Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Thanks for the tip; haven't seen it, next on my list.
A word of warning: Curse is mildly amusing, but it is not one of the better films in the series. You have to sit through a long mediocre movie to get to Moore's scene.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 AM

^ Duly noted; thnx again.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:48 AM

This is going to be vague, but I know someone will get it....

(Vague bit number one) There was a sitcom starring Mike O'Malley where he and his wife moved in with his Brother-in-Law.

(Vague bit number tow) In one episode the former Mayor (Governor?) who was recently voted out of office appeared and there was a running joke where somoene in the show would say they didn't vote to keep the guy in office and ask "Oh man, did you lose by (number)?" and he wouls look into the middle distance and say "Sigh...no....not by (number)".

Even though that's vague as all hell, I always remember that cameo
Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM

Penny Marshall just did a brilliant cameo on Taxi, trying to explain the concept behind Laverne and Shirley to a bunch of stuffed shirts.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 PM

No mention of Alfred Hitchcock, in many of his films? I guess it's debatable who he was "playing."
Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Not sure if this counts as a cameo, but on Coach, Luther, played by Jerry Van Dyke, attends a Van Dam family reunion, hoping to connect with possible relatives he never met. Realizing he doesn't know anybody there, Luther comments, "I don't look like anybody here." As he does, Jerry Van Dyke's brother Dick comes walking by.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Done a million times on The Larry Sanders Show. The guest celebrities play themselves as guests on Larry's late night talk show and with some exceptions usually come off looking entitled and self-absorbed like, you know, celebrities.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
The Yardbirds in Blow-Up (1966)

Marcel Marceau in Silent Movie (1976) – It is debatable whether the other well-known movie stars playing “themselves” in the flick have cameos, extended cameos or supporting roles.

Will Smith in Jersey Girl (2004)

Tom Wolfe in two panels of Dr. Strange #180 (among other appearances in Marvel comics):

http://atocom.blogspot.com/2018/05/t...r-strange.html

Roy Thomas appeared in several 60's Marvel comics as himself. There was a joke that Marvel owned the rights to Roy Thomas
Old 01-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Buster Keaton and several other famous silent movie stars appear as themselves in Sunset Boulevard
Kind of borderline, but Bing Crosby did cameos in several Bob Hope movies.

Last edited by furryman; 01-17-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:25 PM

There's Stan Lee as himself in Mallrats.

Arnold Schwarzenegger played himself in as part of a dual role in The Last Action Hero.

Mariska Hargitay in The Love Guru. (Don't watch it, just take my word for it. You're welcome.)

Burt Bacharach in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

Morris Day and the Time in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Old 01-17-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowItAll View Post
Arnold Schwarzenegger played himself in as part of a dual role in The Last Action Hero.
I knew there was one on the tip of my tongue. Underrated film.
Quote:
Burt Bacharach in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
He was in all 3, joined by Elvis Costello in the 2nd one. Tons of cameos: Woody Harrelson, Tom Cruise as himself playing Austin, Gwyneth Paltrow as herself as Dixie Normous.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
Roy Thomas appeared in several 60's Marvel comics as himself. There was a joke that Marvel owned the rights to Roy Thomas
In a similar vein, the Flash once found himself stranded on Earth-Prime, where superheroes only exist as fictional characters in comic books. He enlisted DC editor Julius Schwartz to help him get back to Earth-1. Later, in one of JLA's annual "Crisis" stories, Elliot Maggin got sent to Earth-1, and Carey Bates got sent to Earth-2, while Schwartz stayed home and worried.

In the last issue of the first Man-Thing series, Steve Gerber appears.

In the last issue of the second Man-Thing series, Chris Claremont appears.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Tom Jones in Mars Attacks!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 PM

Hey kids! It's Mark Hamill!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

I've always enjoyed the time in Ocean's 12 when Julia Roberts played Tess who by coincidence looks remarkably like the actress Julia Roberts.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Henny Youngman in Goodfellas.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
Granted, but JEJ plays a straight role.
There are no straight roles in Dr. Strangelove.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:11 PM

Michael Jackson as himself/alien in "Men In Black," and as "himself" in The Simpsons."

"Weird Al" in the first and third "Naked Gun" movies. He was in the second one, but not as himself.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
In a similar vein, the Flash once found himself stranded on Earth-Prime, where superheroes only exist as fictional characters in comic books. He enlisted DC editor Julius Schwartz to help him get back to Earth-1. Later, in one of JLA's annual "Crisis" stories, Elliot Maggin got sent to Earth-1, and Carey Bates got sent to Earth-2, while Schwartz stayed home and worried.

In the last issue of the first Man-Thing series, Steve Gerber appears.

In the last issue of the second Man-Thing series, Chris Claremont appears.
After writer Grant Morrison put Animal Man through the wringer for years, the protagonist walks up to a house and opens the door. Only to meet a quite ordinary man: "I'm Grant. You coming in?"

Explanations and a tying up of loose ends ensues.

It's well done. Here's part of that explanation...
Old 01-18-2019, 12:28 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

In an episode of “Legends of Tomorrow” the heroes realize the bad guy sounds a lot like John Noble. They go back in time to the set of Lord of the rings and get John Noble to say some lines that they need to set up the plan to defeat the baddie.

Of course John Noble played himself and he had already been the voice of the bad guy for multiple episodes. The episode was aptly titled “Guest Starring John Noble.” When he was playing himself it’s one of the few times I have heard him using his real accent.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:35 AM

Barbara Streisand when Roseanne was on SNL. "Like buttah"

Johnny Carson'a "appearance" on the Mary Tyler Moore show as a guest at her party during a blackout.

Not playing herself, but Suzanne Pleshette appearing as Emily Hartley at the end of Newhart.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-18-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Here's a great one, though it was very subtle and from a TV show I doubt anyone here has ever seen: The Duck Factory, a sitcom about an animation studio starring Jim Carrey.
I remember it. And the catchy theme tune. Pity the show itself was rather tepid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowItAll View Post
There's Stan Lee as himself in Mallrats.
Stan Lee is, of course, King of the Cameo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
You may well be the only one that enjoyed that. For many of us, it was a Mack truck driven through the veneer of suspension of disbelief. "Hey wait - you look like George Clooney[/b] and you look like Brad Pitt! What an amazing coincidence!"

Lawrence Fishburne had a cameo on The Muppets that still makes me laugh. He basically just drives by and insults Kermit.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post

You may well be the only one that enjoyed that. For many of us, it was a Mack truck driven through the veneer of suspension of disbelief. "Hey wait - you look like George Clooney[/b] and you look like Brad Pitt! What an amazing coincidence!"
I always thought that was the point to all of those movies! I left the veneer in the lobby.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

In an episode of Green Acres, Oliver and Lisa go to see their senator. Lisa asks him "What actor are you?" since at the time actors were getting into politics. The actor says, "Lyle Talbot," his real name. Talbot is probably best known as the only decent actor in Plan 9 From Outer Space.

I thought the Julia Roberts thing was a great moment. The George Clooney Oceans movie had little to do with reality in any respect. And not exactly new -- remember Ralph Bellamy in His Girl Friday, where his character was described as looking like Ralph Bellamy.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Since SNL has been mentioned, one of the greatest highlights is then Mayor Rudy Giuliani doing the opening on their 2001 season opener, days after 9/11:

Lorne Michaels: "Can we be funny?"

Rudy Giuliani: "Why start now? (Pause) Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!"
"
Live from New York, New York was still alive.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-18-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM

SNL, again:

A very, VERY early epi had Charles Grodin as guest host and Paul Simon as musical guest. Simon is about to do a number when Grodin appears with an Art Garfunkel wig and begs to sing with Paul. Argument ensues, Simon walks off, leaving Grodin alone on the stage. Here comes Garfunkel--Give me the wig, Charles--and he leaves. Hilarious.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
There are no straight roles in Dr. Strangelove.
You very, very bad man.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
And not exactly new -- remember Ralph Bellamy in His Girl Friday, where his character was described as looking like Ralph Bellamy.
The most famous example of this is Boris Karloff's role in the Broadway production of Arsenic and Old Lace. (The joke was not as funny with Raymond Massey in the film version.)

In Forever, Darling, Lucille Ball gets spiritual guidance from an angel, who takes the form of James Mason. Why James Mason? Because she would pay attention to someone who looks like James Mason. In one scene, she goes to a theater to watch a movie. The film-within-a-film stars James Mason.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
I knew there was one on the tip of my tongue. Underrated film.

He was in all 3, joined by Elvis Costello in the 2nd one. Tons of cameos: Woody Harrelson, Tom Cruise as himself playing Austin, Gwyneth Paltrow as herself as Dixie Normous.
Kevin Spacey as himself playing Dr. Evil. Danny DeVito as himself playing Mini-Me. And of course, Steven Spielberg.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
If we're including comic book creators, and talking about Roy Thomas, we have to talk about the Rutland Halloween Parade issues, which spanned multiple Marvel and DC comics in the early 70s, and featured cameos from several comic book artists and writers. (The first couple of images at that link are missing now, but most of the illustrations are still there when you scroll further down).

To briefly summarize, the small city of Rutland, Vermont, held (and still holds) an annual Halloween parade in which a lot of people dressed as superheroes. This was kind of notable, as it was long before superhero cosplay became a thing, and it attracted the attention of several comic book creators, who started attending. Eventually they liked it so much that they started setting some stories there, and put themselves into the issues. It's kind of fun, but weird at the same time.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
In an episode of “Legends of Tomorrow” the heroes realize the bad guy sounds a lot like John Noble. They go back in time to the set of Lord of the rings and get John Noble to say some lines that they need to set up the plan to defeat the baddie.

Of course John Noble played himself and he had already been the voice of the bad guy for multiple episodes. The episode was aptly titled “Guest Starring John Noble.” When he was playing himself it’s one of the few times I have heard him using his real accent.
Just the one I was going to mention.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Kevin Spacey as himself playing Dr. Evil. Danny DeVito as himself playing Mini-Me. And of course, Steven Spielberg.
Got called away before I could edit. And John Travolta playing himself playing Goldmember.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Peter Falk as Peter Falk the angel in Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin). And probably Nick Cave (and the other Bad Seeds) as themselves.

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 01-18-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:46 PM

I like when Merv Griffin shows up in The Man With Two Brains, and rants about his inability to get away with lurking due to his celebrity.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

In the "Columbo" ep Uneasy Lies the Crown, Columbo walks in on a card game, and three of the players are Ron Cey, Nancy Walker, and Dick Sargent.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Almost forgot, The Beatles first make an appearance in Strange Tales #130, and are later featured in at least a dozen titles. (Although I'm not sure you can count the comic adaptation of Yellow Submarine)

Alice Cooper as himself in Dark Shadows.

Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) appears as himself in The Stupids

Last edited by furryman; 01-18-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

When Paul Simon was the guest singer on an episode of SNL, Senator Paul Simon showed up.

It was hilarious
Old 01-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
In the "Columbo" ep Uneasy Lies the Crown, Columbo walks in on a card game, and three of the players are Ron Cey, Nancy Walker, and Dick Sargent.
The fourth one, the one doing all of the impressions, was John Roarke, who was a performer on the late-night sketch show Fridays.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

In the circus movie "The Greatest Show on Earth" there is a scene panning the crowd. Bob Hope and Bing Crosby are sitting in the front row eating popcorn
Old 01-19-2019, 12:23 PM

It may be easier to say who hasn't voiced themselves on The Simpsons.

The one person I can think of who was asked but turned the show down: Bruce Springsteen - and, in fact, "his" part was rewritten for Sting.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 PM

In Airplane a soldier in the psych ward believes he is Ethel Merman, played by Ethel Merman.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:42 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

A while ago I started a thread asking a similar question. I was specifically looking for examples of celebrities playing an unflattering version of them selves for laughs. I was also trying to figure out if the Larry Sanders Show is what made this into a popular plot device.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=788260
Old 01-22-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
A while ago I started a thread asking a similar question. I was specifically looking for examples of celebrities playing an unflattering version of them selves for laughs. I was also trying to figure out if the Larry Sanders Show is what made this into a popular plot device.

This would totally explain Seinfeld...
Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Preceded by Garry Shandling's own It's Garry Shandling's Show, which is more likely to have launched the genre in a significant way.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
If we're including comic book creators, and talking about Roy Thomas, we have to talk about the Rutland Halloween Parade issues, which spanned multiple Marvel and DC comics in the early 70s, and featured cameos from several comic book artists and writers. (The first couple of images at that link are missing now, but most of the illustrations are still there when you scroll further down).

To briefly summarize, the small city of Rutland, Vermont, held (and still holds) an annual Halloween parade in which a lot of people dressed as superheroes. This was kind of notable, as it was long before superhero cosplay became a thing, and it attracted the attention of several comic book creators, who started attending. Eventually they liked it so much that they started setting some stories there, and put themselves into the issues. It's kind of fun, but weird at the same time.
Even weirder because it seems to have been the entire point...

Dave Sim in Cerebus the Aardvark. Somewhere between issues 187 and 190 - we're talking 15 years of comics - the lead character Cerebus begins conversing with an all-knowing entity named 'Dave' who reveals his possible futures and pasts.

It's. Truly. Weird.

And in interviews Sim said that he'd had the entire run of Cerebus laid out in his mind up until the point where 'Dave' introduces himself to Cerebus. The entire run. From that point on it just got weirder and less coherent. Hemingway appeared. F. Scott Fitzgerald appeared. The Three Stooges appeared. Cerebus ended up an award winning hockey goalie.

As I said. Weird.

Last edited by Jonathan Chance; 01-23-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

In the 1940s, comic book creators were definitely NOT famous, but when Bob Kane was the lead artist on Batman, Bruce Wayne bore a striking resemblance to Bob Kane.

Last edited by mbh; 01-23-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

I WAS going to mention Regis Philbin appearing as himself in 1992's Night and the City, but at the last minute, I noticed that the thread title calls for our favorite cameos.

So I have to go with George Raft flipping his silver dollar while he watched the brawl in Casino Royale (the good one; not that monstrosity where everyone acts as though Bond deserves to be taken seriously).

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-23-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:43 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
Done a million times on The Larry Sanders Show. The guest celebrities play themselves as guests on Larry's late night talk show and with some exceptions usually come off looking entitled and self-absorbed like, you know, celebrities.

My nominations are David Duchovny appearing (twice IIRC) on The Larry Sanders Show followed by Garry Shandling appearing on The X-Files. I strongly recommend you go look them up and watch them. In that order.

Funniest line ever to appear on The X-Files. "Mostly?!"

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 01-23-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:51 PM

Henry Mancini applauding from the cheap seats after Pink Panther conducts the Pink Panther Theme.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
(2) The famous person is playing a heightened, fictionalized or exaggerated version of themself, sometimes making fun of one of their known characteristics, sometimes just having weird quirks added.

The first thing that popped in my head when reading this was Rick Springfield in Californication. Hilarious.