Old 01-13-2019, 01:04 PM

Calling all elementary school teachers of the seventies, looking for school film

Im looking for a short drama I saw as a child in school in the early seventies about an elderly woman who lived alone in a big house I think somewhere in the southern US. As I remember it, she invited some local girls to a (tea?) party and they reluctantly accepted. The elderly woman spends a lot of time preparing it bringing out her fine china and making treats. But at the end, they stood her up. I can still remember the look of disappointment of that old lady waiting after going to all that trouble, when none of the children arrive. So one of the girls with a conscience babysitting her little brother changes her mind at the last minute and takes him to the party. It was in the same vein as Peege (1973), The Shopping Bag Lady (1976) or Le haricot (The String Bean) (1962) teaching children about the values of the elderly. Any help would be appreciated. I tried archive.org with no success. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:33 AM

I thought this was going to be about "The Red Balloon". Sorry, I can't help, except to bump your thread....
Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolL View Post
I thought this was going to be about "The Red Balloon". Sorry, I can't help, except to bump your thread....
That's the first movie I thought of too! We must have watched that every year in the late '60's.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

I'd say the odds are better than 50-50 that film was produced by the National Film Board of Canada. Luckily, they have a database you can search in different ways. Bon chance!
Old 01-14-2019, 12:14 PM

Definitely not the Red Balloon. Thx.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:17 PM

I made another quick search on the NFB and was a good answer as I'm Canadian and I'm sure I saw this while I was living in Canada as I did spend a lot of my youth living in the US as well. But using search words like elderly, party, babysitter, I could not find what I was looking for. Another lost night due to lack of sleep.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:42 PM

Here's a likely candidate:

I THINK WOMBAT (1971) - Linda and her friends are invited to a party by Millie Moore, the neighborhood's recluse. Everyone accepts the invitation but on the day of the party Linda learns that only she has taken the invitation seriously and that the other girls are not going to the party. Linda must decide what she is going to do.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:00 PM

This is the film I'm looking for years! Upon a further Google search, it's actually titled "I Think", from Wombat productions, as per the source Educational Films 1979 from The University of Michigan media resources center.

It doesn't show up on IMDB, but at least I have a title to go on to hopefully find the actual media at one of my public libraries. Thank you so muchI'll build a small idol of you to sit above my hearth.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:18 AM

Aha! Not bad for my first post here.

Here's the best way to find obscure books and stuff that some library, somewhere might hold: WorldCat.
Try this on for size.

If these places are out of reach, there's a good chance your local library can arrange an inter-library loan with one of them. Well worth a shot.

Yes, the hearthside idol gig sounds about right.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:33 AM

Yes, I found the WorldCat link soon after my first reply, but my local library may not allow loans from WorldCat. There's even a film reel selling on eBay. I'm surprized no one has scanned this touching little gem of a film. But I know I'll also need a box of tissues when I do find it. Thanks again, you're a special person.