series.

Katee Sackhoff (she really should change her name) is fine in this. This is the bad-ass she should have brought to the Longmire series, instead of that lame version.

The only thing I really remember about the original BSG was my son and I walking around saying "By your command" in robot voices and giggling a lot (he was about seven years old at the time).
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, what?
Grrr is right. Judgemental as ****. More self-interested than your average Colonial.

Not that she wasn't charismatic. If she were real, I would have been just as drawn into her "damaged bad girl persona" as any other man in her life was.

Don't get me started on Roslin. God I hated Roslin.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Katee Sackhoff (she really should change her name) is fine in this. This is the bad-ass she should have brought to the Longmire series, instead of that lame version.
I liked her at the beginning too. I'll leave at that since you're just starting out.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

I got into it by watching the first episode, without having seen the miniseries. That makes it totally confusing, which makes it freakin AMAZING--without the background of the miniseries, the first episode is just chaotically deadly confusion and is enchanting.

The finale felt like an episode of drunk history to me. I did not approve.

But overall it's one of the best science fiction shows ever made. And Starbuck is a fantastic character.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 PM

I split the difference because I also liked Lost's finale but hated BSs.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, what?
I should also point out that Bear McCrerys soundtrack work is fantastic...and despite what I said earlier about Starbuck, a certain point in the finale along with her music motif had me crying like a baby
Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
If we're keeping score, I was basically happy with the ending.

I was stunned by the ending. Really. I sat there thinking "They aren't really going to do that, are they?" Then they did. Why did it stun me? Spoilered and tinyurl'ed for Chefguy's protection.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I thought the character of Roslin was written and acted perfectly spot-on. She's the secretary of Education, the lowest one on the list of ministers, and now she's president. She always led with gravitas and determination, talked even tougher when she screwed up, and was clearly out of her depth at all times. It really sold the "...OK, just how screwed are we? Urm ... very" theme well.

I didn't like the ending, and I gave my complaint (a spoiler) in another thread. No. Just no.

Last edited by Arkcon; 01-11-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post

I always kinda had the hots for Mary McDonnell.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Like the OP I just finished watching the episodes I had recorded last year from the SyFy channel marathon (I wish they would run it again). I only recorded through Season 3 Episode 4, at which point felt like a decent place in the story to stop, so I'm not hankering to see the rest.

But I'd really like to see the rest...

I was in college in the late 1970's when James Doohan was invited to give a talk. This was just before Star Trek The Movie opened. He open the floor for questions, and after the expected questions about the series, I got up and asked him which current (back then) similar shows he liked. He smiled at a "different" question and thought about it for a moment. His final answer was the (original) BSG which surprised and pleased me.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

When BSG Is being a fairly hard military sci-fi saga, it's great; when it's being a sci-fi post-apocalyptic character study, it's better than average.

And when it's being a deterministic metaphysical allegory, it's...debatable. This aspect had been hinted at throughout the series, but in a low-key and ambiguous manner.

Unfortunately, it ended the series strongly on the latter, so those (like me), who were in it for military sci-fi and post-apocalyptic human drama, found the ending less-than-spectacular.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Grrr!, love triangle? By my reckoning, it's more like an octagon with a couple of quadrilaterals and triangles tacked on, a convoluted diameter, two branched trees, and assorted loose segments. Thrace, personally, had sex with at least five, probably six, and possibly gods-only-know how many more men over the course of the series.

(possible spoilers for all seasons at that link)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 PM

I loved the series. I thought I was going to hate it, since I'm not a fan of rebooted series, and BSG the original was classic in it's rather idiotic way. But it didn't take me very long at all to be quite thoroughly hooked on the show. The fact that they pretty much were the complete opposite of the original helped.