View Poll Results: Trader Joe's or Whole Foods?
Trader Joe's - strongly prefer 61 51.69%
Trader Joe's - slightly or moderately prefer 18 15.25%
No preference 20 16.95%
Whole Foods - slightly or moderately prefer 11 9.32%
Whole Foods - strongly prefer 8 6.78%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2019, 06:39 PM

I keep hearing, here and elsewhere, how expensive Whole Foods is. I rarely pay attention to prices (much to my wife's dismay), but I know the grapes I bought were $2.99/lb. and the avocados were 89 cents each; this doesn't seem that outrageous to me.

Is it?

mmm
Old 01-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
If my regular grocery store was besieged by aliens and I needed to buy groceries, I'd go to Whole Foods.
Shouldn't we try and keep political commentary out of the Café Society?

Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I keep hearing, here and elsewhere, how expensive Whole Foods is. I rarely pay attention to prices (much to my wife's dismay), but I know the grapes I bought were $2.99/lb. and the avocados were 89 cents each; this doesn't seem that outrageous to me.

Is it?

mmm
It's not so much the produce, although it is usually a bit higher than other places, but everything else in the store.

You want a gallon of milk? You can't just get a gallon of house-brand regular milk for $2 (what I recall a bog-standard gallon of 2% costing), instead you have to get either the organic house brand for $3.50, or some branded organic sort for up to $5.

Same thing elsewhere- their house-brand stuff is more expensive than house-brands elsewhere, and their brand names are usually the most expensive, most pretentious versions available. If you want canned tomatoes, you're getting the 360 brand for about what you'd pay for Hunt's or Contadina, and if you buy a branded one, you're paying a LOT more for (usually) organic or specific cultivars. Same thing with sandwich meat- you can't just go get Oscar Mayer ham, you have to get some sort of twee brand of uncured ham that costs 30% more.

Their prices on stuff that you can directly compare, like say... beer, are comparable to everywhere else.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Of the two I prefer Trader Joe's, but Whole Foods is closer. Whole Foods is a 5 minute drive. Trader Joe's is at least 30.

And while like others I find the selection at TJ's to be limited, I also can't do 100% of my supermarket shopping at WF, either. When it comes to branded items, both stores' general ordering policy seems to be, "If you can easily buy it at another store, we probably don't sell it."
Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
It's not so much the produce, although it is usually a bit higher than other places, but everything else in the store.

You want a gallon of milk? You can't just get a gallon of house-brand regular milk for $2 (what I recall a bog-standard gallon of 2% costing), instead you have to get either the organic house brand for $3.50, or some branded organic sort for up to $5.
That's actually a really good price for organic milk ($3.50). At my regular grocery, regular milk runs about $3-$4 a gallon. I have to go to Target or Aldi to get a decent price, usually around $2.50. If I'm willing to make a thirty minute drive to Meijer in the suburbs, then I could find it for something like $1.79. I don't know of any place I could get organic milk for much under $5/gallon.

Whole Foods is definitely more expensive than your average grocery store, but some things are priced quite normally. The beer, wine, liquor section is the usual prices; the 365 branded goods are competitively priced. The bulk beans and such are priced well, too, especially given the variety (which is far more than most stores I go to have.) I usually find their produce to be overpriced, but the prices mmm mentions are reasonable. Typically, I find it at least 50% more expensive than the usual grocery I use for produce. The meat case is the spendiest part of the store for me, so I never buy any meat there, unless I want something like a dry-aged beef and I don't feel like going to a specialty butcher to get it.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 PM

Whole Foods is where I buy almost all meat and a few other things (I love their 365 no salt tortilla chips and some of their deli salads). Trader Joe's is where I buy ready to eat sandwiches and frozen stuff.
The two stores never cross over, for me.
I'm at WF weekly, TJ's maybe once every 4-5 months.
Fruits and veggies I buy at Fresh Thyme. Everything else either at Cub or Hy-Vee.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

Is it?

mmm
To the extent that WF fresh fruit is more expensive, IME it's been worth the extra price. But most of the time I just want cheap bananas, and I don't need them to be display quality. Once I accidentally picked a bunch off the hanging wall of special organicness, and was blown away to learn I'd just spent $11 on bananas.

That's another con I should have listed for TJs though. The produce there is priced as if it were top of the line, but I have been universally disappointed with it.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and that reminds me, Whole Foods around here usually has Hatch chiles for a week or so in August, and it's one of the few places I could find them around here in the city. (All the other places I could think of are a bit of a drive to the suburbs, though I've made the drive when the local Whole Foods ran out.) Last year, I believe they were priced at $1.49/lb, which I think is more than reasonable all the way out here in Chicago.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Oh, and that reminds me, Whole Foods around here usually has Hatch chiles for a week or so in August, and it's one of the few places I could find them around here in the city.
Ohh, thanks for reminding me. I roasted,vacuum bagged, and froze some Hatches last fall for some nice winter stews and tamales, except I had almost forgotten about them since winter hasn't yet shown up here in Detroit.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:19 PM

I like both, but Trader Joe's is my fave. Better prices overall. Love their chips, flowers, peanut butter pretzels (oddly, their peanut butter sucks) banana chips, roasted nuts of all varieties, pasta, bread.....

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 01-16-2019, 06:50 PM

The thing about Whole Foods is everything along the walls: produce, seafood, meat, cheese, bread, deli, bulk stuff, and prepared foods is GREAT, while everything in the middle is high quality but very limited selection of fancy brand names that almost no one else sells. If you're in the mood for a bag of Cheetos, you are shit outta luck.