Old 01-15-2019, 03:21 PM

People You Like Despite Not Loving Their Art

I used the term "loving" so feel free to put down work you like. I'm still trying to think of one, but I know there are musicians whose music I like, but it's them I like more. I notice when I spend more time on interviews than the actual songs. I think part of that is also because you hear the music anyway (or in a documentary).

Miles Davis is the only one I can think of right now. Maybe some of it is his anger I like, or his refusal to kiss butt.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Maybe you liked his many incidents of domestic violence, his career as a pimp, or his multiple drug addictions? There are a lot of admirable musicians, but Miles is not one of them. I saw an interview where the interviewer said "You've done a lot of bad things ... you were a pimp." Miles replied "Is that bad?"

Last edited by markn+; 01-15-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Maybe you liked his many incidents of domestic violence, his career as a pimp, or his multiple drug addictions? There are a lot of admirable musicians, but Miles is not one of them. I saw an interview where the interviewer said "You've done a lot of bad things ... you were a pimp." Miles replied "Is that bad?"
What a reply...
Old 01-15-2019, 04:43 PM

John Legend.
He has appeared on Hollywood Game Night along with his wife Chrissy Teigen multiple times, and they always have more fun than anybody. They seem to be a real, down-to-earth, loving, and somewhat goofy couple that I'd enjoy hanging out with. He's obviously very talented, and is by all accounts a good husband and father, and generally a decent guy.

His music? Eh. Doesn't really do anything for me.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 PM

I don't really care for the music of either Sheryl Crow or Alanis Morrissette, but I've always felt that if I knew them personally, I would really like them.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:50 PM

Rick Wakeman.

There's Yes. And then there's all the other prog that he did solo. And......no, just no.

But interviewed, an entertaining, funny bloke, a joy to listen to. Can't help but think that an evening down the pub with him would be great fun.

j

(Fine session musician though - Hunky Dory for starters.)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

I can't say I've really liked anything John Mayer put out, but after seeing him on the Chapelle show, he did seem like a guy who has a sense of humor and some serious chops, so that's my first thought.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
John Legend.
He has appeared on Hollywood Game Night along with his wife Chrissy Teigen multiple times, and they always have more fun than anybody. They seem to be a real, down-to-earth, loving, and somewhat goofy couple that I'd enjoy hanging out with. He's obviously very talented, and is by all accounts a good husband and father, and generally a decent guy.

His music? Eh. Doesn't really do anything for me.
Same.. I just saw him on a Quincy Jones documentary, and seems like a good man. I don't remember any of the music, but I appreciate anyone who plays the piano or any other real instrument (while singing)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I can't say I've really liked anything John Mayer put out, but after seeing him on the Chapelle show, he did seem like a guy who has a sense of humor and some serious chops, so that's my first thought.
I really can't stand anything (on the radio) by John Mayer. Then one day I caught him on TV playing a concert and, wow, he's an amazing guitarist. While I still never care to hear Your Body Is A Wonderland, I have no problem watching him play at Eric Clapton's Crossroads or whatever Phil Lesh thing I saw him on.

But, for me, what I thought of was the Foo Fighters, or Dave Grohl at least. I very much like their music, I've caught bits and pieces of concerts on TV but I don't own a single album by them or know more than just the songs that have had airtime (radio or video). However, I feel like I've seen just about every interview with them, a couple of documentaries (Sound City was great) and who knows how much youtube footage of them/him I've consumed...but still only know those handful of songs.
I think he's just really good at being in front of a camera.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

And I'm not sure if this counts, but the documentary on The Wrecking Crew was really, really good. Most people probably have no idea how much music, even by bands they love, is actually them in the studio.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:27 PM

For me it's Kevin Smith. His films aren't really my thing but it seems like he'd be fun to hang out with and talk about geeky pop culture stuff.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Paul Simon....too soon?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Paul Simon....too soon?
Wait...what did he do?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Paul Simon....too soon?
I'm the reverse; I like some of his songs, but I don't like him and didn't like him going to an apartheid country and basically having South Africans sing on top of that awful fake drum machine (Paul said it was added for..... I can't remember, it's in the Classic Albums show).
Old 01-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
But, for me, what I thought of was the Foo Fighters, or Dave Grohl at least. I very much like their music, I've caught bits and pieces of concerts on TV but I don't own a single album by them or know more than just the songs that have had airtime (radio or video). However, I feel like I've seen just about every interview with them, a couple of documentaries (Sound City was great) and who knows how much youtube footage of them/him I've consumed...but still only know those handful of songs.
I think he's just really good at being in front of a camera.
Grohl is my choice, too. I only know a few Foo Fighters songs, and a lot of their stuff is harder than I really care for, but every interview I've seen / read with him, as well as the Sonic Highways documentary series, indicates to me that he's smart, cool, nice, and funny as hell.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 PM

On the topic of the thread.

From what I've seen (including testimony from people like Gail Simone) Rob Liefeld is a pretty chill dude, with a real passion for comics. It's just a pity he has very limited talent to go along with that passion. I'd happily hang out with him, and talk about other people's comics, but I'd feel bad having to give my honest opinion about his to his face.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Paul Simon....too soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Wait...what did he do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
I'm the reverse; I like some of his songs, but I don't like him and didn't like him going to an apartheid country and basically having South Africans sing on top of that awful fake drum machine (Paul said it was added for..... I can't remember, it's in the Classic Albums show).
It was a pun on his partner being Art Garfunkel.

I personally don't know much about Paul as a person so I can't make a call. As far as his songs go, I like quite a few of them but then again he had quite a few songs so I'm bound to like some of them.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 PM

Recently I turned on NPR mid-interview with someone talking about the development of their song writing, and thought, "wow, who is this guy? He seems like a terrific person!"

Turns out it was Bruce Springsteen, whose music I don't dislike, but I've never found it especially engaging. That one interview may have changed my mind, though.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:30 PM

Justin Timberlake and Blake Shelton both seem like they'd be fun to shoot the shit with, provided they promised not to perform their music.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
There are a ton of people whose art i adore, but find ways to piss me off weekly.

I'm really struggling to find an OP example.

Steve Carrell? I can't watch an Office ep without yelling at Michael, And Foxcatcher and Little Miss Sunshine were not my taste.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 PM

John Waters films are definitely not for me, but I enjoy watching any interview with him (I also really enjoyed his book "Role Models", so maybe that means he can't be my answer).

And Jerry Springer always struck me as a reasonable person. Why someone would choose to continue on that show when you've already got enough money to live comfortably, though, is a mystery to me.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:38 PM

This is a reverse for "you love their work but hate the person" ops
Old 01-15-2019, 10:41 PM

I don't think John Goodman could act like a plummeting person if you pushed him off a bridge. I still think he'd be a fun person to know.

I can't really explain why Steve Martin's acting bugs the crap out of me but it just does. If he want's to perform, hand him his banjo and tell him to keep his mouth shut. When he pulls back though, acts like a human being and doesn't "play big", he's a delight. The stories he could share would boggle my mind.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsThen View Post
John Waters films are definitely not for me, but I enjoy watching any interview with him (I also really enjoyed his book "Role Models", so maybe that means he can't be my answer).
Have you read this? It had me LOLing throughout! It's divided into 3 sections: the best case scenario, the worst case scenario, and what really happened.

https://www.amazon.com/Carsick-Water...ck+john+waters
Old 01-15-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Justin Timberlake and Blake Shelton both seem like they'd be fun to shoot the shit with, provided they promised not to perform their music.
I came in here to mention Justin Timberlake. While I'm not a fan of his musical genre in general, I've found him to be very entertaining in every interview I've seen, and he is funny enough in his appearances on SNL to be a regular cast member. He also seems like he would be a really cool guy to have a couple of beers and hang out with.

Last edited by Jet Jaguar; 01-15-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:19 AM

I presume writers are eligible for mention in this thread -- I'm a heretic who finds Terry Pratchett's work awful; but from everything I've heard, he was "in his private and personal capacity", a very nice and likeable guy.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Dave Grohl was the first person I thought of, and it's interesting that two other people have already mentioned him in the thread. Every time I see an interview with him, I think "wow, he seems like a really cool guy and knows what he's talking about", but I've never been remotely interested in listening to any of his music and couldn't name a single Foo Fighters song if you put a gun to my head.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Dolly Parton. She seems like a genuinely nice person, and very smart. But to me, her singing voice is like fingernails on a blackboard.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Paul Simon is a total control freak, according to people who have worked with him. The Broadway musical The Capeman had the potential to be great, but insisted it be done his way, despite his total lack of knowledge about how to do a musical.

The show tanked.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 AM

If we may include couturiers, Agatha Ruiz de la Prada's designs are not my cup of tea at all, but I like that what she designs is what she likes to wear/use. I've seen too many other designers whose personal clothing was in a different universe as their designs. And her reaction to some of the bad personal stuff she's had has been, at least publically, more on the "oh well, damn that was unexpected but shit happens!" side than the unrelenting vitriol or mountains of whining you often see.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Justin Timberlake
Good one!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Recently I turned on NPR mid-interview with someone talking about the development of their song writing, and thought, "wow, who is this guy? He seems like a terrific person!"

Turns out it was Bruce Springsteen, whose music I don't dislike, but I've never found it especially engaging. That one interview may have changed my mind, though.
Bruce is mine too. I can't stand his singing, but he seems like a righteous dude.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Robin Williams. His coked-up/manic stand-up act always made me want to plug my ears and flee the room. Similarly, when he was trying to heartwarming, I always felt that I would soon need insulin. In his few public appearances I saw where he wasn't "on," though, he seemed very personable and even likable.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Like(d) them in interviews, don't care for their work:

John Denver.
Snoop Dog.
Dwayne Johnson.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:48 PM

Weird Al.

Seems like a nice guy, don't find him all that funny.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Colleen Ballinger is a Youtuber who does a character called "Miranda Sings" (the Sings is the surname). She's this hyperannoying character of the Molly Shannon "SUPAH-STAH!" variety, who thinks she is infinitely more talented than the rest of us (and far more than she actually is). A lot of people seem to love the character, but I can't take more than thirty seconds of Miranda.

Colleen herself, on the other hand, is funny, charming, cute as all hell, just had a baby who is the most precious thing... She has a great family whom I love to watch as well (her sister Rachel is also a YTer and is fun to watch as well). I think Colleen needs to retire Miranda permanently, and hopefully come up with something else, because this is a talented chick and deserves more time in the spotlight.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Grohl is my choice, too. I only know a few Foo Fighters songs, and a lot of their stuff is harder than I really care for, but every interview I've seen / read with him, as well as the Sonic Highways documentary series, indicates to me that he's smart, cool, nice, and funny as hell.
Interesting. I actually did think of Grohl at first, but I don't find his stuff "hard." My complaint about Foo Fighters is that is just sounds, I dunno, "corporate rock" to me, for the most part. Just kind of paint-by-numbers pop songwriting. That said, it is solid, hooky songwriting, and I do like some of their stuff. And he was fantastic in Nirvana, so I had to cross him off the list.

But, yes, he seems like a great guy. He didn't stop with music after Nirvana, and he didn't just keep on drumming, but decided to switch to guitar and vocals. And he seems to have a sense of humor (which is very important to me) and just a great sense of fun about it. He comes across as a great dude on all accounts.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-16-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Robin Williams. His coked-up/manic stand-up act always made me want to plug my ears and flee the room. Similarly, when he was trying to heartwarming, I always felt that I would soon need insulin. In his few public appearances I saw where he wasn't "on," though, he seemed very personable and even likable.
Totally agree... I think if you asked a random person today, they'd probably call him an actor before a stand-up comedian. But yeah, I couldn't stand it, either, but Robin seemed like a very humanistic guy. I saw this interview when it came out, and I remember it as being very cool and uncut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL41lXNSwKs
Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Nobody ever has anything bad to say about Adam Sandler, other than that he makes terrible movies.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 PM

LL Cool J. I've met him and he seems like a genuinely good guy. But his music ain't my thang.

mmm
Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Totally agree... I think if you asked a random person today, they'd probably call him an actor before a stand-up comedian.
As a 43-year-old, I find that interesting. To me, he was always a stand-up comedian. I know he was on Mork & Mindy when I was young, but, as a kid, I remember three great stand-up acts as being foundational for my understanding and appreciation of stand-up comedy: Robin Williams at the Met, Bill Cosby "Himself," and Eddie Murphy "Raw." To me, Robin Williams will always be a stand-up comedian first and foremost. I loved his manic, rapid-fire, stream-of-conscious energy.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post

This.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Have you read this? It had me LOLing throughout! It's divided into 3 sections: the best case scenario, the worst case scenario, and what really happened.

https://www.amazon.com/Carsick-Water...ck+john+waters
Haven't read that one yet, but I have the strangest feeling I have it as a ebook and just never got around to it. If that's true I'll definitely have to give it a go.

Last edited by HowSoonIsThen; 01-16-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Dolly Parton. She seems like a genuinely nice person, and very smart. But to me, her singing voice is like fingernails on a blackboard.
I don't know if I'd go quite that far on her voice, but I don't (usually*) enjoy it.
Still, she seems to be really cool and funny, and she does a whole hell of a lot that she doesn't seem to trumpet - she does it because she thinks it's right.
And like I say, I'd bet she'd be a hoot to hang out with.

*She does do a nice cover of 'Seven Bridges Road'.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Assuming you stretch the term art to cover it, I am no fan of professional wrestling. And I don't think I've seen any of his movies. But from everything I've heard John Cena is a wonderful human being.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Did you ever slow down her Jolene album? The song itself is too fast to convey the emotion, so I found a version played on a 33 instead of a 45.

It's amazing how much better her voice sounds. It always sounded like a sped up recording to me, and this seems to show it. She's secretly a tenor who is moving at a faster rate than the rest of us, I guess.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 AM

Andy Warhol.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:27 AM

Ditto Justin Timberlake. Not a fan of his music, but I want to hang out with him.
Lady Gaga seems like she would be cool and down-to-earth if her glamour was stripped away, and not be an insecure attention-demanding diva.
I didn't really care for Henry Rollins's music, but I went to one of his spoken-word performances and consider it one of the high points of my life.
I don't identify with Ted Nugent's politics or music, but he has incredible energy. I heard him in a radio interview and considered becoming a survivalist for a minute.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
As a 43-year-old, I find that interesting. To me, he was always a stand-up comedian. I know he was on Mork & Mindy when I was young, but, as a kid, I remember three great stand-up acts as being foundational for my understanding and appreciation of stand-up comedy: Robin Williams at the Met, Bill Cosby "Himself," and Eddie Murphy "Raw." To me, Robin Williams will always be a stand-up comedian first and foremost. I loved his manic, rapid-fire, stream-of-conscious energy.

Speaking of Eddie Murphy, most have never seen him live doing stand-up.. "Raw" was the first comedy special I ever saw, with the suggestion my friend weeks after graduation, which led me to Mort Sahl, Bill Hicks, and George Carlin eventually
Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Speaking of Eddie Murphy, most have never seen him live doing stand-up.. "Raw" was the first comedy special I ever saw, with the suggestion my friend weeks after graduation, which led me to Mort Sahl, Bill Hicks, and George Carlin eventually
Have you ever heard any comedians that are actually funny?