Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 AM

Please help me make a good fruit mousse

I'm having a little dinner party with my two best friends on Friday, and I have an obstinate idea in my head that I want to make a fruit mousse for dessert. I've never done it before.

I know what ingredients I'll be using; the part I'm unclear on is the order of assembly.

I will be using:

Some apricot goo of medium consistency that I got by simmering some dried apricots and sugar in nectar and then whipping;

Some heavy whipping cream; and

A couple egg whites whipped with a bit of cream tartar.

So, do I whip the egg whites until stiff first, then fold in the apricot goo? Whip egg whites and goo together?

I plan on whipping the heavy cream separately & folding whatever happens with the fruit goo into that.

I would appreciate hearing from the voice of experience.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Hmm, the closest I've come to making a fruit mousse is a chilled souffle. This one is lemon, but it'd probably be not too hard to use your apricot goo instead. I can attest that recipe is delicious - it's from Cook's Illustrated originally (which still has it, but their version is behind a pay wall) and I've made it many times.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:07 PM

I think your initial inclination was good
Whip the egg whites
Fold goo into whipped egg whites
Whip the heavy cream
Fold cream into goo-hybrid

This would be fine for a mousse that is being served same day. Otherwise you might need a stabilizer of some sort, gelatin etc.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 PM

Shouldn't you whip sugar into the egg whites to make a meringue and then fold the goo into that?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:41 PM

I've got a fantastic strawberry mousse recipe that I've made many times. I think you could easily adapt it for your apricot goo (which sounds delicious, by the way!).

The recipe doesn't use egg whites, and frankly I think you should jettison them. First, if they're not pasturized, you could make your guests sick with salmonella (rare but it happens); and second, they just won't stand up for very long. Bonus: You won't have 2 extra egg yolks hanging around.

My recipe uses a mixture of cream cheese and whipped cream, giving a light but less fragile texture. If you want the recipe, let me know and I'll be happy to share it.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:28 PM

Aspenglow: Sure! Bring it on!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:53 PM

It's so easy!! And gets raves every time.

Strawberry Mousse

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries or half of 16 ounces pkg. frozen, unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed
1 pkg. (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into 3-4 cubes
1/2 cup powdered sugar (you can sift it if you want but I don't)
4 oz. heavy whipping cream, whipped to medium stiffness
toasted sliced almonds for topping
more whipped cream, optional

Preparation:

In a blender container or food processor fitted with chopping blade, combine strawberries, cream cheese and powdered sugar. Blend or process until mixture is smooth and uniform, stopping and scraping sides as necessary.

Pour mixture into a mixing bowl. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon mousse mixture into 6 dessert dishes. Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Serve sprinkled with the sliced almonds or top with a dollop of whipped cream and sliced almonds sprinkled over the top.

Makes 6 servings.

Obviously substitute apricot goo for strawberries. I'll bet it will be a gorgeous dessert!