Old 08-09-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Jack is not a bourbon, it is in the category of Tennessee whiskey.
Tennessee whiskey is a type of bourbon. All Tennessee whiskey is bourbon. Jack Daniels is bourbon.

You can sell a sandwich as a Manwich if you want, and you can even copyright what a Manwich is, but you don't get to redefine the meaning of sandwich. A Manwich is still a sandwich. Jack Daniels is bourbon.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Overpriced for what it is. If I'm going to use a mixer I'll buy Even Williams.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Doesn’t the state of Kentucky exercise some kind of legal right to the term “Bourbon,” seeing that Bourbon county is in Kentucky?

I know that when a New Hampshire maple farm sold their syrup as “Made in Vermont,” Vermont stomped them down right quick.

As for Tennessee whiskey — none of which have “Bourbon” on their labels — I enjoy George Dickel very much (it’s high-priced in NYS, but fairly cheap in Maine, where i spend a couple weeks each summer), and haven’t tasted Jack in many years. Sadly, I have to take my place as one of the cash-poor boozehounds around here.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 08-10-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Kentucky doesn't have any say in it - the Feds do. And they say "bourbon" can be made anywhere in the USA.

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[21] must be:

Produced in the United States[22]
Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[23]
Aged in new, charred oak containers[23]
Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[23]
Entered into the container for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)[23]
Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)[24]
Old 08-10-2019, 10:37 AM

I thought the Black Label JD was okay on the first try. The next time I bought it, I liked it far less. It's fine for mixing but not much else. Plenty of other stuff on the shelf is far superior.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

If you offered me a Jack Daniels, neat, I would drink a Jack Daniels, neat.

If you asked me what I want to drink, well, Jack won't top my list. Not overly fond of bourbon in general, though some small-batch offerings I've had were quite nice.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 PM

Just today I got a flyer that came from my Great Grandpa who had a general store in rural TN in the late 1800's early 1900's. It is an order flyer from at least 1913 (they list an award for that year). It is for all Jack Daniel's products available. Old No 7 (green label) is $5.00 per gallon. Uncle Jack Straight Tennessee Whiskey is $3.50 per gallon. Topaz Corn Whiskey is $4.00 per gallon. Lem Motlow's Apple Brandy is $6.00 per gallon, and Pure Corn 100 Proof Whiskey is $3.00 per gallon.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:11 PM

In effect, Jack Daniels meets every legal requirement to be called bourbon, but they're just not calling it that for marketing reasons.

Even the state law in Tennessee defines it as effectively being bourbon using the Lincoln County Process. (https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...hiskey+Law.pdf) Federally speaking, there is no category for Tennessee whiskey, so legally it's a bourbon as far as the Federal government is concerned.

And NAFTA's description is:

Quote:
1. Canada and Mexico shall recognize Bourbon Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey, which is a straight Bourbon Whiskey authorized to be produced only in the State of Tennessee, as distinctive products of the United States. Accordingly, Canada and Mexico shall not permit the sale of any product as Bourbon Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey, unless it has been manufactured in the United States in accordance with the laws and regulations of the United States governing the manufacture of Bourbon Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey.
So the people in Lynchburg might want to claim it's something different, but the truth is that Tennessee whiskey is legally speaking, a subset of bourbon, as in all Tennessee whiskeys are bourbons, but not all bourbons are Tennessee whiskeys.

And it's essentially interchangeable in applications that call for bourbon- you can make a perfectly good Old Fashioned with Jack Daniels if you want, for example.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:07 PM

Their renown is certainly a product of a LOT of marketing - I've been to London a few times in the past year or so, and the J&D ads in the tube stood out to me - they were of the black & white photo of old folks sitting on a porch, "Here in Lynchburg, pop. 69, we do things the old fashioned way (like heavily advertising in London subways?)" sort of thing.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Their renown is certainly a product of a LOT of marketing - I've been to London a few times in the past year or so, and the J&D ads in the tube stood out to me - they were of the black & white photo of old folks sitting on a porch, "Here in Lynchburg, pop. 69, we do things the old fashioned way (like heavily advertising in London subways?)" sort of thing.
They're the American whiskey counterpart to the other heavily marketed, but mid-range liquors such as Bacardi, Jose Cuervo, Smirnoff Vodka, Crown Royal Canadian whiskey and Johnnie Walker scotch.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Not really relevant but when I read a book about Tabasco Sauce a while back, I was surprised that the barrels they age the peppers for three years in are from Jack Daniels. It's just a cheap source of barrels since when a shipment comes in, all the char is wire brushed out then a layer of wax applied on the inside -- no trace of whiskey flavor is left. The barrels are maintained and reused until they can no longer be made water tight, upwards of twenty years.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
If you want a great bourbon with a balanced amount of bight, spice, oak, etc I would recommend Woodford Reserve.
+1. I'm a big fan of Woodford Reserve. Great quality for just a couple extra bucks.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:48 PM

I just bought some JD to see if my memory served. So, yeah, drinkable ... or at least I wouldn't refuse if someone was serving it to me.

Now, that I've been biased by reading about the Tennessee Whiskey process, I think I can taste the maple.

Review: Sharp, not mellow, not refined. Too sweet. Won't buy again till a few decades have passed should I live so long.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:07 PM

I donít like it personally ... and I donít consider myself a snob. That and Wild Turkey are both the equivalent donkey piss.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

You are dead to me.