Old 08-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Bright Burn. Excellent premise but poor execution.

Bright Burn is a twist on the Superman origin story. But instead of being good, the kid turns out to be an evil fuck (despite having loving parents).

I felt the whole movie was rushed. I wish they spent more time with the world building. And the writing itself was sub par.

Anybody else watch this?
Old 08-22-2019, 02:34 PM

I disagree. I thought its execution was far better than it's undead-horse premise.

It was a bit rushed, and it could have either made it clear just how much the ship was influencing Brandon and how much was inate psychopathy/alien nature, or made something of the ambiguity about that.

But, yeah...evil Superman is a pretty done to death premise (both by DC itself and by other companies), though focusing on his childhood is a rare version.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
It was a bit rushed, and it could have either made it clear just how much the ship was influencing Brandon and how much was inate psychopathy/alien nature, or made something of the ambiguity about that.
Oops. This paragraph was supposed to conclude with 'but it was an entertaining ride, with some good scares'.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

One thing that took me out of the movie was I didn't buy that a country dad, who likes to hunt, would object to his 12yo son getting a riffle for his birthday.

Also, a two day suspension for crushing a girls hand like that? Lol. Come on.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
But, yeah...evil Superman is a pretty done to death premise
In live-action film, though? And not stupid "split personality" Superman from Superman III, but an actual evil Superman or expy? I can only think of animated and TV versions (Ultraman, Justice Lords Superman, etc)

Last edited by MrDibble; 08-23-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I agree. I wrote a review for it this summer and here is what I wrote:

Quote:
What would happen if Superman turned out to be evil/crazy/psychopathic instead of a force for good?

Answer? Well, a disappointing movie would come out of it. Wow, did I hope this movie would be better than it ended up being. I'm not even sure if I can put into words what I was hoping, but it was something a lot better than the average horror movie we got. This movie is essentially a horror movie about a boy who has superpowers and kills a few people using them.

A depressing movie, but also not effective in conveying any sense of fear or intensity. I found myself disappointed that this is what they came up with. I could have read a description of the entire movie in a paragraph and the movie we got would be pretty much as interesting as a summary.

Only OK performances, not the actors fault. The director delivered a pretty flat movie and this one is the first movie of the summer I would probably recommend you skip.