Old 01-15-2019, 01:37 PM

Sardines!

A couple of years ago at my annual wellness checkup, they told me I need to increase my "good cholesterol". So, I bought a can of sardines to see what they were like, since I had never tried them before.

I've never been a huge fan of canned tuna, so I assumed I wouldn't like them.

I was wrong! I found them very enjoyable, and sardines on a cracker has been a part of my regular lunch rotation for a while now.

I typically get the BeachCliff or Pampa brand in Louisiana hot sauce. I've also found herring in a chili-tomato sauce that I enjoy.

The other day, I noticed my local Walmart had the much more expensive King Oscar brand sardines clearance priced at $1.00/can, so I bought a couple just for s&gs.

My clupeidaen world has now grown much larger. I had no idea sardines could be so delectable!

I went back to Walmart and bought out the rest of the King Oscar brand that they had on clearance.

My worry now is that I'm spoiled. I don't know if I can go back to the cheaper brands once my premium stash runs out, and I don't know if I can justify buying King Oscar at regular price.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM

Mmmm, sardines, them delectable little fishes! I like the ones in mustard on Triscuit crackers. Makes me think that I haven't had any since I moved and no longer have a Grocery Outlet nearby. But there's a new Big Lots a quick bus ride away, so I should go check them out. Somehow, I associate sardines with discount stores.

It would be lovely if they had King Oscars for a buck (not likely, I'm sure) but I'd be happy with Beach Cliff.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

I generally buy Trader Joe's Lightly Smoked Sardines in Olive Oil. Usually I eat them as-is, but sometimes I'll smother them in Sriracha sauce.

Emperor of Russia: Tsar.
Emperor's wife: Tzarina.
Their kids: Tzardines!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:10 PM

I like the ones in mustard, too. Haven't bought any in a while. Must correct that situation soon.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 01-15-2019, 03:17 PM

We have a moderately-sized Portuguese community in this town, and there are a few Portuguese grocery stores around to serve them.

Portuguese have a knack for canning sardines, and whenever I visit one of these stores, I stock up on a few cans. They're always quite reasonable, and excellent. I always go for the simple canned-in-olive-oil variety.

I think Spain also excels in canned fish, if my memory of Tony Bourdain's shows is correct.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I like the ones in mustard, too. Haven't bought any in a while. Must correct that situation soon.
I like herring filets in Dijon mustard. But I can never find them where I shop.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:40 PM

I love sardines in hot sauce.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of the Bumble Bee Skinless Boneless ones, with Franks Red Hot on saltines. Mmmmmm...
Old 01-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
We have a moderately-sized Portuguese community in this town, and there are a few Portuguese grocery stores around to serve them.

Portuguese have a knack for canning sardines, and whenever I visit one of these stores, I stock up on a few cans. They're always quite reasonable, and excellent. I always go for the simple canned-in-olive-oil variety.

I think Spain also excels in canned fish, if my memory of Tony Bourdain's shows is correct.
Hi Teela - but did you realise just how big a deal this is in Portugal? This is the famous sardine shop in Lisbon:

https://www.aportugueseaffair.com/sardinha-portuguesa/

And whatever Lisbon can do:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac..._Portugal.html

So, Mike - next holiday?

j
Old 01-15-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Hi Teela - but did you realise just how big a deal this is in Portugal? This is the famous sardine shop in Lisbon:

So, Mike - next holiday?

j
Wow, impressive.

If I ever make it to Europe, Portugal and Spain will be at the top of my list!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

I think I've asked this before, but I've forgotten the answer.

Do canned sardines still have the guts in them? I'm always more interested in eating them than dissecting them, so I never check. On one hand I think, 'Of course they're cleaned! Their heads are off, aren't they?' On the other hand, they're pretty small; so it seems a lot of work to gut them, and who's going to notice a few cooked internal organs anyway?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:

So, Mike - next holiday?

j
That's amazing. Yum, I'd probably OD on sardines if I went to Portugal.

Johnny L.A., I think the larger sardines are gutted, and the itty bitty ones are still intact. I sometimes buy the "Tiny Tots" brand, and the little fishies still have all their bones and guts.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

A dollar a car for King Oscar is a really good deal.

Try smoked sprats, tiny little fishies from the Baltics.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM

I like the little ones, especially the really teeny ones that are cross-packed. I really don't care for the bigger ones that are only like 4 in a can. I like to dump out the oil, refill the can with Crystal hot sauce and eat them with a little cocktail fork.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:05 PM

Nope. Nope. Nope. Fish guts, gross! I think I have a memory of my nasty Uncle Leroy eating them when he was shit-faced. Maybe that's why I don't like them.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:

I was in Lisbon last summer and we went to the Time Out Market for lunch one day. I practically freaked out when I saw the sardine booth. The people I was with thought I was nuts for eating canned sardines for lunch, but they were awesome.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:02 PM

One of my favorite recipes for the littles fishies (From Alton Brown, I think):

Sherried Sardine Toast
• 2 (3.75-ounce 2-layer) tins brisling sardines in olive oil
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves, divided
• 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, reserve the lemon and cut into 4 wedges
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 4 (1/2-inch) thick slices crusty bread, such as sourdough, country loaf or rye
• 1 ripe Hass avocado
• Coarse sea salt

Directions
Drain the oil from 1 tin of sardines into a small bowl and set aside. Drain the oil from the other tin into another small bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon of parsley, vinegar, lemon zest, and black pepper, to taste. Add the sardines, stir to combine and set aside for up to 1 hour.
After 45 minutes, put a rack 3-inches from the broiler and heat the oven to the broiler setting on high. Brush each slice of bread on 1 side with the reserved oil. Put the bread, oil side up, onto a cooling rack set inside a half sheet pan and broil 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Smash the flesh in each half with a fork.
Spread the avocado evenly onto the toasted bread. Top evenly with the sardines. Pour any remaining dressing on top and garnish with the remaining parsley.
Season lightly with sea salt and serve with lemon wedges.

Last edited by Mind's Eye, Watering; 01-15-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 PM

OP, if you're in an expansive mood WRT your diet, and you like sardines, I suspect you will like the Queen of canned seafood...the smoked oyster.

Seriously: one of my favorite snacks of all time is to open and drain a can of smoked oysters (in oil), grab a decent cracker (water crackers, etc), put a smoked oyster on it, top it with a sliver of gruyere cheese and then finish with a dollop of dijon mustard. It's excellent.

By the way, sprats are also awesome, AND any of these things (sardines, sprats, smoked oysters) make AMAZING substitutions for anchovies in salad dressing preparations. If you have a food processor, you are now the king of vinaigrettes.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:46 PM

What’s wrong with you people!?!

There’s only one way to properly eat a sardine: you spread a layer of Philadelphia Cream Cheese on a Ritz cracker. Then you put a sardine on top of that. Then you put a caper into the sardine’s eye socket. Then you sprinkle a few drops of Texas Pete hot sauce on top of that and you eat it in one bite. Then you eat a dozen more—two dozen if you haven’t eaten for a couple hours.

This should be common sense. Do I have to change your diapers, too? Fer cryin’ out loud ...
Old 01-15-2019, 06:50 PM

Seriously....are there guts and bones in sardines? Cause while people here are raving over their taste, I just can't bring myself to try them if there's either of those still included with the fish.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
This is the famous sardine shop in Lisbon...
That place is always SO crowded. The people are packed in there like...well, let's just say it's crowded.

mmm
Old 01-15-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby View Post

There’s only one way to properly eat a sardine: you spread a layer of Philadelphia Cream Cheese on a Ritz cracker. Then you put a sardine on top of that. Then you put a caper into the sardine’s eye socket. Then you sprinkle a few drops of Texas Pete hot sauce on top of that and you eat it in one bite. Then you eat a dozen more—two dozen if you haven’t eaten for a couple hours.
For the record, you lost me at "socket".
Old 01-15-2019, 09:31 PM

I'm a huge fan of most canned fish and sardines in particular. The mustard packed ones are pretty good but for the most part I just eat the oil packed ones.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
OP, if you're in an expansive mood WRT your diet, and you like sardines, I suspect you will like the Queen of canned seafood...the smoked oyster..
Thanks! I do enjoy oysters, but I've never tried them from a can.

I'll pick some up!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
Seriously....are there guts and bones in sardines? Cause while people here are raving over their taste, I just can't bring myself to try them if there's either of those still included with the fish.
Sardines are typically gutted, but the bones are still there. I don't notice them though.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Since this is about food and the enjoyment thereof, let's move it to Cafe Society (from MPSIMS).
Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 PM

Here’s a thread I started a couple of months ago: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=856338
That might have some useful info.

Last edited by Lucas Jackson; 01-15-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 PM

Sardines are gutted. Some sardines are filleted; if so, they are usually also skinless.

I like skinned and deboned sardines in olive oil. I happily eat them straight, and also love to make up a sardine salad similar to tuna salad.

ETA: if they are not filleted, it's not that big a deal. The process of rendering them fit for consumption (smoking or cooking) turns the bones into soft stuff that is barely noticeable.

Last edited by DSYoungEsq; 01-15-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:29 AM

Apparently there are two main methods for preparation:

The Norwegian method is to hold the fish, alive, until their guts are empty.

The Mediterranean method is to behead and gut them.

According to this site, at least: https://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/sf_sardcanz.html
Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
What’s wrong with you people!?!

This should be common sense. Do I have to change your diapers, too? Fer cryin’ out loud ...
No, no, no you're mistaken. The only way to enjoy them is to watch my cats eat them. Every birthday they get a can.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
No, no, no you're mistaken. The only way to enjoy them is to watch my cats eat them. Every birthday they get a can.
I think you're adding an unnecessary step into the equation, but OK, we can roll with it …

Feed your cat a can of sardines, then put the cat on top of a Ritz cracker along with Philadelphia Cream Cheese, put a caper into its eye socket … and, well, you know the rest ...
Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

I think I've posted here before about my love of bacon and sardine sandwiches. I think I invented it. Sardines, a layer of crisp bacon, and brown mustard. Yum!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:09 AM

Can you ever get fresh sardines? Because nothing says summer to me more than being in the garden, a glass of chilled white wine and fresh grilled sardines, sprinkled with sea salt with a squeeze of lemon eaten with my fingers. YUM.

Last edited by SanVito; 01-16-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:28 AM

Watch out for expiration dates. I recently had an expired can of them that looked, smelled and tasted ok, but then... really bad abdominal cramps. It lasted for weeks, and finally went away after taking lots of probiotics.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 AM

Sardines, tomato sauce, grated parmesan & pasta.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Toasted bagel, cream cheese, tinned fishies, drizzled with honey mustard. Chase with pickled cocktail onions as a palate cleanser.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM

I once ate a sardine and peanut butter sandwich. I do not recommend it.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:16 PM

My sardine habit has gotten a bit expensive. I graduated from the King Oscar types to sardines from Spain/Portugal bought from Amazon (after reading an article that the best sardines are from there). So now my favs are Matiz Espana for $17 for 5 tins. And they are worth every penny!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:57 PM

I used to go to a little Basque bar in Northern Nevada, and the guy would serve this weird salami and cheese, sardines and crackers.

Good eatin', especially about 2 am after a good drunk.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I like the little ones, especially the really teeny ones that are cross-packed. I really don't care for the bigger ones that are only like 4 in a can.
100% with you there. I just can't seem to find any locally.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Can you ever get fresh sardines? Because nothing says summer to me more than being in the garden, a glass of chilled white wine and fresh grilled sardines, sprinkled with sea salt with a squeeze of lemon eaten with my fingers. YUM.
Fresh sardines or smelts are usually available around here. I also love them grilled, with a squeeze of lemon.

Canned sardines are good,too, for a quick lunch. Faster than making a tuna salad.