Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 PM

The Walking Dead enjoyed a fanatical fandom for awhile.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
The Walking Dead enjoyed a fanatical fandom for awhile.
So did the Grateful Dead.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
Historical reenactors have to be way up there in the depth category.
Actual overheard quote: "Your shirt has 15 stitches per inch but a true shirt from that time period would only have 10-12 stitches per inch."
An author named Tony Horowitz wrote a book called Confederates In The Attic, about the persistence of Confederate iconography in the South. He hung out with some frighteningly dedicated CSA re-enactors, who made him leave some apples behind, because they were a modern varietal that didn’t exist in the 1860s.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
But individual boy bands are a flash-in-the-pan fad, just like New Boys 2 Men In Synch On The Block in the US.
True, many are. In addition to the fickleness of fashion and fame, an issue particular to South Korean boy bands is how the draft causes them to lose members to military service on a regular basis. (And then there's scandals when certain popular stars get away with very lax service.) But just like some of the bands you mashed up have done, there's often the possibility of comeback tours or solo projects.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

the musical Rent by the late Jonathan Larson had really dedicated RENTheads for a while.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 AM

I guess it is a commentary on my age, but I am a little surprised not to see The Beatles mentiined. My childhood babysitters knew every discernible fact about them and would jealously hoarde any new info they could lay hands on.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Star Trek fandom took a hit between the end of Star Trek: Enterprise in 2005 and the premiere of Star Trek(the film directed by J.J. Abrams) in 2009. Reaction to Star Trek: Enterprise was mixed among the Trekkies I know; the reboot film caused a lot of them to stop caring about anything new being created and just focus on the previous works. Some just moved on completely.\
From what I could tell, it wasn't so much the film that messed it up, it was the fact that as the various Trek series went on, they got more and more polarizing, with Enterprise topping that cake. Then you had a four year gap, a single feature length movie essentially setting up a parallel canon, and then another 4 year gap, a second movie, and then a 3 year gap, and a third.

So in 14 years, we've had a total of six hours of content that's not even in the established Trek universe. There's been a 14 year gap in the old canon- prior to this, the longest single gap was between the end of the animated series in 1974 and the premiere of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Otherwise there were usually either 2-3 year gaps, or from about 1987-2005, there was at least one Trek show showing continuously, with DS9 and Voyager overlapping from 1995-1999.

I think that it's not so much that the fandom has lapsed, but rather that they're not hungry, as it were. Anyone interested in Trek has 755 television episodes and 10 feature films in the old canon, and three films in the new one, plus lots of novels out there which may or may not be canonical. Things have come a long way from when there were 79 original episodes, and people just wanted MORE! (which incidentally, is my theory for the genesis of serious fandoms- they have to be left wanting in some way)
Old 01-18-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
(which incidentally, is my theory for the genesis of serious fandoms- they have to be left wanting in some way)
That's it exactly with the Silent Hill and Fallout fandoms. Years go by between installments. WRT Silent Hill, theparent companyno longergives a shit about the franchise, or video games in general, so the fandom is YF. For Fallout, Bethesda wants fat stacks of Benjies with minimal effort. They don't give a wet shit about continuity or canon or even bringing a playable game to market.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
An author named Tony Horowitz wrote a book called Confederates In The Attic, about the persistence of Confederate iconography in the South. He hung out with some frighteningly dedicated CSA re-enactors, who made him leave some apples behind, because they were a modern varietal that didn’t exist in the 1860s.
Obligatory Key and Peele sketch: "We just here to slave on about any ole which way you want us to".
Old 01-18-2019, 06:10 PM

I think this has died down now, but in its heyday, American Idol generated a fandom that was (in some cases it seemed literally) insane. I had never seen it until the year that the “Glamberts” took up for Adam Lambert. I took an interest in it that year, and followed some of the websites and of course it was all over Twitter. It was fascinating. Grown women frothing at the mouth hysterical with hate for their special snowflake’s competitors, it was crazy. I heard Clay Aiken’s fans had a crazed element too.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
I guess it is a commentary on my age, but I am a little surprised not to see The Beatles mentiined. My childhood babysitters knew every discernible fact about them and would jealously hoarde any new info they could lay hands on.
Same here. My older relatives and others I've met in their age groups ( school teachers, for example ) really seemed put them on a pedestal and get quite testy when their views are challenged. It's not like we ( me, and some of my peers ) were bashing the The Beatles either: it was more of a "yeah, they were influential in their day and an important part of the "soundtrack" of the 60s, but a little of their music goes a long way with me" type of view. They get defensive and brag about how popular they were, how many records they sold, blah blah blah....

Any counterpoint to that just made them into generational chauvinists about how we ( younger than them ) just don't get how much better everything was in their day.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:18 PM

With my mother it was Elvis.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
They get defensive and brag about how popular they were, how many records they sold, blah blah blah....
See also Rush fans: mention that they aren't really your cup of tea, and they'll huffily quote statistics at you. "Perhaps, sirrah, you weren't quite aware that their 7th reunion tour sold out the Monglebowl in only 24 minutes, and that Hongle McBongle was awarded Guitar Mongler magazine's prestigious Most Notes In A Solo award for a record 3 years running".
Old 01-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
Not specifically directed to you, but to several messages on this thread: Doesn’t the OP ask about CURRENTLY ACTIVE fandoms?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:57 AM

Maybe not totally applicable to the question since this is Cafe Society, but the most fanatical fandom, not neccessarily most dedicated, in my experience has to be Football(or Soccer, if you prefer). As with most things, of course the fanatical types make up a small minority of the fandom.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santelia View Post
Maybe not totally applicable to the question since this is Cafe Society, but the most fanatical fandom, not neccessarily most dedicated, in my experience has to be Football(or Soccer, if you prefer). As with most things, of course the fanatical types make up a small minority of the fandom.
If you count football fans, you should count anime fans and My Little Pony fans as well.

Last edited by furryman; 01-20-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

In terms of depth and duration, Shakespeare fans probably win, beating Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart fans.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
On a worldwide basis, the BTS Army is by far the most powerful fandom right now.

And in general, k-pop fandoms are much bigger than people in the west realize. In any online popularity vote between western pop stars and k-pop stars, the k-pop stars always win, because Asians vote massively.
Based on my daughter and her friends (middle school girls in the Midwest USA), I would go with this.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoorex View Post
Yeah, not talking about the most popular fads. Otherwise I would be asking about Kardashians instead of Tolkien.
Does a fad last over a a decade? How are you defining "fads" if you are dismissing them all?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:11 PM

New one. The Dark Tower fandom. I recently drew their ire for questioning King's handling of the character Susannah. Specifically, that she never uses, nor is it ever explained why she never uses, prosthetic legs though such were common in her era. Their reaction was very much that I had shat all over Holy Writ. It was questioned who I even thought I was criticizing how King wrote a character.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
So did the Grateful Dead.
If Fans of The Grateful Dead are Deadheads, and Fans of Jimmy Buffet are Parrotheads, does that make Fans of Monty Python Dead Parrot Heads?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Doctor Who fandom was a big deal for a while. I don't think it really competes anymore though.
It's probably slowly reverting back to the long-term mean ie middle-aged men having VERY STRONG OPINIONS about UNIT dating, John Nathan-Turner etc.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I have a friend who is SERIOUSLY deep into Tolkien fandom. These are the people who read Norse sagas and know their Northern European mythology inside-out. I don't dare go against them. And I've written two books on mythology.
Yeah. Don't even talk to me about Middle Earth if you haven't read the Kalevala. In Finnish. Or Karelian.

QtM, who knows where his Sampo is.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
If Fans of The Grateful Dead are Deadheads, and Fans of Jimmy Buffet are Parrotheads, does that make Fans of Monty Python Dead Parrot Heads?
I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!
Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

But who you've really got to watch out for are those Lensman fans.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Conway Costigan rules!!!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
But who you've really got to watch out for are those Lensman fans.
Those rare Lenswomen are to die for!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Conway Costigan rules!!!
I did have a crush on Clio, until I met Cynthia . . .
Old 01-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

That last post really needed your sig activated.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
That last post really needed your sig activated.
ok, good point

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 01-22-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:34 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Re: Beatles fanatics--well, Beatle Fests are still a thing and there are al kinds of uber fans active online. There is almost always a Beatles-related thread on the front page of the Hoffman forum; the recent White Album thread had over 34,000 posts. Those guys really get down into the details and trivia with just about any classic rock act you could name.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 PM

If you're restricting to entertainment media, I got nothing.

However, I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned (for the "other" category) Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

What other product has devotees branding their flesh or sitting for a huge tattoo that spans the width of their backs, complete with fully-detailed eagle and wide-spread wings? Of course you might not see the brand or tattoo because they're covered by a full set of Harley Davidson designer clothing from cap to steel-toed boots. You might not see them at all, since they've traded in the Hog to sit behind the dark-tinted windows of a Harley Davidson Edition monster truck or SUV which might cost as much as one of those Paul Stanley guitars.

--G!
Old 02-01-2019, 02:11 AM

Bronies.

I dare not say any more lest I get in trouble.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
Bronies.

I dare not say any more lest I get in trouble.
Your silence is understood, I had thought I heard that Antonio Bron wanted to leave.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grestarian View Post
If you're restricting to entertainment media, I got nothing.

However, I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned (for the "other" category) Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

What other product has devotees branding their flesh or sitting for a huge tattoo that spans the width of their backs, complete with fully-detailed eagle and wide-spread wings? Of course you might not see the brand or tattoo because they're covered by a full set of Harley Davidson designer clothing from cap to steel-toed boots. You might not see them at all, since they've traded in the Hog to sit behind the dark-tinted windows of a Harley Davidson Edition monster truck or SUV which might cost as much as one of those Paul Stanley guitars.

--G!
I thought it was kind of strange that the word "hog" for motorcycle supposedly originated with an early group of Harley enthusiasts who called themselves the Harley Owners Group. But if there is really a large group of fanatics who owned one it makes more sense.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Yeah. Don't even talk to me about Middle Earth if you haven't read the Kalevala. In Finnish. Or Karelian.
I was actually looking yesterday for a good translation of the Kalevala, partly because I know it inspired Tolkien, and most places I looked just said that no translation was really any good, just learn Finnish... Maybe when* I finally get to grips with Beowulf in the original.

*he said optimistically
Old 02-04-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I thought it was kind of strange that the word "hog" for motorcycle supposedly originated with an early group of Harley enthusiasts who called themselves the Harley Owners Group. But if there is really a large group of fanatics who owned one it makes more sense.
Knuckleheads Saloon, the Kansas City music venue, started life as a Harley dealership known as F.O.G. Cycles - which stood for "Fucking Old Guys", the only people who could afford one of them.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
In terms of depth and duration, Shakespeare fans probably win, beating Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart fans.
I think Jane Austen fans rival fans of the Bard, even though he predates her by a few centuries. My daughters have seen various incarnations of Pride and Prejudice numerous times.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
I think Jane Austen fans rival fans of the Bard, even though he predates her by a few centuries. My daughters have seen various incarnations of Pride and Prejudice numerous times.
I was watching some movie about Julius Caesar, at first I thought it was a historical drama. It wasn't until halfway through the movie that I realized it was a modern adaption of the Shakespeare play.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:05 PM

We fans of The Residents are a dedicated bunch. And long suffering, in many ways. It's worth it tho.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
The name "Hog" for Harleys predates the Harley Owners Group by many decades.

No mention of Rick and Morty? I have no real knowledge of the show, but I do remember them getting all spastic over some stupid McDonalds sauce and causing inconvenience for non-idiots.
When a colorful rag is unfurled

N. Peart, Territories
Old 02-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I don't know how they compare with others in terms of numbers, but fans of the long-running TV show Supernatural have a reputation for being particularly... dedicated. By which I mean insane.
I came in here just now to mention Supernatural.

I've been watching since season 1 and when it was new, I thought we'd be lucky for it to last 4-5 seasons.

Fans watch so steadily that tonight, it airs its 300th episode and is in season 14. It has been renewed for season 15. This is unheard of for a genre show like this. It passed X-files and Stargate SG-1 as the longest running fantasy-type show.

It's still good.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Smaller group than most, but fierce...the Charmies. These engage in shipping of Timothee Chalamee and Armie Hammer, apparently based on an assumption that they are actually gay lovers and their performances in Call Me By Your Name were just a cover. Armie's (very lovely) wife is likely surprised to hear about their relationship.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:19 AM

In music, I was thinking of the Beatles and the Dead.

I think the OP is asking for 2 factors - both the depth of fandom AND the greatest number of participants. I suspect in just about any area you will find SOME folk who pursue (and flaunt) encyclopedic knowledge. For example, I play instrumental folk/bluegrass/oldtime music. The average music fan might not even appreciate that those 3 terms describe 3 very different styles. Get into any one of the 3, and you'll find some folk who are very eager to display their command of minutiae, and their familiarity with obscure songs/performers/recordings... But in terms of the number or participants, I don't think you can compare such folk to deadheads following the tours, seeing hundreds of shows, and trading cassettes of countless recordings. Or the Beatles, who seem to release every demo ever found, decades after the band ended.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
The fandom for the Korean boy band BTS.

Put it this way. The US is only a minor part of their fandom. Their base is Asia. Yet they were able to sell out Citi Field in NYC in 20 minutes last fall. Even major western stars have a hard time selling out stadiums that fast.
Oh, pshaw! If you're going to use that as a criterion, Burning Man has a ticket cap of 70,000 of which about 25,000 go on sale in one whack, called the Main Sale. The sale opens at noon PST on a Wednesday in March, and are gone in seconds.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
It would have been Star Trek at one time but something has happened in the last ten years or so and Trek fandom is still strong but not what it used to be.
That's because, as in the words of Detective Murtaugh, we're getting too old for that shit. LOL
Old 02-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned Ayn Rand. Many of her disciples have web sites, blogs, podcasts, books, newsletters, lecture series, seminars, conventions, etc. Many can quote entire passages from her books (Rand herself could quote, verbatim, anything she ever wrote). It was her followers who founded the modern Tea Party.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to say the Harley-Davidson riders. There are a number of motorcycle clubs (most famously, the Hell's Angels) whose bylaws state that their members shall ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles and no other. They maintained this devotion even through the 1970s and 1980s, when H-D's quality control took a notorious nosedive. There was even a slogan on t-shirts and bumper stickers, "I'll push my Harley before I ride a rice-burner!"
Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Robert Mueller fans are very active and motivated.